Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

FitFortDanga posted:

I was going to say "I've seen everything listed in this thread :smug:" but then you hosed it up with Color Purple. MHB, you get to see Jules et Jim.

I've seen most of the "canon", so here are the top 10 most-voted-on movies from iMDB that I currently no have intention of seeing:

1. 300 - I just can't imagine I would like anything about this.

2. The Prestige - I guess I feel like I know it already? Seems to have been spoiled many times on this forum.

3. Transformers - Uh, see #1

4. The Green Mile - This might be good. I think Shawshank is overrated, and I'm not a huge King fan or a huge Tom Hanks fan, but I'm willing to give it a go.

5. Snatch - Never seen a Guy Ritchie film. He seems annoying.

6. Shrek - Ehhhh, this doesn't look funny at all.

7. I Am Legend - Seems like something I wouldn't mind.

8. The Bourne Ultimatum - I liked the first one well enough. Is this the 2nd or the 3rd? If it's the 3rd I'd rather watch the 2nd first.

9. Cloverfield - I saw that South Park episode.

10. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - As a Criterion title, I might have gotten around to this eventually (although I'm still avoiding King of Kings and all those Paul Robeson movies) but nothing about this one leaps out at me as a must-see.

edit: The number of you who haven't seen Casablanca is heart-breaking. Listen to your dads.

Shawshank is mad overrated and I personally love Green Mile a lot more. Moreover, most of these aren't considered great at all, unless you equate great with popular.

I haven't seen a LOT.

1. Lawrence of Arabia- I'm not a huge fan of historical epics in general but I just know this movie would be up my alley based on the cinematography alone.

2. Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, or really, most Kurosawa- The Kurosawa films I've seen are Ikiru (loved it), Dreams (loved parts of it, was bored by others), Bad Sleep Well (was okay, but plodding and heavy-handed), and Rashomon (not sure where all the hype for this one comes from at all honestly. Toshiru Mifune was awesome but everything else about it was pretty average. What's the film that might sway me?

3. Schindler's List- Eh, I dunno. I'm vaguely interested in it.

4. City of God- I feel like I'd love this, I just always forget to watch it. It's somewhere in the depths of my netflix queue.

5. Godfather Part 2- I've seen Part 1 and loving Part 3 but still not what's basically considered the peak of the trilogy.

6. Mean Streets- I've seen lots and lots of Scorsese. I've seen Boxcar Bertha and Alice Doesn't Live Here twice and still never Mean Streets. Once, I watched the first 25 minutes and for some reason shut it off. I'm sure it's good.

7. Any Indiana Jones after the first one- Not particularly interested but if I ever have a kid or something I'll gladly see them.

8. Rear Window- This has been parodied and copied so many times I feel like I've already seen it. Actually, I haven't seen most Hitchcock, come to think of it. Vertigo was underwhelming, Psycho was incredible, Birds was stupid (but I was a kid), and that's about all I can remember seeing.

9. The Man With No Name Trilogy. Absolutely no excuse for this. Once Upon a Time in the West is the best Western I've ever seen, I love Leone in general and all three of the films are pretty widely acclaimed.

10. Annie Hall- I've seen Manhattan, and figured it's the same thing. Am I wrong? Also, Take the Money and Run is one of the most hysterical movies I've ever seen and nobody ever mentions it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Oops! DEFINITELY see Koyaanisqatsi right away.

edit: well damnit. HonestThief, watch ET. I'm going to keep my recommendation for iastudent though.

the Bunt fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 1, 2010

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Speaking of Cinema Paradiso, I was really really disappointed with it when I finally sat down and watched it. It was just a cute movie that I mostly forgot within weeks, like hundreds of other movies. It wasn't bad in any sense, but I fail to see what's special about it at all.