Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Quarterly Prophet posted:

How easy is it to establish residency in new states where you intend to live after serving? I'm trying to think long term so that when I apply for schools once I get out, I don't have to deal with paying the gap between in state and out of state tuition rates.

Like iyaayas said, it varies from state to state but isn't super difficult or anything in most cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

ElMaligno posted:

At least I didn't lie to myself and joined because some bullshit reason like "I feel patriotic and I want to serve my country! :patriot:".

hurf yeah a desire to serve is sure bullshit, you got it nailed

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

ElMaligno posted:

I mean that more in the way that "I did not lie" rather than "hurr hurr patriots are morons hurr", I apologize if that didn't came out right.

Aww, it's cool, nobody ever apologized to me before :shobon:

Sorry I might have come off a little crusty there, my bad.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

miseerin posted:

Question: Is getting a degree from AMU (American Military University) worth it? How legit is that school?

My situation: I don't know if I want to go back to school, but if I did I would want to be a War History/Military History teacher for high school. I would rather work on the history part first before actually getting a teaching degree.

We had this debate in another thread (it's on the first or second page, the title deals with education I think.)

The consensus from prior military civilians (i.e. dudes who got out and are now in the real world) was that employers don't care where you got your degree from unless it's like an Ivy League class place, or an absolute unknown fly by night diploma mill.

The consensus from military people (it seemed to me -- I could have mis-interpreted) was that you shouldn't go to a place you haven't heard of (i.e. a real world school that you could visit, which might have an online component, like OU or ERAU.) This is because many military people do fall prey to no poo poo shady places that take your money and give you a worthless degree.

Overall opinion on AMU seems mixed. I have at least a few officer friends getting Masters' from it, and at least a few enlisted getting BS degrees from it. Overall I would say it's ... in my personal opinion you could do better -- BUT -- it's not a fake rear end diploma mill that is worthless. It appears to be a more or less legit place.

Anyone wishing to tell me to eat turds is welcome to comment, this is just what I observed from that long rear end thread we just had.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

psydude posted:

And this makes me wonder why more people don't consider UMD's distance learning program. It's popular among military and civilian students and gives you the exact same degree as if you were to sit in class at College Park.

e: From reading this forum and talking with professors, a good rule of thumb is to avoid any college that has a campus on a military base. They are, more or less, diploma mills. If you are interested in becoming a highschool teacher, you will eventually have to pursue a master's degree. Very few worthwhile master's programs will accept a certificate from a diploma mill.

What do you mean by 'has a campus?' If you mean 'has an office at the education center and offers classes at a base' this is not correct. At most AF bases for example there will be Troy State, ERAU and maybe Regis (and others) that have offices there, offer classes/degrees there with their professors teaching in Education Center classrooms, etc. Those places are not Ivy League by any stretch but they are not diploma mills, they are real schools. (ERAU has an actual campus, it's actually a sort of known place!)

(As for UMD, I haven't seen them everywhere, some AF bases do have distance learning through UMD (where actual professors come and teach in a classroom) but not all do. Of course if you mean 'over the internet' you're right, UMD is a good school.)

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Ron Jeremy posted:

What are some ballpark times to make e-7? I know it varies highly by service/mos/rating, but just for kicks.

Army - 11B - 10 years
Navy - BM - 12 years

or whatever the guess is.

The overall USAF average is 16 years to pin on MSgt (E-7.) I don't know if they keep stats by AFSC.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Conscript posted:

Tell me the problem with pain pills in the services? Im under the impression a % of the service is loaded on opiates all day.
Your impression is wrong

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

claptrap posted:

Just wondering if anyone knows where to find a picture of female head gear for the US Army Class A uniform prior to adoption of the Beret as standard head gear

They didnt wear a oval office cap right? the one with the bill

I dunno, but if they did, I bet they didn't call it that

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

claptrap posted:

Yeah I can't find one either. I can't remember the offical name for it I guess.

All those chicks are barracks dykes fyi

Dude that's from a Jessica Simpson movie and in closing you are dumb

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Regicide posted:

My command does no passes, but can they restrict me to post say on a regular work day? If I just wanted to go out the gate for one reason or another. Do I have any sort of protection from that?

Yeah but I mean unless the Navy is just like that, they don't usually restrict officers to post...I mean I've never heard of it unless say like post 9/11 when the base was on lockdown. But I can't imagine you'd ever be restricted as an officer unless you do something pretty wrong...

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Regicide posted:

See I'm trying to find some regulation to back me because of a friend of mine who recently ETS was flagged for either PT failure, or being overweight. He went to JAG apparently and they said that it was a big no-no and our company got in trouble. That was an entirely different chain of command though so it could have "slipped" their minds. I heard my first line supervisor the other day trying to tell a soldier who was also flagged that he was restricted to base.

Is going to JAG as simple as just walking in and asking to talk to somebody?

Oh well I got no idea about being flagged, I just didn't think they'd ever do it to officers.

Anyway, yes, talking to the JAG is that easy, you just maybe make an appointment or else just walk in. Although wouldn't you want the ADC?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Regicide posted:

Yes, I do but if they ever come down on for going off post I want to have something to back me up... hell, my company commander has given me a ride off post when he saw me waiting at the bus stop. It's just my first line supervisor that I am worried about. If that's the rules and most NCO's and officers just look the other way? OK. But then there's that one NCO, on that one bad day that flips his poo poo... ya know?

Are you talking about coming down on YOU? Seriously does the Navy restrict officers to post? If so, ahahaha.

quote:

Analog to digital converter? I don't know what ADC is?

Sorry, Area Defense Counsel, I guess the Navy calls it something different -- the JAG folks that are on the defense, that is, YOUR side. The ones who defend you if you are accused of something (while the JAG prosecutes you.)

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

grover posted:

I think you're confusing Regicide (Army E-1) with m0tbaille/Amanda Hugnkiss (Navy O-1). It's OK, happens all the time!

Oh God I did confuse the two, I apologize, sorry everyone :(

quote:

Navy's solution is a web-based system you're supposed to use if a hurricane or something hits so that your boss knows you're not dead (yet).

USAF has that too, it's not terrible (I mean it's relatively easy to use and works pretty well most of the time)

Slippery fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 17, 2010

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Hagetaka posted:

I've seen this assignment before, except as the S3 for the Rebel Alliance planning the final assault on the Death Star

cue one frantic LT asking all the lower enlisted who has a copy of Star Wars he can borrow

Probably just torrent it.

If I got asked that I'd hand over a Star Wars VHS just to mess with him

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
I have no earthly idea but congrats on losing 140 lbs, holy cow.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

my recruiter taught me that answering YES to the medical personel in a simple way

Your Enlistment Stops

while

New Opportunities

but slippery is going to cme in with some gay poo poo now

I dunno. I mean on the one hand sure, I don't want dudes to lie to me, but on the other hand how many times has this happened to me

Boss: did you do X?
Me: Sure did!
*runs off to go do X right quick*

I mean so, for all that I AM pretty simple minded about right and wrong, I try not to be overly stupid about it.

I guess for enlisting I figure, hiding/lying about something that's going to affect your unit or your buddies by coming back to haunt you (i.e. medical condition) is different from saying "well yeah I experimented" when the reality is "I smoked a poo poo ton of weed." Just so long as you don't plan to smoke it any more on active duty.

You know what I mean? (what I mean is quit fuckin pigeonholing me)

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

yeah that was pretty gay dude

I think about poo poo so I have a thoughtful response when some dude asks me something

I am also very attractive*

*not really

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

you...think about your OER

its ok dude

Personally I prefer an honest approach with my soldiers but I am *gasp* enlisted and not a gentleman so w/e

I did give the honest answer though??

also you are kinda being silly if you think officers really go around thinking about their performance reports, I mean really.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Slippery u no i love u

I know, man, I love you too. Officers just don't always 'get' jokes.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

psydude posted:

*Only applies to those who those who didn't attend an academy.

Wait you're an ROTC guy aren't you?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Pooboo posted:

If I get involuntarily discharged under Honorable conditions will TMO ship my belongings back home? I think more specifically, I'm worried about the possibility of having to buy my family's plane tickets back home (I'm in Alaska - HOR is Texas) since I got married up here. They're command sponsored since then though and considered my dependents. They won't screw me over here, will they?

What about if it's a General discharge what then :ohdear:

General IS "under honorable conditions" though?

I mean you got
Honorable
General (under honorable conditions)
Under Other Than Honorable Conditions
BCD
DD

Right? Or am I misunderstanding/forgetting something?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

The commander who approves/denies your AGCM can do it for any reason he sees is fit, all counselings aside

you havent been in even a year yet why are you so concerned about this.

Plus, of all things, the good conduct medal -- so essential to military operations that it got completely shitcanned a few years ago (although it was brought back))

(personally I think it should exist, it's just that I've never heard anyone actively CARE about it)

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

iyaayas01 posted:

Wait, did it get shitcanned across the services? I thought it was only the AF that did away with it, since pretty much everyone still in uniform qualified for it since we actually have standards as opposed to some of the other, more manpower desperate, services.

ooooh, dis!

I don't know, I just know the AF canned it for a while. I don't think it was for all services though, sorry should have specified.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Hagetaka posted:

No. I'm working blue collar now after getting out of IT/telephones. I enjoy it, but you still better make sure it's something with prospects or you'll be double miserable.

Look into a professional trade. The Army still has carpenters, pipefitters, etc.

Speaking of blue collar/trade --

The USAF has a civil engineering AFSC called power production ("power pro")

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforceenlistedjobs/a/afjob3e0x2.htm

about.com posted:

Duties and Responsibilities:

Installs, removes, and operates electrical power generating and control systems, automatic transfer switches, aircraft arresting systems, and associated equipment. Checks equipment for serviceability. Positions equipment such as gasoline, and diesel engines; generators; switchgears; air compressors; and other power generating auxiliary equipment. Installs, positions, rewinds, and pretensions aircraft arresting systems. Certifies aircraft arresting systems as required.

Also a ton of other poo poo. I've met a few power pro folks and they all seem to love it, and they all say it sets them up well for work on the outside, making decent money.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Busket_in_Posket posted:

That sounds AWESOME. Though the most I know about the AF right now is all the force-shaping and sperging for the Lord. If I walked into a recruiter's office and said I WANT TO BE A POWER PRO would I have to wait in line?

I am not a recruiter, but it would depend on whether they had any need for that AFSC at that time. In other words they have quotas of jobs to fill and may have openings in various AFSCs at various times. However as I understand it, if you go in and say you won't sign unless and until that AFSC comes open, you should eventually get it.

Recruiting gets slots per FY for various AFSCs so I mean you certainly CAN get it if you demand hard enough. There are plenty of people in this forum that can advise you better though.

Anyway like I said I know a few people in that AFSC and they really do love it, work with your hands, learn a good trade, money in the real world, have fun etc. and so forth. I am not a CE officer but it sure seems good if that's what you're looking for.

quote:

Now I'm torn between that and joining Navy as a different rate and reclassing to MUSE later on. Navy was my first choice. Swabbing poop decks and all.

I'd only note that it seems odd to go enlist with the purpose of doing something different; that is, you are 'stuck' being something else for X years until that possibility opens, and who knows what might happen between now and then? Just my opinion though.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

revenance posted:

Polys and clearances are not mutually inclusive and specific agencies and branches of the military have specific requirements for them, regardless of your status as military, civilian or contractor. The end. Stop making it more complicated than it is ("slipperifying").

No no, you see, one must exhaust all possible outcomes of a situation before choosing a given path upon which to embark; proper understanding of all facets of any problem at great and detailed length is essential to...

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Full Battle Rattle posted:

If that's not a bullet, I don't know what is.

More of a dribble, really.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

hammeredspace posted:

It's more like a case of me witnessing a couple of 0-Nothings strutting down the street getting all butt-hurt that one of those enlisted didn't render a salute to him.

And I agree that protocol should be followed even this situation but seriously if the grizzled 25+ year E-9 blows off LTJR Corky, he just ain't getting a loving tap. Sorry.

But a 25+ year E-9 wouldn't do that, I mean yeah there are probably one or two douchebags, but I think we can all agree that 99% of the 25-30 year enlisted crew are very willing to salute, call 2Lts "sir" and so forth even though if they chose not to, nobody would ever say much of anything about it.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
ooooh, dis.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Is there any way I can convince the military to pay for flying lessons? I would love to give it a shot, but $$$. Comedy option of becoming a military pilot already considered.

Wouldn't TA cover that? I'm not sure but I would at least check into it.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

I was looking at it last week, and it didn't seem like it:

Maybe I just need to find some accredited aviation classes? I don't know how it works. :shobon:

edit: Slippery you're an officer in the AF you must be able to pilot stuff it's gotta be in your blood hook me up man

Hey I can find out for sure, although maybe it's only good for ground school?? Sorry I never thought about flying so I don't know.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Sarah posted:

Can my DD214 be changed if it hasn't been mailed anywhere yet?

Command knew I was getting my DD214 today at 9. At a goodbye lunch the OIC gave me a NAM.

:ughh:

I mean, I don't care about filling out the forms to correct it now, but just wondering if I can still change it without doing all that.

In theory shouldn't the medal be updated automatically? I mean retiring/separating AF dudes often get a medal, that goes in their records even though they are for all practical purposes done. Not that it 'really matters' but one would think it would be updated through the system just like a medal for a retiring guy or what have you...

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

Who cares if it is on the 214. The citation is proof enough.

You say this, but for everyone's info I would say to keep the actual order that gives you the medal (if you get it, I certainly don't have one for each of mine!) If you are AF at least, and you find out your records are wrong before the board (i.e. missing a medal) it can be very hard to get your records updated without the actual special order, most places won't accept 'just' the citation even though it is signed.

Another lesson in 'always keep copies of everything' -- perhaps one of the more useful 'hints for new people' I think you can get :)

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Doesn't HRC track that poo poo anyway?

For us, sure the AFPC folks track it, but I have seen one or two instances where a guy had a medal that was not in his records for whatever reason. We have a thing called PRDA which is actually mostly right in my experience (it has all your medals, EPRs, all sorts of random paperwork, I found poo poo I'd signed when I started at school) but every now and again there is a guy who got a medal that isn't in the record. Rare, but not unheard of. The cases I have seen were able to be corrected but it always helps to have the signed special order if you can get it.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Quick question, are you typically the type of guy who goes right to the source of a problem because you don't seem like it right now.

All silly comments aside I'm really not sure what you mean (seriously.) Like are you talking about a missing medal? I've worked a few, it's not like I just ignore them or whatever. :)

I guess I try to work at different levels, if that's your question, like if some dude is getting screwed on finance stuff I might call a bro over in that unit, if they can't help me I work with the Shirt or Ops-O, and if not that usually Commander-Commander works well, if it's worth their time, etc. But what do you actually mean?

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Sarah posted:

Well one day in the future after hygiene school I decide to go to dental school why not have someone pay for it?

Besides, being in dental is not like being in the real military. Especially being a Dental Officer. In the Navy they don't even go through OCS.

Plus, it's kind of a fantasy to come back in as an O-3 and make a hand full of E-6's that made my life hell poo poo their pants.

We have a dental officer here if she still posts, she goes by Scorch. Navy dentist I think. You should PM her, see what it's like.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Allia posted:

I've lurked for awhile and I have to say, it seems like the majority of you are rather blah about it, a few adore it, and a few hate it so much they'd set fire to if it they somehow could.

Well it's like you said, at the end of the day the military has demographics like any other large institution. Sure there are more X than Y, and so forth, I mean it's a certain amount of selective (not too many hard core anarchists or fascists around etc I guess) but overall -- some people like to say it's this huge hive mind where every X thinks Y, but in reality despite a higher percentage of certain groups it's hardly an organization where everyone is a robotic simpleton (insert joke here of course.)

drat that was a long sentence, I guess I ran out of punctuation today

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Sarah posted:

I worked in a dental clinic my entire enlistment 6 inches from a dentists face everyday. I know exactly what it's like, which is why it is not something I want to do yet. I might change my mind in the future. Never know.

Well okay then :)

I would have picked something that at least let me be at least a foot away from their faces, I mean what if they have bad breath??

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Sarah posted:

Dentists don't have bad breath. Well, all the ones I know. And we wear masks. It's actually the patients breath you have to look out for.

I gotta say I feel bad for y'all whenever one of our dudes that's a heavy smoker goes in for a dental appointment. I always feel weird saying, 'dude you might wanna brush them chompers, you aren't gonna make any friends :("

Humorously, I've known a few maintainers that before the dentist would always like brush their teeth a bunch of times, Listerine, new shave, etc, and I would be like, what are you doing? They would be like "The dental ladies are always attractive I'm totally gonna make a move!!"

Ah, youth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

GreenMeat posted:

Do the "youth" of your acquaintance actually talk like that?

Well they're far more profane but let's just say the sentiment is accurate

• Locked thread