Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«243 »
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

drat, top 3 and I’ve been out of it for a year. Also, I did watch Audition on my own from my previous list but forgot to note it; though it never was assigned to me. Not sure if that counts.

I counted only those that were mentioned in some way. The prime example being Mistletoe Donkey. In one post he said he watched over 200 films in the thread but I only see him reference 154. So he probably removed a lot from his list without saying anything so I can't verify the amount. It does help a LOT that many posters have kept large checklists at the end of their posts.

I'll mark you down as 246 now.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

A decade of shame! This thread has done so much for me in terms of not only watching movies I probably wouldn't have gotten around to, but in approaching, digesting, and critiquing art in general. It's so bizarre looking at the first half of my list because that part of my life feels so alien now, and some of those I barely remember at all.

Yeah, this thread has given me a lot of focus. So many films I've been on the fence on seeing. And, of course, I've pulled dozens and dozens from other lists here.

The more films I see the more I appreciate how hard it must be to make the greatest films. And also even if I don't like a film too much I recognize the work that was put into making it.

TrixRabbi posted:

My early reviews and takes are, as the kids say, cringe.

Some of my early posts were very, very short.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

I had never seen The Godfather when I started in this thread. Now I add obscure Ukrainian propaganda films with like 2 views on Letterboxd to my list. That's what I call growth.

For fun, here is my original starting list from 2010:

My original ten:

quote:

12 Angry Men - I read a story on this in school at some point so seeing the movie has never been a priority for me.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I've seen so many Jack Nicholson movies that this has also been put on the backburner.

Seven Samurai - I saw the magnificent seven a while back and avoid repetition (even though this is the original, seminal work.)

Once Upon a Time in the West - I know absolutely nothing about this film.

Sunset Blvd. - The plot from what I gathered didn't seem to interest me. Is this similar to What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

North by Northwest - Once I've seen about five movies by a director I tend to put the rest of them at the bottom of my watch list.

Vertigo - I've seen a big chunk of this on TV but not from beginning to end.

Lawrence of Arabia - I watched a good portion of this movie when I was younger.
I've seen Doctor Zhivago and The Bridge on the River Kwai multiple times so I'd probably like this too.

Amélie - I've seen this one discussed frequently and also on many top lists but kind of forgot about seeing it.

WALL-E - I rarely watch any CGI movies these days. And I avoid anything that appears to be geared towards kids.

And to think...I hesitated in watching Sunset Blvd. and Vertigo.

PS still waiting for Jay Dub to watch Blue Velvet ten years later.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Hey I made the list

So many quality flicks in the list below my posts now, thanks to everyone who gave me a nudge to watch them even if my reviews tend to be brief.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Actually watched this a couple weeks ago, but for various reasons didn't write anything about it at the time, which is a mistake as it's no longer fresh in my mind.
It's more fun and funny than I expected and Newman and Redford are charming, likeable leads. I liked the Burt Bacharach score a lot, perhaps because of how anachronistic and un-western it often felt. I didn't know 'Rainbows keep falling on my Head' was written for this.
If you want some action and peril but also an lighthearted, amiable romp this is a good choice.

My List:

1) (highest ranked imdb) 1917

2) (comedy) Any Luarel and Hardy feature film Not seen one before

3) (animation) Waltz with Bashir it's highly regarded

4) (Academy Award winner) Dances with Wolves

5) (foreign language) Sholay One of the biggest ever Indian movies

6) (Western or Musical) Moulin Rouge One of the biggest hits of that weird early noughts musical revival period

7) (Horror) I Spit on your Grave (1978) Infamous

8) (sci fi/fantasy) Alphaville sounds intriguing

9) (epic) The Last Emperor

10) (wildcard) Quardophenia mods vs rockers

Watched (92): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon; Life is Beautiful; Minority Report; Rosemary's Baby; On the Waterfront; Solaris (1972); Driving Miss Daisy; Eraserhead; M (1931); This is Spinal Tap; Death Race 2000; The Producers (1967); Martin; Easy Rider; Office Space; Ghost in the Shell (1995); The Kid; Freaks (1932); The Abyss; Ben Hur (1959); Poltergeist (1982); Escape from New York; Once Upon a Time in America; Phantasm; Dracula (1958); Videodrome; Slumdog Millionaire; The Blob (1958); The Blob (1988); My Fair Lady; Avengers: Infinity War; Cinema Paradiso; 8 1/2; The Lord of the Rings (1978); Logan's Run; Willow; Misery; Bringing up Baby; Aguirre, The Wrath of God; The Man Who Fell to Earth; Candyman; The Dark Crystal; Tron; Andhadhun; Avengers: Endgame; The Lives of Others; Critters; Harakiri (1962); Blood and Black Lace; Grave of the Fireflies; The Seven Year Itch; Wings; Modern Times; The Searchers; Coraline; Cabaret; Tokyo Story; Joker; Dr Zhivago; Once Upon a Time in the West; The Hidden Fortress; An American in Paris; Der Golem; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Magic Hate Ball gets First Blood

«243 »