Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Jurgan posted:

I recommend Roger Ebert's commentary track for Kane. He points out how a lot of the shots were composed using special effects that we might not even notice today.

My personal favourite:

Citizen Kane is genuinely one of the most gorgeous films out there. No wonder Welles put d.p. Toland's name right besides his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

8) (sci fi/fantasy) Logan's Run Feelin old

"Capricorn 15's. Born 2244. Enter the Carousel. This is the time of renewal."

Manos: The Hands of Fate - A family gets lost on the lonesome roads of El Paso, TX. They encounter a strange pagan death cult with a harem of women led by The Master and his servant Torgo. Six bickering women have a violent religious debate over whether or not to kill the new visitors. It has better characterization than some films and I was reminded a little of Holy Hell (2016).

The major subplot involves a couple who keep necking and snogging in a car while being chased around by two cops with nothing better to do. At times it's like a home movie that lacks craftsmanship. It breaks lots of rules but there are two sides to every coin and this also makes it unpredictable and interesting. It breaks the norms just like The Room (2003) did.

Its long reaction shots might come across as slipshod and rudimentary but they point back to the silent film style of the 1920s. The strange framing, dubbing and shaky camera give it a carefree/avant-garde feeling. It's a 180 degree change from the meticulous methods of say someone like Alain Resnais.

It has a funny ending but it did leave me wanting to know more about Manos and why he's worshiped.

James Bond versus Godzilla (34/64 completed):

Notebooks on Cinema's 100 Most Beautiful Films in the World (95/100 completed):

#23 The Mother and the Whore - It's ranked highly on the TSPDT list every year. 12/10/18

#46 The Crowd – Something about NYC. 12/23/18

#83 Tabu: A Story of the South Seas - An island adventure. 10/20/18

#88 Him AKA El - I haven't seen a Luis Bunuel film lately. 1/16/19

Rolling Stone's 100 Maverick Movies of the Last 100 Years (99/100 completed):

Hesitation (2 completed):

#1 Possession - One of those lauded horror films. 3/7/19

#2 Dog Star Man - Seems like it might be time to watch this one. 3/28/19

#4 Frost/Nixon - A best picture nominee I keep forgetting to watch. 4/13/19

#5 Anand - Some call it the greatest Indian film ever made. 4/23/19

#7 Summer with Monika - I feel like I've seen thirty Bergman films but there are still other acclaimed ones I've missed. 5/11/19

new #8 She's Having a Baby - Between 1984 and 1987 John Hughes directed Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Planes, Trains & Automobiles. In one word: amazing. Then later on he did Uncle Buck and Curly Sue. This is the only John Hughes direction I haven't seen. 5/17/19

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 17, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jurgan posted:

I recommend Roger Ebert's commentary track for Kane. He points out how a lot of the shots were composed using special effects that we might not even notice today. Things like panning up a pillar and then cutting to a shot of a papier mache model of a headto make you think it's a giant stone bust atop the pillar, or shooting Kane in close-up immediately after a crowd shot to make you think he's giving a speech to a lot of people.

I'll check it out thanks

One of my art teachers made us watch CK. Oddly enough he was out anatomy teacher and several students were not into his methods since they all thought we'd be doing traditional DaVinci style nudes and naming all the muscles/bones and poo poo. But he was teaching past the class and not much of that helps you DRAW. He was trying to get us to SEE anc also communicate. He viewed all art the same and said the main goal is communicating. He had us draw models clothed more than nude because, let's face it, how often do you draw or have to depict a naked person? He'd bring in obese models, older ones, dress them up in costumes...

Getting off track a bit but the things he wanted us to glean from CK were things like framing, camera angles, the use of light and shadow, storytelling, scene depiction and generally describing what's going on. Again, visual communication. He was a great teacher who showed me how to think outside the box and think about things like close ups, panoramas, cropping, scale, pacing, texture, mood and point out stuff that we absorb as a viewer but that's not always obvious.

Stuff that seems simple and rote but that really describes an image. It's hard to explain and I'm sorry for the rant but Kane is brilliant. Prior to what Wells did, most films were shot like plays.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Zogo I'm in a endless loop with giving you recommendations but my next one would be She's Having a Baby, not only to complete your John Hughes film foray. You're right in that it bridges the gap between his other films and the amazing Uncle Buck (amazing to me okay :( ).

--------------------------

From Citizens Kane to The Third Man, I think I like Orson Welles. I enjoyed The Third Man a lot, although felt it was a little bit too long. I enjoyed the story and the twists and turns, but those shots were the camera are tilted were a bit too much for me. Was there some underlying meaning to those shots that I am missing? Good movie though and glad I watched it. Would've cut out a portion of it to make it flow better but I bet thats a sacrilegious statement lol. Guy Ritchie's Snatch reminded me of it in some ways, wonder if he took inspiration in it.

New List:

1. Lawrence of Arabia - It's three hours long I believe and it occupies the space in my brain that PC games do; I can't decide which version of it is best to watch for visual fidelity. I heard the best thing to do is sit about 6 inches from the screen also while watching it which seems....odd?

2. Paths of Glory - Another Kubrick film I haven't seen. I heard it was enjoyable and entertaining, just haven't watched it as it wasn't easily attainable to watch.

3. Seven Samurai - I have a weird love for Akira Kurasawa's Dreams but I have never watched any of his other movies. I have watched movies that say they are heavily inspired by seven samurai such as magnificant seven .

4. Taxi Driver - This keeps coming up over and over again and i've never seen it. Liek someone else said I feel like i've seen the entirety of it through parodies throughout the years but not too sure.

5. Floating Weeds - I saw that clip of Roger Eberts commentary over it and fell in love with what I was watching. I never went through with watching it as I didn't think there was a blu-ray version released and I couldn't stomache watching a DVD in 2018. However it appears it's on criterion channel!!

6. Hidden Fortress - I picked this up from a Crtierion sale after hearing how great it was and how it inspired Star Wars, but I haven't watched it yet as I felt I needed to tackle Seven Samurai, Rashoman and others first.

7. The Searchers - I love Disney Parks, and there used to be a ride called The Great Movie Ride at Disney MGM Studios that had clips of this movie on a ginormous screen. I always enjoyed watching the little clips of it but never watched the full thing.

9. Stalker - A goon favorite to recommend, I bought it on criterion when it came out but I haven't gotten around to watch it.

10. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - I don't believe this movie is any good, I could be very off, but I remember walking out of a Terminator 2:3D screening in Tampa Florida in 2017, seeing the theatre was playing this film again and said "man I gotta watch that someday". Hence why it's on here.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Empress Brosephine posted:

From Citizens Kane to The Third Man, I think I like Orson Welles. I enjoyed The Third Man a lot, although felt it was a little bit too long. I enjoyed the story and the twists and turns, but those shots were the camera are tilted were a bit too much for me. Was there some underlying meaning to those shots that I am missing? Good movie though and glad I watched it. Would've cut out a portion of it to make it flow better but I bet thats a sacrilegious statement lol. Guy Ritchie's Snatch reminded me of it in some ways, wonder if he took inspiration in it.

Tilted cameras are generally meant to indicate disorder or feeling out-of-control. In this case, I think it represents the whole country as having fallen to ruin post-war.

Or you can pull a Battlefield Earth and just shoot every shot that way.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
One of the primary themes of The Third Man is the bonechilling gap between what Holly Martin (as a stand-in for Americans at home) thinks is happening in Vienna and what is actually going on, and the jaunty tunes and fun-house angles are a big part of that. Martin thinks he’s off to have a jolly adventure in goofy old Europe, rescuing his college pal from another whoopsie with the local PD. This eventually leads to that scene where the commander takes him to a children’s hospital and shows him a kid who was given some of Lime’s fake penicillin, and we don’t see the results, but the fact that the commander calls what’s left of the patient “it” tells us all we need to know. Holly can’t get a grip when his entire world is at an angle he’s not used to.

Also, they’re just fun!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That makes sense and I can see the link now. I forgot to mention it but that was my favorite part of the movie was looking at Vienna post war and seeing how it really was.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

From Citizens Kane to The Third Man, I think I like Orson Welles. I enjoyed The Third Man a lot, although felt it was a little bit too long. I enjoyed the story and the twists and turns, but those shots were the camera are tilted were a bit too much for me. Was there some underlying meaning to those shots that I am missing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_angle

It's a technique that originated in German Expressionism (the name itself is a mistranslation of Deutsch = German) to indicate a character's warped state of mind. The Third Man is probably the most famous application of it.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Check this one out next!

4. Taxi Driver - This keeps coming up over and over again and i've never seen it. Liek someone else said I feel like i've seen the entirety of it through parodies throughout the years but not too sure.

Logan's Run

In a future city, everyone lives 30 years of comfort and hedonism before being sent for "renewal". Some try to run.
Love me a sci-fi distopia

The special effects are a mixed bag. I appreciate the effort made, but the model city is a bit too obvious from the way the water moved and "Box", the robot, would have looked bad in a 1970s episode of Dr Who. Overall though, it's a good looking movie with nice sets and costumes.
Logan's voice was so distinctive and it was driving me mad trying to place it. About halfway through it clicked: Basil Exposition from Austin Powers. It's an absurdly plummy voice. Good cast in general, including Peter Ustinov as the Old Man
I feel it could have done more to explore Logan and Jessica adapting to life without the city to provide for them.

I wouldn't call it a classic, but it's well worth watching.

My List:

1) (highest ranked imdb) Andhadhun Really unfamiliar with Indian cinema in general

2) (comedy) Bringing up Baby 😺

3) (animation) Grave of the Fireflies Ghibli's not let me down so far

4) (Academy Award winner) Wings The first winner

5) (foreign language) Aguire, the Wrath of God Never seen a Only seen one Herzog*

6) (Monster) Critters Best known of the Gremlins knockoffs

7) (Horror) Misery Ow mah legs

8) (sci fi/fantasy) Willow Warwick Davis gets to be the star of a fantasy film for a change

9) (epic) Dr Zhivago Just very famous

10) (wildcard) Quardophenia mods vs rockers

Watched (63): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon; Life is Beautiful; Minority Report; Rosemary's Baby; On the Waterfront; Solaris (1972); Driving Miss Daisy; Eraserhead; M (1931); This is Spinal Tap; Death Race 2000; The Producers (1967); Martin; Easy Rider; Office Space; Ghost in the Shell (1995); The Kid; Freaks (1932); The Abyss; Ben Hur (1959); Poltergeist (1982); Escape from New York; Once Upon a Time in America; Phantasm; Dracula (1958); Videodrome; Slumdog Millionaire; The Blob (1958); The Blob (1988); My Fair Lady; Avengers: Infinity War; Cinema Paradiso; 8 1/2; The Lord of the Rings (1978); Logan's Run

*Saw Nosferatu the other day. It was good.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bitterandtwisted posted:

8) (sci fi/fantasy) Willow Warwick Davis gets to be the star of a fantasy film for a change

I love Willow and I love the name Madmartigan, so I recomend watching that.

I had Taxi Driver as a suggestion. I am glad I watched it as yeah, even though it's been parodied to death I had a vastly different expectation of what the film was compared to waht it actually was. I don't know how I feel to be honest, it was a very well done and shot film (how come Scorcese never had cinematography that good again IMHO) but I found it extremely unnerving to watch especially considering the current state of soldiers and PTSD...but I imagine it was pretty unnerving when it released also. Not too sure how I feel about the ending either as it felt like the character got a happy ending when he didn't really deserve one? I'm not sure...very conflicting of a feeling. I loved seeing New York in that era though. Great reccomendation though I won't ever forget it. One thing that is for sure though is I don't understand how anyone can ever look at Travis Bickle and idolize him.

I'm going to start going down the TSPDT 1000 Greatst Film List once I get rid of some of these things I put on my list randomly....like Close Encounters...

1. Tokyo Story - I've heard its amazing and that's about it.

2. Paths of Glory - Another Kubrick film I haven't seen. I heard it was enjoyable and entertaining, just haven't watched it as it wasn't easily attainable to watch.

3. Seven Samurai - I have a weird love for Akira Kurasawa's Dreams but I have never watched any of his other movies. I have watched movies that say they are heavily inspired by seven samurai such as magnificant seven .

4. Vertigo - I have no idea what this is about or anything about it except that is by Hitchcock and its on the TSPDT list.

5. Floating Weeds - I saw that clip of Roger Eberts commentary over it and fell in love with what I was watching. I never went through with watching it as I didn't think there was a blu-ray version released and I couldn't stomache watching a DVD in 2018. However it appears it's on criterion channel!!

6. Hidden Fortress - I picked this up from a Crtierion sale after hearing how great it was and how it inspired Star Wars, but I haven't watched it yet as I felt I needed to tackle Seven Samurai, Rashoman and others first.

7. The Searchers - I love Disney Parks, and there used to be a ride called The Great Movie Ride at Disney MGM Studios that had clips of this movie on a ginormous screen. I always enjoyed watching the little clips of it but never watched the full thing.

9. Stalker - A goon favorite to recommend, I bought it on criterion when it came out but I haven't gotten around to watch it.

10. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - I don't believe this movie is any good, I could be very off, but I remember walking out of a Terminator 2:3D screening in Tampa Florida in 2017, seeing the theatre was playing this film again and said "man I gotta watch that someday". Hence why it's on here.

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 28, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

1. Lawrence of Arabia - It's three hours long I believe and it occupies the space in my brain that PC games do; I can't decide which version of it is best to watch for visual fidelity. I heard the best thing to do is sit about 6 inches from the screen also while watching it which seems....odd?

The reason people probably say to watch Lawrence of Arabia close to the screen is because most home set-ups aren't really capable of reproducing the epic quality that the film has. But if you have a big screen and sit close enough to it that it's taking up your entire field of vision, you can achieve something relatively close.

It's flat-out some of the most impressive images ever put to film, so you want as little visual clutter as possible coming between you and the those images.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Not too sure how I feel about the ending either as it felt like the character got a happy ending when he didn't really deserve one? I'm not sure...very conflicting of a feeling. I loved seeing New York in that era though. Great reccomendation though I won't ever forget it. One thing that is for sure though is I don't understand how anyone can ever look at Travis Bickle and idolize him.

What does it say about the society that celebrates such actions? From the outside perspective a veteran saved a young girl from prostitution, though he unfortunately had to kill to do it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TrixRabbi posted:

What does it say about the society that celebrates such actions? From the outside perspective a veteran saved a young girl from prostitution, though he unfortunately had to kill to do it.

I believe that's what makes it conflicting because yeah while that is good he did that, the only reason he did it was because he couldn't follow through on his assassination plot to get some personal vindication over Betsy who didn't want anything to do with him. Plus, the psychological effects of point blank murder of the pimps in front of Jodie Fosters character....I don't know, thats why its so conflicting to me. It's bad yet good. It's good because he wasn't able to take out his assassination plot. This is probably what makes the movie so great lol.

As for Lawrence of Arabia, I have a 55" TV so i'd probably have to sit close to it. It actually looks like it's going to be in theaters in September again so maybe that's how I should watch it.

EDIT: I took Lawrence off my list as I would really enjoy seeing it in a theatre my first time and I don't want to not play this game until September lol.

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 28, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Plus, the psychological effects of point blank murder of the pimps in front of Jodie Fosters character....I don't know, thats why its so conflicting to me. It's bad yet good. It's good because he wasn't able to take out his assassination plot. This is probably what makes the movie so great lol.

The podcast Unspooled had a really great point about that moment:

As disturbing as it is, Jodie Foster has been normalized to her environment. To her, the pimps are not only employers, but protectors and security. In every way, they are her family. She does not fully consider herself a victim. So, in this context, that weird man that she's talked to a few times busts in and kills her family/support structure. Even if we consider her as suffering from Stockholm Syndrome, it is still disturbing. Even if she does wanted to escape, seeing the bloodbath is disturbing. Viewers like to assume that her real family back home is nice and good, and that her rescuing is a good thing, but there's negative space to assume otherwise. She ran away from her parents for a reason, unknown to us.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Franchescanado posted:

The podcast Unspooled had a really great point about that moment:

As disturbing as it is, Jodie Foster has been normalized to her environment. To her, the pimps are not only employers, but protectors and security. In every way, they are her family. She does not fully consider herself a victim. So, in this context, that weird man that she's talked to a few times busts in and kills her family/support structure. Even if we consider her as suffering from Stockholm Syndrome, it is still disturbing. Even if she does wanted to escape, seeing the bloodbath is disturbing. Viewers like to assume that her real family back home is nice and good, and that her rescuing is a good thing, but there's negative space to assume otherwise. She ran away from her parents for a reason, unknown to us.

This is basically how I feel. We don’t really know what her home life was like and it was just Travis assuming that freeing her out via a murder spree was better than the alternative. And then to end the movie with Travis being a Hero and back at his job...granted I took it as him finally getting sleep from his coma so he’s stabilized but It was hard to ignore everything leading up to that point. I don’t think I’ve thought this way about a movie since I first saw a Clockwork Orange

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

This is basically how I feel. We don’t really know what her home life was like and it was just Travis assuming that freeing her out via a murder spree was better than the alternative. And then to end the movie with Travis being a Hero and back at his job...granted I took it as him finally getting sleep from his coma so he’s stabilized but It was hard to ignore everything leading up to that point. I don’t think I’ve thought this way about a movie since I first saw a Clockwork Orange

Here's the episode of Unspooled, which I think is essential listening if its your first time watching Taxi Driver. Especially their arguments on whether the film's events are objectively shown, or if it is from Travis Bickle's perspective.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks I’ll check out that podcast, I couldn’t find it on the site so much appreciated.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think it's also important to remember that Travis "saving" her is just a rationalization, it's the thing he's telling himself to justify the thing he really has wanted to do the whole movie, before he ever met her. Travis has several layers of that built up around himself, all designed to achieve the real end goal which is to find an outlet for his violent thoughts. He's a veteran who is now back home in a society that ignores him and offers him no outlet for the tendencies that were probably celebrated in the military. So he's convinced himself that he's this crusader against the corruption he perceives all around him but that's just his way of rationalizing acts of violence, and when he can't find a grand enough "mission" to satisfy that narrative he just falls back on Foster's character as an easy back-up plan to allow him the violent release he's looking for.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I think it's also important to remember that Travis "saving" her is just a rationalization, it's the thing he's telling himself to justify the thing he really has wanted to do the whole movie, before he ever met her. Travis has several layers of that built up around himself, all designed to achieve the real end goal which is to find an outlet for his violent thoughts. He's a veteran who is now back home in a society that ignores him and offers him no outlet for the tendencies that were probably celebrated in the military. So he's convinced himself that he's this crusader against the corruption he perceives all around him but that's just his way of rationalizing acts of violence, and when he can't find a grand enough "mission" to satisfy that narrative he just falls back on Foster's character as an easy back-up plan to allow him the violent release he's looking for.

One of my favorite things brought up in Unspooled, which now I can't ignore, is that there is plenty of evidence that Travis is not a veteran, he just participates in stolen valor to feel tougher, solidify his ego, justify his arrogance, etc.

Also, Travis hates sex workers. So, honestly, 'saving her' is just one step away from doing so with a bullet with her name on it. She's also the only woman in the film whom he successfully exerts control over, albeit indirectly by murdering pimps.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

And because the ultimate targets of his violence are society's undesirables -- pimps and drug dealers -- his actions are celebrated because they appear to form a neat narrative for the newspapers to pick up on and there's the "happy ending" that a girl is saved from a life of prostitution to return to her family. They're completely unaware of the porno theaters, the assassination attempt, the stalking of Cybil Shepard's character, his perverse broken psyche. And it's given him positive reinforcement for his disturbed tendencies. Just as killing Vietnamese peasants in wartime would be celebrated, whereas killing LBJ or Nixon would receive capital punishment. At the end of the day, it's all killing. The Travis at the end of the film is a ticking time bomb, made all the worse by the society that has now decided he's a hero.

Franchescanado posted:

One of my favorite things brought up in Unspooled, which now I can't ignore, is that there is plenty of evidence that Travis is not a veteran, he just participates in stolen valor to feel tougher, solidify his ego, justify his arrogance, etc.

Huh. I never picked up on this.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Interesting view points on it. I haven’t Sean it but isn’t King of Comedy simulator in that it’s a “ticking time bomb” character?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

Huh. I never picked up on this.

He doesn't know much about guns. He doesn't have really any tactical knowledge when it comes to wielding a gun. His hand-to-hand combat seems like it's taken from TV and movies. His military jacket would easily be purchased at a number of thrift stores.

You could also say that he entered the military but was immediately discharged for mental health issues. There's just no way he finished training or saw active duty.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Interesting view points on it. I haven’t Sean it but isn’t King of Comedy simulator in that it’s a “ticking time bomb” character?

Yeah, The King of Comedy follows a very similar plot structure, but its protagonists is so pathetic that no viewer could possibly idolise him the way some people idolised Travis Bickle and, consequently, him being adored for his crimes reads like an unambiguous indictment of society rather than a deserved happy ending.

The fact that it came out one year after John Hinckley Jr. fired at Ronald Reagan makes me wonder if The King of Comedy was Scorsese's attempt to distance himself from these events by showing that he in no way endorses this kind of character.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Next one for you:

Willow

It's cute and fun and funny, the sort of thing I'd probably have loved as a kid. Val Kilmer is charismatic and Warwick Davis is a likeable unlikely hero.
The villains are generic and the daughter's redemption arc was dumb and predictable, but it's still an engaging story.

My List:

1) (highest ranked imdb) Andhadhun Really unfamiliar with Indian cinema in general

5) (foreign language) Aguire, the Wrath of God Only seen one Herzog before

8) (sci fi/fantasy) The Man Who Fell to Earth David Bowie is an alien

Watched (64): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon; Life is Beautiful; Minority Report; Rosemary's Baby; On the Waterfront; Solaris (1972); Driving Miss Daisy; Eraserhead; M (1931); This is Spinal Tap; Death Race 2000; The Producers (1967); Martin; Easy Rider; Office Space; Ghost in the Shell (1995); The Kid; Freaks (1932); The Abyss; Ben Hur (1959); Poltergeist (1982); Escape from New York; Once Upon a Time in America; Phantasm; Dracula (1958); Videodrome; Slumdog Millionaire; The Blob (1958); The Blob (1988); My Fair Lady; Avengers: Infinity War; Cinema Paradiso; 8 1/2; The Lord of the Rings (1978); Logan's Run; Willow

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Travis is also an ironic celebration of American interventionism - if anything good happens, it’s an accidental side effect of our righteous desire to maim, rape, and kill.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

"I thought you were good Paul...but you're not good. You're just another lying ol' dirty birdy."

She's Having a Baby - It has its fair share of funny moments and it's surprisingly quotable. Some of the pitfalls of suburban life (ennui, sexual temptation, in-laws, domestication failures) are enough to induce an early onset midlife crisis in Jake Briggs (Kevin Bacon) and his wife, Kristy (Elizabeth McGovern). So it intersects a little with things like American Beauty (1999), About Schmidt (2002) and Lost in America (1985).

Things get even worse when the couple must work through infertility issues. Spoiler alert, despite some dramatic labor problems, they have a baby.

Also watched:

Possession - I thought this was going to be straight horror but it actually traverses the genres by throwing in action/thriller elements at times. It focuses on a family in crisis as relationships unravel and we witness dramatic and raw spousal abuse and domestic violence.

What first seems like a run-of-the-mill affair turns out to be something more sinister. At times it's like a proto-Hellraiser.

I'd seen Isabelle Adjani previously in Ishtar (1987) and Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) but she really goes off the rails in this one. The leads are so amped up that it's like a soap opera on steroids.

I was reminded of pieces from MANY other films but it really seems like a unique mixture. The insanity of Altered States (1980), I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can (1982) and Requiem for a Dream (2000). The religious anguish of Bad Lieutenant (1992). The mystery in Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956, 1978) and Dead Ringers (1988). The pathos of Problem Child (1990) and Splendor in the Grass (1961).

OK that's enough movie references and connections.

Notebooks on Cinema's 100 Most Beautiful Films in the World (95/100 completed):

#23 The Mother and the Whore - It's ranked highly on the TSPDT list every year. 12/10/18

Rolling Stone's 100 Maverick Movies of the Last 100 Years (99/100 completed):

new #88 To Sleep with Anger - After 28 YEARS it's finally out on DVD. It has been said that patience is a virtue. 5/31/19

Hesitation (4 completed):

#7 Summer with Monika - I feel like I've seen thirty Bergman films but there are still other acclaimed ones I've missed. 5/11/19

new #9 The Fugitive - Something about a guy with one arm IIRC. 5/31/19

Zogo fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 1, 2019

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Hey a film on Zogo's list I've seen

Zogo posted:

new #9 The Fugitive - Something about a guy with one arm IIRC. 5/31/19

Misery

Misery has been on my list since Feb and was available on Netflix that whole time, but I just needed a little push to get to it. It turned out to be one of the best psychological thrillers I've ever seen.
Kathy Bates is phenomenal as the obsessive unhinged fan Annie Wilkes, who rescues the famous author Paul Sheldon (James Caan) and nurses him back to health. She's unpredictable and absolutely terrifying.
Most of the film takes place in Paul's bedroom, giving it a claustrophobic atmosphere.
Caan is also great in this, playing along with the relationship Annie thinks they have as he plots escape - the candle lit dinner was a particularly good moment.

I knew *that* scene was coming, but still... :gonk:

Thoroughly recommend this one.

My List:

7) (Horror) Candyman Heard good things about it

Watched (65): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon; Life is Beautiful; Minority Report; Rosemary's Baby; On the Waterfront; Solaris (1972); Driving Miss Daisy; Eraserhead; M (1931); This is Spinal Tap; Death Race 2000; The Producers (1967); Martin; Easy Rider; Office Space; Ghost in the Shell (1995); The Kid; Freaks (1932); The Abyss; Ben Hur (1959); Poltergeist (1982); Escape from New York; Once Upon a Time in America; Phantasm; Dracula (1958); Videodrome; Slumdog Millionaire; The Blob (1958); The Blob (1988); My Fair Lady; Avengers: Infinity War; Cinema Paradiso; 8 1/2; The Lord of the Rings (1978); Logan's Run; Willow; Misery

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

I couldn't pass this up, though there's lots of great stuff on your list to choose from. Enjoy!

The Best of Youth
A sprawling epic of a political family drama - not quite as authentic as Fassbinder's Eight Hours Don't Make A Day (which I watched recently), but understandably so as this spans nearly 40 years. All in all, it's a 'simple' story of a family and all of it's ties created over the decades - with beautiful cinematography and great storytelling. Because of the time jumps, there are moments that happen but don't get time to linger and stay with you, even with it's 6hr runtime. But there are plenty of others that do, and by the time you reach Act Two, you become immersed in this family and the directions they all take. Alessio Boni as Matteo, Jasmine Trinca as Georgia, Sonia Bergamasco as Giulia and Maya Sansa as Mirella were the standout performances - particularly Matteo who gets more of the scene-chewing moments. This is a miniseries that's well worth seeking out as I don't hear much discussion about it.

LIST

Amy [2015 - 128mins] - (2018.05.19) - don't know much about her or her music but have heard great things about this film. (documentary)

Une Chambre En Ville [1982 - 90mins] - (2018.10.14) - apparently the "darker cousin" to Umbrellas of Cherbourg? Sounds like fun. (blind-bought boxsets)

Cria Cuervos [1976 - 110mins] - (2018.09.09) - this has been ignored on my shelf for years... I need the motivation to see it. (Criterion)

An Education [2009 - 100mins] - (2018.07.16) - love Carey Mulligan & always heard great things but never make it a priority. (21st Century shame)

How Green Was My Valley [1941 - 118mins] - (2019.02.11) - all I ever hear is how great it is - maybe it's the boring title that kept me away? (Best Picture Winner)

Irma La Douce [1963 - 135mins] - (2018.05.17) - another 2+hr Lemmon/Wilder collaboration .. & Shirley MacLaine returns! (Lemmon/Matthau)

The Little Foxes [1941 - 115mins] - **OLDEST** (2018.04.21) - one of Davis' earlier roles. (Bette Davis)

What We Do In the Shadows [2014 - 86mins] - **NEW** (2019.06.10) - this is now also a TV series.. watching this mockumentary is long overdue. (unwatched DVD)

The Wind That Shakes the Barley [2006 - 124mins] - (2019.03.02) - the international Best Picture? I'm only 37% through Cannes biggest prize. (Palme d'Or winner)

Your Name [2016 - 106mins] - (2018.08.04) - noticed that I'm 86% done the IMDb Top 250 list... let's get this thing completed. (IMDb Top 250)

De-shamed Pt3: Ordinary People (4/5), Chicago (4.5/5), How the West Was Won (3.5/5), The Best of Youth (4/5), [Total:204]

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Watership Down

Something this movie put me in mind of was all the weird books we were given access to as kids, and how intense and hallucinatory they often were. When you're a kid, everything is really fresh, and you don't approach a story with a sense of how a story should or should not be told, or what it should or should not contain, because so many things are still the first thing for you (though, really, your whole life is the first thing, isn't it?). Kid's books are often kind of bad and outlandish, and sometimes oddly specific, and the credibility those true-feeling observations give keep the other half, the weirdo bits, afloat. But the primary impact is that they havea primary impact, and the fact that Watership Down can bring that feeling back is really impressive. It feels both strangely real and engrossingly fantastic, and uses that balance to narrow in on the kind of wire-tight suspense that most actual suspense movies can't manage. It's storytelling at its most primal - straightforward and utterly engaging.

A big part of this is the narrative drive of Adams's plotting and characters (I've never read the book, but the BBC radio version from a couple of years ago was almost as gripping). Starting from the ground up with the lore is a smart move, and it's almost used like a thesis for the rest of the story, beginning with the concept and then examining it in various situations. It's also very handy in establishing the weird, conflicting tone - both cute and ominous - which is also aided by the wonderfully expressive animation and sound design. There are a number of scenes of violence that are shocking more for how straightforward they are, but the terror really takes flight in moments of outright hallucination that I can't imagine could work onscreen in any other form. The animation also lifts the bucolic vibe, with landscapes painted in beautiful watercolors. When Watership Down arrives, it does feel like Eden.

The major stumbling point is the overly compacted narrative, which sometimes blurs events and makes it difficult to tell exactly the scope and sequence. The arrival of other animals feels awkward, as well, particularly Kehaar, Topol's comic relief seagull. They had the rabbits down pat in terms of anthropomorphization without blunt cartooniness, but Kehaar seems to be imported from a TV show. But the mood is never totally destroyed, and even the scenes with Kehaar are aided by the blissful soundtrack, which, stylistically, blends traditional English music with (suitably) Prokofiev, and the shortcomings don't come in the way of the spellbinding narrative. It's beautiful, evocative, and absorbing.

9/10

shamezone

1) L'Eclisse - discontent movie
2) Ivan's Childhood - war kids
3) God's Country - louis malle documentary
4) Othello - shakespeare movie (welles)
5) The Tree of Wooden Clogs - mike leigh's favorite
6) Ugetsu - tspdt 1000!!
7) Salesman - real movie
8) Veronika Voss - fassbinder continued
9) Alexander Nevsky - ice movie
10) The Hidden Fortress - meesa like kurosawa

[full list] Floating Weeds 9/10, Daisies 8/10, Stray Dog 8/10, Victim 6/10, Man Bites Dog 9/10, Night and Fog 10/10, Weekend 8/10, Jubilee 10/10, Sans Soleil 10/10, Candidate 8/10, Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 10/10, The Freshman 5/10, Garlic Is As Good As Ten Mothers 10/10, Branded to Kill 8/10, In Heaven There Is No Beer? 10/10, Blood Simple 10/10, The Marriage of Maria Braun 7/10, A Day In The Country 7/10, A Brief History of Time 10/10, Gates of Heaven 10/10, The Thin Blue Line 10/10, The Fog of War 10/10, My Beautiful Laundrette 10/10, Blind Chance 8/10, My Winnipeg 10/10, The River 7/10, Odd Man Out 8/10, The Passion of Anna 9/10, Brute Force 10/10, The Rite 5/10, The Piano Teacher 10/10, Ashes and Diamonds 7/10, Meantime 9/10, Carnival of Souls 8/10, La Notte 10/10, Frances Ha 10/10, L'avventura, Again 10/10, A Room With a View 9/10, Laura 8/10, Marjorie Prime 10/10, Ex Machina 8/10, Tampopo 10/10, Pickpocket 4/10, Harlan County USA 10/10, The Spirit of the Beehive 10/10, Heaven's Gate 4/10, A Short Film About Killing 9/10, The Pillow Book 6/10, Desert Hearts 9/10, Alice in the Cities 10/10, Yi Yi 10/10, Rififi 9/10, Children of Paradise 10/10, A Poem is a Naked Person 8/10, Late Autumn 8/10, Chimes at Midnight 10/10 Watership Down 9/10 (total: 158)

friendo55 gets How Green Was My Valley, which is actually pretty good (Kristin Thompson did a nice write-up on it)

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 11, 2019

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

6) Ugetsu - tspdt 1000!!

"I never dreamed such pleasures existed!"

The Fugitive - It has an opening premise similar to The Shawshank Redemption (1994) but quickly veers into something else. Frenetic, flashy and fast-moving begin to describe the insane pace that unfolds in this film. Many films have segments like this (the Bond and Bourne series as one example) but this one keeps going and going with high tension and misdirection. Blink and you'll miss something.

It was a little humorous how Dr. Richard Kimble (Harrison Ford) kept eluding police/agents all over downtown Chicago. Then seeing him do custodian and doctor work on the side. The other highlight was Tommy Lee Jones playing the crazed Marshal whose determination reminded me of Ben Johnson's character in Dillinger (1973).

It fits in nicely with films like Speed (1994) and Bringing Out the Dead (1999) and The Fury (1978).

If I wanted to really nitpick I could say that the drug conspiracy aspect was a little underdeveloped and some parts felt wrapped up 75% through the film but this is still a great one.

Also watched:

To Sleep with Anger - Steeped in superstition this is another film that explores the duality of good and evil. This was released nearly thirty years back so it takes its time unlike most newer films. I do miss seeing subtler films that slowly bring things to a boil. Even 1980s horror films did it a lot. It also features a lot of funny storytelling.

Most people are made slightly uneasy by Harry's (Danny Glover) musings and riddles. He almost takes on the embodiment of the Devil as he appears to soak up energy from those nearby. He's an interloper that casts a pall wherever he goes. In one sense he's the polar opposite of John Coffey in The Green Mile (1999).

Other family members go through strife...particularly brothers at odds who almost play out the role of Cain and Abel in an explosive duel.

Eventually Harry dies. But I kept waiting for a supernatural turn that never came. I thought Harry might wake up at one point and scream in his raspy voice, "I AM THE DEVIL! GIVE ME MY CORN LIQUOR!" or something like that but he lied there on the kitchen floor to the point of embarrassment. Ignominiously waiting for some government worker to pick him up for days while people gawked over him.

The Mother and the Whore - It meanders and features a LOT of idle chatter (without much profundity) throughout its 3.5 hour runtime as our leading man (Jean-Pierre Léaud) goes from one date to another with a variety of women. But for the most part these are not great dates or rendezvouses. They're tempestuous, dysfunctional, strained, confused and entangled relationships. Oscillating lovers, lecturing each other in dingy garret rooms.

There's a lot of titillation but a lot of it's washed away due to arguments over love and marriage and jealousy and envy. I was reminded of an earlier Jean-Pierre Léaud film Masculin Féminin (1966) at times particularly during some of the esoteric ramblings.

new The Living Daylights - Timothy Dalton film #1. The beginning of a new era. 6/15/19

Notebooks on Cinema's 100 Most Beautiful Films in the World (96/100 completed):

Hesitation (5 completed):

new #10 Child's Play 2 - Some say it's better than the original. 6/15/19

new #11 The Golden Thread AKA Subarnarekha - It's been called an underwatched classic. 6/15/19

Zogo fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 15, 2019

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

One of the best outings in the franchise imo:

Zogo posted:

new The Living Daylights - Timothy Dalton film #1. The beginning of a new era. 6/15/19

Bringing up Baby

I really like the way Hepburn and Grant bounce off each other in this. Hepburn's chaotic character Susan has an infectious energy that contrasts with the flustered Dr Huxley.
There's a lot of pratfalls, but the dialogue is also witty.

It's a fun screwball comedy with a leopard, what more needs to be said?

My List:

2) (comedy) The Seven Year Itch It has that iconic shot of Marilyn's dress being blown upwards

Watched (66): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon; Life is Beautiful; Minority Report; Rosemary's Baby; On the Waterfront; Solaris (1972); Driving Miss Daisy; Eraserhead; M (1931); This is Spinal Tap; Death Race 2000; The Producers (1967); Martin; Easy Rider; Office Space; Ghost in the Shell (1995); The Kid; Freaks (1932); The Abyss; Ben Hur (1959); Poltergeist (1982); Escape from New York; Once Upon a Time in America; Phantasm; Dracula (1958); Videodrome; Slumdog Millionaire; The Blob (1958); The Blob (1988); My Fair Lady; Avengers: Infinity War; Cinema Paradiso; 8 1/2; The Lord of the Rings (1978); Logan's Run; Willow; Misery; Bringing up Baby

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aguire is my choice for you. I like it, its nothing spectacular imho but its a experience.

I had Seven Samurai as my selection for this. I enjoyed it, not a tremendous amount but it was ccertainly very watchable and you can see where people took influences from it. The best thing was that even tho its like 4 hours long the movie flew by like nothing. Eventually i'll read up more about it as I feel like theres some great stories behind the production and creation.

Here's my new list:

1. Tokyo Story - I've heard its amazing and that's about it.

3. 8 1/2 - I know nothing about this movie, but I see it alot in lists and people talking about it.

4. Vertigo - I have no idea what this is about or anything about it except that is by Hitchcock and its on the TSPDT list.

10. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - I don't believe this movie is any good, I could be

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Why do you think close encounters is bad?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I heard some goons trash talk it once that’s about all I know

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Close Encounters is one of those movies where if it gets it's hooks in you, the climax is one of the absolute best finales ever filmed. If not, it doesn't land nearly as hard.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Ugetsu

I Liked This, but I was a victim to my own misguided expectations, which is sometimes an inevitable hazard when approaching big famous movies. For some reason I was expecting much more of a straightforward ghost story, but it's really a kind of sprawling, panoramic fable, so it took me a little while to bend myself to match what it was giving me. That's really not saying anything against the film, which, even though I struggled to re-evaluate it in the midst of watching it, is extremely well-crafted and almost dazzlingly spun. I have a huge soft spot for films that aren't ashamed of being fables (part of why I loved Legend so much was that I saw it right after binge-reading a bunch of Hans Christian Andersen, so I knew what to watch for), so I look forward to revisiting this and appreciating it for what it is from the beginning.

Anyways, there's lots and lots here that's just fantastic. Two peasant neighbors, one a skilled potter and the other a doofus, find their dreams of wealth and glory at odds with their wives' more down-to-earth concerns. When civil war sweeps through, they take advantage of the wartime upset to make good on their goals, and, naturally, are led through a barbed cautionary tale that teaches them the value of just, you know, finding value and joy in what you have in the first place. The ending is bracingly bittersweet and prompts a surprising rush of emotion that I hadn't been expecting - much like Late Autumn, you discover all at once that you are, in fact, deeply invested.

Huge shout-out to the eerie score, which almost sounded like a weirdo synth album, and also to the lovely Buddhist-y life lessons learned. It's almost like Candide in a weird way.

9/10

shamezone

1) L'Eclisse - discontent movie
2) Ivan's Childhood - war kids
3) God's Country - louis malle documentary
4) Othello - shakespeare movie (welles)
5) The Tree of Wooden Clogs - mike leigh's favorite
6) Ran - da doo ran ran
7) Salesman - real movie
9) Alexander Nevsky - ice movie
10) The Hidden Fortress - meesa like kurosawa

[full list] Floating Weeds 9/10, Daisies 8/10, Stray Dog 8/10, Victim 6/10, Man Bites Dog 9/10, Night and Fog 10/10, Weekend 8/10, Jubilee 10/10, Sans Soleil 10/10, Candidate 8/10, Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 10/10, The Freshman 5/10, Garlic Is As Good As Ten Mothers 10/10, Branded to Kill 8/10, In Heaven There Is No Beer? 10/10, Blood Simple 10/10, The Marriage of Maria Braun 7/10, A Day In The Country 7/10, A Brief History of Time 10/10, Gates of Heaven 10/10, The Thin Blue Line 10/10, The Fog of War 10/10, My Beautiful Laundrette 10/10, Blind Chance 8/10, My Winnipeg 10/10, The River 7/10, Odd Man Out 8/10, The Passion of Anna 9/10, Brute Force 10/10, The Rite 5/10, The Piano Teacher 10/10, Ashes and Diamonds 7/10, Meantime 9/10, Carnival of Souls 8/10, La Notte 10/10, Frances Ha 10/10, L'avventura, Again 10/10, A Room With a View 9/10, Laura 8/10, Marjorie Prime 10/10, Ex Machina 8/10, Tampopo 10/10, Pickpocket 4/10, Harlan County USA 10/10, The Spirit of the Beehive 10/10, Heaven's Gate 4/10, A Short Film About Killing 9/10, The Pillow Book 6/10, Desert Hearts 9/10, Alice in the Cities 10/10, Yi Yi 10/10, Rififi 9/10, Children of Paradise 10/10, A Poem is a Naked Person 8/10, Late Autumn 8/10, Chimes at Midnight 10/10 Watership Down 9/10, Ugetsu 9/10 (total: 159)

Empress Brosephine gets 8 1/2

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yeah Ugetsu is often sold as a horror movie a la Onibaba or Kuroneko but it’s not at all. It’s a story that has ghosts in it

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The ending is bracingly bittersweet and prompts a surprising rush of emotion that I hadn't been expecting - much like Late Autumn, you discover all at once that you are, in fact, deeply invested.

I've been going through his films lately, and while I haven't been all that impressed with Mizoguchi outside of Sansho and Ugetsu, I do have to admit that the dude knew how to build to an ending and constantly deliver them.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I almost feel bad for not having more to say about it, because it's quite good. I'll probably revisit it in a couple years and really move in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

RND gives MHB:

quote:

Aguire The Wrath of God

Conquistadors search for El Dorado.

There's a grim fatalism to the film set up from the start where we're informed that El Dorado is a lie and only one journal survives to tell the tale.
A couple weirdly out of place comical bits took me out of the film momentarily, such as the severed head that completes a countdown.
I liked the lead actor in this, he brings a real menacing edge to his performance with the slightest of facial expressions.

I was reminded of later war films, most especially Apocalypse Now, as the characters journey deeper into the unknown and further from their civilisation. There's also the absurd "Emperor" who rules a realm eight times larger than Spain while acknowledged only by the people on his little raft.
There were similarities to Platoon as well, with the ever-present threats lurking in the jungle just beyond sight.

The tone of peril and isolation is constant and the minimalist score compliments it.

My List:

2) (comedy) The Seven Year Itch It has that iconic shot of Marilyn's dress being blown upwards

5) (foreign language) The Lives of Others It's very highly regarded

Watched (67): Taxi Driver; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; The Iron Giant; Platoon; American History X; City Lights; My Neighbour Totoro; Rashomon; Duck Soup; Friday 13th (1980); Birdman; Frankenstein (1931); Time Bandits; Carrie (1976); King Kong (1933); Das Boot; The Blair Witch Project (1999); The Sting; Annie Hall; The Bridge on the River Kwai; The Cabinet of Dr Caligari; Godzilla (1954); Bicycle Thieves; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974); The English Patient; Scanners; Forbidden Planet; Deliverance; The Creature from the Black Lagoon; Life is Beautiful; Minority Report; Rosemary's Baby; On the Waterfront; Solaris (1972); Driving Miss Daisy; Eraserhead; M (1931); This is Spinal Tap; Death Race 2000; The Producers (1967); Martin; Easy Rider; Office Space; Ghost in the Shell (1995); The Kid; Freaks (1932); The Abyss; Ben Hur (1959); Poltergeist (1982); Escape from New York; Once Upon a Time in America; Phantasm; Dracula (1958); Videodrome; Slumdog Millionaire; The Blob (1958); The Blob (1988); My Fair Lady; Avengers: Infinity War; Cinema Paradiso; 8 1/2; The Lord of the Rings (1978); Logan's Run; Willow; Misery; Bringing up Baby; Aguirre, The Wrath of God