Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Original Name, go watch Badlands, you won't regret it.

bad movie knight posted:

Whenever Marlon Brando gets a hold of some butter, it's never boring.
Yeah, it's not boring, but I'd struggle to call it good. That's one awkward scene that encapsulates the awkwardness of the whole film. I'm still not sure what I thought of the whole thing.

On the one hand there's a lot to like in the production. Brando gives a great performance, ranging from vulnerable widow to creepy rear end in a top hat and the rest of the cast is pretty good too. Leaud's role is small but so energetic and definitely a contrast to the rest of the film, and Schneider's vacillations between vulnerability, disgust and joy seem genuine ( and from what little I've read may very well have been. The photography is nowhere near The Conformist, my only other experience with Bertolucci, but it still had some great moments. On the other hand, the actual content is totally unappealing to me. It's not even disgusting or shocking, just nothing I can even remotely relate to or sympathize with. If it weren't for the performances I would, in fact, have been bored.

So my list is now:

The Decalogue: I know I'll love this, I've seen the first 4 episodes, but I want to watch it all in a relatively short timespan and keep putting it off.

Greed and Napoleon 4 hour silents, I wonder why I haven't seen them? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching them.

Those three are the only films in the TSPDT top 150 I haven't seen.

Satantango Hey there's maybe a pattern in the films I haven't seen.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

Lola Montes Had no way to watch a good copy of this until Criterion put it out recently. No real excuses any more.

Neotpravlennoye pismo My top rated film on Criticker.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

A Passage to India I love the three Lean epics I've seen, Lawrence, Bridge and Zhivago, but this one I've just never bothered to watch for no good reason other than it's almost 3 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TonTon
May 1, 2008
I don't know any of your films, Peaceful Anarchy :( So I say Lola Monte, because it seems like you were leaning that way anyway. I hope it's good!

Holy cow. I just finished up Wall-E, and it just blew me away. I was not expecting something as compelling as that, let me say. It's a very different tone from a Pixar's other stuff, but it's still as amazing as any of their other films. It's by turns amusing and touching, and I really have to say, the characterization is just fantastic. Wall-E and Eve are both completely unique individuals, but my favourite character was definitely the Captain.

He's obviously a lot smarter than he's first made out to be, but until Eve's return, he's trapped by the constructs he grew up in, and all it took was that one little push - a seed planted in his head, I suppose - to make him realize how much there is out there for him to learn and discover.

The soundtrack is also phenomenal okay gently caress it everything was phenomenal. The art direction, the editting, the music, the voice acting.

quote:

1. Seven Samurai

I've been meaning to watch this for years. I even started watching it - twice - but had to shut it off and go to bed the first time, and fell asleep the second. :heh:

2. Casablanca

I don't know - we used to have this on VHS, and it's one of my dad's favourite movies, but the one time I began watching it, I immediately managed to pull out my last baby tooth and never started it again.

3. Lawrence of Arabia

Got as far as the opening scene with this one, got a phone call from my friend, and decided to go biking in the park.

4. The Exorcist

I'm not a fan of horror in general, though I'm starting to warm up to it. I don't even really know anything about it, aside from there being a little girl who swears a lot and vomits and turns her head all the way around.

5. Wall-E

5. The Godfather

The only excuse I can give for this is that my mother hates this movie, and because she's basically Supreme Dictator of The Television, I never got to see it.

6. It's A Wonderful Life

I have no idea how I missed this one. I love Jimmy Stewart, and it's on every year around Christmas, but I've always passed over it for some reason. I know the premise and I've seen the parodies (including a Rugrats version from the 90s), so I'm also half-worried it'll feel overhyped and underwhelming when I watch it.

7. Misery

I love Stephen King, and this is one of my favourite books of his. I caught the tail-end of this on TV once, and the guy they chose to play the author fits my mental image of him. I just never got around to renting it.

8. Breakfast at Tiffany's

I've never seen an Audrey Hepburn movie, and I've heard this is a good place to start. I only know the name of the main character, and nothing else about the film, other than that it's a classic.

9. Silence of the Lambs

I'm fascinated by serial killers and have long heard of how amazing this movie is, and have seen it oft-quoted and referenced all over the internet and on television. I don't know what's holding me back here.

TonTon fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 3, 2010

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.
TonTon I say that you will watch Silence of the Lambs because it is an amazing film and if serial killers fascinate you then that makes it perfect for you. Enjoy Anthony Hopkins.

North by Northwest - I actually haven't seen any Hitchcock and was actually very close to blindbuying this recently. I saw and enjoyed Eagle Eye for what it was and I've been told it is an homage to North by Northwest

Casablanca - I have no excuse here, just never got around to seeing unfortunately

The Good the Bad the Ugly - I have an aversion to Westerns for whatever reason and that has led to be never bothering to check this out despite all the great things I've heard. I have been enjoying Red Dead Redemption so maybe the time is right

Lawrence of Arabia - I actually had this from Netflix but never got around to watching it because of the runtime

Amelie - For whatever reason I've never had the urge to see this and have completely ignored it. Based on it being mentioned in this thread a few times I decided to just add it.

Cool Hand Luke - I like Paul Newman but have never gotten around to seeing it. I was listening to an NPR interview recently about Newman and it got me thinking again and now it might be time to check out this classic

Ratatouille - I've been slacking on Pixar lately and while I've been meaning to see this one, I haven't

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TonTon posted:

I don't know any of your films, Peaceful Anarchy :( So I say Lola Monte, because it seems like you were leaning that way anyway. I hope it's good!

Honestly, except for Neotpravlennoye pismo which I only learned about a few weeks ago, these are all films I've wanted to watch for at least a couple of years but keep putting off, generally because of their length. Lola Montes is only two hours long, though, so I should be watching it tomorrow night, and even if I don't like it it's sure to be a visual treat.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Psmith posted:

The Good the Bad the Ugly - I have an aversion to Westerns for whatever reason and that has led to be never bothering to check this out despite all the great things I've heard. I have been enjoying Red Dead Redemption so maybe the time is right

I'm playing Red Dead right now and I'm fairly certain the makers had The Man with No Name trilogy in mind when formulating this game (not the plot....just the essence and feel of the game). The score, in particular, is mimicking Ennio Morricone's amazing scores...so you will feel right at home watching (and listening) to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. You also want to round it out by watching For a Few Dollars More & Fistful of Dollars (the other two films). My ringtone right now is actually the theme from For a Few Dollars More :v:

Arkane fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 3, 2010

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
bah, meant to hit edit

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Psmith, you're just going to love North By Northwest, because that's the one you have to watch.

Watched Jules et Jim tonight. I have to say I liked it but I didn't love it. Truffaut just doesn't get me like Godard does. Godard set out to revolutionize film, but it feels like Truffaut set out to idolize film. Jules et Jim is a mostly corny melodrama that meanders across a decade and change, never really boiling. It's shapeless in a way I'm not fond of. However, it makes up for many of its faults by being poetic and having a nice tone, following the years with a sort of "time keeps on slipping" manner, and occasionally the tone and poetic nature blend with the characters and plot and create some really unbelievably splendid moments, but usually I was just kind of tagging along with the film while it did its own thing. I might write more on this later if I ruminate on it. I will say that I loved the climax.

List repost! I chopped the best-picture-winners down to one film.

1) Das Boot - Having just recently had to clean out my old family home, it became really obvious how much my dad loving loved this movie because I came across like four different recorded-from-TV VHS tapes. It's been on my "should see" list for a while but I've just never gotten around to it and I don't know why.

2) Saving Private Ryan - Another film my dad loved, another set of VHS tapes. This one I probably have misconceptions about : "late" Spielberg doing a film about WWII, a subject I have like zip interest in? At least it's on Blu, I guess.

3) Downfall - I loving own this, why haven't I seen it? A: I keep putting it off because, you know, three hour Hitler docudrama? mmmmeeehhhhh

4) The 39 Steps/Notorious - Fancy Hitchcock double feature! I know nothing about either film but apparently they're classics or something and I should, like, watch them. I actually own Notorious on VHS, but there's a nice new DVD out. Another "don't know why I've put it off".

5) Gone With The Wind - Ever since I saw the Carol Burnett spoof this has been floating around in my Netflix queue. That's a great spoof. Y'all should go watch it.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) The Color Purple - This is one of those "You've never seen x? Not even in high school!?" films. It sounds intriguing, and I like Spielberg, and the DVD cover is a really nice shade of purple, but I've just never built up the desire to bump something else out of my Netflix top three.

9) Fitzcarraldo - Ha! Ha! I still haven't seen this even though I've checked it out from the library and everyone loves Herzog, none of whose films I have yet to see.

10) The French Connection - Another been-in-the-queue-for-ages one, apparently it's a stunning magnificent thriller and frankly I could watch Gene Hackman eat a lightbulb and come away thrilled. Kinda miffed about the goofy color timing on the Blu-Ray, but it's ok, I managed Do The Right Thing, I could manage this.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Watched Jules et Jim tonight. I have to say I liked it but I didn't love it. Truffaut just doesn't get me like Godard does. Godard set out to revolutionize film, but it feels like Truffaut set out to idolize film. Jules et Jim is a mostly corny melodrama that meanders across a decade and change, never really boiling. It's shapeless in a way I'm not fond of. However, it makes up for many of its faults by being poetic and having a nice tone, following the years with a sort of "time keeps on slipping" manner, and occasionally the tone and poetic nature blend with the characters and plot and create some really unbelievably splendid moments, but usually I was just kind of tagging along with the film while it did its own thing. I might write more on this later if I ruminate on it. I will say that I loved the climax.

I had the same reaction when I saw it. Glad someone else feels the same way. Are we just missing something, or is it really just a fun little thing that's been lauded to hell and back?

I want to give it another chance, honest.

JohnnyDavidson
May 13, 2010

I think Beauty and the Beast should have ended on this scene, because I don't understand symbolism in film and I am literally incapable of recognizing foreshadowing.
Magic Hate Ball: You have to watch Saving Private Ryan. Once you get passed the first 20 minute gun battle, the movie gets really fun. I remember thinking it was going to be boring, but it really wasn't. It's nothing like Schindler's List btw, if that's what you meant by your Speilberg comment.

Forest Gump: I've seen parts of it, but never got around to watching the entire thing. It looks like Rain Man kind of.

Barry Lyndon: Watched the first 10 minutes, got bored and turned it off. I know I should really watch it because it will probably get more interesting later on. One of the few Kubrick movies I haven't watched.

City Of God: I have it, just never got around to watching it.

Back To The Future: Heard good things, supposed to be a classic 80's movie.

Ghostbusters: Another classic 80's movie that I've never seen. I don't know if you'd consider this, or Back To The Future "great movies", but I'm putting them on my list anyway.

The Seven Samurai: Don't know what to say about this one.

Rosemary's Baby: Supposed to be similar to The Exorcist?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

JohnnyDavidson posted:

Magic Hate Ball: You have to watch Saving Private Ryan. Once you get passed the first 20 minute gun battle, the movie gets really fun. I remember thinking it was going to be boring, but it really wasn't. It's nothing like Schindler's List btw, if that's what you meant by your Speilberg comment.

It's more like...generally, I find that segment of WW2 history boring and I'm not a huge fan of pretty much anything he did past Schindler's List (which I love), though that's probably unfair to say because the only one I can really remember is War Of The Worlds. Glad I got this one, actually.

thegloaming posted:

I had the same reaction when I saw it. Glad someone else feels the same way. Are we just missing something, or is it really just a fun little thing that's been lauded to hell and back?

I want to give it another chance, honest.

It's basically the same reaction I've had to every Truffaut I've seen. They're kind of fitfully brilliant, but the guy was totally unable to tell a tightly paced, continuously compelling story. His films just go and go, like he wound up the spring and then kind of sat back and let it run. Maybe I'm hilariously wrong or maybe I've just seen the wrong ones but except for Day For Night I could gladly go the rest of my life without seeing them again.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Well, there are Truffaut people and there are Godard people. It's rare to find someone who loves both. Almost every Godard movie has left me cold.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I watched the pick from my list of shame last night. The Rules of the Game is, unsurprisingly, a great film. Echoing the sentiments of many who will use this thread as an excuse to watch films they would have otherwise glossed over, I'm left wondering why I waited this long.

There's been so much written about the film already but what I really took from it was the social/political commentary: portraying the elites as buffoons and the working class as buffoons trying to emulate the elites, the amazing camerawork for a film from the 30's (so very far ahead of its time), and overall I'm stunned considering the film in the context of what Hollywood was producing at the same time. I'm certainly a better film nerd for having seen it now. I believe that a rewatch (perhaps with the commentary on the Criterion DVD) will probably help me develop an even deeper appreciation for it.

Thank you VorpalBunny for picking the film from my list.

Here's my list as it stands now, with a few additions:

InfiniteZero posted:

Berlin Alexanderplatz - love Fassbinder, but hugely intimidated by the time investment required.

Last Year At Marienbad - really didn't like Hiroshima Mon Amour, so I've avoided this one.

Inland Empire - I watch horror movies all the time, but I'm terrified by Lynch.

The Lady Vanishes - I have a Hitchcock set, but this isn't in it, so I've never done it.

The Searchers - because I never really got into John Wayne, which I understand now as a mistake.

Solaris - The Tarkovsky original. I really enjoyed Stalker but I'm not sure if I can do another Sci-Fi film from him.

The Last Picture Show - I've only caught bits of this on TV, it looks fantastic.

Day For Night - No excuse really.

And Johnny Davidson -- I'm going to send you off to watch Rosemary's Baby. Is it like The Exorcist? Not really. There's some similarities in theme and style, but it is ultimately its own film. I'm recommending it because I'm always active in the horror threads here and it's a nice change of pace to recommend a scary film that's scary because it builds so slowly and develops dread rather than recommending a film where somebody's face is pulled off or whatever.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 3, 2010

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

FitFortDanga posted:

Well, there are Truffaut people and there are Godard people. It's rare to find someone who loves both. Almost every Godard movie has left me cold.

Oh, thank god. I thought it was just me. I love Truffaut to the max because I feel like he's in touch with humanity but Godard just feels weird and pretentious.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I can't say I'm surprised that there's quite a few people who haven't watched Barry Lyndon. It's a very slow movie, but Kubrick is a very slow director. I will say, though, that even after seeing Full Metal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange, Dr. Strangelove, and 2001, that it was Barry Lyndon that made me realize I love Kubrick a whole lot.

Yeah it's slow, and yeah it's long, but there's some funny parts and the ending made me clench my buttcheeks a lot, so just give it a watch already!

My $0.02, but I'm waiting for Se7en to get here from Netflix :(

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

The Machine posted:

My $0.02, but I'm waiting for Se7en to get here from Netflix :(
So am I. For some reason I never put two and two together and just now realized that Fincher directed Fight Club. Now I'm even more excited to see this movie.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Slvbarek posted:

Oh, thank god. I thought it was just me. I love Truffaut to the max because I feel like he's in touch with humanity but Godard just feels weird and pretentious.

I mostly get the impression that Godard enjoys being an rear end in a top hat and luckily for him happens to be really good at it in an artistic way.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

InfiniteZero posted:

I mostly get the impression that Godard enjoys being an rear end in a top hat and luckily for him happens to be really good at it in an artistic way.
Also, he can direct the best "two characters in an apartment" scenes ever. That always helps.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

bad movie knight posted:

Also, he can direct the best "two characters in an apartment" scenes ever. That always helps.

Not to mention the best lingering shots of Brigitte Bardot's naked rear end.

Bonus points for that because guess what? He did that to be an rear end in a top hat.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Truffaut just doesn't get me like Godard does. Godard set out to revolutionize film, but it feels like Truffaut set out to idolize film.
This is oversimplified but seems like a fair assessment. Not that they didn't both try to do a bit of both, but Godard was definitely much more experimental and daring both in subject matter and technique. Really though, both were using film to express different things, Godard is much more of a political filmmaker, and even his earlier works show glimpses of where he was going. This required breaking conventions to express opposition. Truffaut's films are much more personal and he uses cinematic conventions to his advantage to express emotional complexities.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

They're kind of fitfully brilliant, but the guy was totally unable to tell a tightly paced, continuously compelling story. His films just go and go, like he wound up the spring and then kind of sat back and let it run.

I take this to mean you prefer the more dynamic pacing of early Godard, but framing it in this way is unfair, considering Godard's storytelling abilities are incredibly weak. Also, the pacing in Truffaut's films is intentional, often to heighten the sense of isolation or frustration, or, in the case of Jules and Jim, to help give the sense that you're watching a film taking place over several decades. His films go and go because that's how life is and what Truffaut is trying to express.

I don't love or hate either of the two, but from what I've seen Truffaut is always very good to great, whereas Godard's daring can be very entertaining and great but also really grating or just plain uninteresting.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Citizen Kane
Unfortunately, this movie was working at a disadvantage from the beginning -- being universally hailed as the "greatest movie ever," is a lofty expectation to live up to. With that said, Citizen Kane, is a solid film. Hell, it deserves a better adjective. Citizen Kane is as perfect as a film can get. The ending, even though I already knew the solution to the mystery, was still haunting to me. Also, I was remarking on some of the shots Welles used, before finding out midway through the film (with the help of Wikipedia) that he used a "deep focus." There was a really neat shot where two of the characters were talking, and you could clearly see Welles in the mirror.

Writing about this film seems silly to me, because there has been enough praise lavished on this film already. This is a great film, and anyone in this thread who has yet to watch it is missing out. But, the best thing this movie was this snippet from Wikipedia.

Wikipedia posted:

In 1989, essayist Gore Vidal cited contemporary rumors that "Rosebud" was a nickname Hearst used for his mistress Marion Davies; a reference to her clitoris,[38][39] a claim repeated as fact in the 1996 documentary The Battle Over Citizen Kane and again in the 1999 dramatic film RKO 281. Film critic Roger Ebert has been a bit more specific than Vidal about the source, saying on his commentary track for the September 2001 DVD release that "Herman Mankiewicz, the co-author with Welles of the screenplay, happened to know that "Rosebud" was William Randolph Hearst's pet name for an intimate part of Marion Davies' anatomy."[32][40] A resultant joke noted, with heavy innuendo, that Hearst and/or Kane died "with 'Rosebud' on his lips."[29]

Whether this is true or not, it's funny.

edit: Just read the new rules. I pick Solaris for InfiniteZero.

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey:
2. The Godfather: Part II:
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark:
4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail:
5. Do the Right Thing:
6. Rear Window:
7. The Shawshank Redemption:
8. Once Upon a Time in the West:
9. Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back:
10. Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask: I loved Annie Hall, but I haven't cared for his last two films much. But, after watching Bananas last night, I feel that I should probably start watching his earlier comedy work because I loved Bananas.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 3, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Citizen Kane
Unfortunately, this movie was working at a disadvantage from the beginning -- being universally hailed as the "greatest movie ever," is a lofty expectation to live up to. With that said, Citizen Kane, is a solid film. Hell, it deserves a better adjective. Citizen Kane is as perfect as a film can get. The ending, even though I already knew the solution to the mystery, was still haunting to me. Also, I was remarking on some of the shots Welles used, before finding out midway through the film (with the help of Wikipedia) that he used a "deep focus." There was a really neat shot where two of the characters were talking, and you could clearly see Welles in the mirror.

Writing about this film seems silly to me, because there has been enough praise lavished on this film already. This is a great film, and anyone in this thread who has yet to watch it is missing out. But, the best thing this movie was this snippet from Wikipedia.

Whether this is true or not, it's funny.

Great! Since you might have missed the update, could you replace a film on your list and then pick a film for InfiniteZero from his new list? thanks brah

Sent TWBB back today; Goodfellas is on its way.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 4, 2010

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I don't love or hate either of the two, but from what I've seen Truffaut is always very good to great, whereas Godard's daring can be very entertaining and great but also really grating or just plain uninteresting.

I think in general I just get more of a kick out of Godard's leaping, even when he does fail. I understand that Truffaut was working with ideas and subjects that were personal and close to him, and I understand why his films are paced like they are, but that doesn't stop me from occasionally being bored by them. However, I've only seen three Godards and four Truffauts, and both have a fairly large body of work. I'm not going to form any concrete opinions yet.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Twin Cinema posted:

4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail:

I personally think that this is one of the funniest movies of all time. I'm sure plenty others agree with me, plus I don't think you are a real goon if you can't recite that movie at will.

Citizen Kane - This movie seems too old for me to enjoy it.
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - The whole culture just doesn't interest me. Elves, hobbits, etc.
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I can't get motivated to see the movie.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) - I saw all of the other sequels and remakes in a weird jumbled order, and since I've seen the remake, I figured the original wouldn't live up to the hype
Alien (series) - I'm not a big fan of space-based sci-fi movies that aren't Star Wars.
2001: A Space Odyssey - Honestly, I don't have a reason.
The Prestige - I had the ending to this spoiled for me, so it's pretty much ruined for me.
Blade Runner - No reason
Pan's Labyrinth - I just wasn't interested in it from seeing the trailers.

And finally, the 2nd half of Godfather II - Honestly, the movie bored me, and I remember making it to "I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!" and gave up on it.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Hockles posted:

Alien (series) - I'm not a big fan of space-based sci-fi movies that aren't Star Wars.

The original is nothing like Star Wars; it's really more of a horror film.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Hockles, go watch 2001

I'm just going down IMDb's top 250 and listing the first ten I haven't seen

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Not a big Jack Nicholson fan, I dunno
City of God - I actually own this, I've just never gotten around to it
The Usual Suspects - fuckin' Baldwins, how do they get work?
Se7en - Gimmicky title. Nah, I just don't know.
Sunset Blvd - I've never even heard of this movie, am I missing something?
Amelie - chick on the cover annoys me
Double Indemnity - I'm just not that familiar with noir, I guess
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - a friendtold me not to see it, so I didn't.
Chinatown - Jack Nicholson
Life is Beautiful - A Holocaust movie? Meh.

86% of the top 75 is much better than I would have thought, heh

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 4, 2010

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Jumping in on this because I have much shame.

7 Samurai - I know the plot already but I've been meaning to give Kurosawa a go as I've never seen any of his movies. Seems like a good enough place to start, I just haven't gotten around to it.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I keep hearing good things and whenever I go to watch it something else catches my eye.

Amadeus - I used to work at a video store and I saw this all the time sitting on the shelf, plus I've heard numerous pop culture references to it. Other then that I have no idea what it's about.

There Will Be Blood - Heard about it when it came out, seen it mentioned around here a lot. No excuse.

Magnolia - Heard the title thrown around a bunch, but I don't know anything about it. I hear it's good, I dunno.

LA Confidential - Seen it on the shelf, know nothing about it.

Das Boot - I've always wanted to give this a go, but same deal as #2.

Network - Started watching it, then got propositioned for sex. Guess which won.

Rocky - Boxing never interested me but I know that's not an excuse. :(

The Elephant Man - Only ever heard it referenced in pop culture. Don't know anything else about it.

uncle jimbo I'm torn between giving you The Usual Suspects and Eternal Sunshine, but I think I'm going to go with Eternal Sunshine On the Spotless Mind. It's a great movie with some of the strongest acting I've ever seen Jim Carey produce.

VVV Exactly

Saganlives fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 4, 2010

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

uncle jimbo posted:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - a friendtold me not to see it, so I didn't.
Whoever this friend was, (s)he's a bad loving person.

TonTon
May 1, 2008
Kyle Hyde, watch One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I'm definitely not a fan of Jack Nicholson, but this is definitely one of my absolute favourite movies of all time. By turns gutwrenching and hilarious, it isn't afraid to pull any punches or blunt its message. It's also fun to see a very young Danny Devito, Christopher Lloyd, and li'l baby Brad Dourif. :3: And it looks amazing on Bluray, if you have one!

I just finished Silence of the Lambs. My god, I am sorry I didn't see it sooner - not only is Anthony Hopkins disturbingly sultry as Lecter, but Jodie Foster plays a powerful female lead against him. She's as compelling and as strong a character as he is, although I can see why he captured the public psyche. As for Buffalo Bill, I found him pitiable despite his crimes, and I can definitely see the influence Ed Gein had on his profile. I have to ask, though; in the scene where Lecter fakes being the mutilated cop to escape (which blew my mind; totally wasn't expecting that), wouldn't having a grand mal seizure gently caress his plans up? Or did he just fake it?

Fixed list:

quote:

1. Seven Samurai

I've been meaning to watch this for years. I even started watching it - twice - but had to shut it off and go to bed the first time, and fell asleep the second. :heh:

2. Casablanca

I don't know - we used to have this on VHS, and it's one of my dad's favourite movies, but the one time I began watching it, I immediately managed to pull out my last baby tooth and never started it again.

3. Lawrence of Arabia

Got as far as the opening scene with this one, got a phone call from my friend, and decided to go biking in the park.

4. The Exorcist

I'm not a fan of horror in general, though I'm starting to warm up to it. I don't even really know anything about it, aside from there being a little girl who swears a lot and vomits and turns her head all the way around.

5. Wall-E

5. The Godfather

The only excuse I can give for this is that my mother hates this movie, and because she's basically Supreme Dictator of The Television, I never got to see it.

6. It's A Wonderful Life

I have no idea how I missed this one. I love Jimmy Stewart, and it's on every year around Christmas, but I've always passed over it for some reason. I know the premise and I've seen the parodies (including a Rugrats version from the 90s), so I'm also half-worried it'll feel overhyped and underwhelming when I watch it.

7. Misery

I love Stephen King, and this is one of my favourite books of his. I caught the tail-end of this on TV once, and the guy they chose to play the author fits my mental image of him. I just never got around to renting it.

8. Breakfast at Tiffany's

I've never seen an Audrey Hepburn movie, and I've heard this is a good place to start. I only know the name of the main character, and nothing else about the film, other than that it's a classic.

9. Silence of the Lambs

9. There Will Be Blood

I don't know anything about it, but I love the poster. Something about oil tycoons?

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

TonTon posted:

Kyle Hyde, watch One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I'm definitely not a fan of Jack Nicholson, but this is definitely one of my absolute favourite movies of all time. By turns gutwrenching and hilarious, it isn't afraid to pull any punches or blunt its message. It's also fun to see a very young Danny Devito, Christopher Lloyd, and li'l baby Brad Dourif. :3: And it looks amazing on Bluray, if you have one!

I just finished Silence of the Lambs. My god, I am sorry I didn't see it sooner - not only is Anthony Hopkins disturbingly sultry as Lecter, but Jodie Foster plays a powerful female lead against him. She's as compelling and as strong a character as he is, although I can see why he captured the public psyche. As for Buffalo Bill, I found him pitiable despite his crimes, and I can definitely see the influence Ed Gein had on his profile. I have to ask, though; in the scene where Lecter fakes being the mutilated cop to escape (which blew my mind; totally wasn't expecting that), wouldn't having a grand mal seizure gently caress his plans up? Or did he just fake it?

I was under the impression he was faking it to get out of the crime scene without having to speak.

Anyway, Nicholson here we come!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Kyle Hyde posted:

Network is better than sex :colbert:

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

TonTon, time for a little Holiday cheer in your life, go watch It's a Wonderful Life.

Just finished Tokyo Story, took me a bit to really get into it but once I did, I liked it quite a bit. Kinda depressing and I swear I wanted to smack their daughter around every time she was on screen. The ending isn't exactly upbeat either but still, a good movie.

Updated list...

La Strada
Barry Lyndon
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Andrei Rublev
Solaris
Fanny and Alexander
Ikiru
Stalker
Cabaret
Grand Illusion

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Go watch Fanny and Alexander, the long version, Wilhelm Scream.

Lola Montes Not quite great but still a very good film with some rough edges. As I expected the visuals were really nice, and though I've seen better they kept me watching through some of the slower moments. I've now seen 7 Ophuls films and it's pretty clear his thing was commenting on the way women are restricted by social norms, especially in romance. This isn't particularly something I care to see over and over and I'd say he's done it better in other films but Lola Montes does have a few things going for it. The circus show framing is original and while awkward at first gives us some very good moments, including a superb finale. Though the composition and camerawork has been better in other Ophuls films, this one being in colour offers a unique extravagance with its sets and costumes coming to life. After the intro I'll admit the film felt really slow and meandering for a while, never giving us enough reason to care about Lola, but around the halfway mark it all began to gel together and by the end I was quite involved in the film. So all in all, not great but a more positive experience than Last Tango in Paris.

Let's give this another go::

The Decalogue: I know I'll love this, I've seen the first 4 episodes, but I want to watch it all in a relatively short timespan and keep putting it off.

Greed and Napoleon 4 hour silents, I wonder why I haven't seen them? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching them.

Those three are the only films in the TSPDT top 150 I haven't seen.

Satantango Hey there's maybe a pattern in the films I haven't seen.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

Neotpravlennoye pismo My top rated film on Criticker.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

A Passage to India I love the three Lean epics I've seen, Lawrence, Bridge and Zhivago, but this one I've just never bothered to watch for no good reason other than it's almost 3 hours.

First Blood In looking for popular films I haven't seen I realized this stands out. I'm kind of curious about it but in my mind Rambo is synonymous with 80's U.S. imperialism so I never really bothered.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Jay Dub posted:

Blue Velvet it is. Added it to the top of my Netflix queue.

I just watched Blue Velvet yesterday and you won't regret it. It is bizarre and hilarious (which might make me a psychopath).

Original Name, go with Blade Runner. It's one of the best movies ever. You will not regret it. For content: I haven't seen any Kurosawa movies. I feel like this might be illegal in some states. Where to start?

Also:
Dog Day Afternoon (most Pacino movies)
Taxi Driver
Easy Rider
The French Connection
Chinatown
Predator

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I choose Dog Day Afternoon for you OregonDonor, it's one of my favourites.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Luckily, I had a copy of this film around the house to ensure quick viewing. But, this is definitely not the film for me. I found some of the material funny, but overall, I grew weary of the movie long before its conclusion. If I had to rate this, I would give it a 4.5 out of 10.

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey:
2. The Godfather: Part II:
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark:
4. Do the Right Thing:
5. Rear Window:
6. The Shawshank Redemption:
7. Once Upon a Time in the West:
8. Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back:
9. Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask:

10. Yojimbo: I love all the Kurosawa I have watched, but never got around to watching this film. I even got it through the Canadian version of Netflix (I can't remember the name right now), but I sent it back before watching it.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 4, 2010

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Peaceful Anarchy, I request and require that you watch First Blood because it really has very little to do with the overblown shenanigans of the later Rambo films.

My list:

1.The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - somehow I've never gotten round to seeing this. I'm not keen on Westerns on the whole, having seen a few of Eastwood's other efforts.

2. Rear Window - again, I've ignored most of Hitchcock's work out of indifference. I thought North by Northwest was dull, so maybe I just have poo poo taste in movies.

3. The Pianist - despite all the critical acclaim, I don't find the premise appealing.

4. Pan's Labyrinth - for shame, Deadford, for shame! Why do I purposely avoid this? Is it because I'm allergic to the gushing love for Spanish cinema that blossomed in the 90s?

5. Some Like It Hot - :effort: I probably owe it to myself to see some Billy Wilder

6. Slumdog Millionaire - eh, again another film that doesn't call out to me. Another massive critical love-in.

7. Annie Hall - like Hitchcock, Woody Allen's movies fly under my radar. I've heard a lot more about Annie Hall than some of his other works.

8. The Seventh Seal - Bergman. A reputation for weightiness is responsible here.

9. Mean Streets - I like Scorsese, but haven't got around to seeing some of his stuff from the 70s.

10. Les quatre cents coups - Perhaps it would serve as an introduction to Truffaut and that whole French New Wave thingy-ma-bob.

Pick away!

Robert Deadford fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 4, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

OregonDonor posted:

Original Name, go with Blade Runner.

Robert_Deadford posted:

Peaceful Anarchy, I request and require that you watch First Blood

You guys are messing with the order. Why is this so hard for people to figure out?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

OergonDonor picks for Peaceful Anarchy

Robert_Deadford picks for Twin Cinema

Or if you want to make things easier:

OregonDonor picks for Twin Cinema

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

uncle jimbo posted:

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Not a big Jack Nicholson fan, I dunno

Young Jack is a lot better than old Jack. I recommend you also check out The Last Detail and Five Easy Pieces if you like him in this, if someone picks it for you!

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Just finished One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and I liked it. I wouldn't say it's going to come to mind when someone asks what my favorite movies are, but it was enjoyable. I really dug seeing young versions of all those actors. I didn't even know anyone noteworthy was in it beyond Jack, and I find it really interesting to see Brad Dourif going from that to something like Deadwood many years later.

Updated list:

Kyle Hyde posted:

7 Samurai - I know the plot already but I've been meaning to give Kurosawa a go as I've never seen any of his movies. Seems like a good enough place to start, I just haven't gotten around to it.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

The Exorcist - It's a movie that's been commented on and parodied to death, I guess I just never felt the drive to actually go to the source.

Amadeus - I used to work at a video store and I saw this all the time sitting on the shelf, plus I've heard numerous pop culture references to it. Other then that I have no idea what it's about.

There Will Be Blood - Heard about it when it came out, seen it mentioned around here a lot. No excuse.

Magnolia - Heard the title thrown around a bunch, but I don't know anything about it. I hear it's good, I dunno.

LA Confidential - Seen it on the shelf, know nothing about it.

Das Boot - I've always wanted to give this a go, but same deal as #2.

Rocky - Boxing never interested me but I know that's not an excuse. :(

The Elephant Man - Only ever heard it referenced in pop culture. Don't know anything else about it.

Robert_Deadford I command thee, watch Pan's Labyrinth. It wasn't at all what I was expecting, and I was pretty blown away at some of the brutality and, of course, beauty of a lot of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Kyle Hyde, watch Rocky. Stallone is genuinely charming in it, which makes you really care about the character and want him to succeed. Also, all the trivia about the movie just makes it that much more enjoyable. Here's just a few from the IMDB page:

quote:

After producers Irwin Winkler and Robert Chartoff became interested in the script, they offered writer Sylvester Stallone an unprecedented $350,000 for the rights, but he refused to sell unless they agreed to allow him to star in the film (this despite the fact that he had only $106 in the bank, no car and was trying to sell his dog because he couldn't afford to feed it). They agreed, but only on the condition that Stallone continue to work as a writer without a fee and that he work as an actor for scale. After Winkler and Chartoff purchased the film, they took it to United Artists, who envisioned a budget of $2 million, but that was on the basis of using an established star (they particularly wanted Robert Redford, Ryan O'Neal, Burt Reynolds or James Caan). United Artists didn't want Stallone to star, and when Winkler and Chartoff told them that the only way they could get him to sell the screenplay was to agree to cast him, United Artists cut the budget to $1 million, and had Chartoff and Winkler sign agreements that if the film went over budget, they would be personally liable. The final cost of the film was $1.1 million. The $0.1 million came after Chartoff and Winkler mortgaged their homes so as to complete the project.

quote:

When shooting the scenes in the meat-locker where he punches the slabs of beef, actor Sylvester Stallone punched the meat so hard for so long that he flattened out his knuckles. To this day, when he makes a fist, his knuckles are completely level.

Here's my list:

Halloween - I'm a Carpenter fan, but this is one of three movies I've never seen of his. I DVR'd it off IFC once, but the widescreen was all stretched out and hosed up as they do with so many movies on there and I didn't want to see it like that. I tried renting it once from a video store, but the disc was scratched. Then I just lost interest.

The Shining - I've only seen two Kubrick movies, 2001 and Clockwork Orange. 2001 I liked a great deal and Clockwork Orange I thought was just 'eh'. I know a lot of people love the movie, and there were things I liked in it, but overall it just didn't really interest me. I've avoided The Shining because I figure I'll probably feel the same about it. I've seen clips of it they didn't grab me.

The City of Lost Children - I don't really know anything about this movie, just that it's supposed to be good. Never felt any pull towards finding out anything more about it. I'd be going into this one blind.

Midnight Cowboy - I know nothing about this movie, except 'that song' plays in it. Just saw Dustin Hoffman in American Buffalo recently, and thought it was the best thing I'd ever seen him in. I hear he's good in this too.

Mulholland Drive - I love Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart. Hated Inland Empire with a fervor. Thought Lost Highway had some good parts. For some reason I lump Inland and Highway in with this one, because I hear this one is sorta aimless too. Maybe it isn't though, this is just based on hearsay.

Mean Streets - I love Goodfellas and Raging Bull. Scorcese's other movies that I've seen I think are just okay. I know nothing about this one.

The Night of the Hunter - Love Robert Mitchum, know nothing about this other than he's in it and Undertow (which I liked a lot) was heavily influenced by it.

Badlands - Love Days of Heaven, haven't seen anything else by Malick. I have great respect for him, but I've never gotten around to this one, which I'd like to see before moving on to his more recent work.

Heathers - I feel like I'd like this movie, but have never gotten around to it. I love the quote 'gently caress me gently with a chainsaw' but I know nothing else about this movie.

Paranoid Park - Loved Elephant, hated Gerry, hated Last Days. I fear I'll hate this one too, after those. If it's like Elephant though, I'll like it.