Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
I was sent irr orders november 09, medical exemption denied a month ago, now I'm going to be 'reserve' for 400 days they think I meet the med standards.

My friend sent me a phone pic of the reg, you have to be in regs if you are in civies on duty. I am about to get a loving haircut. loving bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Who cares what they have to say or if you get an ID card right now if you are sure you will get medically DQ'd later?

Did they tell you specifically to cut your hair?

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Isaac Asimov posted:

I was sent irr orders november 09, medical exemption denied a month ago, now I'm going to be 'reserve' for 400 days they think I meet the med standards.

My friend sent me a phone pic of the reg, you have to be in regs if you are in civies on duty. I am about to get a loving haircut. loving bullshit.

What are you worried about, that you'll get an Article 15?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Isaac Asimov posted:

I am at Fort Benning for IRR. Tomorrow we are getting ID cards made while wearing civilian clothing; we won't get uniforms until Friday.

The overweight IRR cadre tell me that I must be "in regulation" in order to get an ID. My friends that have already been through this process tell me that there is no regulation covering hair or beards while in civilian clothes.

Does anyone know? I don't want to cut my long hair and beard(not long) just before possibly medically discharged after the medical screening on wednesday.

Are you going to be required to wear your uniform on Friday? If you are, then just get it cut now. You can't walk around in your uniform like that. I don't think they can discharge you in one day on Wednesday. Personally I would plan to be there a few days even if you think you won't be medically qualified.

If you show without haircut/shaven, the worst thing they can do is refuse you an ID card and then you go to the base barber shop and get it taken care of.

I would guess that since you are getting an IRR card, which is a Geneva Conventions Identification Card (unlike a dependent ID card that is not), that yes, you should have a decent haircut and a shave.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

I still say drag your feet until the last minute.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
Well, its already done. Yes they specifically told me to get everything cut for the ID.
gently caress it, I just hope I can get out of here soon. Everyone is retarded and no one cares.

MaineMan
Jan 10, 2006
Anyone use CHCBP for healthcare after termination of duties? How did you like it?

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Just in case anyone cares, I got refrad(nondeployable status) from IRR as soon as a doctor saw my prescription list. I'm flying home Friday.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Isaac Asimov posted:

Just in case anyone cares, I got refrad(nondeployable status) from IRR as soon as a doctor saw my prescription list. I'm flying home Friday.

:coal:

Congrats, did you get to keep your hair?

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

AB posted:

:coal:

Congrats, did you get to keep your hair?

Thanks bud, nope I had to cut my hair.

My group of 5 total IRR guys all got out of it though, and I gave the very angry 1SG a good handshake on the way out and said, "Hey good luck dude, later!"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Do they bother to piss test you when you get called up from IRR? I could see that as an easy way to get out of it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Isaac Asimov posted:

Thanks bud, nope I had to cut my hair.

My group of 5 total IRR guys all got out of it though, and I gave the very angry 1SG a good handshake on the way out and said, "Hey good luck dude, later!"

hahaha classic

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

psydude posted:

Do they bother to piss test you when you get called up from IRR? I could see that as an easy way to get out of it.
Yeh, they piss test you on the third day.

We all self-referred for ASAP on the second day, just in case the docs ignored all our medical records(each one of our medical exemptions and appeals had already been dissapproved before we showed up). We found out that if you wrote down that you had been abusing oxycontin(percocet etc) on your ASAP counseling and packet, even if you pissed clean, that you would be barred from deployment and therefore unable to remain in the IRR.
If you happen to not get out of it for whatever reason(like if you only said you use THC), once you leave to go to your unit the ASAP counseling disappears, so even if you don't use drugs its one more way to get out of there. If you piss hot without a self-referral you will get an Article 15 and you will still be sent to your next unit.

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 6, 2010

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Isaac Asimov posted:

Yeh, they piss test you on the third day.

We all self-referred for ASAP on the second day, just in case the docs ignored all our medical records(each one of our medical exemptions and appeals had already been dissapproved before we showed up). We found out that if you wrote down that you had been abusing oxycontin(percocet etc) on your ASAP counseling and packet, even if you pissed clean, that you would be barred from deployment and therefore unable to remain in the IRR.
If you happen to not get out of it for whatever reason(like if you only said you use THC), once you leave to go to your unit the ASAP counseling disappears, so even if you don't use drugs its one more way to get out of there. If you piss hot without a self-referral you will get an Article 15 and you will still be sent to your next unit.

So, wait. Piss hot at an IRR recall and you get orders?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Alright, I've got one. Hit two years TIS last month. I haven't deployed yet- I got into my guard unit when it was in rear detachment mode as a non-qual, and I've been in the same company as a PL ever since. (finished OBC and such last year, returned to unit afterwards) Our next scheduled deployment is in 2012 to Kuwait, so it looks like I'll be behind my peers deployment-wise and experience-wise. How hosed am I for making captain when my first in-zone board is convened?

EBB fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 6, 2010

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Why don't you talk to the AG and see if you can get to a deploying unit?

Probably nor hosed considering the guard is still very short on Os

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

Why don't you talk to the AG and see if you can get to a deploying unit?

Probably nor hosed considering the guard is still very short on Os

Our battalion is hovering around 60% strength with more leaving in the next year or so, they're not really letting people leave to deploy with other units.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Veins McGee posted:

So, wait. Piss hot at an IRR recall and you get orders?

I'm confused about this as well.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

It depends on the drug.

I would still talk to AG a lot about switching units. Even mention you want to join this or that unit because it'll be closer to you (whether or not that is the truth).

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Armyman25 posted:

Do active duty Army officers, specifically Aviation branch, have to do daily organized PT with the unit?

I ask because I find Army PT to be fairly worthless, and I've always done better at keeping myself in shape versus the Army's PT program.

It really does depend on the unit. And the commander. One of my buddies in 4ID CAB (soon to be 1AD CAB) said he had to do all the gay daily platoon PT as a new Lieutenant. However, one of my IPs in the Hawk course said he never had to do organized PT-- and he had a 4ID combat patch. So, it just depends.

AB posted:

Alright, I've got one. Hit two years TIS last month. I haven't deployed yet- I got into my guard unit when it was in rear detachment mode as a non-qual, and I've been in the same company as a PL ever since. (finished OBC and such last year, returned to unit afterwards) Our next scheduled deployment is in 2012 to Kuwait, so it looks like I'll be behind my peers deployment-wise and experience-wise. How hosed am I for making captain when my first in-zone board is convened?

Not sure about the Guard, but making Captain on AD pretty much consists of not committing any felonies.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

It depends on the drug.

Let me get this straight - you get discharged from the army, go on IRR, have to come in (where?) to get something (what?), and they'll piss test you during this process. If you come up hot, depending on the drug, you'll get orders to somewhere, whereas if you're clean they'll just leave you alone. What?

I need to look at my contract again. I don't think I signed up for anything involving the reserves after my time is up, but it's not anything I want to do, and I am very much looking forward to being done with the army when I'm done.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Ok, what I mean is that IRR recall they may or may not activate you. You'd have to do a hard drug for you to get out of it. If you do something like that though, they'll do article 15 poo poo to take away your benefits. You might as well just not show up if you are going the hard drug route.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What about tattoos?

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

You are getting way ahead of yourself psydude.

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
How hard is it to qualify to be a corpsman in the navy? (right out of highschool)

vains
May 26, 2004

Ok, what I mean is that IRR recall they may or may not activate you. You'd have to do a hard drug for you to get out of it. If you do something like that though, they'll do article 15 poo poo to take away your benefits. You might as well just not show up if you are going the hard drug route.

So, in a military, where in most branches you get kicked out/NJPed down to to E-1, you can piss hot for weed at your IRR recall and still possibly get orders? How does this make sense to anyone?

I know the Army isn't that desperate for guys. In either case, recalling from the IRR is absolutely horseshit in all but the most unusual occassions. Raise the bonuses enough to get the proper retention out of the guys that want to be in and let the guys who don't gently caress off to do whatever(until we invade N. Korea or whatever).

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Let me get this straight - you get discharged from the army, go on IRR, have to come in (where?) to get something (what?), and they'll piss test you during this process. If you come up hot, depending on the drug, you'll get orders to somewhere, whereas if you're clean they'll just leave you alone. What?

I need to look at my contract again. I don't think I signed up for anything involving the reserves after my time is up, but it's not anything I want to do, and I am very much looking forward to being done with the army when I'm done.

I can almost guarantee that you have some period of time, probably 4, in the IRR.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Army is an eight year commitment, 4 active 4 IRR. I do not believe there are any exceptions.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Veins McGee posted:

I can almost guarantee that you have some period of time, probably 4, in the IRR.

It basically fills out your requirement to the full 8 years right? So for me it'll be 2 years and 19 weeks.

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

It basically fills out your requirement to the full 8 years right? So for me it'll be 2 years and 19 weeks.

Once you've served eight year you have no IRR requirement, which is what I think you're asking.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

vacation in kabul posted:

Once you've served eight year you have no IRR requirement, which is what I think you're asking.

My contract is for 5 years and 33 weeks. So for me to fill out 8 years the remainder would be 2 years and 19 weeks. I had heard that the IRR is basically a formality, and that barely anyone ever gets called up, but I guess that's just a fantasy.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Jesus, stop with the misinformation and speculation if you don't know what you are talking about. My post didn't make much sense because I'm posting from my phone and I'm tired and stressed out, so I apologize. Tomorrow I will expand on the IRR process and that ASAP loophole.
My flight is delayed but I'm almost home!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

I had heard that the IRR is basically a formality, and that barely anyone ever gets called up

heh heh heh

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Hagetaka posted:

heh heh heh

Just when I thought I was out...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

vacation in kabul posted:

Army is an eight year commitment, 4 active 4 IRR. I do not believe there are any exceptions.

Most contracts total 8 years, usually 4 active/4 IRR. Some contracts are 6 active, 2 IRR, but you can always go 4 active/4 select reserve or 6 active/2 select reserve.

vains
May 26, 2004

psydude posted:

Most contracts total 8 years, usually 4 active/4 IRR. Some contracts are 6 active, 2 IRR, but you can always go 4 active/4 select reserve or 6 active/2 select reserve.

You could do national call to service and get something wacky like 2 years active, 4 select reserve and 2 IRR or something.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Those of us who are cool have 6 years select reserve/2 years IRR.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I posted this in the Army thread, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to get as many viewpoints as possible....

Well, as of right now, I'm disqualified from joining the Army, because I have a history of gout. Now, to clear things up, I went to a doc-in-the-box clinic in Texas 7 years ago, and the doctor said I might have gout. I went to my doctor in Kentucky 6 years ago, and I told him what the other doctor said, and he said if I did have gout, that it was because I was morbidly obese (6'3", 370lbs). During the course of the next year, I lost 140 pounds, I go to the gym, and run regularly. Apparently gout isn't waiverable, so my recruiter told me to go to my doctor and get him to write a really detailed letter explaining that I could have possibly been misdiagnosed with gout, and that if I did have it, it was due to being extremely overweight. He also suggested maybe getting my own physical or bloodwork or whatever they do to test for gout done, just to see if it's even an issue.

I really, really, really want this. Can anyone think of ANYTHING else I can do to help my case?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Get proof that you don't have it.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
I have no earthly idea but congrats on losing 140 lbs, holy cow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
or you just not mention it at MEPS in the first place. What is happening to my military nowadays. Back in the day we were encouraged by our recruiters to lie

• Locked thread