Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

:siren: PLEASE READ THE RE-RE-RE-UPDATED RULES :siren:

Part shamefest, part de-shamening, it's time for...

THE GREATEST MOVIES YOU'VE NEVER SEEN: "LISTEN TO YOUR DAD" EDITION

HOW THIS WORKS

1. You PICK ONE (1) FILM THE PREVIOUS POSTER'S LIST for him/her to watch. They must now watch that film.
2. You POST AT MOST TEN (10) FILMS YOU ARE ASHAMED OF NEVER SEEING. Please also WRITE A SHORT ANECDOTE about each film and why you haven't seen it.
3. The next poster PICKS ONE (1) FILM FROM YOUR LIST for you to watch. You must now watch that film.
4. You watch the film picked for you, then WRITE A SHORT REVIEW.
5. You SWAP OUT THE FILM YOU JUST WATCHED WITH A NEW FILM, then POST YOUR NEW LIST Again, you must limit your list to at most TEN (10) FILMS.
6. You PICK ONE (1) FILM FROM THE PREVIOUS POSTER'S LIST for him/her to watch. They must now watch that film.
7. The next poster PICKS ONE (1) FILM FROM YOUR NEW LIST to watch. You must now watch that film. THE CYCLE CONTINUES!

IMPORTANT

- REMEMBER TO PICK A FILM FOR THE PREVIOUS POSTER!
- If someone has already picked a film for the previous poster, pick a film for the next available poster.
- If a poster has been skipped for a pick, pick a film for your poster and the skipped poster. This keeps things moving!
- Only pick films from the poster’s list.
- You’re free to comment on other posters’ lists and even make recommendations; however, only the “picker” can make the poster watch the film.
- Please watch the film that’s been picked for you. If for some reason you can’t, please say and someone will pick another film for you.
- Keep the conversation healthy and good-spirited!

MY SHAMEFUL LIST

1. The Godfather
The whole trilogy, for that matter. This film falls under the "I already saw all the famous scenes parodied on the Simpsons so I haven't bothered to watch it" category. I'm also convinced that it won't be as good as everyone hypes it up to be, and I see no need in being disappointed. I was a loving film major and I avoided this film. Never even seen the beginning. I think I saw the very end on TV once.

2. Schindler's List
Something about this has always rubbed me the wrong way. The few clips I've seen have made the film seem manipulative as hell. Basically, I don't want the theater/my mom's basement to get all dusty with the feeling that I've been tricked. I've also never been a huge Spielberg fan (he does do his job well, though).

3. Goodfellas
Taxi Driver is one of my favorite films of all time, so why haven't I seen Scorsese's masterpiece from the 1990s? I think it's because I was so underwhelmed by Raging Bull, his masterpiece from the 1980s. After that disappointment I sort of stopped my Scorsese marathon. I don't know a lot about this movie, which is a good thing, but I still can't be bothered to follow up on my curiosity.

4. A Clockwork Orange
My dad is a huge Kubrick fan, so when he lent me his collection a few years ago, I finally got to seeing stuff like Dr. Strangelove and 2001. He didn't like A Clockwork Orange when he saw it in theaters and so he never bothered buying it. I know so much about this film already from popular culture (mostly The Simpsons) that I haven't felt the need to seek out a copy. Apparently it's still shocking today; I'm afraid I'll just be underwhelmed and/or disgusted.

5. 12 Angry Men
I think I saw this when I was 4. Nevertheless, I've yet to see it since I've developed basic analytical skills. I know the premise but I'm clueless about specific scenes or characters. It's been floating around my Netflix queue and my various "check this out" lists, but it's never piqued my curiosity. Someone convince me that this old movie is great!

6. Casablanca
I've read essays that break this film apart scene by scene, and I've seen countless parodies. Why should I even bother seeing it now? I don't feel like I would gain anything from watching this, other than the smug satisfaction that I saw yet another "important movie."

7. North by Northwest
I know about the corn maze scene, and that's about it. I like Hitchcock and I like Cary Grant. I even have the DVD at my house. I don't understand. What's stopping me? I really want to know why a plane would chase Cary Grant in a corn maze, dammit.

8. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
I haven't seen a lot of great westerns, but this is probably the biggest offender. I remember watching the great opening credits sequence, then realizing how long the movie was and shutting it off because I couldn't make the commitment. Having only seen classic westerns from the 50s and earlier and modern westerns from the 90s and later, I'm very interested to see how Leone plays with the genre. I've tried to have "western marathons" and this has always been high on the list, but they've never panned out.

9. Aguirre: The Wrath of God
I don't know why I never heard about this in film school. Come to think of it, Herzog has always been an enigma to me. I've only seen Fitzcarraldo and I've wanted to see his other films. I guess I just assume this one will be a boring but beautiful European "thinking" film and I haven't been in that mindset in a while.

10. The Incredibles
Friends always recommend this to me. I've seen bits and pieces from when I worked at a movie theater. I'm in my early twenties and I get the feeling that this film is best enjoyed by people either slightly younger or slightly older. Then again, it's also Pixar, so what am I waiting for?

HELPFUL LINKS
These will help you find acclaimed films you've yet to see.

IMDB Top 250
They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? 1,000 Greatest Films
"Movies You Should See" Megathread
CineD Yearly Consensus Depository
Current CineD Consensus Threads: Pre-30 | 30-49 | 50-69 | 70-89 | 90-09

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

The Machine posted:

I've recently watched Godfather Part II, 12 Angry Men, and Goodfellas for the very first time (actually, those are the last three movies I've gotten from Netflix!), and out of those I have to say I enjoyed Goodfellas the most. It's just a great loving movie and I absolutely love Ray Liotta now. So, thegloaming, go watch Goodfellas!

The blu-ray for Goodfellas is at the top of my Netflix queue. Once There Will Be Blood (a movie I have, thankfully, already seen) arrives and I rewatch it and ship it back, it'll be smooth sailing from there (hopefully). Kind of glad you didn't recommend Godfather, BTW. Thanks! :)

Also I changed the wording on one of the rules to make things more clear; once you've seen the recommended movie, you should do a brief writeup and also RECOMMEND A FILM TO A POSTER AWAITING A RECOMMENDATION. That way people have an incentive to come back after they've made their lists, and we'll have less opportunities for stalemates.

Also, anyone is free to recommend viewings, but only the "recommender" has the power to force the change.

You mentioned that Netflix craps out on longer movies; I used to have that problem too (it ended up being the router's fault). A quick browser refresh resumes the movie where it left off. Try it out!

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 1, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

TonTon,

Please recommend bad movie knight a film from his list, thanks!

e: thanks!

Also, I'm very satisfied with the turnout so far. CineD has been very good lately, I've noticed. Thanks for participating and making me feel less horrible about myself, guys.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 1, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

bad movie knight posted:

Phew! For a second there, I was afraid the next goon would be a big Fassbinder fan.

I've never seen anything from him, but I went ahead and added Berlin Alexanderplatz to my queue. Guess I won't be watching LOST afterall...

Also, I recently saw Lawrence of Arabia for the first time. It was the 70mm 40th anniversary remastered edition in a packed theater. I highly recommend anyone who hasn't seen it yet to keep a look out for a similar opportunity in their city (it seems like a popular choice for a lot of theaters). I can't imagine experiencing it for the first time in my living room.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Skeesix posted:

1) Rear Window - What can I say, I'm not that crazy about most black and white movies

Good news: it's in color!

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

So is North by Northwest:

Also, if you need help getting over your black-and-white phobia, check out this episode of Siskel and Ebert (and the second part).

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 1, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

bad movie knight posted:

You can be shamed athrice: You forgot to pick a movie for the previous poster.

Now you too can be shamed; he did!

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

I was going to say "I've seen everything listed in this thread :smug:" but then you hosed it up with Color Purple. MHB, you get to see Jules et Jim.

I've seen most of the "canon", so here are the top 10 most-voted-on movies from iMDB that I currently no have intention of seeing:

I was going to say "I dread whoever has to recommend FFD a film" because I thought you'd go with some really obscure ones that no one else has heard of, but then you hosed it up with some pretty commercial, popular favorites. Have I been wrong about you all these years days?!

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

I suppose it would defeat the purpose. Maybe you wanted to set others up for a challenge?

"Heh, check out the super obscure old European films I haven't seen. Maybe you can tell me which one I should see first? If you've even heard of them." :smug:

Not that you'd be so cruel.

And I don't know what I meant. You just seem like the guy who's seen a lot of movies, but I guess you filter out some of the popular dreck.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Curses! I leave the internet for a couple hours and utter chaos ensues. We're better than this, people!

I'll update the post to make things more clear.

Twin Cinema posted:

7. Rear Window: I am only avoiding this because of the Simpsons episode. I have seen that episode so many times, that I feel like the film would be similar. I know that's a stupid way of looking at things, but oh well.

Finally, someone else with the "saw it on the Simpsons" excuse. I wonder how many movies that show has ruined for me. Actually it's always fun to rewatch episodes once you've seen a handful of films; chances are you'll catch a reference you never noticed before.

e: okay, the OP has new bold/underlined text at the beginning. I don't want this to turn out like that other thread... *shudders*

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 2, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

How is this going to work? After I view my film, hopefully tomorrow, I'll post a review and then recommend to the last person, what does the next person do? Everyone should then, theoretically, have a film recommended to them.

God my post is horribly and hastily worded. Calm down everyone! I'm assessing the situation and I'll get back to you in a sec.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

All right, here's a full history of the thread. Hopefully I won't have to do this again with the updated rules:

:argh: Did not pick a film
:siren: Was not given a film

thegloaming posted a list and didn’t pick for anyone.
The Machine posted a list and picked Goodfellas for thegloaming.
bad movie knight posted a list and picked Se7en for The Machine.
TonTon posted a list and picked Strangers on a Train for bad movie knight.
Skeesix posted a list and picked Wall-E for TonTon.
Sporadic posted a list and picked Rear Window for Skeesix.
Magic Hate Ball posted a list and picked The Seventh Seal for Sporadic.
FitForDanga posted a list and picked Jules et Jim for Magic Hate Ball.
Twin Cinema posted a list and hosed up picked Shrek for FitFortDanga.
ProfessorClumsy posted a list and picked Citizen Kane for Twin Cinema.
iastudent posted a list and picked Casblanca for ProfessorClumsy.
Honest Thief posted a list and picked Pan’s Labyrinth for iastudent.
the Bunt posted a list and picked E.T. for HonestThief.
Peaceful Anarchy posted a list and picked Lawrence of Arabia for the Bunt.
TheBigBudgetSequel posted a list and picked Last Tango in Paris for Peaceful Anarchy.
Bedevere posted a list and picked Night of the Hunter for TheBigBudgetSequel.
OneThousandMonkeys posted a list and picked a film for Bedevere.
InfiniteZero posted a list and picked Chinatown for OneThousandMonkeys.
:argh: HINDU THE BEAST GOD posted a list, but did not pick a film for a poster.
VorpalBunny posted a list and picked Rules of the Game for InfiniteZero.
Yoshifan823 posted a list and picked Singin’ In the Rain for VorpalBunny.
Kieselguhr Kid posted a list and picked Crimes and Misdemeanors for Yoshifan823.
Jeff Wiiver posted a list and picked Chinatown for Kieselguhr Kid.
Wilhelm Scream posted a list and picked Se7en for Jeff Wiiver.
sursumdeorsum posted a list and picked Tokyo Story for Wilhelm Scream.
Knoddus posted a list and picked Godfather for sursumdeorsum.
Jay Dub posted a list and picked Chungking Express for Knoddus.
Zogo posted a list and picked Blue Velvet for Jay Dub.
SneakySneaks posted a list and picked 12 Angry Men for Zogo.

Kieselguhr Kid, I’ll allow the Annie Hall for Crimes and Misdemeanors swap, but in the future, let's all try to keep picks to the poster's list.

OP's been updated. Sorry for :hitler:ing out here, folks!

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 2, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Jay Dub posted:

FYI, I didn't pick Chungking Express for myself, but I'll gladly watch it again anyway.

My sperging has failed me.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

How is this going to work? After I view my film, hopefully tomorrow, I'll post a review and then recommend to the last person, what does the next person do? Everyone should then, theoretically, have a film recommended to them.

The next poster picks another film for you from your list.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 2, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

This will all become straightened out with some more field testing. :)

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

To be fair, this seems like a pretty awesome thread and I'm looking forward to working through my never-seens.

I do too and I'm honestly amazed by the turnout. I don't expect everyone to come back for a review/more picks, but if we can keep a healthy group going, we're gonna see so much de-shamening!

Also this is the "Listen To Your Dad" edition.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Fixed and PM'd.

Okay, everything should be in order then. HINDU THE BEAST GOD didn't post a pick, but since the next poster picked for the poster he was supposed to pick for, it all works out.

I think we can all understand the basic gist of what happens here. You pick for the previous poster, the next poster picks for you, and you get to pick when you either first post your list or when you finish watching a film.

Some snafus are bound to pop up but we'll handle them when they come. The main goal is to keep things moving, so if someone is missing a pick, give them one so that they don't have to wait.

Also when there's a dispute, just sort it out and move on. :)

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

bmk pm'd me a good suggestion that I'm going to implement:

bad movie knight posted:

Let's say I watch Strangers on a Train (watching it RIGHT NOW, actually). I post a write-up, recommend something to the previous poster and quote my original post, with whatever I just watched switched out for something else. I get a new assignment, the previous poster gets a recommendation and everyone's happy.

This way we keep our lists fresh and the next poster can choose to go for either one of the poster's original films or one that was added for a finished one.

also bmk you need to empty your inbox. :)

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

bad movie knight posted:

Man, I did this when FFD mentioned it earlier in the thread. I wonder if my PMs are broken.

Dunno. Glad you came to me with that suggestion. We'll see how everything turns out once the first person (probably you) reports back...

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

:golfclap:

The system works!

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

bad movie knight posted:

You couldn't be more incorrect. Really man.

To be fair, I think it lost some of the charm of Infernal Affairs with its star-studded cast. Not necessarily saying the original is better; I didn't really care for either of them.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Watched Jules et Jim tonight. I have to say I liked it but I didn't love it. Truffaut just doesn't get me like Godard does. Godard set out to revolutionize film, but it feels like Truffaut set out to idolize film. Jules et Jim is a mostly corny melodrama that meanders across a decade and change, never really boiling. It's shapeless in a way I'm not fond of. However, it makes up for many of its faults by being poetic and having a nice tone, following the years with a sort of "time keeps on slipping" manner, and occasionally the tone and poetic nature blend with the characters and plot and create some really unbelievably splendid moments, but usually I was just kind of tagging along with the film while it did its own thing. I might write more on this later if I ruminate on it. I will say that I loved the climax.

I had the same reaction when I saw it. Glad someone else feels the same way. Are we just missing something, or is it really just a fun little thing that's been lauded to hell and back?

I want to give it another chance, honest.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Citizen Kane
Unfortunately, this movie was working at a disadvantage from the beginning -- being universally hailed as the "greatest movie ever," is a lofty expectation to live up to. With that said, Citizen Kane, is a solid film. Hell, it deserves a better adjective. Citizen Kane is as perfect as a film can get. The ending, even though I already knew the solution to the mystery, was still haunting to me. Also, I was remarking on some of the shots Welles used, before finding out midway through the film (with the help of Wikipedia) that he used a "deep focus." There was a really neat shot where two of the characters were talking, and you could clearly see Welles in the mirror.

Writing about this film seems silly to me, because there has been enough praise lavished on this film already. This is a great film, and anyone in this thread who has yet to watch it is missing out. But, the best thing this movie was this snippet from Wikipedia.

Whether this is true or not, it's funny.

Great! Since you might have missed the update, could you replace a film on your list and then pick a film for InfiniteZero from his new list? thanks brah

Sent TWBB back today; Goodfellas is on its way.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 4, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Hockles posted:

Alien (series) - I'm not a big fan of space-based sci-fi movies that aren't Star Wars.

The original is nothing like Star Wars; it's really more of a horror film.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

OergonDonor picks for Peaceful Anarchy

Robert_Deadford picks for Twin Cinema

Or if you want to make things easier:

OregonDonor picks for Twin Cinema

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

uncle jimbo posted:

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Not a big Jack Nicholson fan, I dunno

Young Jack is a lot better than old Jack. I recommend you also check out The Last Detail and Five Easy Pieces if you like him in this, if someone picks it for you!

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Jeff Wiiver posted:

He doesn't have to be alive for his legacy to carry on. Just think if what he did actually happened in real life: he killed 5 people in increasingly disturbing ways, handed himself over to the police covered in blood. Then, when the police and public think his reign of terror is over, a package arrives with a detective's wife's head in it. He'd be the most well-known serial killer for decades to come.

Not to mention that the detective kills him in a fit of passion, breaking all protocol. It's like Janet Jackson's boobs at the super bowl times one thousand!

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Noxville, go watch Das Boot, but make sure you're in the mood beforehand. So much depends on your visceral reaction, so turn off the lights and get serious, stat!

Just finished Goodfellas. I'm so glad I went in cold; I'm amazed I didn't recognize more scenes from pop culture. What a ride. At first it felt a bit like an Allen film, along the lines of Radio Days or Manhattan. That was when the fun was still in full swing; I felt Henry's joy for the gangster life in every single frame. Then, when things got sour, I came to the same realizations he did. I gotta hand it to Scorsese and Liotta for pulling off such a relatable character arc. And the whole cast for bringing that world, in all its wonder, joy, excess and greed to life.

It was a refreshing take on the genre, and it still paid respect to the classics (one/two of which I still need to see).

thegloaming posted:

MY SHAMEFUL LIST

1. The Godfather
The whole trilogy, for that matter. This film falls under the "I already saw all the famous scenes parodied on the Simpsons so I haven't bothered to watch it" category. I'm also convinced that it won't be as good as everyone hypes it up to be, and I see no need in being disappointed. I was a loving film major and I avoided this film. Never even seen the beginning. I think I saw the very end on TV once.

2. Schindler's List
Something about this has always rubbed me the wrong way. The few clips I've seen have made the film seem manipulative as hell. Basically, I don't want the theater/my mom's basement to get all dusty with the feeling that I've been tricked. I've also never been a huge Spielberg fan (he does do his job well, though).

3. Goodfellas
3. Breathless
I thought I was more of Godard-person than a Truffaut-person until I saw The 400 Blows. Everyone gushes over this one, so I guess Jean-Luc has another chance to win me over. Unfortunately, I'm pretty fickle with French New Wave films because none of them have really blown me away. Could this be different?

4. A Clockwork Orange
My dad is a huge Kubrick fan, so when he lent me his collection a few years ago, I finally got to seeing stuff like Dr. Strangelove and 2001. He didn't like A Clockwork Orange when he saw it in theaters and so he never bothered buying it. I know so much about this film already from popular culture (mostly The Simpsons) that I haven't felt the need to seek out a copy. Apparently it's still shocking today; I'm afraid I'll just be underwhelmed and/or disgusted.

5. 12 Angry Men
I think I saw this when I was 4. Nevertheless, I've yet to see it since I've developed basic analytical skills. I know the premise but I'm clueless about specific scenes or characters. It's been floating around my Netflix queue and my various "check this out" lists, but it's never piqued my curiosity. Someone convince me that this old movie is great!

6. Casablanca
I've read essays that break this film apart scene by scene, and I've seen countless parodies. Why should I even bother seeing it now? I don't feel like I would gain anything from watching this, other than the smug satisfaction that I saw yet another "important movie."

7. North by Northwest
I know about the corn maze scene, and that's about it. I like Hitchcock and I like Cary Grant. I even have the DVD at my house. I don't understand. What's stopping me? I really want to know why a plane would chase Cary Grant in a corn maze, dammit.

I haven't seen a lot of great westerns, but this is probably the biggest offender. I remember watching the great opening credits sequence, then realizing how long the movie was and shutting it off because I couldn't make the commitment. Having only seen classic westerns from the 50s and earlier and modern westerns from the 90s and later, I'm very interested to see how Leone plays with the genre. I've tried to have "western marathons" and this has always been high on the list, but they've never panned out.

I don't know why I never heard about this in film school. Come to think of it, Herzog has always been an enigma to me. I've only seen Fitzcarraldo and I've wanted to see his other films. I guess I just assume this one will be a boring but beautiful European "thinking" film and I haven't been in that mindset in a while.

10. The Incredibles
Friends always recommend this to me. I've seen bits and pieces from when I worked at a movie theater. I'm in my early twenties and I get the feeling that this film is best enjoyed by people either slightly younger or slightly older. Then again, it's also Pixar, so what am I waiting for?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

The Gloaming, I'm torn, you have so many good ones. It's a toss up between Aguirre and The Godfather, but I choose The Godfather for you. Also, watch Part II if you can also, it's the better movie imo

Kinda wish you went with Aguirre, but at least now I'll finally get rid of this huge burden of shame. Not sure yet if I want to see both consecutively; I guess I'll see how I feel with Part 1.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

I'll never see Aguirre at this rate! :argh:

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Actually, you could watch Aguirre right now and we all win. You watch a great movie and since it won't be on your next list we all get to see LesterGroans eat a hat.

Yes, I should punish him for making me watch THE GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Small typo.

Actually I've already seen The 400 Blows :smug:

And it's times like this I wish I had more Netflix slots

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

bad movie knight posted:

Funny: Netflix wishes you had more slots too. Time for an upgrade?

Time for a job. :ohdear:

I'm on the household's plan right now and I get a slot for free.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 8, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

I don't think I want to buy a Mailick movie on DVD, and over the last couple years I've finally kicked that "buying movies left and right" addiction - I rarely/never buy a movie blind anymore.

And even if I wasn't on a "no blind buy" mission, my Blu-Ray player is back home in Los Angeles with my fiance and my dog while I am working on a project in vegas. I'm not spending my time limited time back home watching The New World.

There will be a proper time, just not now.

The Blu-Ray on Netflix includes both versions, FYI.

If you can't see it, have someone pick something else for you.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

penismightier, watch La Dolce Vita. I haven't seen it myself, but I had exactly the same experience as you: loved 8 1/2, didn't really like La Strada, don't know where I stand on Fellini. Now you can find out for me!

Finally watched The Godfather. The cinematography was beautiful and I appreciate that it kept a consistent tone, but it got a little boring near the end. Great performances, and I enjoyed the "epic" feel, but I liked Goodfellas way more when it comes to gangster films. Still, I can see why it's considered THE GREATEST FILM OF ALL TIME and I was not disappointed.

MY SHAMEFUL LIST

1. The Godfather
The Godfather, Part II
This seems like the logical choice. I'm curious to see if what many people call "the better film" is, in fact, better. I'm not in any rush to see it though.

2. Schindler's List

3. Goodfellas
3. Breathless
I thought I was more of Godard-person than a Truffaut-person until I saw The 400 Blows. Everyone gushes over this one, so I guess Jean-Luc has another chance to win me over. Unfortunately, I'm pretty fickle with French New Wave films because none of them have really blown me away. Could this be different?

4. A Clockwork Orange

5. 12 Angry Men

6. Casablanca

7. North by Northwest

10. The Incredibles

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

penismightier posted:

Oh god why did I list a movie that's 174 minutes long? I have the attention span of a gnat. I max out at like 75 minutes.

I split Godfather into two; a friend told me the best place to pause when Michael is in Italy, and I ate dinner and went for a walk.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Does this mean LesterGroans has to eat his own hat?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Does this also mean I'm never going to see Aguirre? :(

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Sure you will, but first you have to watch the better movies on your list. Not seeing TGTBTU or Casablanca or 12 Angry Men is a million times more shameful than not watching Aguirre. Aguirre is still great though and I wouldn't classify it as "boring but beautiful European "thinking" film" at all. Would you classify Fitzcarraldo as that?

No, I wouldn't. I do think Fitzcarraldo was "boring" in places, though. And upon closer inspection, I wouldn't call Aguirre that either, but something about it has always given me that vibe, maybe because I found out about it when I was watching a lot of said "boring but beautiful European 'thinking' films" (like L'avventura) so I just associated it that way. My bad!

Also I was thinking of seeing Fanny and Alexander on Instant Watch, but it's the theatrical. Should I subject myself to the 5 hour TV version instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Why did I have to wear my Spanish conquistador helmet :(

At least you didn't wear your German Pickelhaube.