Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Periodiko posted:

Are you listing features of real mods?

Possibly, though there's a suspicious lack of nudity in that list which may make me think otherwise.

Yes all of those are real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

m2pt5 posted:

I've only seen a few of those, but I would assume the rest are real.

I thought the robot turned into a go-kart sort of vehicle, though.

Isn't that the same mod that includes the spell Summon Cheese Atronach?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Has anyone played that 28 Days Later (or whatever it's called) zombie mod? There's no way it could really be as fun as it is in my head, right?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Furret Basket posted:

Are you refering to this one: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=19086 ?

That's the one.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Are there any mod packs or compatible lists for people who don't want to download 8+ gigabytes? I did my bi-annual mod collection thing with mods from the OP and, surprise, the game crashes on startup. Leaving me without the desire to gently caress around and fix it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I think it was the Unique Landscapes mods, I've never once been able to get them to work.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Is there any way to increase the length of time that unvoiced captions appear on the screen? The dialogue for Choices and Consequences disappears faster than I can read it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Man gently caress this. Game crashes whenever it tries to load an exterior cell, and I have no idea what could be causing it, since interior cells work fine. I don't have the time or bandwidth to download TCOM2. I remember now why I never get further than the sewers whenever I try to reinstall.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

ShoodZ posted:

I had this problem and the only thing I've managed to fix it with, was to start a new game. Disable autosave, then ONLY use manual saves. It hasnt crashed an exterior cell for me yet. The quicksaves tend to gently caress up saving

Well this particular instance was Streamline causing it so I disabled that, but now I have an entirely different crash when I enter a certain exterior cell, which puts me at square one again. :suicide:

EDIT: poo poo, did not notice that bit about quicksaves though. Do quicksaves mess that sort of thing up?

DOUBLE EDIT: Aaaaand turning off HDR fixed it. What the gently caress, Oblivion.

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 9, 2011

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
After FINALLY getting my mods to run stably - it turns out I'd forgotten to download the resources for Francisco's Optional Items and Monsters, and the .esps for those parts were calling for meshes and textures that didn't exist :v: - I now can't decide on a class to play! I always end up doing a thief build but I feel like something different. Is an unarmoured mage-type character a viable choice when using Francisco's, Supreme Magicka and Realistic Levelling? I feel like the lack of an armour and weapon skill would be my downfall.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

khy posted:

I have a question regarding magic.

In every single one of my previous playthroughs, I've always been a melee-heavy fighter; maybe a little support magic for soul trapping, or for regenerating health after combat, but the majority of the time I'm swinging away with whatever longsword I have at the time.

This time through I wanted to try playing as a mage; but casting a spell that heals for any appreciable amount takes up 2/3rds of my mana bar, and my damage spells are even less effective. I run out of mana approximately 1/3rd of the way through a fight with 1 enemy. I'm only level 9 but Flame Atronachs, which were always pretty easy for me before, are unbeleivably hard now and require stupid amounts of kiting around. What am I doing wrong?

You want a magic mod. I'm playing a pure unarmoured mage with Supreme Magicka and it's remarkable how effective it is, even at level 3. Cast shield, summon skeleton, shoot lightning. A Breton mage (using the Race Rebalance Project) is a viable character. Less Annoying Magicka Experience (LAME) is slightly different but also good.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Which UI mod is closest to the original game? DarNified?

Probably BTMod. It expands the map window and shrinks the item and spell listings to a small line of text, and that's about it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Seventh Arrow posted:

I just picked up Oblivion a few weeks ago...it was on Steam for like fivebux or something. My original disk was in bad shape, so this was a good opportunity. It was fun to play through it again. When you read through the Skyrim thread, it's pretty clear that a lot of people didn't like it - at least compared to Morrowind - but I think it's pretty fun. I'm not even playing with a lot of mods, just a map replacement thing.

It's funny to play the Steam edition, when you get out of the sewer you get a bunch of quest screens in quick succession - one for Shivering Isles, one for Knights of the Nine, etc. I started off with a Redguard Knight, and without knowing what I was really doing, I started the Knights of the Nine quests. It was pretty cool, but having all that armor and the sword of the crusader by level 2 or 3 makes you kind of OP. I kind of borked that character though because I dumped a bunch of points in Personality/Speechcraft which I'm led to believe is kind of a waste. I thought it would be like KotOR, where that sort of thing was more relevant.

I'm currently playing a Bosmer thief, and I really like it. I didn't think the stealth mechanics in the game would be that great, but it's actually pretty fun to creep through dungeons and sneak attack stuff for 3x damage. I wish it would be a bit more thief-like though, with stuff like the ability to extinguish lights sources, and the ability to incapacitate guards instead of either killing or avoiding them. I got 15% chameleon chest from a quest target though, so that helps. So far, I've done the thives guild quests and dunbarrow cove; I'll probably do dark brotherhood next - is there anything else in the game with a thief-y feel to it?

I think I'll probably try a pure spellcaster next...any tips? How can a mage type defend themselves? It's nice to be able to summon creatures and shoot fireballs out of your hands, but is there a way to keep some dude from smashing your face in with a mace? Also, do you just head straight for the nearest mages guild after exiting the sewer? I was thinking of a high elf, but their weakness to elemental damage makes me think that maybe it's a bad idea. Dark elf, maybe?

I'm playing a pure spellcaster at the moment, but I wouldn't recommend it without some manner of magic overhaul mod and maybe the Race Rebalance Project. I use Supreme Magicka but Less Annoying Magicka Experience is also good.

I say "pure" but I generally have a shortsword on hand for emergencies. Generally combat goes something like "summon dremora, cast shield, shoot lightning everywhere". The nice thing about taking all the magic schools is that you have so many options available to you.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Don't forget about BOSS, Better Oblivion Sorting Software, which is possibly the greatest development in modding since OBSE, certainly the handiest. No more faffing around with load orders and readmes - one click and almost every mod will be placed in the correct order, and flagged with the recommended tags for building a Bashed Patch, so you can basically tick every box when making the patch (except ones that don't make any sense - GuardNames for OOO if you don't use OOO, for example) and be done with it.

You still have to deal with that perennial annoyance of Elder Scrolls and Fallout modding, though, which is non-standard file arrangements in downloaded archives. Always a joy when the modder puts all their files in a folder for the mod so you have to extract the folder and then move its contents to the correct place, instead of just extracting to Data and being done with it.

Oh, and don't forget the unofficial patches from the OP. Those have installers, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
It occurs to me that throughout my Elder Scrolls experiences I've never really played a fighter-type character. I just find thieves and spellswords more interesting. Since I still have Oblivion installed I'd be interested in any mods that add some cool stuff for knighty types, questlines or stuff like that. Deadly Reflex is a given, of course, and is already installed.

• Locked thread