Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So, I'm something like 115 hours in for my first time. The only mods I've been running are the unofficial patches, but there's two things I really want:

1. A working scroll wheel. Once I've used my touchpad to scroll up or down, Oblivion keeps thinking I'm scrolling in that direction forever, making the UI completely unusable with the mouse
2. borderless-window full screen. It crashes horribly if I use true full screen (It's directx's fault, Microsoft's API makes it almost impossible to *not* crash on alt-tab) and windowed mode just isn't as nice.

Does anyone have a workaround for these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Keiya posted:

So, I'm something like 115 hours in for my first time. The only mods I've been running are the unofficial patches, but there's two things I really want:

1. A working scroll wheel. Once I've used my touchpad to scroll up or down, Oblivion keeps thinking I'm scrolling in that direction forever, making the UI completely unusable with the mouse
2. borderless-window full screen. It crashes horribly if I use true full screen (It's directx's fault, Microsoft's API makes it almost impossible to *not* crash on alt-tab) and windowed mode just isn't as nice.

Does anyone have a workaround for these?

I've never had the scroll wheel issue, mine works fine, but as for the second thing there, lookup "One Tweak." It's a script extender plugin that works for Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Skyrim, and does the borderless window thing.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

So steam says this requires a 2ghz processor, however I have a 1.5ghz dual core laptop. I know I can play Half-Life 2, Portal and even Portal 2 although they exceed my system requirements so anyone think this would run alright as well? I really want to try this game out even though it's older, however before dropping money on it I want to make sure it will run ok.

delta534 posted:

It would depend on the exact model of your laptops processor, but if it's a Intel processor made within the last couple years you should be fine.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Jive One fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 14, 2014

delta534
Sep 2, 2011
It would depend on the exact model of your laptops processor, but if it's a Intel processor made within the last couple years you should be fine.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
I wouldn't count on it. Oblivion is a CPU-intensive game, and it runs like poo poo anyway. Seriously, it runs worse than Fallout 3/NV. If you have either of those, the performance you get with them would be informative. If you struggle to run either, don't bother with Oblivion.

Also, if you do get it, make sure you get the Oblivion Stutter Remover. The heap replacement in particular helps a ton. I'd consider that utility a comfort essential even on a powerful modern PC, and for what you're using it may be necessary for the game to be playable at all.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Amazingly it works great! I have all high settings except for HDR lighting and certain shadow settings, but it runs very smooth, even better than Morrowind with the merged mod megapack. Eight years late to the party with my PC upgrades being few and far between, but it should be lots of fun to explore Cyrodiil for the first time.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Another thing about Oblivion is that even at release, some people just lucked out with hardware that it somehow liked, and others got the short stick.

Glad it worked out for you. :shobon:

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
The OP desperately needs updating, a lot of the links don't point to the new nexusmods domain.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

ETPC posted:

The OP desperately needs updating, a lot of the links don't point to the new nexusmods domain.

Agreed. I was able to work around the broken links with google searches, but it took a while.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is there a general consensus on the best shaders to use with OBGE? I'm currently only using it for the water and the SSAO, but I imagine there is more to it than that I should be enjoying.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Is there a general consensus on the best shaders to use with OBGE? I'm currently only using it for the water and the SSAO, but I imagine there is more to it than that I should be enjoying.

A lot of people seem to be using ENB instead these days, and you can't use them together without things breaking. Especially with Liquid Water. I think the usual OBGE loadout is Godrays+SSAO+SMAA/FXAA+DOF+Liquid Water.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
^^ That is what I am using and it works great.

Liquid Water is the best mod ever.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I switched out OBSE completely for the "A Tweaked ENB" mod for Oblivion and holy poo poo I don't think i'm ever going back. The quality of effects far trumps the Liquid Water, though I'll miss it. That ENB alone with the Oblivion Character Overhaul 2.0 is an awesome improvement to Oblivion's visuals. The only texture mod I'm using now is the one for books.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is FCOM still the hot thing? I've been using the Easy FCOM from way earlier in the thread for the past couple years.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
A lot of people still use it. There's a new overhaul around now though with a fully tweakable ini, that can be used with FCOM, or on it's own though. Maskar's.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

How does Maskar's compare with FCOM? Is it generally superior to the others?

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
This question gets asked a lot at the Bethesda forums. The answer is ... maybe? depending on what you're looking for? It's more stable than FCOM that's certain. It has body compatibility built in so you don't need to go hunting for patches. There are more interesting and diverse monsters, with their own unique loot. But no hand placed loot. Some hand placed bosses with specific drops though. The game is harder but not impossible.

What I like best personally is that I can turn features I decide I don't like off. You can stack it with FCOM as I mentioned before, but it seems more common to stack it with OOO because a lot of people miss hand placed loot, and some of the quests OOO does, and there's no incompatibilitues there. You just have to make sure to load Maskar's after the bashed patch because he altered the leveled lists with scripting instead of the usual, so it works with everything without patches. If you want more detailed info, he includes a lengthy readme detailing most features. Or you could check out what other people are saying about it on Bethesda's forums, or in the Nexus comments.

One big thing Maskar's has over FCOM though is that it's actively supported. And Maskar is really good with listening to suggestions and bug reports. I was iffy about trying this overhaul at first, but I ended up liking it a lot more than the one I used previously.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

How is Maskar's performance wise? Vanilla oblivion gets about 30fps with me, but FCOM+COBL and whatever else drops it to 15-20, which is a hard thing to take.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
It depends on your ini settings. Maskar's lets you change how many NPCs are 'active' or can be in combat with you at once. The default for Maskar's is 30 for both, which would be a huge drain. I changed it back to the Oblivion defaults, (same active, but only 6 in combat). Some of the models he includes are fairly high poly, but not too excessive, and you usually don't end up seeing too many of them on screen at the same time.

With my ini settings I'd say my performance is close to the same I get with my standard no-overhaul loadout. I get a bit of lag in open areas with a lot of NPCs, but other than that it runs a smooth 40+ fps at max visual settings for me. If I changed object draw distance I'd probably get better performance, but I hate pop-ins. I don't get noticeable combat lag at all though.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I installed Oblivion from Steam last night, but I'm getting an issue where the cursor does not appear, so I can't even start the game from the menu. I has a similar issue with Morrowind, but it went away when I installed MGSO. Anyone know how to fix this? I did some searching and there were some older posts that mention disabling AA in the video card settings (not the game settings), but that didn't seem to do anything.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Brocktoon posted:

I installed Oblivion from Steam last night, but I'm getting an issue where the cursor does not appear, so I can't even start the game from the menu. I has a similar issue with Morrowind, but it went away when I installed MGSO. Anyone know how to fix this? I did some searching and there were some older posts that mention disabling AA in the video card settings (not the game settings), but that didn't seem to do anything.

Try turning HDR off if it's on, I know last time I played Oblivion having it on gave me some some problems.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I got Oblivion through Steam lately, but I'm having a problem with corrupted saves. I was able to get through the maingame fine, but anytime I go to a plugin/expansion area when I save it crashes and says the save is corrupted. It happened anytime I went near Battlehorn, and I was able to get to the Rebuild the Gatekeeper quest for Shivering Isles before it showed up. Also happens when I use a wayshrine, so I assume it has something to do with KotN.
I don't have any mods enabled, just the official and unofficial patches, and I have Wrye Bash installed.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Run BOSS. Sounds like one of your master files are out of order.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Anyone got recommendations for a UI replacer? I tried DarnifiedUI, but at 1366x768 the text is almost unreably tiny, even at the larger size.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

axolotl farmer posted:

Anyone got recommendations for a UI replacer? I tried DarnifiedUI, but at 1366x768 the text is almost unreably tiny, even at the larger size.

I've never had trouble reading the text when playing at 720p but if it's really a problem then maybe BTmod?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I downloaded Qarl's Texture Pack III from here and activated it via OMM. I've done the stuff that the readme tells me to do in OMM with regards to archive invalidation, and basically, poo poo don't work yo. There are no changes to the textures in-game.

What do I need to do?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, are there enhanced weapon and armor textures available? Nothing that changes the design or anything, just high-res stuff.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 14, 2014

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

I downloaded Qarl's Texture Pack III from here and activated it via OMM. I've done the stuff that the readme tells me to do in OMM with regards to archive invalidation, and basically, poo poo don't work yo. There are no changes to the textures in-game.

What do I need to do?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, are there enhanced weapon and armor textures available? Nothing that changes the design or anything, just high-res stuff.

I dunno, man. It works well for me, I'm using Qarls and Bormuts SI Texture pack, installed over the Really Textured Normal Map mod. There are a few different types of Archive Invalidation in the OMM options, maybe try a different type?

As for equipment, search for MEAT. It's an acronym, but I can't remember what it stands for.

My advice is to install Really Textured Normal Maps first, then any other texture packs, that way any textures that don't get covered at least will look a bit more detailed.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Not being familiar with Really Textured Normal Maps, would you say the textures in that more or less consistent with the vanilla ones? Most of what I'm seeing is from Shivering Isles, which I never spent much time in. :arghfist::(

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

RTNM covers most of the textures in the game. You need to grab RTNM and RTNM-SI.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Agents are GO! posted:

RTNM covers most of the textures in the game. You need to grab RTNM and RTNM-SI.

I think there might be a bit of confusion here. How close it is to the original game's stuff in terms of aesthetics? I don't want to feel like I'm playing a completely different game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

All RTNM does is make the details on the vanilla textures stand out more.

Qarls is a much greater difference than RTNM.

• Locked thread