Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
If I've never played Oblivion before (I have played Morrowind and Fallout 3) should I go whole-hog with TCOM or try something more conservative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

KakerMix posted:

And now you should mod in loving EVERYTHING, run around with dual swords, plane-shifting into different dimensions, hunt deer and make your own clothes, chop down trees and make your own weapons and furniture, cook your own meals with a variety of different recipes, buy a ship and sail around Elsweyr, head-hunt elves from Vallenwood for their skulls, conquer the vast underground Alyied complex underneath the mountains, camp out in the desert to wake up in a dust storm, summon yourself a dwarven robot that is also a motorcycle and then retire, in the sky, on your very own dwarven airship.

Are you listing features of real mods?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Let me preface this by saying I have never played Oblivion before. I have played Morrowind and FO3.

I installed Oblivion and TCOM. First: holy jesus what an install. It literally took me 2 hours to install TCOM, probably more. I think I did everything right, the game runs, but who knows.

I started the game outside the tutorial dungeon with no weapons. That kind of sucked, especially when I'm told to wait 24 hours to let scripts run and there are bad guys nearby so I can't rest.

Help: I delivered the letter and the monk gave me enough stuff that I feel comfortable but now I'm at an impasse: I need a torch. Where the hell do I get a torch? It seems like the mods are using their own weird torch interface, but when I activate that it tells me I don't have a torch. How do I get a torch in TCOM?

I'm not even touching my inventory full of weird mod-config items. What have I gotten myself into.

On the plus side, having played about 45 minutes of vanilla Oblivion TCOM looks ten billion times better. I was amazed at what an ugly game Oblivion was. Frog people and awful repeating-texture landscapes everywhere.

I think its hilarious that with a quickstart mod, Picard is modded completely out of the game. Nice bang for your buck, Bethesda.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I started inside but I didn't see the chest. Cuz it was dark and there was a big exit to go through. :-\

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
More of my TCOM odyssey: Part of the Imperial City bridge glows yellow sometimes and I just found a disembodied door to "Knight's Desire" the blacksmith in whatever the first non-imperial city town is. When I went in Knight's Desire, the game crashed. :-\

Also, the texture pack is murdering my performance from all the loading.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Since this is my first run-through I uninstalled TCOM and just assembled my own mod stuff. Gone pretty good, although I haven't had any time to actually play it since I've been trying to get all the mods installed and playing nice. ;)

Natural Weather (w/ Ryu Doppler fix) is goddamn awesome and a must-have if you care about cool, natural looking outdoors areas. I think it (and the accompanying flora/ambient wildlife stuff) is the single coolest visual upgrade I've installed, moreso than high-res textures or anything else. The awesome shifts in cloud cover, lighting, and wind just make the whole world feel way more alive. It also has an optional mod to increase all foliage by 200%, which sounds hacky and weird, but actually ends up looking fantastic since the game-world stops being so desolate looking and the trees and bushes are actually real-life sized.

Oblivion XP is just the coolest thing game modification ever, its a small thing, but its my favorite mod. I think in a big open world game like an Elder Scrolls Game, you kind of need little goals to have any sort of direction, and getting experience points for stuff like completing quests, finding areas, and killing monsters is so vastly superior to "spam skills to level them" grinding.

I'm running Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul as my core overhaul version, which I think works really well with XP. OOO's problem is that it can be hard to find low level monsters at first, but XP lets you focus on exploration and quest completion to level up, and disproportionately awards you experience if you manage to kill those high level monsters. In addition, there's the unintended side-effect of XP telling you the level of everything you kill, letting you get a feel for the average level of a given dungeon/area.

I tried to run the companion mod (the one that comes with TCOM), but it had a really lame half-baked feel, with characters just sitting around aimlessly to join you.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I hated the palette swaps in MMM, as soon as I saw a Fallen One I was like "seriously?" for a bunch of different reasons (MY IMMERSION!) How many monsters in MMM are even "new" in any meaningful sense (this is a half-serious half-rhetorical question, I didn't play very far with MMM).

KakerMix posted:

I know a LOT of people like Oblivion XP, and that's great that it exists for those people, but I can not understand for the life of me why people like it so much. The vanilla game is busted as all hell, but I really enjoy the level-up-as-you-use-them skill set. I guess its the logic of it, but then again I like going to new dungeons or locations just to see it for myself, not so I get that much closer to leveling up.

A lot of people have given good reasons; I think practice-based XP systems are unrealistic and not very fun, and also they confound one of the things people play RPG's for, character customization. If I want to build a character that's good at a certain kind of magic in Morrowind, that means I have to spend a certain prerequisite time when I'm crappy at that magic "practicing" it. Sometimes skills are so low that they can't actually be used practically, the only way to level them is to grind. At least with a level up system it's just a matter of putting points where I want them. I don't have to worry about hitting dingbats with a rock to raise my blunt weapons skill, or whatever.

Also, I really like it when you get XP rewards at the end of a quest or when you accomplish a broad objective, because it's a very general reward for accomplishing something the way you want to. If I do a quest in Morrowind to get through a cave, and I want to level my fighting skills, it might make sense to irrationally fight every monster I see. Whereas with an XP system, I know all I need to do is accomplish the goal however I want, and my character will keep advancing however I want him to.

Also I just like hearing a ding sound and watching my experience bar go up. Pavlov's dogs I guess.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 2, 2010

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Gonkish posted:

Oh gently caress me, that's what it was. I could never wrap my head around Wrye Bash.

Thanks. :)

If it feels better I made the exact same mistake before figuring out that it wasn't listing by load order.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I really hate how Bethesda did the exact same thing they did with Morrowind where instead of making their expansions/DLC work in an organic way with the core game, they just have you bombarded with notes at the beginning of the game that let you do it at level 1. Some of the good mods do this as well (archaeology guild one, I think its lost spires?)

I understand that in Oblivion vanilla you can do everything at level 1 anyway, but it feels really stupid playing for the first time to have you inventory filled with notes and your quest log filled with quests before you've even seen civilization.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

joats posted:

Here are a bunch of Delayers for various quests that you may have installed.

These are awesome thanks. I kind of posted that hoping there were mods for that... knowing the Oblivion community, there's a mod for everything.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I wanted to give a heads up about a really cool modder who seems slightly under-represented in most mods list (one of his coolest things isn't even listed in BOSS).

David Brasher apparently shares my love of random, explorable, story-light (meaning not part of a huge quest), big, inventive dungeons for you to explore. He's the guy that did "Adense Epic Dungeon" from the OP, but he's also done a ton of other stuff, and a lot of it is really cool - very modular and unpretentious.

Best of all he's an active modder and is responsive to comments. I left a comment asking whether Daedric Shrine Ruins was compatible with Unique Landscapes, and within days he posted a compatibility patch.

Daedric Shrine Ruins adds six Morrowind style Daedric Shrine Ruins throughout the landscape, complete with retextured exteriors and interiors. http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=31636

Shivering Isles Root System adds a massive cavernous dungeon to Shivering Isles the size of Shivering Isles itself. So you can literally travel from one end to the other through the massive underground complex. http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=30279

Just browse his stuff if you're looking for mods that add explorable content: http://www.tesnexus.com/modules/members/index.php?id=1139939

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Dicks and tits for every monster in the game.

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=27250

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
If you're playing a mod with static scaling (OOO for example), you need to go out of your way to find a starting area to gain a level or two, you can't just wander around and expect to fight the first things you see. This includes bandits, who may be stronger than you. Also never leave the roads at level 1 unless you know where you're going.

IMO if you're playing a fighty type a great start is to deliver the amulet to Jauffre the monk to get a horse and some decent equipment, register for the fighter's guild in Chorrol and then head to Cheydinhal to the east for the first fighter quest, maybe popping your head into dungeons along the way. I haven't played very far yet, though.

The main quest of Oblivion is so horribly set up compared to Morrowind, they really screwed the pooch. The tutorial doesn't even make you seem indebted to the emperor, you're just a random schmuck who is given an amulet. At least in Morrowind you're essentially an indebted intelligence asset working for a cool organization that is helpful, as well as that other spoilery thing.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
If I do OOO then MMM over it with omods and OBMM (everything worked fine), can I deactivate or uncheck the MMM stuff to get rid of it, or would the only reliable way be reinstalling?

Also, anyone ever have Natural Weather just give nothing but fog for some weird reason? I can't figure out if I had a weird run of luck or if the mod isn't working.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I'm playing OOO+MMM with Deadly Reflex, why do the monsters I'm fighting keep spontaneously tripping and falling on the ground for no reason. It's awful and I hate it.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Furret Basket posted:

I hate it even more when my character starts doing it.

What mod is doing it though? Deadly Reflex?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, it was just natural weather deciding over a week straight of foggy weather would be loving awesome.

If you deactivate Natural Weather for a session and then reactivate it the next time, that successfully defogs the game fyi. It's what worked for me.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Delicious Yams posted:

Deadly Reflexes makes combat even clunkier, in my opinion. But apparently a lot of people like it.

I don't like Deadly Reflex either. The extra moves are at least as clunky as default oblivion, and IMO they don't even make combat deeper, just flashier. Some of the additions seem to actually make combat worse. Like ambush, it's literally just a super sneak attack for people with high athletics, why do I want this in my game instead of like, a better sneak attack? When I ran DR, enemies would just spontaneously trip and collapse on the floor making them easy kills, for literally no reason at all. Monsters in general acted really weird.

The +x% damage, shield drain mod that is bundled with Deadly Reflex is really cool though.

I wrote some stuff about how starting with TCOM is a bad idea but other people covered it. Just grab either Fran's or OOO's, some texture stuff, anything in the OP that looks really cool to you, and play. Unofficial patches and bug-fix type stuff, too.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 14, 2010

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Yeah Funyuns posted:

Because they blew their writing budget on Patrick Stewart.

I don't know, but Bethesda isn't known for great writing. They probably saw it as low priority, which it is in the grand scheme of a big, open world where you should spend all your time adventuring than hanging out in town. I'd like to see a TES game written (and only written; keep their modelers and animators far, far away) by Obsidian.

The setting related stuff in Morrowind was well-written, I thought. They did a great job with the sounds of words and made-up language, it all had a particular ring to it and was pretty evocative, and the history of the island and the mythic beings that inhabited it was really good. It also handled ideas related to occupation and culture in a sophisticated way compared to 90% of fantasy settings.

From a game design standpoint as well, I thought the core scenario of Morrowind was really well written for the type of game they were making. You can go do your own thing or run off on your own and it all sort of clicks. Plus the threat of Red Mountain seemed, to me, far more credible than Dagon and the Oblivion gates (note: i haven't beaten the game yet), in part because Red Mountain is actually pretty scary in Morrowind. The sixth house, getting infected by corprus and the leper colony you visit, the weird body horror aesthetic, and the sheer presence of the volcano are all really well done.

The thing is all that reflected a lot of research and thought and care and inspiration. Just committing to a setting where there are no horses or knights, and everyone is an insect riding dark elf (and not the pretty kind) was pretty bold in itself.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

resistentialism posted:

I can understand why they might skimp on hiring a ton of voice actors to play their npcs, but why did they get the few actors they had to all read the exact same lines for their flavour npc babble?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't even a budgetary issue, if you look at the way they designed the dialog in the game, they want to have everybody able to say the same sorts of generic lines in conversation, rumors, and reaction dialog ("oh you look like you've been lifting weights cyradil!"). The way it works, they can basically just create a generic pool of rumors and incidental dialog and have every NPC in the game spout fairly specific bullshit without having to worry about who is talking to who since there are only 4 people in the entire world.

It doesn't just save on hiring voice actors, it saves on the work of keeping track of coding and managing all the NPC's.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Shouldn't streamline be after the bashed patch? At the very least, that will insure Streamline works.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Chaos Theory posted:

Does OOO do palette swaps like MMM?

A little, most notably the golems. Not anywhere near to the same degree, though.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Is Enhanced Daedric Invasion a good mod? Does it have any stupid poo poo in it, or can I run it (with OOO) and just enjoy more aggressive Oblivion gate associated stuff? How seamlessly is it integrated in the main game?

Also this is probably a lost cause, but is there a mod that I can run with OOO that will improve the shivering isles? I'm kind of bummed that OOO doesn't actually effect the expansion at all, apparently.

Is there a good way to run OOO and Fran's without MMM?

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 18, 2010

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Support for Bain wizards sounds like it should be a different feature than it is.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Petah posted:

*EDIT: All right I just fixed this one. I turned tcl (noclip) on and I looked around and I found the cave entrance embedded within the fortress walls. Did anybody else with tcom get this problem?

Probably two mods messing with the same cells, like Unique Landscapes or a Better Cities mod or something.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I've been playing modded Oblivion for a few weeks off and on, my character is like level 12 or something, and I just encountered a near showstopper bug that is baffling me.

Basically if any element of a menu is visible, the sound stutters. This means dialog, inventory/map/stuff, and the options menu. I can walk up to a guard, and he'll say "Hail citizen", but if I then use the interact key on him to talk to him, the sound begins stuttering and, this stuttering immediately ceases once I'm out of dialog.

The sound stuttering is horrible, it's like the sound is broken into 100ms long fragments each followed by a 100ms pause. It's also not like the sound is cutting out, it's actually playing but in fragments, so lines of dialog for example take several times longer to play.

Does anyone know what is going on, I haven't installed anything new nor messed with any options that I can think of. It's also a reasonably conservative mod loadout, just OOO with a bunch of non-overlapping cosmetic stuff and some content mods.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
No.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I really disliked virtually all the screen effects I tried when I was giving them a go. It was a mix of stuff that looked genuinely terrible (distance blur, ugh), things that looked cool but that didn't fit Oblivion at all (cell shading), and stuff that was cool situationally or in still images but were terrible for actually playing the game (most settings).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
TCOM is like the exact opposite of no effort. It's no effort compared to figuring out an install order for those things on your own, I guess.

• Locked thread