Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
XenJ, watch The Grand Budapest Hotel! :) It's definitely typical of Wes Anderson, but I enjoyed it immensely and it's gorgeous to look at.

I'm jumping into this to motivate myself to squeeze watching new movies into my schedule around schoolwork and the internet and poo poo. Looking forward to taking part with you guys!

My list:

A Nightmare on Elm Street - I was always scared of even watching most horror movies as a kid, but my girlfriend is super into them so I've been watching lots of new ones while also catching up on all the classics I wish I'd seen when I was younger.

Shane - I love Westerns, and I've heard this is a particularly interesting one. Also, penismightier's old avatar with the low-down Yankee liar quote always made me want to watch it.

Upstream Color - I saw Primer a long time ago and enjoyed it a lot, so I naturally want to watch this. I even got it a while ago but just haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

The King of Comedy - Like lots of people, I adore Scorsese, but I still haven't watched quite all of his films. This would fill in one more of those gaps!

Rashomon - I haven't seen any Kurosawa, so I basically picked one at random from his filmography list. If someone picks this for me, you could also substitute a different Kurosawa if you want.

I'm gonna leave it at 5 for now. Hit me!

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Quickscope420dad posted:

Upstream Color, without question. Shane Carruth is far and a way the most promising new director out there. If you loved Primer, you're gunna wanna watch this two or three times in a row, not only to get your head round everything that's going on in it, but also to just enjoy the cinematography and score.

Heck yeah, I'm on it tomorrow!

I accidentally watched Nightmare on Elm Street without it being assigned today. Whoops! I'll swap it out for something else when I repost my list after watching Upstream Color.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Will do :)

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Quickscope420dad, you get to watch Metropolis! I need to watch that sometime too, so I'll have to keep it in mind for my list. Not right now though!

So! I watched A Nightmare on Elm Street in addition to Upstream Color.

Nightmare was cool. The acting was kinda iffy a lot of the time, but mostly just in that dated 80s way that didn't detract too terribly much. The practical effects were neat; Johnny Depp's death was so over-the-top but it worked because of the dreamworld setting. I'm glad that the cheap-rear end "if you don't believe in it then it has no power" ending turned out to be a fake-out. The Kruegermobile was delightful. I can't really imagine where the sequels go from there, but I'm sure they managed to contrive something or other. Probably not gonna bother unless someone recommends I do.

Upstream Color was loving hypnotizing in the best way. It was so much better-looking than I remember Primer being, which I suppose isn't hard since Primer was made with an even more ridiculously small budget than UC. I do indeed want to watch it again at some point, but I didn't feel like it was completely impenetrable, just really poetic. I loved that there was literally no exposition and the story was almost entirely visual. Oh man and holy poo poo how good is Amy Seimetz in this movie??? God drat. Shane Carruth is good too, but she is a revelation. The score was really lovely too. Anyway, loved the movie and it's definitely one of the better movies I've seen lately.

My updated list:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (either one, I guess) - another classic that I haven't gotten around to. I think this'll be my horror slot (if this is horror? It seems like it would be.)

Shane - I love Westerns, and I've heard this is a particularly interesting one. Also, penismightier's old avatar with the low-down Yankee liar quote always made me want to watch it.

Grease - According to my girlfriend I'm basically uncultured swine for not having seen this yet.

The King of Comedy - Like lots of people, I adore Scorsese, but I still haven't watched quite all of his films. This would fill in one more of those gaps!

Rashomon - I haven't seen any Kurosawa, so I basically picked one at random from his filmography list. If someone picks this for me, you could also substitute a different Kurosawa if you want.

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 19, 2014

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

UltimoDragonQuest, watch Nosferatu.

The King of Comedy was great. Thematically it reminded me of Taxi Driver in that a guy (played by Robert De Niro, though that's irrelevant apart from high acting quality) goes so far down a rabbit hole of delusion that he ends up committing crimes that then make him not just infamous, but a celebrity. The performances were all great, especially De Niro's - Pupkin is simultaneously cringe-inducingly pitiful. Glad I finally watched it!

My updated list (also expanded beyond 5 movies!):

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (either one, I guess) - a classic that I haven't gotten around to, even though I've referenced the pointing at someone and screaming scene at least once in my life. I think this'll be my horror slot (if Body Snatchers counts as horror? It seems like it would.)

Shane - I love Westerns, and I've heard this is a particularly interesting one. Also, penismightier's old avatar with the "low-down Yankee liar" quote always made me want to watch it.

Grease - According to my girlfriend I'm basically uncultured swine for not having seen this yet.

Bringing Out the Dead - another missing Scorsese, and the premise sounds cool.

Punch Drunk Love - gonna make this my PTA slot for the last three of his films I haven't seen yet.

The Maltese Falcon - missing classic, not much of an anecdote here.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Zogo posted:

Rashomon is worth seeing but I'll pick Ikiru AKA "To Live" for you since you're open to substitution.

Sweet, I'll get on it!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I wish I'd managed to watch Ikiru by now so that I could make you watch Boogie Nights. It's loving great.

(e for new page: directed at X-Ray Pecs)

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Jurgan, if you loved Bourne Identity then you should definitely go for The Bourne Supremacy. It's also great, and you're one film closer to Ultimatum, which is easily the best of the trilogy.

Ikiru was spectacular. I liked the deliberate pace, which worked well for the self-examination that was the center of the story. Takashi Shimura's performance was amazing, especially the singing scene.
Also, the ending (specifically, the worker standing up and then chickening out and sitting back down behind his huge piles of busywork - GREAT shot, by the way) was brutal.

I also watched Grease! It was definitely fun, although I am really really iffy on the gender politics. Danny basically had to do nothing and Sandy completely changes herself in order to be with him, which isn't a great message. Still, the songs are good, the greasers' ridiculousness is super entertaining, and it's quite well-shot.

Updated list!

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (either one, I guess) - a classic that I haven't gotten around to, even though I've referenced the pointing at someone and screaming scene at least once in my life. I think this'll be my horror slot (if Body Snatchers counts as horror? It seems like it would.)

Shane - I love Westerns and I've heard this is a classic. Also, penismightier's old avatar with the "low-down Yankee liar" quote always made me want to watch it.

La Strada (NEW!) - I don't know Italian cinema all that well, and since my girlfriend is Italian I should probably give it a go.

Barton Fink (NEW!) - The Coen Brothers are way up there on my list of favorite directors, so I'm gonna start going for the ones of theirs I haven't seen yet. Also, John Goodman's presence will basically sell me on most movies.

Punch Drunk Love - gonna make this my PTA slot for the last three of his films I haven't seen yet.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

Mahlertov Cocktail, you need more Coens so Barton Fink it is.

Everyone always needs more Coens. I'm on it!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Quickscope420dad posted:

I dunno, Danny has to be honest and more forthcoming around everyone he knows that he is a sensitive guy and not the hard-rear end his reputation expects, and Sandy has to lose her inhibitions. They both have to learn to be more "themselves" regardless of what other people think, which is a pretty common theme in all romance. Here lies one of (if not the) gayest thing i've ever said. RIP.

Ah, that's true. That was just my first impression of it.

but I need a movie to watch next :smith:

Oh, do I also give you one? I thought that whoever finishes a movie assigns one to the previous poster, hence my giving Jurgan Bourne Supremacy. You can do Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, which may indeed be a little corny but is also great. :)

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Okay that's what I thought. Monster on a stick, you should still watch Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, but I guess it's not officially your assignment ;)

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

monster on a stick, go ahead and watch A Fistful of Dollars.

Barton Fink was really interesting. It still hit the Coen tendency to follow people who get themselves too deep into a situation they don't fully understand, although in this case it's not about criminals. John Turturro's and John Goodman's central performances were both great - Turturro's neurotic writer contrasts nicely with Goodman's jocular everyman/murderer/literally the devil?. In conclusion, I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND! I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND! I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!

Updated list!

Shane - I love Westerns and I've heard this is a classic. Also, penismightier's old avatar with the "low-down Yankee liar" quote always made me want to watch it.

La Strada - I don't know Italian cinema all that well, and since my girlfriend is Italian I should probably give it a go.

Miller's Crossing (NEW!) - another early Coen Brothers film that I haven't seen.

Already watched:
A Nightmare on Elm Street, Upstream Color, The King of Comedy, Ikiru, Grease, Barton Fink.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The ending of Barton Fink might be my favorite thing the Coens have done.

It was simultaneously such a crazy surprise and a totally sensible ending. I love it too.

morestuff posted:

Both are honestly worth a watch. Some people swear by the Ferrara version too, though I haven't seen it.

In that case, I'll just watch both if someone assigns it to me.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

RollingBoBo posted:

I watched so many great movies thanks to this thread, I think it's time for me to get in on the action! I just watched La Strada and enjoyed it so you get to watch it too.

Heck yeah, thanks man. Gonna get my Italian on.

e: monster on a stick, glad you enjoyed the Leone films so much! Their ending sequences are all masterclasses in raising tension.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Quickscope420dad posted:

which one? There are a bunch. I think there are two disney ones, one being a remake of the old classic (the remake stinks), and then there's the neverending story-like one which has nothing to do with the disney one at all

Nah it's not a remake, IIRC it was supposed to be a running series where different classical pieces got put to animation but there are only the two films. I love both :shobon:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I still need to watch La Strada but anyone who has The Godfather on his/her list should just fuckin go watch it. I 100% guarantee you won't regret the time spent and that it's better than cultural osmosis could ever indicate.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Do iiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

e: I swear I'll watch La Strada tomorrow so that I can post actual thread content.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Slaapaav posted:

Im pretty sure I watched the godfather from start to finish twice in one day once.

This sounds like a pretty drat good way to spend a day.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Noxville posted:

Watching Godfather and then Godfather part II might be better though.

True. I still haven't watched all of part III, but based on what I saw, that would only make the day end in disappointment.

monster on a stick, watch The Lion in Winter. It's awesome.

As promised, I finally got around to La Strada today, and what a great movie that is.

I liked the little things that reinforced the characters. For example, when Zampanò throws the cigarette butt in the wine when he's getting kicked out of the bar just because, or when he gets the ice cream and eats it in two bites. We know from his plot-related actions that he's spiteful and crude, but these two little behaviors remind us of each trait respectively.

Also, obviously it was incredibly sad in the end. Watching an abusive relationship start off badly and just get worse throughout the film isn't a recipe for a happy ending, and the ending was pretty crushing.

Great introduction to Fellini. Is it pretty representative of his style and level of quality? If so, I'm very into it.

I also watched two of my three still-unseen PTA films!

Punch-Drunk Love was fantastic. I was truly shocked at how good Adam Sandler is in it, which makes his current output of offensive diarrhea all the more irritating. I think my favorite part was the loving weird declarations of affection.

Magnolia (wasn't on my list, but it would've replaced Punch-Drunk Love had I waited to update my list) was also great. PTA's movies definitely have a clockwork feeling, where there's a level of artifice you have to accept to get into them. I think that's why I had some trouble with There Will Be Blood when I first saw it, but I haven't had any trouble getting invested in them since then. Apart from the great characters (all of them are; Jim is probably my favorite because John C. Reilly), I love the slow tension buildup. Everyone feels like they're going to fall apart at any second by the time the climax arrives. That the climax is signaled by frogs raining from the sky is a special kind of delightful. It would be utterly "what the gently caress?" if not for the sequence of San Fernando Valley urban legends at the start. It pretty much sets it up so that everything is fair game.

Updated list, now expanded to a whopping 10 choices!

1. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (either one, I guess earlier in the thread I said I'd watch both if someone picked it, so this is a twofer!) - a classic that I haven't gotten around to, even though I've referenced the pointing at someone and screaming scene at least once in my life. I think this'll be my horror slot (if Body Snatchers counts as horror? It seems like it would.)

2. Shane - I love Westerns and I've heard this is a classic. Also, penismightier's old avatar with the "low-down Yankee liar" quote always made me want to watch it.

3. La Grande Bellezza (NEW!) - more Italian cinema, this one obviously more recent. I meant to see it when it was out in Germany last year but never managed to.

4. Bringing Out the Dead - another missing Scorsese, and the premise sounds cool.

5. Miller's Crossing - another early Coen Brothers film that I haven't seen.

6. Hard Eight (NEW!) - last PTA that I haven't seen!!!

7. The Maltese Falcon - missing classic, not much of an anecdote here.

8. Akira (NEW!) - heard good things, was always interested but just haven't seen it yet.

9. The Night of the Hunter (NEW!) - missing classic again.

10. Stalker (NEW!) - never seen a Tarkovsky film.

Already watched:
A Nightmare on Elm Street, Upstream Color, The King of Comedy, Ikiru, Grease, Barton Fink, La Strada, Punch-Drunk Love, Magnolia.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I guess technically I haven't seen Inherent Vice either, but it's new so I wouldn't put in on my shameful list. Plus I'm gonna watch it when it finally loving gets released in Germany next month. But anyway, yeah I'll watch Hard Eight even sooner than that!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Nice, I'll check it out after watching Hard Eight.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Trash Boat, watch Jackie Brown!

Hard Eight was pretty good. It definitely had the PTA feel and was very nicely shot, but it felt like there was a lot left on the cutting room floor. As much as I like 90-minute movies, it definitely felt like some character development was missing. Te performances were all really good though, and helped mitigate the kinda wonky pacing. I like how Samuel L. Jackson played half-against-type. When he's threatening Sydney and talking about how he's trusted security, he comes off as an insecure wannabe badass trying to be exactly the kind of cool killer that Jackson previously played in Pulp Fiction. It was also cool seeing PSH pop up for a couple of minutes!

Updated list!

1. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (either one, I guess earlier in the thread I said I'd watch both if someone picked it, so this is a twofer!) - a classic that I haven't gotten around to, even though I've referenced the pointing at someone and screaming scene at least once in my life. I think this'll be my horror slot (if Body Snatchers counts as horror? It seems like it would.)

2. Shane - I love Westerns and I've heard this is a classic. Also, penismightier's old avatar with the "low-down Yankee liar" quote always made me want to watch it.

3. La Grande Bellezza - more Italian cinema, this one obviously more recent. I meant to see it when it was out in Germany last year but never managed to.

4. Bringing Out the Dead - another missing Scorsese, and the premise sounds cool.

6. Come and See (NEW!) - HUNDU THE BEAST GOD told me to.

8. Akira - heard good things, was always interested but just haven't seen it yet.

9. The Night of the Hunter - missing classic again.

10. Stalker - never seen a Tarkovsky film.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I've still only seen Grindhouse in full as a double feature when it came out, and that was a blast. I legit did not understand it when some people left after Planet Terror, especially since Death Proof is better than Planet Terror. But Death Proof can definitely stand on its own. It's nearly two hours but I don't recall it feeling its length at all.

e: I must've seen a screening from after it first came out because I saw it in college and it came out before I was in college. Hm.

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 26, 2015

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Lurdiak, watch Raging Bull!

The Night of the Hunter was awesome. It was gorgeously shot, the acting was fantastic (obviously Robert Mitchum was the standout, but the kids and other supporting characters were also good). WIlla's attempt to be the wife that Harry said he wanted her to be was sad in its desperate earnestness. Also, I loved the animal footage.

Updated list!

3. La Grande Bellezza - more Italian cinema, this one obviously more recent. I meant to see it when it was out in Germany last year but never managed to.

6. Come and See - HUNDU THE BEAST GOD told me to.

8. Akira - heard good things, was always interested but just haven't seen it yet.

9. City Lights (NEW!) - I've only seen scattered bits of Chaplin.

Already watched:
A Nightmare on Elm Street, Upstream Color, The King of Comedy, Ikiru, Grease, Barton Fink, La Strada, Punch-Drunk Love, Magnolia, Hard Eight, The Night of the Hunter.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Having just watched La Strada for the first time, I can confirm that it is fantastic.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

:smith:

That was a really good movie.

:smith:

Very appropriate reaction.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Chili posted:

8. Intolerable Cruelty - Continuing along with my quest to complete the Coens! I'm getting there! :siren: List Veteran As Of 9/30/2013 :siren:

I finish a Coen, you finish a Coen.

Miller's Crossing was fun. It didn't quite reach the best-of-Coen heights all the way through, but it certainly had its moments (the Danny Boyle scene in particular was loving amazing). Gabriel Byrne put in a solid understated performance, and the supporting cast was also fantastic (Albert Finney motherfuckers! Although I feel remiss not mentioning John Turturro, so shoutout for him too). The camerawork really evoked that '20s gangster feel. Definitely not one of my favorite Coen films, but second-tier Coen is better than a ton of films.

Updated list!

1. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (either one I guess earlier in the thread I said I'd watch both if someone picked it, so this is a twofer!) - a classic that I haven't gotten around to, even though I've referenced the pointing at someone and screaming scene at least once in my life. I think this'll be my horror slot (if Body Snatchers counts as horror? It seems like it would.)

5. Battleship Potemkin :siren:NEW!:siren: - I'm a trash person who hasn't seen this.

9. City Lights - I've only seen scattered bits of Chaplin.

Already watched:
A Nightmare on Elm Street, Upstream Color, The King of Comedy, Ikiru, Grease, Barton Fink, La Strada, Punch-Drunk Love, Magnolia, Hard Eight, The Night of the Hunter, Miller's Crossing.

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 5, 2015

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

We posted like one right after the other so it got a little jumbled. No rush!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

Mahlertov, take Shane for a spin. Try to ignore the annoying kid and there's good stuff there

Yessir!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Ratedargh, you get A Streetcar Named Desire. It'll be on my list at some point, too.

Shane was quite good. It was definitely a straight-up classic-style western, without much of the self-criticism of the genre found in later films like Unforgiven. It worked for the most part if you accept the schmaltz, with the exception of that fuckin' kid, who is just too drat naive and saccharine. Still, even though he got a hell of a lot of screen time, the better aspects make up for how annoying he could get. The family/community aspect was nice - rather than just grown men posturing and killing each other, it's like people actually live there. I guess that's a pretty typical aspect of classic westerns, though, with the white hat defending the town and all. The scene leading into the final gunfight was great: "I've heard you're a low-down Yankee liar" had great delivery. RIP penismightier's old avatar.

Updated list!

1. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (either one I guess earlier in the thread I said I'd watch both if someone picked it, so this is a twofer!) - a classic that I haven't gotten around to, even though I've referenced the pointing at someone and screaming scene at least once in my life. I think this'll be my horror slot (if Body Snatchers counts as horror? It seems like it would.)

2. Eyes Wide Shut :siren: NEW! :siren: - adore Kubrick but haven't gotten around to this yet.

5. Battleship Potemkin - I'm a trash person who hasn't seen this.

Already watched:
A Nightmare on Elm Street, Upstream Color, The King of Comedy, Ikiru, Grease, Barton Fink, La Strada, Punch-Drunk Love, Magnolia, Hard Eight, The Night of the Hunter, Miller's Crossing, Shane.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Zogo posted:

#165 Black Cat, White Cat - A cat film that's been lurking around the IMDb 250. 12/13/14

You get another movie that'll be on my list at some point.

Bringing Out the Dead was an odd movie and I liked it a lot. Its sleep-deprived vibe was fun and effective at letting the daydreams/bad memories coming to the surface make sense for the film. Nic Cage's default setting is kinda sleepy but he has an intense craziness that he can show simmering under the surface that is perfect for the role of a burned-out EMT. John Goodman's affability, Ving Rhames's seedy religiousness, and Tom Sizemore's outright violent psychopathy are all great foils for him in their own ways. Really strong film.

Updated list!

2. Eyes Wide Shut - I adore Kubrick but haven't gotten around to this yet.

4. Aguirre, The Wrath of God :siren: NEW! :siren: - I love what Herzog I've seen (just Grizzly Man and Rescue Dawn so far) but I know I'm missing essential poo poo. This is one example.

8. Akira - I've heard good things, was always interested but just haven't seen it yet.

10. Stalker - I've never seen a Tarkovsky film.

Already watched:
A Nightmare on Elm Street, Upstream Color, The King of Comedy, Ikiru, Grease, Barton Fink, La Strada, Punch-Drunk Love, Magnolia, Hard Eight, The Night of the Hunter, Miller's Crossing, Shane, Bringing Out the Dead

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

Mahlertov, start your Tarkovsky with Stalker

Well, Bringing Out the Dead was a fever dream of a movie. Almost, a spiritual successor to Taxi Driver, it manages to portray New York even seedier than that movie did. Cage was built for this kind of role. Quieter Cage is always better Cage, but with his craziness just simmering under the surface. I would say this is up there with his best work. The real star though is New York. The city just seems itself like a victim needing to be rescued. I wouldn't put this in top tier Scorsese, but just one notch below his best, which still is better than a lot of directors could hope for.

Will do! And it looks like we had similar reactions to Bringing Out the Dead :D

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Zogo posted:

Jack and Jill
I could eviscerate this "thing" more but I don't want to bother.

You should watch and review it in podcast form once a week for a year.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I haven't seen it (and I don't think I ever will unless my friend who loves when I'm miserable forces me to) but I can imagine. That podcast is great, though.

Holy poo poo, I was given Stalker in this thread so long ago, but I haven't managed to sit down and get to it yet :(

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

I keep dragging my feet on The Mirror. Tarkovsky is just so exhausting even though his films are always beautiful. Stalker is probably my favorite of his though from what I've seen and it's hard to say if it was worth killing the entire cast and crew over but if you're gonna die for a movie it may as well be that one.

Well that's a hell of a way to sell a movie. I'll get on it.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Ah poo poo double post.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

marioinblack posted:

10. The Apartment - I don't know much.

Ahhh man I need to watch Stalker (been saying it for months...) so that I can assign you The Apartment. What a lovely movie.

Das Leben der Anderen is also super great though.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Oh my god finish Unforgiven dude.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I mean, Fury Road stands plenty tall on its own and there isn't any sort of deep Mad Max mythology that you have to know - all of the movies can be watched without any prior knowledge of any of the others. However, the original three movies are all varying levels of great, and I know I appreciated having seen them going into Fury Road for the "history" of the series, as it were. (In a film history sense, not a story-history one.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

marioinblack posted:

1. Casino - 9 Jan 2016 - I loved Goodfellas and liked everything I've seen from Scorsese.

Get another Scorsese in your eyeballs.

I finally, finally watched Stalker! Aaand I loved it. The long shots take a little getting used to since most modern movies don't use that shooting style unless it's a lot flashier (e.g., Children of Men, that one episode of True Detective), but I appreciated how it gave the characters' movements more room to breathe. Also, the switches between black-and-white and color are so impactful: when the color hits going into the Zone, it's almost shocking; everything seems so muted afterwards; and I only realized after the movie ended that the scene with the daughter at the end was also in color. Great characters and dialogue, too.

Oh poo poo I forgot I had Eyes Wide Shut on here! I watched that a while ago and loved it just as much as Stalker in a totally different way. It has a wonderfully creepy/paranoid vibe, even and especially after the masked orgy (though some of those masks are definitely masterworks of horror props). My favorite low-key theme was new vs. old money, delivered via little slights like pointing out that Cruise's character arrived in a cab when the rest arrive in limos and by the fact that Cruise is always giving out cash tips everywhere whereas the old money people would never stoop to such petty exchanges. Also Kidman's delivery of the simple final line of the film is really funny. "There's just one thing left to do." "What's that?" "gently caress."

Updated list after like a year and a half!

2. Lolita - :siren: NEW! :siren: replacing Eyes Wide Shut with another missing Kubrick!

4. Aguirre, The Wrath of God I love what Herzog I've seen (just Grizzly Man and Rescue Dawn so far) but I know I'm missing essential poo poo. This is one example.

8. Akira - I've heard good things, was always interested but just haven't seen it yet.

10. Wag the Dog - :siren: NEW! :siren: my girlfriend recommended this to me so let's get to it!

Already watched:
A Nightmare on Elm Street, Upstream Color, The King of Comedy, Ikiru, Grease, Barton Fink, La Strada, Punch-Drunk Love, Magnolia, Hard Eight, The Night of the Hunter, Miller's Crossing, Shane, Bringing Out the Dead, Eyes Wide Shut, Stalker.

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 7, 2016