Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Mistletoe Donkey - I'm choosing The Insider for you. It's possibly my favourite Michael Mann. It's rare subdued Pacino and features, in my opinion, Russell Crowe's best work.

My list:

1) Sunset Boulevard - For whatever reason, Billy Wilder has never interested me. I keep hearing he's a master of his craft and I've always found a movie to watch in place of Sunset Blvd.

2) Easy Rider - Rented it thrice and never found the time to watch. Not for lack of interest, just didn't happen.

3) The Lives of Others - Pretty recent but everyone and their dog seems to love this movie and I just haven't put forth the effort.

4) Amadeus - I know I'll like it and I'm embarrassed I haven't watched it.

5) The Killing of a Chinese Bookie - I've only seen Faces by Cassavetes and I wasn't impressed so I've been putting off a second chance. I imagine I'd like Faces more now, I think I was 18 when I saw it.

6) Breathless - I love the Godard I've watched (Pierrot, Masculin-Feminin, Bande A Part) but haven't seen what many regard as his most must see.

7) Our Man in Havana - I've seen the other two collaborations between Graham Greene and Carol Reed (Third Man and Fallen Idol) I figure I should probably see this one soon.

8) Salo - I'm scared.

9) Wild Strawberries - Need more Bergman but I find he can be draining but I like what I've seen.

10) In the Bedroom - I've owned it for years and just keep forgetting I have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wild Strawberries – For a good part of the runtime I experienced the cold and clinical detachment I felt when watching Passion of Anna. Never quite as emotionally draining, Wild Strawberries takes a frank look into the psyche of a man coming to grips with his own mortality. It does shift to have a less cynical view on life than I expected. The people Isak picks up along the way stand in for memories of those who populated his life before and while he considers himself close to death he re-evaluates the path that led him to where he is. It’s a testament to letting go and embracing or at least accepting the negative events in life. It is a beautiful film and one that I think would be a good starting point for a first-time Bergman viewer.

SGRaaize, you're watching my favourite movie ever GoodFellas.

Updated List

1)Sunset Blvd. - For whatever reason, Billy Wilder has never interested me. I keep hearing he's a master of his craft and I've always found a movie to watch in place of Sunset Blvd.

2) Easy Rider - Rented it thrice and never found the time to watch. Not for lack of interest, just didn't happen.

3) The Lives of Others - Pretty recent but everyone and their dog seems to love this movie and I just haven't put forth the effort.

5) The Killing of a Chinese Bookie - I've only seen Faces by Cassavetes and I wasn't impressed so I've been putting off a second chance. I imagine I'd like Faces more now, I think I was 18 when I saw it.

6) Breathless - I love the Godard I've watched (Pierrot, Masculin-Feminin, Bande A Part) but haven't seen what many regard as his most must see.

7) Our Man in Havana - I've seen the other two collaborations between Graham Greene and Carol Reed (Third Man and Fallen Idol) I figure I should probably see this one soon.

8) Salo - I'm scared.

9) *NEW* The Adventures of Baron Munchausen – Working my way through Terry Gilliam but have not yet reached this. Loved Time Bandits. Hell I even liked Brothers Grimm more than most people I’ve talked to.

10) In the Bedroom - I've owned it for years and just keep forgetting I have it.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

I've got a lot of free time these days so I was able to watch Sunset Blvd. this afternoon. I didn’t think I’d enjoy this as much as I did. Great dialog and is a lot funnier than I expected, especially this back and forth when Norma decides she’s taking the script of Salome to DeMille that day.

“Here’s the chart from my astrologer. She read DeMille’s horoscope, she read mine.”
“Did she read the script?”

This also reinforces my enjoyment of William Holden. He’s been great in everything I’ve seen him in. Of course Gloria Swanson is the whole show but Holden is the quiet glue of the story. His Joe Gillis seems like Philip Marlowe’s deadbeat screenwriting cousin.

Dukket, do yourself a favour and watch L.A. Confidential. It's less Spacey's film than Guy Pearce's and Russell Crowe's. Spacey, though, is also at his best in my opinion here.

Updated List:

1)*NEW* Withnail and I – Bought it through a Criterion sale a year ago and haven’t made the effort. A couple friends, whose opinions I trust, are pretty high on it so I have no real excuse.

8) Salo - I'm scared.

9) The Adventures of Baron Munchausen – Working my way through Terry Gilliam but have not yet reached this. Loved Time Bandits. Hell I even liked Brothers Grimm more than most people I’ve talked to.

Watched through the thread: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Daunte Vicknabb! I'm giving you the pleasure of watching The Wild Bunch. Yelling at your terrible friends afterwards is suggested but not required.

penismightier posted:

Ratedargh (what does that mean?), The Adventures of Baron Munchausen is just too much fun. Enjoy naked Uma Thurman.

EDIT: I just got it! Rated argh. I thought it was rate dargh.

You got it! It's also the start of my email address and looks like complete gibberish at first glance.

As for The Adventures of Baron Munchausen – Wow, that was a lot of fun. I can see a kindred spirit existing between Baron Munchausen and Don Quixote and it makes sense why Quixote appeals to Gilliam despite being unable to make the movie. This one thrusts you into the world it has created and, as per usual with Gilliam, he doesn’t hold your hand to explain the internal logic. Munchausen is ancient and his helpers have special powers. Why? It doesn’t matter, they just do.

I think Gilliam still has the capacity to think as a child would while writing/creating a movie but is still mature enough to make the story compelling to adults. I found Time Bandits to work in a very similar fashion even with the dark elements. Thanks penismightier for selecting this.

New List:

1)Withnail and I – Bought it through a Criterion sale a year ago and haven’t made the effort. A couple friends, whose opinions I trust, are pretty high on it so I have no real excuse.

8) Salo - I'm scared.

9) *NEW* Fitzcarraldo – Love Herzog (that I’ve seen). Got this in the Herzog-Kinski box set but have only seen Nosferatu and Aguirre of the bunch.

Finally watched: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Our Man in Havana - At first, the tone seemed very off to me. It was a lighthearted romp about accidentally becoming a spy and robbing the government blind! Hooray! In the end I think it works quite well even though at first the jokey nature of the movie didn’t seem to fit. It’s almost like The Informant only Alec Guinness’ accidental spy isn’t a complete sociopath, just a desperate man who wants to provide for his daughter. The transformation in his character makes the movie, though. As it’s expected, his lies pile up and he has to deal with them and slowly he starts to realize the dire nature of his situation...terrific facial expressions from Guinness. Overall, I don’t think it’s a great one but it’s a good piece of entertainment that takes a couple choice shots at the incompetence of government. It lends validity to the jokey atmosphere that he was able to fool the agency for so long.

For you, marioinblack, I ask that you see The Social Network. Try to see it before the Oscars on Sunday if possible. Just a perfect storm of great performances, cinematography, script and soundtrack. Hope you enjoy.

Updated List:

1) Withnail and I – Bought it through a Criterion sale a year ago and haven’t made the effort. A couple friends, whose opinions I trust, are pretty high on it so I have no real excuse.

7) Phenomena - Argento is hit an miss. Loved Inferno and Suspiria, hated Opera. Borrowed this from a friend and should probably watch it soon as I've had it a while.

8) Salo - I'm scared.

9) Fitzcarraldo – Love Herzog (that I’ve seen). Got this in the Herzog-Kinski box set but have only seen Nosferatu and Aguirre of the bunch.

Finally watched: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our man in Havana

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

PDM Chubby, shame about The Conversation...it's one of my favourites. Let's see how you enjoy another one of my favourites instead. Trainspotting is all yours. I also highly suggest the novel.

Breathless – Godard has yet to disappoint me and I think this was prime to be the first due to the hype. But I can’t help but be charmed by the music and over the top style and especially that rascal Belmondo. It’s a classic and has earned that status. It’s crazy because how Godard sets up the character of Michel in only a couple minutes. Who he is is apparent. He is a fully formed character even though his formation isn’t captured on film. He’s a bit of a dirtbag, a coward and he’s all show and the walls are closing in. Also, I think it was a good test of my willpower. I quit smoking a couple months ago and boy did this ever bring the temptation.

Updated List:

1) Withnail and I – Bought it through a Criterion sale a year ago and haven’t made the effort. A couple friends, whose opinions I trust, are pretty high on it so I have no real excuse.

6)*NEW* The Cranes Are Flying – No clue about this one except I own a copy and have never taken the time to check it out.

7) Phenomena - Argento is hit and miss. Loved Inferno and Suspiria, hated Opera. Borrowed this from a friend and should probably watch it soon as I've had it a while.

8) Salo - I'm scared.

9) Fitzcarraldo – Love Herzog (that I’ve seen). Got this in the Herzog-Kinski box set but have only seen Nosferatu and Aguirre of the bunch.

Finally Watched: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

So in order to be thorough, I watched both versions of The Thing, since they are both highly regarded. The Thing From Another World was great. I'm a sucker for Howard Hawks, so I loved the script for that one. It was paced perfectly and brought up some of the same themes as Forbidden Planet with science versus humanity. John Carpenter's version was more jump out of your seat scary and i think he was going for an Alien-type vibe. It was a very paranoid, claustrophobic movie. Plus, you can't go wrong with Kurt Russell posturing and grimacing. Two very different films that i enjoyed. I have to give the original a slightly better grade just for the Hawks' factor.

I haven't seen the Hawks version admittedly but the Carpenter Thing is my favourite horror movie I've ever seen. You have interesting timing considering the avclub just posted a Better Late Than Never article covering the two movies.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-thing-from-another-worldthe-thing,52444/

Ratedargh fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 28, 2011

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Phenomena is certainly Argento but not the completely incoherent Argento that made me hate Opera with all the fibre of my being. Sure, there are choices by characters that defy logic and one bit near the end that should probably be explained: how did the killer get away to attack Jennifer? She was being beaten to a pulp and then WHACK cuts off a guy's head from off screen. That said, it's very entertaining and has a great soundtrack. Possibly my favourite of his movies. Also...knife-wielding chimp.

maroinblack - You get Up because everyone should see it, it's that drat good.

6) The Cranes Are Flying – No clue about this one except I own a copy and have never taken the time to check it out.

7) *NEW* 12 Angry Men - Highest IMDB top 250 movie I haven't seen.

8) Salo - I'm scared.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

caiman, watch Downfall, it's really good.

Withnail and I is funny, sad and a little familiar.

I lived in a dumpy apartment for a year recently that was very much like Withnail’s and the Bruce Robinson based character’s (I read it was fairly autobiographical) apartment. It was a wild year, though these guys put me to shame...and themselves as well. I never drank lighter fluid.

At any rate, it’s a funny movie with great dialog and shenanigans. It maintains a depressing undertone throughout, though, so despite the whimsy there is sadness, which is how it seems Robinson remembers his friend Vivian (basis of Withnail). I think we all have friends like that to varying degrees.

UPDATED LIST:

1) Cronos – First blind buy blu-ray. Like Del Toro’s movies a ton, I even enjoyed Blade 2 more than the rest of the series (and I think I even saw it before I knew who Del Toro was). Excited for this.

6) The Cranes Are Flying – No clue about this one except I own a copy and have never taken the time to check it out.

7) 12 Angry Men – Highest in IMDB top 250 I haven’t seen

8) Salo - I'm scared.

Already watched: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Electronico6 posted:

High and Low Sounds like a Kurosawa take on Hitchcock's type of movie really.

This is one of my favourite Kurosawa films. It's so fast paced and intense the entire way. I hope you enjoy it and considering your Mifune-powered avatar I bet you will.

I just watched 12 Angry Men. I love Lumet's films and it's insane that I never saw this. It's a performance piece that requires everyone involved to be on top of his game and the ball is in the writer's court to make sure each character has a voice. Sometimes it gets redundant but the transformation from it being a "welp, he's guilty what's for supper" mentality to the facts being questioned are very well handled.

Loved how it was framed a lot of the time too. The close-ups created a terrific sense of isolation on the individuals. Not much to dislike here.

Updated list:

1) Cronos – First blind buy blu-ray. Like Del Toro’s movies a ton, I even enjoyed Blade 2 more than the rest of the series (and I think I even saw it before I knew who Del Toro was). Excited for this.

7) Paths of Glory – Highest in IMDB top 250 I haven’t seen (and one of the only Kubricks I haven't seen).

8) Salo - I'm scared.

Watched through the thread: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

bluefire579 posted:

The Basketball Diaries: There's something intriguing about watching a person fall from grace

Watched this in high school just after I saw Titanic and Romeo and Juliet. I had a hate on for DiCaprio and this changed my view on him for the better.

The Cranes Are Flying is beautiful and tragic. I always appreciate it when a war movie doesn’t delve into flag waving patriotism, the best avoid that sort of thing. War is never good and winning isn’t exactly possible. People are separated by loved ones and act rashly in their absence. Veronica’s difficulty dealing with her boyfriend volunteering to go to war doesn’t always endear her to the audience. She makes decisions that show a weak side to her and she isn’t always likeable.

Amazing camera work too. Especially during the sequence leading up to where the young boy nearly gets hit by a car (not really a spoiler I don’t think). This is a great movie that took me by surprise.

Updated list:

6) Blow Out - Travolta + DePalma? I am skeptical though I hear it's a lot like The Conversation, which is probably my favourite Coppola.

7) Paths of Glory – Highest in IMDB top 250 I haven’t seen

8) Salo - I'm scared.

Watched because of this thread: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The Red and the White One of those film's that has always been high on my watch list, but never high enough to actually watch it.

Time to take it off your list then!

Fitzcarraldo is insane. I enjoyed that there was a disjointed feeling to much of it too, especially as our intrepid adventurers make stops here and there on the way to the iconic image of taking a ship over a mountain. The sequence with the abandoned train conductor was hilarious. "I see you've had children," Fitzcarraldo says to him. Guy is still in his uniform too which just added to it. Between him and Huerequeque there is enough comedy to go around.

What impressed me most was Kinski. There is an obvious kinship between the Fitzcarraldo character and Aguirre. But here he channels a childlike dreaminess that was absent in the cold ambition of Aguirre. Really good work. Also, Claudia Cardinale :swoon:

Some fat could have probably been trimmed but it's a great quixotic adventure movie.

Updated list o' shame:

6)Blow Out - Travolta + DePalma? I am skeptical though I hear it's a lot like The Conversation, which is probably my favourite Coppola.

8) Salo - I'm scared.

9) Hausu – Loved the criterion artwork for it and enjoy what little Japanese horror I have seen.

Shame be gone: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Electronico6 posted:

The Director's cut version is not worth it.

Sadly it's the only copy (of Amadeus) I have. But I've suckered a bunch of friends into watching it with me this weekend. I've heard the extra 20 really bogs it down...it can't be that bad is it?

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

penismightier posted:

My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done? I was really excited for this, then I heard it was kinda crappy. All the same, I owe it a watch.

I'm in the same boat with this one and I'd like to hear what you think of it.

Amadeus was incredible. Sure it was the (slightly) maligned director's cut but being unaware of what was added specifically I found it to be a very enjoyable film. The costumes, set pieces and overall visuals were terrific. I usually don't take much of a notice to costuming but here it was such an integral aspect to the story, it became its own character along with the score, which is handled very nicely.

I also like how it's more of a movie about Salieri but it's called Amadeus. It's a fitting title for a movie where that character is constantly overshadowed by someone he deems unworthy of the talent he possesses.

UPDATED LIST O SHAME:

4) Black Narcissus – I have never seen a Powell/Pressburger joint.

6)Blow Out - Travolta + DePalma? I am skeptical though I hear it's a lot like The Conversation, which is probably my favourite Coppola.

8) Salo - I'm scared.

9) Hausu – Loved the criterion artwork for it and enjoy what little Japanese horror I have seen.

Shame be gone: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Chili posted:

5. Yojimbo

I love Kurosawa, I have no excuse for not having seen this.

Yup, you get Yojimbo. One of Kurosawa's best...though that can be said of most of his films, heh.

Paths of Glory was a lot shorter than I was anticipating. I'm used to Kubrick's long, sweeping stories (I mean Barry Lyndon is long but I never felt its length). It seemed that Paths of Glory is more of a snapshot of war, a bitter and helpless snapshot that de-glamorizes duty and honour.

It is a very good movie, though I don't think I'll consider it as good as a lot of Kubrick's others but I think he got some of his best performances from his actors in this one compared to the stone faced displays later on. There is more emotion here, it might be Kubrick's most human film.

UPDATED LIST O SHAME:

1)Cronos – First blind buy blu-ray. Like Del Toro’s movies a ton, I even enjoyed Blade 2 more than the rest of the series (and I think I even saw it before I knew who Del Toro was). Excited for this.

7) City Lights – Highest in IMDB top 250 I haven’t seen

8) Salo - I'm scared.

Shame be gone: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Chili posted:

That works, especially cause it's streaming on Netflix, which I probably should have checked before making that list in the first place.

When you get the opportunity I highly recommend getting your hands on the Yojimbo/Sanjuro boxset. It's fantastic as Criterion has a tendency to be. Once you watch it you'll want to have it.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

True Evil Bob posted:

3. The Night of The Hunter - I spent a few years of my childhood growing up in the town this takes place in, so I heard the movie mentioned a lot, but have never seen it myself.

Watch this. Mitchum is so good in this.

Blow Out is far better than I would have expected. The tone is pitch perfect (sound pun!) and it's pulpy entertainment with an intense style that I don't see in many movies now. Wow to that ending. The whole thing moves at a great pace but the first half and the very end kick it up a notch for me.

UPDATED LIST O SHAME:

6)127 Hours – Only BP nominee from this past year I haven’t seen.

8) Salo - I'm scared.

Shame be gone:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Electronico6 posted:

This makes the fifth movie I recommend to you in a row. Hopefully I won't let you down!

So far so good! But if you do... :argh:

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

All right Electronico, you got lucky again because Cronos was a lot of fun. It's campy and silly but I got sucked in by the atmosphere and the mythos behind the device. For a first feature it's certainly an achievement. I think you kind of have to be open to this kind of genre piece to really like it because I've read a lot of responses on mubi about it and how they feel it has no business in the Criterion Collection. I like Del Toro, and while I think Pan's Labyrinth is his masterpiece thus far, this along with Devil's Backbone are almost as good. Terrific companion pieces too.

"Not my nose again!"

Oh and while we're at it you get The Big Sleep. It's a fun Bogart detective flick. I also recommend reading some Raymond Chandler if you end up enjoying it.

Updated List O Shame:
1)Cars - Only Pixar movie I have yet to see.

8) Salo - I'm scared.

Shame Be Gone: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Hausu is an incredible viewing experience. It's a live action cartoon that seems childish and insane before the childishness gets beaten into a flashy pulp. I don't know exactly what I expected but if you want a visual feast of a horror movie this is it, just be sure to not take it too seriously because some (okay, most) of it is ridiculous. It's a movie I now feel the need to show to a bunch of my friends just so I can see their collective reactions.

PA, you get The Jazz Singer. It's not that good but it's a piece of film history that is worth seeing for that aspect alone.

List o Shame:

8) Salo - I'm scared.

9)The Time of the Wolf - Friend is a big Haneke fan and has lent this to me.

Shame Be Gone!: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Atheistdeals.com posted:

9. The New World - I'm going to guess that The New World has little dialogue, amazing images, and lots and lots of wildlife shots. Anything else would be a radical departure.

You're not wrong. It's a very beautiful film that rubbed a few of my friends the wrong way. Boring, they called it. I thought it was fantastic and I hope you do as well.

City Lights is a funny and sweet movie with its fair share of melancholy. The tramp does what he can to help a blind girl in need and he fumbles through his life as he does it. Chaplin is timeless but at the same time a capsule from a lost era. There is a magic that comes alive on the screen during his movies that I doubt could be aptly replicated today without it seeming phony or ridiculous. I haven't seen a lot of his films but I always enjoy them when I do. Modern Times is still my favourite but that's not a slight against this.

List o' Shame:

2) Easy Rider - Rented it thrice and never found the time to watch. Not for lack of interest, just didn't happen. I also just got the America Lost and Found box set so I don't have to worry about renting it again.

7)Double Indemnity – Highest in IMDB top 250 I haven’t seen

8) Salo - I'm scared.

Shame be gone: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

tokillthesunflower posted:

The Player Altman Altman Altman.

You have a great list and I hope you love The Player as much as I did.

Easy Rider is one of the best films I've ever seen...as far as a first viewing can attest to. It packs an incredible punch. Throughout the first half to three quarters I was so wrapped up in the mystique and freedom of the road that I either didn't catch or more likely willfully ignored the foreboding.

Then poo poo hits the fan and George is murdered, they trip balls and get blown away on the road. What a gut punch of a finish. Jesus. It almost made me sick to think of the mindless hatred that put them in their graves. The little flash Wyatt gets when he sees his bike in flames on the side of the road briefly shows what's in store but I didn't want to believe it.

Really well crafted, great characters, wonderful soundtrack. Just wonderful.

List o' Shame:

2) The Last Picture Show - Going to keep watching the America Lost and Found Box Set.

8) Salo - I'm scared.

Shame be gone: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Electronico6 posted:

Serpico The other Lumet-Pacino collaboration.

Tops from Pacino/Lumet for sure. I saw this for the first time in the 10th grade many moons ago and it remains one of my favourite cop stories.

The Lives of Others is very well put together, has a great score and a fairly uplifting finish (though the rest is so bleak, it's hardly a pleasant movie). And maybe Wiesler is supposed to be emotionally neutered (the scene with the prostitute an interesting way to show that) but his motivations don't seem to...exist. Well I suppose seeing how power is abused by imbeciles simply looking out for their own corrupt lifestyles and becoming frustrated and subsequently enamoured with the writer and his lover.

Good movie but stilted and failed to generate much of an emotional connection.

List o' Shame:

2) The Last Picture Show - Going to keep watching the America Lost and Found Box Set.

3) Brand Upon the Brain - Might as well give Guy Maddin a go.

8) Salo - I'm scared.

9)The Company of Wolves - My mistake, my friend actually lent me this though we were talking about Haneke...

Shame be gone: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others

Ratedargh fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 27, 2011

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wade Wilson posted:

I thought Kull was supposed to pick one for them.

Kull didn't post a review or his updated list so he didn't pick one for him. Every time you post your list/review you pick a movie for the last person who posted a list/review. :eng101:

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Salo, Or the 120 Days of Sodom - :stare: Well...that is...uh...well...I was right to be scared. It's the most vile movie I've ever seen. Banned in many countries and considered a masterpiece by some, it's a viewing experience that is best left under wraps for most. It's not entirely an empty experience but the frank depiction of such horrible and repeated torturous acts makes me wonder how effective it is. Instead it comes off more like exploitation than a condemnation of corruption, excess or abuse of power.

I felt physically ill through most of it, not an exaggeration. And I'm glad I did because if I was perfectly okay with what I was seeing I think it was time I got some professional help. Wow... :barf:

Question to those who have seen it and more Pasolini. How different is this to the rest of his filmography? I hate to let a filmmaker be judged entirely on one bad experience.

8) Point Blank - I'm reading Easy Riders, Raging Bulls and it got mentioned. I always liked the look of it but never got around to it. Also have never really watched much Lee Marvin.

9)The Company of Wolves - Friend of mine lent me this some time ago, he tells me it's really good.

TenSpadesBeTrump, you get Naked! Probably my favourite Mike Leigh that I've seen.

Shame be gone: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Turada posted:

I'm not sure what you intended by this. I watched The Thing and was pretty unimpressed throughout. It starts off so strong - being isolated is terrifying, plus a mad Norwegian flying in and trying to kill your pets. But nothing happens for so long. I wasn't scared, or horrified, this was not a horror movie for me. There was a definite improvement in the final third - right around when the character runs for the axe, and there's a stand off, then Russell becomes leader but this was just too long to wait for it to kick into gear. Their apparent total disregard for any kind of safety procedure was ridiculous, at least one character mentions that a single particle can begin the transformation process and yet nobody attempts even basic hygiene around the dog-things/humans.

Even disregarding the transformation scenes, I don't understand what was horrifying about the Thing itself, so two points. Firstly - what's the endgame? It copies all humans and....then what? Secondly, I wanted to throw my notebook at the screen when they started talking about the difference between copies and 'real' humans, at least they didn't mention a soul, or a 'real inner self' or anything else that usually comes up in scenes like that. One of the only scenes that really worked for me was when one character's stomach transformed into a gaping maw, I definitely screamed a little bit.

4/10

This makes me sad.

The endgame is annihilation of the entire human population. The Thing absorbs the life of every planet it goes to and essentially can become it. The big bad at the end is elements of Blair, the dogs and various other beings it has absorbed over (presumably) centuries.

What's horrifying about all this is the psychological nature of the situation coupled with the setting. The isolation and paranoia of the individual not knowing who among him may or may not be his friend or enemy is where the scares lie. The gore, while impressive in my opinion, is secondary to what's underneath the surface. It works for me because the danger is being posed on a very small scale with a later threat of spreading globally.

Your issues with pacing...well I have no answers for you because we generally disagree there. That's fine. I liked the slow burn to it. There are lapses in logic but I can forgive that for the aforementioned isolation/cabin fever scenario. I imagine if I saw a group of dogs assimilate into a spideralienmonster my grasp of accepted human logic might be slightly damaged.

You are not alone, however, as there have been some of my friends who have felt the same way. I, however, love The Thing forever.

Sorry for taking up so much space when I still haven't completed my last assignment from the thread.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Turada posted:

I just think that The Thing itself is never explained very well. On one hand, it's presented as malevolent and actively killing people. It doesn't simply duplicate them and let them carry on as normal but taking something for itself. On the other, if that is its goal, why is it so weak? They say it's been in the ice for 100,000 years, and we saw it arrive from space where it presumably arrived after devouring/absorbing at least one planets lifeforms and if all you have to show after a planets worth of gorging is that little thing, then you're not a very good monster :colbert:.

Fair points.

Counterpoint: The Thing is awesome :colbert:

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Apes-ma, watch Blue Velvet, it (or Elephant Man) is my favourite David Lynch movie.

In the Bedroom is pretty terrific. It sets up the drama very well in the first 45 minutes by immersing the audience into the lives of these people. There is a constant sense of foreboding that is very effective.

As the parents grieve and see elements of their son in their everyday lives after he's murdered, I really liked the lack of flashbacks. There is only one use of it on the treehouse and it felt out of place. Other than that one brief shot it felt much more organic.

Tom Wilkinson and Sissy Spacek owned the show, though everyone was top notch. Outstanding movie that works with subtlety and quiet to create dread and emotional responses.

LIST O'SHAME

8) Point Blank - I'm reading Easy Riders, Raging Bulls and it got mentioned. I always liked the look of it but never got around to it. Also have never really watched much Lee Marvin.

9)The Company of Wolves - Friend of mine lent me this some time ago, he tells me it's really good.

10)*NEW* A Woman is a Woman - A little more Godard would be nice.

Shame be gone: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Zogo posted:

#213 Kind Hearts and Coronets - The title does not tickle my fancy. 7/21/11

This is much funnier than you'd expect...though there is some questionable dialogue.

I like to imagine that Ben Gazzara's Cosmo character in The Killing of a Chinese Bookie later changed his name to Jackie Treehorn and got into the porn business after his club fell through. This is my second Cassavetes and it went much smoother than Faces several years ago. This is a slimy movie but it has a smooth flow to it that fits Cosmo's leisurely pace. Really good stuff.

It was also the last one from my initial shame list!

LIST O' SHAME

5) Black Moon - Drawn in by various cover art for years. No idea what it's about.

10)A Woman is a Woman - A little more Godard would be nice.

SHAME BE GONE: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Irish Legend posted:

The only movie on Zogo's list that I have seen in Ghandi

Well maybe you'll have better luck with my list!

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Apes-Ma posted:

Full Metal Jacket
Never seen it, but it feels like I have due to everyone quoting Hartman's lines. Should probably just see it and get over it.

I watched this repeatedly in high school. I used to love the first half more, but over time I think it's just a well rounded film from start to finish. Enjoy!

Cars was a delightful surprise. The visual details and a lot of the one-liners and characterization of the secondary roles won me over. I expected to hate it or at least not like it but I had fun the whole way. It don't think it'll have the lasting impact of the rest of Pixar's movies and I am not a racing fan in any way, but it's still a good way to spend an evening.

LIST O' SHAME

1)The Great Dictator - Because you can never get too much Chaplin

5) Black Moon - Drawn in by various cover art for years. No idea what it's about.

SHAME BE GONE: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

zandert33 posted:

10. The Big Sleep:
More Bogey

Here you go! Such a great movie.

Brand Upon the Brain! is a nightmarish vision into the psychosis of a man coming to grips with his past. It's hallucinatory and terrifying with occasional bits of hilarity that are equally as unsettling. It's similar in feel to Lynch's Eraserhead but much more palatable despite being insane. I'm curious about the other narrators, I watched the Isabella Rosselini track (though I watched one chapter with Eli Wallach just to see). It's a bit ridiculous and I know that some of my friends would roll their eyes the entire time but it's certainly a worthwhile watch.

List O' Shame:

1)The Great Dictator - Because you can never get too much Chaplin

3)Cool Hand Luke - No excuses. So many friends have suggested it but it has remained one of those movies where I keep saying "I'll get to it eventually"

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Zogo posted:

#212 Barry Lyndon - I remember hearing about this when one of Ryan O'Neal's sons went onto Larry King Live and berated his dad for making him watch this. Ryan O'Neal gave his son some drugs so that he'd make it through the film. 8/4/11

This one was a Kubrick I wasn't keen on seeing but ended up liking quite a bit.

The Great Dictator is the best Chaplin I've seen. It's hilarious, touching and has a lot to say about humanity. It's a simple message, treat one another as equals. For some reason that idea is easily lost from day to day. The speech the barber gives is incredible in its power and simplicity.

Oh and every moment with Hynkel and Napaloni is golden. And, of course, the scene with the globe, despite having seen it out of context, is something magical.

LIST O SHAME:

1) The Last Detail - Swearing sailors sounds superb.

3)Cool Hand Luke - No excuses. So many friends have suggested it but it has remained one of those movies where I keep saying "I'll get to it eventually"

8) Point Blank - I'm reading Easy Riders, Raging Bulls and it got mentioned. I always liked the look of it but never got around to it.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Oz Fox posted:

One of the best things about Ben Hur is that TCM always plays it at like noon on christmas day, so at four hours it makes a great way to kill a dull christmas afternoon.

You actually have to pick one from my list. zandert33 already had one chosen for him.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Electronico6 posted:

Barton Fink Early Coen Brothers.

Here you go! I can't resist the Coens.

Double Indemnity was an interesting watch. I loved the mood, the setting and most of the dialog. The only thing that really bugged me was how quickly Neff falls for Mrs. Dietrichson. One second he's talking about how crazy she is and then, on a dime he pulls her to him and says "I'm crazy about you baby." He said baby a lot and it always sounded odd. I love noir but this seemed almost forced at times.

That said, it's still very entertaining, though it surprises me that it's one of the top regarded movies ever.

Also watched Point Blank. It was a fun movie with Lee Marvin being badass. The exchange between him and Carroll O'Conner's Brewster about why he's doing what he's doing is excellent. In the end, he just wants his money...there's no greater purpose. Not even revenge, really. Great use of flashbacks, colour and music. The atmosphere and the stoic nature of Marvin really made it work.

LIST O' SHAME

7)Lawrence of Arabia – Highest in IMDB top 250 I haven’t seen

8)The Rules of the Game - It's so high regarded and yet I know nothing about it.

SHAME BE GONE: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Jurgan posted:

4. Blade Runner - Now this is really shameful. I'm a big sci-fi fan, and I like Harrison Ford, so it's bad already. But what really makes it inexcusable is that I bought it a couple years ago, and it's still sitting on the shelf in shrink wrap.

Every sci-fi fan should see this. So now you have to.

Cool Hand Luke was as good as my friends have told me. Newman is charismatic as hell. The Luke character is but a glimpse into the life of the prison camp, a diversion from the usual grind. He was like a gift to the prisoners to help them feel human again but of course it can't all be smiles and laughs. All that for popping off the tops of parking meters. Amazing photography, the shots of the boss with the rifle's sunglasses reflecting the skyline were amazing. Overall a great time.

LIST O SHAME:

3)The Sting - Another from the file of heard about for years, been told mostly good things, but never saw it.

8)The Rules of the Game - It's so high regarded and yet I know nothing about it.

SHAME BE GONE: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Dmitri Russkie posted:

Sanjuro - Kurosawa's next movie on my list.

It's a fun follow up to Yojimbo!

Man, I have just been on a movie watching role lately. I love happening upon a slew of free time like this because I'd been meaning to watch 127 Hours for a while. I missed it in theatres, was hesitant because I essentially knew what happened. What Danny Boyle and company have made is a movie that works on all aspects. It's a great character study of a man forced to look inward and recognize all his potential flaws as he works his way to make a very serious, albeit necessary, decision. It's put together so well and the score and other sound is perfect as the tension builds. Just a fantastic movie, one of the best of 2010. Really, now that I've seen all the nominees from last year I am very impressed...except The Kids Are All Right, didn't like that.

LIST O SHAME:

3)The Sting - Another from the file of heard about for years, been told mostly good things, but never saw it.

6)Precious – Most recent BP nominee I haven’t seen.

SHAME BE GONE: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Contempt
Next on TSPDT. I love Godard, so I'm looking forward to this.

I haven't seen any of the movies on your list but this is the one I most want to see so you get it!

Black Narcissus is beautiful. I can't believe it came out in 1947, the blu-ray transfer on the Criterion disc is unreal. The most surprising thing for me was that a story about a convent in the mountains was compelling and intense. I tried to keep an open mind and I'm glad I did because my high school self from ten years ago would have sneered at it. It gets top marks for the visuals but there is a deep study into the reasons for gaining and losing faith that I think will resonate with most people who have grown up with a heavy religious presence in their lives or at one point had felt pressure to be more "one with God" or something like that. Great intro to Powell and Pressburger. Where some might be turned off by the theatrical nature of the performances I think it gives the movie a unique breath of air it otherwise would have lacked.

LIST O SHAME:

4) Bronson - Just saw Drive, loved it, must see more by Refn.

SHAME BE GONE: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

zandert33 posted:

1. 8 1/2:
Watched the first 5 minutes, and turned it off for some reason, I think I wasn't in the right mood that night.

My favourite, from a limited section of viewing, Fellini. Hope you're in the right mood this time.

I watched Lawrence of Arabia in two sittings, though in hindsight the length was never an issue. The pacing is really strong and the cinematography is beautiful enough to get lost in for quite some time. I went in expecting to mildly enjoy it and it was better than that. In the beginning when he dies on his motorcycle, the idealistic great man depicted shortly thereafter had already been dead for some time as evidenced by that massive slaughter of the Turks before reaching Damascus. His defeat came at the hands of not being able to fight the colour of his own skin and his own background. He could never be an Arab but by the end he couldn't be British either. He was a man without a country, without identity and arguably without a soul. The movie ends up being much darker than I was anticipating and it didn't turn until after the intermission.

All that said, it's a really fine movie but I didn't fall in love with it like I have with others. I adore David Lean's Bridge on the River Kwai and I don't think this was nearly as good. Still a strong movie and I'm glad I finally saw it. I imagine seeing it on the big screen would be an exciting experience.

LIST O' SHAME

7)Life is Beautiful – Highest in IMDB top 250 I haven’t seen

SHAME BE GONE: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

bleeding pebbles posted:

2) Seven Samurai - Watched the first disc a long time ago and never got around to the second disc. Might as well start it all over now.

Welcome to the thread, here's a great movie.

The Sting is a lot of fun. I still don't give a poo poo about Redford, and find him bland in general, but Newman and everything else here is fantastic fun. It stalls a bit in the middle but the payoff more than makes up for any shortcomings. I didn't find it predictable, though after all was said and done I thought that it should have been so obvious but the film does a great job of mixing it up. I, as the viewer, was conned in a way and I loved it.

LIST O' SHAME:

3)Life of Brian - I have no idea why I haven't seen this.

7)Life is Beautiful – Highest in IMDB top 250 I haven’t seen

SHAME BE GONE: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting