Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Rascyc posted:

Is there a moddable digital version of this game for sale anywhere?

The Steam version is moddable, and OBSE even works with it. The Direct2Drive version is not compatible with OBSE, but non-OBSE mods will still work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I've only seen a few of those, but I would assume the rest are real.

I thought the robot turned into a go-kart sort of vehicle, though.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

Isn't that the same mod that includes the spell Summon Cheese Atronach?

Sure is. Midas Magic Spells of Aurum contains quite a few silly/stupid spells, but it also contains many fantastically useful and/or indispensable spells.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

LP97S posted:

Oblivion Deluxe is only $8.50 on steam. I have the discs lying around but I like a good deal like this. Is there any thing I should know about the steam version?

Nothing in particular. The latest (DLL-based) version of OBSE works fine with the Steam version, and there are no mod conflicts that aren't in any other version.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Right-click the column headers and sort by load order, then do the CTRL+arrow moving.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Parachute Underwear posted:

I want to say that if you just have the Shivering Isles expansion, you have the regular GOTY version.

The regular GOTY version on Steam only has Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine, and the deluxe version has that plus all the other official DLC (Horse Armor, Wizard's Tower, Vile Lair, Spell Tomes, Fighter's Stronghold, Orrery, and Thieves' Den.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Go download Midas from TESNexus. It's newer than the one in TCOM:O, and TCOM is missing the BSA file.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

The one in the torrent.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

The Mighty Midas Reborn OMOD in the torrent doesn't have the BSA that Midas Magic requires. You have to manually download Midas from Nexus and fix it yourself.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

BreadLust posted:

Wow... So I tried TCOM, but couldn't get Wry Bash to start up, so I deleted Oblivion and all game files. I re-downloaded from Steam and... I can't even start a vanilla, un-modded game. How screwed am I?

My Documents/My Games/Oblivion - delete it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

J Bloo posted:

Can someone answer a question about spell making? UESP is running like poo poo for me otherwise I would check there. I want to make the standard fortify mercantile for 1s spell for speedy and high profit sale, but can't for the life of me find a way to get "fortify mercantile" as a known effect to make the custom spell. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing/doing wrong?

I got through to UESP, and it seems learning any Fortify Skill spell will give you access to all 21 skills as fortify spell effects.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Slopehead posted:

The first time player doesn't need drastic changes from the core gameplay. They need enhanced grass for smoother close up gameplay, they need long distance texture optimizers, and perhaps if feeling randy, an armory mod.

For someone who has never played Oblivion before, I would suggest just the Unofficial Patch (or patches, as relevant to the DLC being used), probably low poly/short grass, and maybe a visible when distant / LOD mod, if the system can handle it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

SheepNameKiller posted:

Does anyone remember the name of the mod that adds a silent clip behind non-voice-acted dialog so that it doesn't disappear off the screen so quickly?

OBSE -Elys- Universal Silent Voice. As the name implies, you'll need to be running OBSE.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

steadyshot posted:

Just got the game as well, set up mods, etc. Started with the Knights of the Nine questline, and apparently one has to be "good," to complete it. Does this remain throughout the rest of the game?:wtc: I want to be evil!

Your infamy must be 0 to do KotN. The intro quest of it (Pilgrimage) clears your infamy. Also, you cannot wear the rewards if you have any infamy.

However, since Pilgrimage clears your infamy, and the effect (but not the quest itself) is repeatable, you can do the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood before it and still be able to do it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

Bethesdas great achievement was making 'Kleptomania Simulator" into an honest to god genre

To paraphrase Yahtzee - Virtually all RPGs up until now have allowed the great hero to loot to his heart's content; I'll be hosed if I'm going to unlearn that for one loving game.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Doug Lombardi posted:

Does anyone use a mod that gets rid of leveled quest rewards? It's really a pain to have to wait to do certain quests so I can get good items.

There are various mods that can upgrade your leveled rewards to your current level. Try searching "leveler" on TES Nexus.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Krinkle posted:

hahaha OOO conflicts with an already active mod, I have no other mods besides the unofficial patches. What the hell?

Well yeah, the entire point of OOO is to modify large parts of the game and DLC, so it's going to conflict. Ignore it and install anyway.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Bouchacha posted:

If I load or create and OMOD through OBMM, but don't activate anything yet, where is the mod data stored? If I activate it then deactivate it, what happens then?

OMODs are stored in Oblivion/OBMM/mods/. OMODs are only a storage medium - they're actually renamed 7z files. Uninstalling a mod only removes its files from Oblivion/data/; the OMOD is unaltered unless you delete it, either manually or from within OBMM.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Brace posted:

What happens when you don't have Shivering Isles or any of the DLC, and want to install this TCOM?

You can't. Many of the mods require one DLC or another, and simply won't work (and will often crash the game on startup) without.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Red Bart posted:

- Set the steam.exe, oblivion.exe, and obmm.exe to run as administrator (of course at your own risk). They may not all be necessary, but after doing this, OBSE suddenly started to work, and after setting one of them back to run normal it quit on me.

Running poo poo as administrator should never be a "fix". Just change the permissions on the Steam and/or Oblivion folder so non-admins have full control.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Parachute Underwear posted:

The reason you need to run them as administrator is because they need to add the proper registry keys before they can actually work.

Shouldn't they be doing that when you installed them? There's a reason installers request admin rights even if they shouldn't really need them.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

They probably just got a bad ad from a third-party ad distributor. It happens occasionally.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Enkmar posted:

can we just have a tcom moratorium ? I do appreciate the efforts of Tr0ll or whoever did it but the fact that so many people end up with an unworking game cannot be denied.

Anyone who ends up with a nonworking game is either not following the instructions correctly or not starting with a clean install of Oblivion.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Enkmar posted:

its really not worth the time of a new user to come in and try to get it working.

Of course it's not worth the time of a new user, TCOM is for people who have experience modding Oblivion extensively, not for people who have never played it before.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Furret Basket posted:

This thread will probably be very happy to hear that it's using a brand new engine. Finally.

Awesome. Gamebryo is looking dated as it is in FO:NV; I hate to wonder how a new game using it would look a year from now.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

mobn posted:

Ok, it looks like the problem is that I had the DLC patches activated because I thought the GOTY edition came with the DLC, but it seems like it doesn't.

Yeah, GOTY only comes with Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine. GOTY Deluxe has the rest of the DLC.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Eh! Frank posted:

How important are those unofficial patch mods? I downloaded all of the ones linked in the OP and tried using them with my game, but one or more of them is causing the game to crash to desktop when loading. I'll need to go through and figure which ones are causing it, but are there any issues I should know?

If you're using the unofficial patches for the official DLC, and it's crashing on startup, chances are you have a patch for a DLC you don't have. It's called a "missing master" error, and it means one of your mods has a dependency that isn't present.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

AXE COP posted:

turning corpses into gold
The only problem with this is that yes, it turns the corpse into gold, but after a few seconds it collapses into a pile of individual gold coins.

Fortunately there is also a spell that summons a fairy that will collect loose gold coins for you.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

victrix posted:

Is there a quick short list of good ui mods? That's all I want to get for him before he starts.

1. Darnified UI

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

^^Edit: :argh: but I linked it

DoctorJon posted:

Perhaps someone can help me figure out why the hill behind lord Drad's estate changes sizes as I approach. You can see the floating rocks on the hill in the first pic, and the rocks firmly embedded in the hill as they should be in the second pic. The height of the ground is the only thing that changes as I approach. I'm using QTP3, and some landscape texture replacers, but nothing the changes the mesh on the land.

You could try TES4LODGen to see if that fixes it. It really looks like a bad LOD issue.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

radiatinglines posted:

I try to customize my darnifiedUI to get rid of the compass and weapon and magic bars, and make the status bars do that cool fadey thing, but every time I start oblivion back up it resets to default. Does anyone know how to make it stick?

"Customizing" DarnUI in-game doesn't actually make the changes stick, you have to manually edit the menu files with the numbers you determine from the in-game customizing.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

ETPC posted:

I can't get past the opening load for the main menu.

After the opening videos, it crashes to desktop, right? That's a missing master error; Wrye Bash should be able to tell you which of your mods is missing a master file.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Gyshall posted:

I've disabled Fast Travel.

I've been meaning to ask, since I've seen a lot of people hate it - is it really necessary to use a mod to disable fast travel? Is the temptation too strong to just not use it if you don't like it?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Police Automaton posted:

I guess Skyrim will probably have NPCs that are frozen in place 24h a Day,

what

Great, another step in making all RPGs play the same as MMORPGs. The "kill X of monster Y" quests are bad enough.

Edit: Oh wait, that was sarcastic conjecture. I reed gud.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Internet Friend posted:

That image host isn't allowed on SA (due to ancient drama)

Yep. Use waffleimages or imgur instead.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Overemotional Robot posted:

Does anybody know an easy way to place items in the in-game house? I got book placement, but I'm looking for something similar to use on all the other items.

I haven't touched Oblivion for a while, but when I did play it, I used Decorator Assistant for placing objects. Also, DA Unlock is helpful, as items may get "stuck" in their placed positions, even after you pick them up and drop them again.

Also, Reznod Mannequins are good for displaying clothing / armor / weapons / etc.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

TroubledWaters posted:

Running the game from the regular .exe ends in a CTD on startup.

I believe OBSE Steam needs to be run from the launcher, not the game EXE, though I could be wrong.

Also, CTD on launch (maybe after the first startup video, if you haven't disabled them) isn't necessarily an OBSE problem but a missing master problem.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Black Eagle posted:

Delete Oblivion with Steam and then delete the folder in the Steam directory. Also, delete the folder which contains Oblivion.ini in Documents.

To add on to this - if you have the disk space or a DVD you can burn it to, after you download a clean copy of Oblivion, use Steam to make a backup of it. That way you won't have to redownload it next time you want to reset and start over clean again.

Edit: My backup (GOTY Deluxe, with all the DLC) is 5.25 GB, so you'd need a dual-layer DVD to burn it onto.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Helical Nightmares posted:

Do I need to install the official patch for shivering isles with the steam version?

No, it's updated to the latest official patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Pookdaddy G posted:

Im sure this has been asked before, but are any of the official plug-ins worth the price? I bought the shivering isles awhile ago, but im still curious about NotN and any of the guilds' add ons.

Horse Armor: No.
The Orrery: Not really.
Mehrunes' Razor: It's a big dungeon with the titular weapon as a final reward. Not bad.
Wizard's Tower: Probably the most useful of the "home base" ones; it has portals that lead to every town's Mage's Guild, plus a bunch of other useful wizarding things, as well as the only spellmaking/enchanting altars available outside the guild.
Vile Lair: Primarily intended for evil/vampiric characters, but mostly just another home base.
Thieves Den: Potentially has a bunch of useful NPCs and a perpetually re-locking chest for lockpick practice. Fundamentally a home base.
Spell Tomes: Neat and useful, but not at all necessary. (Also using the Spell Tome script is a useful way to grant mod spells, rather than needing to buy them from a merchant or use the console.)
Fighter's Stronghold: Another home base, with a small quest attached.
Knights of the Nine: Outside of Shivering Isles, it adds the most content, and has a large series of quests attached that spread across the world. The only drawback is you can't use the ultimate rewards if you have more than 1 infamy.

• Locked thread