Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Rookoo posted:

Not sure if the game does this without low poly grass but when traveling along a grassy area I can clearly see the grass pop up a few feet in front of me as I move forward, which doesn't look very nice.

Is there a way to fix this or does it take a massive toll on system resources or something?

If you are using HDR it should fade in, instead of abruptly sort of cutting off. Otherwise it will look ugly as gently caress, no matter what you do.

fake edit: OBGE MIGHT gently caress with this since the grass fade is a shader effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Furret Basket posted:

I think it's DeadlyReflex. If I disable DeadlyReflex then CraftyBits doesn't crash at all. That's terrible, I like both these mods a lot.
KakerMix what version of Craftybits and DeadlyReflex are you using to have them coexisting properly?

Load Deadly Reflexes last. Always. No exceptions. EDIT: there are exceptions. See KakerMix's post below. I get DR and UV mixed up since I don't use either.

Obliv XP and slower skills rates are redundant. Get rid of the skill rate mod(s).

I do not see a Bashed patch. Get wrye bash. I do not believe MMM - Cobl.esp (cobl and Mart's Monster Mod) will work properly otherwise.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 31, 2010

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Furret Basket posted:

Yeah I did.

I'll try turning off Salmo.
I've disabled Cobl and Crafty completely and the crashes have stopped. I'm really confused though because the crashes weren't there before I did a Bashed Patch, and as soon as I did it then it's crashing constantly. The only way I've managed to fix them sofar is by killing Cobl and Crafty.
How does this make any sense? :confused:

[edit]

Disabled Salmo and I think the crashes may have subsided, Deadly Reflex works, Craftybits key works. Uh that's weird. What does Salmo the Baker even do? I thought it just added an NPC. Thanks for all the help, sorry for spamming the thread with my woes.

I'm sure I'll be back. Hell yeah, Oblivion. :downs:
Did some research and it looks like craftybits is included in cobl. Get rid of crafty bits and recheck your cobl install to make sure all the relevant stuff is there.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes4Mod:Cobl/Mods

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

KakerMix posted:

I know a LOT of people like Oblivion XP, and that's great that it exists for those people, but I can not understand for the life of me why people like it so much. The vanilla game is busted as all hell, but I really enjoy the level-up-as-you-use-them skill set. I guess its the logic of it, but then again I like going to new dungeons or locations just to see it for myself, not so I get that much closer to leveling up.

I just like solving problems with what works, not with what I need to skill up. OblivXP lets me use what is relevant without feeling like I am kinda sorta being penalized because I spent and awful lot of skill ups from making trades after a dungeon run.

Simply put, it lets you deliberately skill up/stat up and takes out the busy work associated with purely skill use systems.

Mind, I do not have a problem with things like high cost spells not yielding as much skill as low cost spells (per MP), since the idea is that you do NOT simply spam spells over and over to max a skill before actually playing the game. I just don't like the idea that I should second guess lock picking because I've done a little bit much of it lately and don't want to get too many secondary skill ups and get too many levels that have nothing to do with combat.

EDIT: I would honestly prefer a system that uses both. Basically Obliv XP with very slow skill ups through use. This way you can make sure your combat skills are always up to speed (invest on level up), but you could still be rewarded with a few skill ups for things like Mercantile, or grind one/two additional points to reach a milestone. Given the choice, though, I find myself more engaged in the gameplay with OblivXP than I am with the stats, like any of the skill based leveling systems.

EDIT 2: I have tried KCAS in the past, and it starts good, but inevitably I come to a point where stat/skills become spread too thin and my sneak/weapon skills don't keep up with the level scaling, resulting in sneak attacks that seem like nothing more than chip damage on Ogres. In a skill based system I can't reasonably justify using something else on Ogres, because I clearly need more sneak/weapon skill. In an XP based system I can use a bit of stealth to position, but using one of my illusion scrolls to cause Frenzy and let my enemies do some work for me isn't going to "count against me". It gets me kills, and it gets me XP.

Mind, that is more to do with Obliv combat/scaling mechanics being utterly terrible, but I never ran into any problems of the sort when using OblivXP, because my combat skills were always focused enough to remain fun and functional.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 1, 2010

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

The Grammar Aryan posted:

So, I've got TCOM installed, and I've given KCAS a shot. I'm not really digging it too much, and I want to remove it and put Oblivion XP in. I guess I've just been spoiled by Fallout 3.

What should I do to seamlessly take this out and then drop OBXP in?
If it isn't too painful, just uninstall KCAS, install OblivXP and start a new character. Otherwise check the KCAS readme. I think there is an uninstall "mod" that comes with it. The idea being you disable KCAS but enable the "uninstall" mod. Load your character, save, quit. Then disable the uninstall mod. Here I would do another load game, save, quit. Now finally install/enable OblivXP.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

joats posted:

Ok, so you have to install Oblivion XP after Darn UI or else you get some crash issues.

Yes, Oblivion XP makes a few changes to the UI (stats and level up menus). If you make any UI changes you will want to reinstall Oblivion XP.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
delete your oblivion.ini file in your my documents folder.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

As Nero Danced posted:

I don't get it with that person. They put a whole lot of effort into their mods, but almost all of them end up really perverted and creepy. It's like he's saying "If I can't see a dick, it isn't finished." You'd expect the creepy poo poo to be balanced out by the rational stuff, but it just isn't.

This is the Internet. If the creepy poo poo didn't out balance the rational stuff I would think something is wrong.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Human Leaf Blower posted:

I'm getting a CTD as soon as I launch Oblivion. Followed the tutorial for TCOM to the letter as far as I know and this is my load order:

Vanilla Oblivion was loading up fine before I attempted to mod.
Crash on load is likely caused by a botched INI. Navigate to My Documents and delete your Oblivion.ini file.

Otherwise, it may be OBSE. If you do not have it installed, or you are not booting the game with it (I launch from OBMM which takes the guess work out, so I can't actually tell you how to make sure OBSE is running when launching Obliv beyond telling you that much).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Welp, my character is apparently worthless at combat.
I'm in a cave, fighting a Spriggan. It takes me ~15 arrows to kill her. I don't get the chance to shoot that many, since she summons a bear and an ogre comes along too. I die in under 20 seconds.
Using a stealth character (the 3x bonus is not enough to kill her).

Only mod I'm using that affects levels/XP is Realistic Leveling.
Any advice?
As mentioned, just drag the difficulty slider down. I loving hate the way oblivion handles NPC health. Supposedly it is similar to the player, but that never seems to be the case in practice. When a some 8x backstab only manages to chip an NPCs health bar the game can go gently caress itself.

Alternatively, get Attack and Hide, and learn an invisibility spell.

• Locked thread