Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Who works in restaurants on military bases overseas? If Kandahar Airfield has a TGI Fridays, who are the employees? Troops? Civilians with special clearance to work overseas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
A bunch of Indians or Pakistanis who run it like they would a street meat market in Dehli or Peshawar along with all the health code violations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Also you can be absolutely certain that the contractor employing said Indians/Pakistanis/Nepalis is cheerfully exploiting the poo poo out of them thanks to lax oversight and non-existant local laws.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
No poo poo, everything on the boardwalk at KAF (except for the smoothie place and the pizza kebab place) got shut down for a couple weeks after COMKAF ordered the military inspectors to conduct a health check...the military folks normally only regularly inspected the DFACs since the boardwalk was ~independent contractors~ or something. Among the things they found:

- rat poo poo all over everything
- Buttloads of expired/rotten food products
- Turning off refrigeration at night to save on electricity....this was in the middle of the summer where it's still 95+ degrees after the sun goes down. I suspect that a fair portion of the rotten food products had to do with sitting in non-refrigerated storage crates for 8-12 hours a day.

All this was disseminated to everyone on KAF, via like 5 different methods (email, CC calls, flyers, etc)...People still ate there when they opened back up

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dead Reckoning posted:

Also you can be absolutely certain that the contractor employing said Indians/Pakistanis/Nepalis is cheerfully exploiting the poo poo out of them thanks to lax oversight and non-existant local laws.

Well, "exploiting" is a relative term. They're probably better off than they would be as indentured laborers in the Gulf states.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'll never forget the Seabees inside the air conditioned place drinking beer while the local nationals slaved away laying asphalt in the grueling heat. I never actually saw them work. Occasionally one had a clipboard and was pointing at things and sometimes I saw them driving heavy equipment around

Come to think of it I don't think they ever actually work. They're too busy pretending to be combat arms and talking about the prestige of being a seabee or some poo poo.

Nice dudes tho

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
A little off topic, but I think LEO/military would be able to give the best answer. What brand should I be looking at for a self defense pepper spray?

Looking for one that has a stream rather than fog and comes in around 2oz size. Primary use will be for aggressive animals including loose dogs that don't otherwise respond (bike touring through lovely rural areas) and the otherwise "standard" human issues. Halt is commonly marketed for animal defense, but some of the reviews I've seen are that it's way too weak and doesn't always work on larger dogs which kind of defeats the whole purpose.

So far I'm looking at Fox Labs 2% OC but I want to see if there are any other suggestions. (Yes, it's legal in my state)

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Sentient Data posted:

A little off topic, but I think LEO/military would be able to give the best answer. What brand should I be looking at for a self defense pepper spray?

Looking for one that has a stream rather than fog and comes in around 2oz size. Primary use will be for aggressive animals including loose dogs that don't otherwise respond (bike touring through lovely rural areas) and the otherwise "standard" human issues. Halt is commonly marketed for animal defense, but some of the reviews I've seen are that it's way too weak and doesn't always work on larger dogs which kind of defeats the whole purpose.

So far I'm looking at Fox Labs 2% OC but I want to see if there are any other suggestions. (Yes, it's legal in my state)

buy a whole bunch and then test them on yourself. only way to know for sure

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
or friends/family whose opinion you trust. dont rely on the word of strangers

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
What no nonsense USB CAC card reader should I order for my laptop so I can do all that AKO iPerms ALMS stuff at home?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
This is the one I bought, because it's the same one I have at work.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Systems...+folding+reader

I've got two of these laying around home.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
stop bringing work home with you

just kidding thats impossible

some leadership needs to realize that being a "soldier 24/7" isnt the same as "on duty 24/7" but whatever

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Crazy Mike posted:

What no nonsense USB CAC card reader should I order for my laptop so I can do all that AKO iPerms ALMS stuff at home?

Why are you buying one when you can just ask your unit for an extra? If you're Guard or Reserve, most units will give you one for home use. Hell, you could probably look in a random supply closet and find a couple dozen lying around.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Welp, it's finally that time. Anyone know a good place to buy a silver dollar coin for my first salute?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Either a local coin/bullion shop (I got mine in a mall), or online. APMEX is a decent site.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Red Crown posted:

Welp, it's finally that time. Anyone know a good place to buy a silver dollar coin for my first salute?

Antique shops also usually will have some decently priced ones.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
gently caress that, the first time an NCO salutes you, pull out a moist, folded one dollar bill and slide it into the elastic of his underwear while maintaining eye contact.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I've been in for almost 15 years and never knew that silver dollar thing. Does the Air Force play along with that?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nullscan posted:

I've been in for almost 15 years and never knew that silver dollar thing. Does the Air Force play along with that?

It's probably been banned as a hazing practice

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

nullscan posted:

It was a thing at OTS.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Long time listener, first time caller. I guess I'm just curious why would anyone join in peace time

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Godholio posted:

It was a thing at OTS.

They've recently phased it out at Navy OCS, now you're supposed to give it to your first salute at a real base.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Long time listener, first time caller. I guess I'm just curious why would anyone join in peace time

I've got faith I can get in on this "Era of persistent conflict" thing if I really want to.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Booblord Zagats posted:

This is the United States of America. We're never at peace, we're just reloading.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

We have a refractory period between conflicts. Uncle Sam just needs a sandwich.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
For whatever reason colonels and generals love to talk to officer candidates and LTs and nearly all of them mention that they think the US will find itself in some kind conflict in the next few years and they offer that opinion unprompted.

Basically the gist of what they say is that the world is pretty unstable and it's just a matter of when rather than if the US goes to war again in the next few years.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
We'd already be at war if we had a Republican President tbh. It has taken an absurd amount of isolationism from Obama to keep things as toned down as they currently are, but pretty much whoever wins out of Hillary or the Republican is going to be more hawkish than O was.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Volkerball posted:

We'd already be at war if we had a Republican President tbh. It has taken an absurd amount of isolationism from Obama to keep things as toned down as they currently are, but pretty much whoever wins out of Hillary or the Republican is going to be more hawkish than O was.

Yeah we've dumped thousands of tons of bombs on Iraq and Syria and are putting boots on the ground. I hate to break the news to you, but...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Booblord Zagats posted:

I signed up for ROTC pre-9/11 on the theory that I'd spend 4 years getting paid to cruise around the world drinking in every country.

These days? No idea.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Godholio posted:

Yeah we've dumped thousands of tons of bombs on Iraq and Syria and are putting boots on the ground. I hate to break the news to you, but...

On ISIS. Hillary and the Republicans talk about Assad as well, which is an infinitely more complicated situation than a cosmetic bombing campaign. Being a catalyst for regime change is something Obama has opposed all along relative to his peers. And SOCOM has been involved all along with the fight against ISIS, so there's no real escalation there.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Putting it in the news a couple of weeks after Russia makes a similar announcement is a loving escalation.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
We're not going to war with Russia. There's been several points where we could've gone to war with Assad though, and under different administrations, we very well might have.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
The good thing about going to war with russia is that it would finally be the end of the world probably.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Volkerball posted:

We're not going to war with Russia. There's been several points where we could've gone to war with Assad though, and under different administrations, we very well might have.

That doesn't mean we're not loving with each other.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Godholio posted:

That doesn't mean we're not loving with each other.

Ok but the whole premise of this conversation is whether a war will kick off soon. I explained why it's quite possible after Obama leaves office.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

The good thing about going to war with russia is that it would finally be the end of the world probably.

I hope so. gently caress this gay Earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Please refer to new thread on this subject:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750679

V/R
Nostalgia4Infinity

• Locked thread