Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
First time in the thread!

My List of Shame

Ran
Not sure how I missed it. I've seen the obvious Kurosawa (Seven Samurai and Yojimbo) but not this one

Moonlight
By all accounts amazing and I love Mahershala Ali

Boyhood
I watched the Before trilogy last year and they were really really good

Persona
It was either this or Seventh Seal as my first Bergman

Tokyo Story
This pops up on every list of greatest movies I see and I want to watch more foreign films that aren't "genre"

In the Mood For Love
The Linoleum Knife dudes bring thing up all the time

Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce, 1080. Bruxelles
It sounds super interesting and unique

There Will Be Blood
You know those movies that you've heard are really good but just can't get excited about for some reason?

M
I remember a friend recommending this years ago and have intended to watch it since

Nashville
Another "pops up on a lot of lists" film, plus I've been developing an interest in country music

And for Magic Hate Ball I pick The Cabinet of Dr Caligari because it whips rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
bitterandtwisted you should watch Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid which I haven't watched in years but remember super fondly

I couldn't sleep after night shifts so I woke up at 4am and watched There Will Be Blood which was a heck of an experience. Brooding and ominous and pivoting around two super magnetic performances. It felt like watching a natural disaster unfold, in the best way possible. Definitely felt like I should've watched it before now.

My List is now

Ran
Moonlight
Boyhood
Persona
Tokyo Story
In the Mood For Love
Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
The Wages of Fear: I've seen Sorcerer (which I loved), but not the original
M
Nashville

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
It's been a good week for me to watch movies, and so I just finished In The Mood For Love.

What an incredibly gorgeous film, every frame filled with repressed longing and beautiful imagery. Both leads are beautiful and magnetic and charming and sad. I really loved everything about it. Any other movie and I feel like people would have written endless texts about the meanings of the delicate little curlicues of plot and happenstance (and y'know, I'm sure people have) but something about the tone and elegance of this seems to defy that. I'll definitely be watching this again sometime. I'm always worried that my attention span, which has mostly been fed on a diet of superhero movies and other such pablum, won't hold up to something that's a bit 'slower' or less immediately grabby and I've been very pleased to find that's not the case. On a vaguely related note I watched My Dinner With Andre this week and adored it.

In The Mood For Love: 10/10

So, my list now:

Ran
Moonlight
Boyhood
Persona
Tokyo Story
The Killing of a Sacred Deer: I've seen The Lobster and have intended to dig into more Yorgos Lanthimos. I'm also down to watch The Favourite or Dogtooth or Alps if those are better choices.
The Wages of Fear
M
Nashville

And Magic Hate Ball you can watch Shoplifters which I really want to see, and have a dvd of that's from the wrong region.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Spatulater bro! posted:

151. Spring in a Small Town (1948) - I just realized I've never seen a Chinese film from the 20th century! - 12/26/20

An entirely arbitrary selection for you.

It's been a hot minute since I participated in this thread, but I finally got around to watching Nashville. I'm so glad I did! I was kind of put off by the length, admittedly, but that was honestly the breeziest 2h40m of my life. It kept me engaged and entertained the whole time and I wanted more when it was over. What a great film! It goes from chaos to laser-focused in the blink of an eye and all these characters seem like absurd caricatures until the moment they become fully-fledged real-rear end people right in front of your eyes. Loved it to bits.

Ran
Moonlight
Boyhood
Persona
Tokyo Story
The Killing of a Sacred Deer
The Wages of Fear
M
La Dolce Vita - Just one of those movies I've always meant to see and never gotten around to, constantly pops up on lists of great movies and I haven't seen any Fellini