Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
It's time to join the good fight. (super late edit) My Letterboxd

F For Fake (1973) - (6.22.17) I've never seen an Orson Welles film

Casablanca (1942) - (6.22.17) I've never seen a Humphrey Bogart film. I own this on DVD

Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) - (6.22.17) I rarely feel in the mood to watch westerns.

Lawrence of Arabia (1962) - (6.22.17) It's looooong and sounds kinda boring.

Schindler's List (1993) - Promises of long and depressing movies about war keep me away

Aguirre: The Wrath of God (1972) - (6.22.17) I love Werner Herzog, I've just seen more of his documentaries than his narrative films

After Hours (1985) - (6.22.17) I've been slowly filling in my Scorsese gaps. I own it on DVD

Night of the Hunter (1955) - (6.22.17) The classic thriller/horror I've never seen.

The Seventh Seal (1957) - (6.22.17) Just watched Persona recently. I'm borrowing the Criterion blu-ray of this right now, so it's a high priority.

Ikiru (1952) - (6.22.17) I've only seen 2 Kurosawa films, but this one sounds like it could be my favorite.

Dmitri Russkie posted:

Reds - Don't know much about this movie.

Well I hope you enjoy it. It sounds interesting.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I legitimately expected you to give me Lawrence of Arabia or Night of the Hunter.

Thanks for Aguirre, though! Always ready for more Herzog.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Honestly I'm not sure if forcing Lawrence on someone is the best way to go about it. Like you said, its a long film. If someone does assign it to you I hope you'll be patient and wait until the mood strikes you so it doesn't feel like a chore.

You're always so considerate Basebf555.

The length is what stops me from watching it on my own, if someone chose it for me I'd try not to let the length affect my expectations. The last movie I was dreading because of it's length was Barry Lyndon, and that turned out to be one of my favorite Kubrick's. Same with Zodiac being one of the best thrillers I've seen. I just don't watch them unless pushed.

Either way, I'm excited to watch Aguirre this weekend. Hope someone picks a good one for you.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Aguirre: The Wrath of God (1972) dir. Werner Herzog

Fantastic movie that captures the delusions of grandeur and hypocrisy of the conquistadors on the path to conquer the world in the name of God. Klaus Kinski is subdued, subtle, intimidating. The setting is claustrophobic, dirty, threatening, and beautiful. The paranoia of arrows flying from the dark woods and killing someone creates a layer of fear in each scene. The movie has it's humor: a person wounded by an arrow complimenting it's length before dying, a manic little flute player serenading Aguirre's wrath as he dreams of conquering the world, the soldiers and slaves taking any opportunity to steal food from their leader. It also has one of the best decapitations I've seen. It's soft ending of lunacy amidst failure and death was great.

My List

Fitzcarraldo (1982) - (6.23.17) The other big Werner Herzog narrative I haven't seen.

Casablanca (1942) - (6.22.17) I've never seen a Humphrey Bogart film. I own this on DVD

Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) - (6.22.17) I rarely feel in the mood to watch westerns.

Schindler's List (1993) - Promises of long and depressing movies about war keep me away

After Hours (1985) - (6.22.17) I've been slowly filling in my Scorsese gaps. I own it on DVD

Night of the Hunter (1955) - (6.22.17) The classic thriller/horror I've never seen.

The Seventh Seal (1957) - (6.22.17) Just watched Persona recently. I'm borrowing the Criterion blu-ray of this right now, so it's a high priority.

Ikiru (1952) - (6.22.17) I've only seen 2 Kurosawa films, but this one sounds like it could be my favorite.

Ratedargh posted:

LIST O SHAME
4) Dogtooth - Liked The Lobster well enough...heard this was somehow stranger.

I loved The Lobster and I love Dogtooth. I hope you enjoy it and I'm sorry for giving you a very dark movie.

COMPLETED: Aguirre: The Wrath of God;

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Current List with a new entry:

gently caress. I really hope someone gives you Lost Highway. I may watch Casablanca tonight just so I can make you watch it, but I owe MZ a watch of The Love Witch.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Casablanca (1942) dir. Michael Curtiz

It's strange finally watching a movie that I've experienced mostly through cultural osmosis. Just a tight movie. Even somewhat knowing the resolution--Ingrid Bergman gets on a plan and Humphrey Bogart doesn't, I didn't know Casablanca would be a tense film pulling at my heart strings. I think I'm going to re-watch this with the Roger Ebert commentary when I have some time to learn more about this cultural landmark of film. I want to watch more Humphrey Bogart. Had I known Claude Rains was in this film, I'd probably have watched it years sooner.

My List

The Thin Red Line (1998) - (6.27.17) My only Terrence Malick film I've seen is Tree of Life, which I really enjoyed.

Fitzcarraldo (1982) - (6.23.17) The other big Werner Herzog narrative I haven't seen.

FancyMike posted:

A Nightmare on Elm Street - afraid if I watch one I'll feel compelled to get through them all like I did with Hellraiser
You have a lot of great films on your list, A Nightmare on Elm Street is fun and a horror staple. Sorry, you'll probably watch the whole series. 1, 3& 7 are great, the other vary from good to bad, and the documentary Never Sleep Again is a must watch. :getin:

I also followed you on Letterboxd.

COMPLETED: Aguirre: The Wrath of God; Casablanca

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 28, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FancyMike posted:

My wife thought it was cheesy and bad.
:sever:

Basebf555 posted:

Stop into the horror thread sometime and say you've never seen a lot of horror classics. You'll get more recommendations than you can handle, and most will be a lot better than Friday the 13th(even if it's still pretty essential to watch once).

Do this! It's the best thread in CineD

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
After Hours (1985) dir. Martin Scorsese

Wow. Probably my 2nd favorite Scorsese film, right under Cape Fear. This is a hilarious nightmare. Everything flows, everything adds up to a paranoid plot, served with manic energy and logic that's stayed up too late and is running on fumes of caffeine. A city of lonely weirdos all packed together in the dirty streets. I had no idea Scorsese made films like this. Why doesn't everyone know about this film?

My List

In Cold Blood (1967) - (6.29.17) I've read the book, which I enjoyed. I know the movie looks great, I've seen the famous window rain show. I own it on blu-ray.

The Thin Red Line (1998) - (6.27.17) My only Terrence Malick film I've seen is Tree of Life, which I really enjoyed.

COMPLETED: Aguirre: The Wrath of God; Casablanca; After Hours

Rollersnake posted:

4. Pan's Labyrinth - Yet another from the "I have owned this for years yet haven't watched it" pile. Looks like a great dark fantasy movie that I would totally love!

You're in for a treat.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Schindler's List (1993) dir. Steven Spielberg

While this was a dark and depressing story about the darkest blot in modern human history, it swept me away with it's heart and optimism for humanity when faced with hopelessness, desperation, and suffering. Ralph Fiennes, Ben Kingsley, Embeth Davidtz, and of course Liam Neeson land career-defining performances here, but the film manages a magical feat that only films close to perfection can achieve: every performance captured on the screen is a knock-out. There are no weak characters, weak moments, or poor actors. I don't have any pretense about getting emotional during movies; I cried during the last twenty minutes of the film (and during several others, notably the scene where the luggage is taken from the racks and dumped, priceless possessions thrown around like junk, never to be returned to their owners who mistakenly expect their belongings when they reach their destination).. The moment when Oskar is presented with the ring and "I could have saved more" speech, the amazing ending with the survivor's visiting the grave, and many other moments are heart-wrenching and powerful. Fully deserving of it's reputation as Spielberg's greatest film and solidifies his place as the most well-known American director. It makes me wish he wouldn't waste his time on projects like The BFG and would concentrate on more powerful epics (I know his one for you, one for me routine).

I have been very fortunate that each film that has been recommended to me has somehow been better than the previous one.

My List

The French Connection (1971) - (7.2.17) I have only seen William Friedkin's The Exorcist and The Hunted; I've been excited to watch this since his appearance on WTF podcast. I own it on DVD.

In Cold Blood (1967) - (6.29.17) I've read the book, which I enjoyed. I know the movie looks great, I've seen the famous window rain show. I own it on blu-ray.

COMPLETED: Aguirre: The Wrath of God; Casablanca; After Hours; Schindler's List
Letterboxd

awesmoe posted:

Jackie Brown [1997] - tarantino spot

Luckily for you, this is better than the other Tarantino's you've watched already, and is a strong contender for his best film. Highly underrated.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad someone gave Basebf555 Barton Fink. It's like the Coen Bros said "Hey, we should make a David Lynch film." I still don't understand all of it, and I love it for that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

For someone going through the major horror franchises from the 80's for the first time, Friday the 13th is definitely going to stand out as the weakest(just referring to the original, not the series as a whole). Both Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street make it look like poo poo, and so do Hellraiser and Child's Play in my opinion. Phantasm(released in 79 but whatever) too for that matter.

Yeah, Friday the 13th was big because it came out right after Halloween and before the other iconic slashers. The 2nd film is what solidified the formula, 3 put it in 3D, 4 mastered it, and everything after that was a deconstruction of the premise. It's a fun series to go through.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jurgan posted:

The first Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street are pretty much perfect. I've avoided the sequels because I don't want to ruin them retroactively. I refuse to believe that Laurie Strode is Michael's sister and he's killing on orders of a cult.

Nightmare 3 is better than the original.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I watched Barton Fink, by the Coen Brothers.

I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!

Sometimes it gets so hot I want to crawl right out of my skin.

An few important details, at least to my reading of the film: Barton Fink claims to want to write for the common man, but he himself is not a "common man". His family is well-to-do, he writes entertainment for the upper-middle and upper class, so they can mentally masturbate to the concept of the working class without actively participating or being involved with it. He puts himself in a lovely hotel like he's a martyr for the lower-class, like he's trying to fit within a pre-conceived mold (but it's a hotel, he can check out at any time, it's not his home). He has lofty goals of being a great writer, and believe he can create a masterpiece from a B-movie (even though boxing movies of the 50's and 60's were ALWAYS B-movies; even Kubrick's boxing noir is a B-movie). He claims, at the end, that he has written his greatest work yet, but there's a detail that the viewer may not catch until they've seen it a few more times: the dialogue, the prose, the ideas are all the same from his last play. He has been in hell, he has lost almost everything (or has he?), his preconceived notions were tested and bested, and his writing may be more authentic, but it's still the same story, just with boxing thrown in. It's one of the movie's biggest ironies--Barton's "masterpiece" is just a re-write. He has fulfilled the writer's joke that every author only has one good story in them, and they're just repeating it.

edit: Two more things:

Barton Fink is the closest we'll probably ever get to a Coen Bros horror film, except for maybe Blood Simple.

To get meta with it: The Coen Bros wrote Barton Fink, a story of a writer with writer's block, while they were writing Miller's Crossing and experiencing writer's block after the first act.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 14, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FancyMike posted:

Are any of the Halloween sequels good?

As BF mentioned, it's a series with diminishing returns as they progress. Halloween is a stone-cold classic, arguably the best slasher. I really love 3 now, it's probably my 2nd favorite of the series. Part 2 is also really good, maintains the tone of the original but getting a little dirtier, grittier, and increases the color palette a little bit.

Personally I've enjoyed Part 4, and to a lesser extent 5, and H20 is decent. 6 and Resurrection are god-awful.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

friendo55 posted:

Inland Empire [2006] - **NEW** (2017.07.29) - a lengthy nightmarish Lynch film that I want to see, but can never bring myself to want to start it..

It's a big movie, and I would need a push to revisit it. Here's your push. Dive in. I hope you enjoy it.

Ikiru (1952) dir. A. Kurosawa

This movie is quiet and contemplative, so it took me a few attempts to get through it (starting from the beginning each time, because I genuinely enjoyed each time I watched it). Not as depressing as I thought it would be--there are moments of life, levity, and humor--but it's still a tragedy about how we live our lives as walking corpses, as well as a critique of the bureaucratic process. Beautifully shot, I the camera work was perfect. I want to watch more Kurosawa in the near future. This has surpassed Seven Samurai and Yojimbo.

My List

Raging Bull (1980) - (8.1.17) Trying to fill in my Scorsese gaps

Tootsie (1982) - (8.1.17) A comedy classic(?) I've never seen. I like Dustin Hoffman in everything I've seen him in, but he's not someone I seek out.

The French Connection (1971) - (7.2.17) I have only seen William Friedkin's The Exorcist and The Hunted; I've been excited to watch this since his appearance on WTF podcast. I own it on DVD.

Night of the Hunter (1955) - (6.22.17) The classic thriller/horror I've never seen. Seeing this in theaters this week.

COMPLETED: Aguirre: The Wrath of God; Casablanca; After Hours; Schindler's List; Ikiru
Letterboxd

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 2, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Goon Danton posted:

9) The Act of Killing: I know the premise, but it sounds like something that needs to be seen to be understood. (added 4/29/17)

Enjoy.

F for Fake (1973) dir. O. Welles

I wasn't quite expecting that. It somehow slipped my mind that this is a documentary, or more specifically a partly fictionalized documentary. A meditation on art, the worth of art, the creation of art, and art criticism, but also story-telling, presentation, acting, truth, and the value of truth. A non-linear dense collage of performances both true and false, that forms into a story of several art forgers. I don't have much to say about the film, it's still pretty fresh. I loved it. I wasn't expecting it to be as challenging and unique, and yet it was a sublime experience letting the story wash over me. The disorienting introduction (which reminded me of a more lucid Persona) and the Picasso story at the end were amazing. Kinda takes the steam away from Exit Through The Gift Shop knowing it had been accomplished better and more wild decades before. I am excited to explore more of Welles's works.

My List

Philadelphia (1993; J. Demme) - (8.21.17) Trying to fill in my Jonathan Demme gaps. A huge moment in Tom Hanks's career that seems to have been forgotten by modern audiences.

Raging Bull (1980; M. Scorsese) - (8.1.17) Trying to fill in my Scorsese gaps

Tootsie (1982; S. Pollack) - (8.1.17) A comedy classic(?) I've never seen. I like Dustin Hoffman in everything I've seen him in, but he's not someone I seek out.

The French Connection (1971; W. Friedkin) - (7.2.17) I have only seen William Friedkin's The Exorcist and The Hunted; I've been excited to watch this since his appearance on WTF podcast. I own it on DVD.

In Cold Blood (1967; R. Brooks) - (6.29.17) I've read the book, which I enjoyed. I know the movie looks great, I've seen the famous window rain show. I own it on blu-ray.

The Thin Red Line (1998; T. Malick) - (6.27.17) My only Terrence Malick film I've seen is Tree of Life, which I really enjoyed.

Fitzcarraldo (1982; W. Herzog) - (6.23.17) The other big Werner Herzog narrative I haven't seen.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948; J. Huston) - (6.22.17) I rarely feel in the mood to watch westerns.

Lawrence of Arabia (1962; D. Lean) - (6.22.17) It's looooong and sounds kinda boring.

The Seventh Seal (1957; I. Bergman) - (6.22.17) Just watched Persona recently. I'm borrowing the Criterion blu-ray of this right now, so it's a high priority.

COMPLETED: Aguirre: The Wrath of God; Casablanca; After Hours; Schindler's List; Ikiru; F for Fake
Letterboxd

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 22, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Goon Danton posted:

The Act of Killing question: looks like there's a theatrical/director's cuts out there. Is there a consensus on the "better" version? Or should I stick with my normal "theatrical cut, unless it's Ridley Scott" rule?

I like the Director's Cut more.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The director's cut adds more interviews and blurs the line a little more. I didn't want to tell you that before you saw it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Bronson: Love Refn's recent work, been meaning to check out Bronson for a long time.

You're in for a treat.

Raging Bull (1980) dir. M. Scorsese

I'm a fan of any Scorsese / De Niro team up. Uncle Boogeyman told me that this is probably the best film of the '80's, and it's hard to disagree. Beautifully shot in Black and White like the boxing movies of the '40's and '50's, during which this takes place. De Niro is captivating as usual, Joe Pesci plays another great supporting man, in probably the most positive role he ever performed for Scorsese. The tale isn't new for Scorsese--the rise and fall of a man obsessed with success at the price of everything he loves. What makes this unique to Goodfellas and Casino is the lack of grandeur. It's not selling flashy dreams or putting a shiny coat on destruction; the journey is painful and gritty. There were several moments that made me cringe: LaMotta punching the cement wall, his final bout, his attack on his brother. The film is drenched in blood and sweat. The classical soundtrack is perfect.

My List

Stranger Than Paradise (1984; J. Jarmusch; Criterion) - (8.25.17) I love everything I've seen of Jim Jarmusch, which only amounts to 5 films. This is his first film. I've only seen the first 15 minutes.

Philadelphia (1993; J. Demme) - (8.21.17) Trying to fill in my Jonathan Demme gaps. A huge moment in Tom Hanks's career that seems to have been forgotten by modern audiences.

Tootsie (1982; S. Pollack; Criterion) - (8.1.17) A comedy classic(?) I've never seen. I like Dustin Hoffman in everything I've seen him in, but he's not someone I seek out.

The French Connection (1971; W. Friedkin) - (7.2.17) I have only seen William Friedkin's The Exorcist and The Hunted; I've been excited to watch this since his appearance on WTF podcast. I own it on DVD.

In Cold Blood (1967; R. Brooks; Criterion) - (6.29.17) I've read the book, which I enjoyed. I know the movie looks great, I've seen the famous window rain show. I own it on blu-ray.

The Thin Red Line (1998; T. Malick; Criterion) - (6.27.17) My only Terrence Malick film I've seen is Tree of Life, which I really enjoyed.

Fitzcarraldo (1982; W. Herzog; Criterion) - (6.23.17) The other big Werner Herzog narrative I haven't seen.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948; J. Huston) - (6.22.17) I rarely feel in the mood to watch westerns.

Lawrence of Arabia (1962; D. Lean;) - (6.22.17) It's looooong and sounds kinda boring.

The Seventh Seal (1957; I. Bergman; Criterion) - (6.22.17) Just watched Persona recently. I'm borrowing the Criterion blu-ray of this right now, so it's a high priority.

COMPLETED: Aguirre: The Wrath of God; Casablanca; After Hours; Schindler's List; Ikiru; F for Fake; Raging Bull
Letterboxd

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

friendo55 posted:

I would say, for next time, just watch this on your own without posting it here! lol hopefully you're still borrowing it? I'll choose it for you anyway. Seventh Seal was my first Bergman and I wish it wasn't, so I'm curious as to your take.

FINALLY. Yeah, I still have the copy. My buddy hasn't asked for it back.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Goon Danton posted:

4) Eyes Wide Shut: Kubrick is a pretty cool guy. (added 7/7/14)

Keep in mind that it's not all meant to be taken seriously--a thing I think audiences missed when it first came out. Steve Martin was the first idea for the lead character, even. It's a dark (semi-sardonic) sex comedy that only Kubrick could have made.

The Seventh Seal (1957; I. Bergman; Criterion)

I really liked the film, but did not love it. I've experienced most of it through cultural osmosis. This is a film that should be experienced with a nice cup of coffee in the middle of the day, not at night after a long day's work, so I wasn't in the right mood, honestly. Anyway--

The imagery was beautiful; I wouldn't expect any less from Bergman. There is a meditation of death and suffering throughout the film, but it's never grim until the ending, when death draws near his inevitable victory. There is still joy in spite of death: family, youth, love, art, music, friendship, lust, laughter... I was actually surprised with how funny the middle of the movie is. The movie also has it's cruelty: witch hunts, plagues, torture, the threat of rape, murder, mocking cruelty... It's an all-encompassing tale of Life through Suffering.

Normally I'm really into this stuff, but I should have waited for the weekend to actually sit and enjoy this and think about it. That's what I get for assuming I could easily digest a 90-minute Bergman. Still, I will gladly rewatch this film sometime soon. It rightly deserves it's place as One of the Greats.

My List

Akira (1988; Katsuhiro Ōtomo) - (8.31.17) I wanted to add some classic animated movies I haven't seen, this being the BIG one I've missed out on.

Stranger Than Paradise (1984; J. Jarmusch; Criterion) - (8.25.17) I love everything I've seen of Jim Jarmusch, which only amounts to 5 films. This is his first film. I've only seen the first 15 minutes.

Tootsie (1982; S. Pollack; Criterion) - (8.1.17) A comedy classic(?) I've never seen. I like Dustin Hoffman in everything I've seen him in, but he's not someone I seek out.

In Cold Blood (1967; R. Brooks; Criterion) - (6.29.17) I've read the book, which I enjoyed. I know the movie looks great, I've seen the famous window rain show. I own it on blu-ray.

The Thin Red Line (1998; T. Malick; Criterion) - (6.27.17) My only Terrence Malick film I've seen is Tree of Life, which I really enjoyed.

Fitzcarraldo (1982; W. Herzog; Criterion) - (6.23.17) The other big Werner Herzog narrative I haven't seen.

Lawrence of Arabia (1962; D. Lean;) - (6.22.17) It's looooong and sounds kinda boring.

COMPLETED: Aguirre: The Wrath of God; Casablanca; After Hours; Schindler's List; Ikiru; F for Fake; Raging Bull; The Seventh Seal
Letterboxd

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I enjoyed Seventh Seal well enough, but yea I wouldn't consider it anywhere near my favorite Bergman. His later stuff connects with me a lot more, Fanny and Alexander and Autumn Sonata are two that come to mind immediately. But Persona is an earlier one that I'd also say is way better than Seventh Seal. So yea, it's very good but for a legend like Bergman it's not his best imo.

Persona is overwhelming in every way--emotionally, sensually, mentally, etc.--and it's such a puzzling and rewarding experience. That's partly why I waited so long for Seventh Seal, which was a disappointment in that respect. It'd probably be a (minor) masterpiece for a director that wasn't Bergman

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

Octopussy - Something about jewels. 10/28/17

Lucky for you, this just got added to Amazon Prime again! I also chose it because I plan on rewatching it very soon (I'm going through the Bonds chronologically.)

After a long break and an October challenge, I'm ready to watch some classics again!

Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948; J. Huston)

Not a western! Not really, anyway, but it does take place out west. Gold does evil to a man's soul! Lies, betrayal, paranoia, all in the name of greed. It's interesting to see how they handled stories in the 1940's. The drama isn't in finding gold, they spend maybe 20 minutes with that as a goal. As soon as they get to work, the gold appears and they've turned a profit. This leaves the second half of the film completely open to the growing rivalries and deception among the men. Bogart was amazing again, and I'm happy I've been able to watch more movies with him in it (thanks to this thread).

My List

Monsier Hulot's Holiday (1953; J. Tati; Criterion) - (11.7.17) A lot of my favorite director's love this little comedy, and I needed something on this list from the 50's

Akira (1988; Katsuhiro Ōtomo) - (8.31.17) I wanted to add some classic animated movies I haven't seen, this being the BIG one I've missed out on.

COMPLETED: Aguirre: The Wrath of God; Casablanca; After Hours; Schindler's List; Ikiru; F for Fake; Raging Bull; The Seventh Seal; Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Letterboxd

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Trap sprung motherfucker! I've been lying in wait...

Don't put too much pressure on yourself to like it, but also be open to having your mind blown. Your pre-Lawrence era will soon be over, get ready for the post-Lawrence era.

:argh: Got me good, fucker! I knew this day would come!

It's still streaming on Starz through Prime, so I'll probably knock this out this weekend!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jurgan posted:

120. The Straight Story- Doug Walker described this as "a movie that seems really slow and tedious until you get to the end, and then you realize everything that happened was for a reason." So that interested me. Also, it's by David Lynch, who ranges from excellent (Mulholland Drive, Twin Peaks Season One) to pretty good (Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks Season Two). No, I've never seen Dune, why do you ask?

I can't believe you're making me pick between Boogie Nights and The Straight Story, but since you're own description is the best setup for the movie (and to honor the recently deceased Harry Dean Stanton), you're going on a existential road trip on a John Deer.

It took me all day but I finally watched

Lawrence of Arabia (1962; D. Lean;)

Certainly not what I expected. I was expecting this to be more heroic, and the almost 4 hour run-time made me expect...a story more epic in action than depth with characterization. Something closer to Sparticus than Barry Lyndon. I don't mean this to be a knock against the movie at all; I'm a big fan of The Rise and Fall of "____" stories with murky characters with selfish morality, much like what Scorsese has made a career out of, as well as There Will Be Blood, Scarface, etc. While not as violent as those movies, Lawrence is certainly as dark. Lawrence is an outsider, understood by no one though he's praised as a Messiah figure. He can't fulfill the claim of being a hero, nor is he capable of refuting it; he does in fact want to be this godly force everyone says he is. His hands are filled with much blood as his journey in the desert seems to go on and on without end, with innumerable sacrifices to pay to survive. In all honesty, I couldn't understand much of the British army's strategies and machinations, and felt lost during a few of the feuds within Lawrence's allies. Not that I really had anyone to root for in this film.

Aesthetically, this movie is indeed a masterpiece. Some of the setups are equally gorgeous and fascinating. A lot of time and work went into this film's look and feel--which is massive and intimidating, especially with the vastness of the the desert fueling a sense of isolation.

This is certainly deserving of a classic, and it's a visual masterpiece; but it's run time is a huge undertaking, that if I were to revisit it, it would be over multiple viewings. Though I don't really count that against the film. I am very happy to have finally experienced this epic story.

My List

Sideways (2004; A. Payne) - (11.19.17) Can it really be as good as everyone says it is? I liked Nebraska and About Schmidt

Monsier Hulot's Holiday (1953; J. Tati; Criterion) - (11.7.17) A lot of my favorite director's love this little comedy, and I needed something on this list from the 50's

Philadelphia (1993; J. Demme) - (8.21.17) Trying to fill in my Jonathan Demme gaps. A huge moment in Tom Hanks's career that seems to have been forgotten by modern audiences. (Currently on Prime)

COMPLETED: Aguirre: The Wrath of God; Casablanca; After Hours; Schindler's List; Ikiru; F for Fake; Raging Bull; The Seventh Seal; Treasure of the Sierra Madre; Lawrence of Arabia
Letterboxd

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

If you ever get a chance to see this on the big screen, please do so - it's great at home but in the cinema it takes on a scope and range that's almost hypnotic.

I had this exact thought as soon as they do the reveal of him on the camel in the first 10 minutes. If I get the chance, I'll see it in theaters (if there's an intermission).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I didn't think it was possible for someone in CineD to have never seen The Wizard of Oz, but here we are.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You're never gonna watch Watchmen, huh?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I agree. No worries, they're doing a Watchmen mini-series remake now.

(They should have made it a mini-series to begin with.)

(It will probably continue after the story proper and drive the story into the ground)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The deer scene in The Straight Story is one of the funniest moments in cinema history.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I also think Casino is better than Goodfellas.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
After watching documentaries like Life After Porn, the ending to Boogie Nights where they eventually go back to making porn is pretty realistic to the industry, and it also emphasizes the cyclical nature of the industry, as well as the characters of the film. Purgatory, while not literal, is a good thematic descriptor for these people.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Why were you expecting a strident morality play?

Listening to PTA talk about the porn industry is fascinating. He's in awe with it as a form of art and entertainment. He was in his 20's when he did those interviews, so who knows how he feels now, but listening to a few minutes of it, morality was never the intention.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

bitterandtwisted posted:

Carrie (1976)

The opening credits is a shower-room full of naked girls frolicking. It's extremely trashy and the juxtaposition with Carrie's nude scene immediately after, which is a serious and distressing one, is very weird and doesn't work for me.

Have you considered that it's not trashy, and that the juxtaposition is that the other girls are actually comfortable with their bodies and each other, whereas Carrie is still innocent to a fault and terrified of her body?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dmitri Russkie posted:

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen - Been a while since I saw a Terry Gilliam movie.

While Brazil is still my favorite, this is one of his bests.

The French Connection (1971; W. Friedkin)

This could have been called The Running Man! :smug:

The majority of this movie is chases, stalking, and more chases. Lots of running around. It manages to keep up the tension without modern conventions that are seemingly mandatory, like a loud bass and percussion heavy soundtrack, fast camera, quick cuts, etc. Though the camera moves with the characters, running alongside them (until the characters leave them behind), most of the framing is detached from the action; The Raid, for instance, keeps the characters as close to the camera to fill up the frame (while keeping the action clear) and add to the claustrophobia and the danger. The French Connection is quieter. It's plot is simple: two law enforcers from the narcotics division want a big break. Popeye has a hunch that a major drug deal is happening with some elites and business owners he's familiar with, and he wants to do anything he can to prove it. The rest of the movie, we follow Popeye's investigation as he tries to piece everything together. He grows in desperation, paranoia, and grows more dangerous and reckless as he gets closer to a truth. However, he isn't our only perspective. We do get to see the drug deals happen. These moments confused me quite a bit, if only because I wonder (especially with how the film concludes), if these moments are factual and happen, or if we are embracing Popeye's theories beyond what's actually there. That level of doubt is fully within the film's intention, I believe. Popeye, though he his intentions provide a pragmatic good, his attempts to get answers are frankly dangerous and just as harmful as the drug dealer's he wants to bring to light. The third act begins with a fantastic bang wit--the introduction of a sniper--which sets off the action that the film is notorious for. It's a drat good final act. It's a shame that a movie like this wouldn't get made today. It doesn't glorify any of the police officers. The police procedural aspects are dry (as they should be; Popeye doesn't seem to care for them). Most of the action is stalking, looking for clues, following people without trying to get caught. And yet the stakes feel high once they're set in place.

Owen Roizman's cinematography is fantastic. There were a lot of cool framing devices that really clicked with me. A favorite of mine is, after the big car/train chase scene, the camera focuses on Popeye standing in the street looking up at the train, then pans to see the sniper exit the train. Then we do quick cuts between the two as they start walking. The second time we cut to Popeye, the camera pans up again, and we see the sniper has made his way to the top of the stairs. Excellent excellent excellent.

Also, Gene Hackman and Roy Scheider kill it in their roles.

My List

In The Mood For Love (2000; Wong Kar-wai; Criterion) - (1.4.18) Chris Doyle cinematography? Beautiful melancholy? I also need to explore more Asian cinema, and this is a Hong Kong classic.

Sideways (2004; A. Payne) - (11.19.17) Can it really be as good as everyone says it is? I liked Nebraska and About Schmidt

Philadelphia (1993; J. Demme) - (8.21.17) Trying to fill in my Jonathan Demme gaps. A huge moment in Tom Hanks's career that seems to have been forgotten by modern audiences. (Currently on Prime)

COMPLETED: Aguirre: The Wrath of God; Casablanca; After Hours; Schindler's List; Ikiru; F for Fake; Raging Bull; The Seventh Seal; Treasure of the Sierra Madre; Lawrence of Arabia; The French Connection
Letterboxd

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FancyMike posted:

Adaptation - Kaufman + Cage

Easily one of my all-time favorites.

In The Mood For Love (2000; Wong Kar-Wai)

I have a lot of feelings from this movie, but it's hard to articulate them. It captures the complexities of unrequited love with charm, poignancy and melancholy. The main characters, Chow and Su, have a beautiful chemistry and connection, and yet can never fully indulge in their romance. The story's simplicity allows every other aspect of the film to shine. The acting is phenomenal, as I was lost in the romance with the leads. The editing is brilliant. The cinematography was clever, every frame was well crafted and original. The music was beautiful. Every aspect of the film deserves high praise.

The movie is still fresh in my mind, so hopefully as it settles and I have time to think about it, I can discuss it with more depth.

Wonderful movie.

My List

Stalker (1979; Andrei Tarkovsky; Criterion) - (1.12.18) Everyone says this is a beautiful masterpiece.

COMPLETED: Aguirre: The Wrath of God; Casablanca; After Hours; Schindler's List; Ikiru; F for Fake; Raging Bull; The Seventh Seal; Treasure of the Sierra Madre; Lawrence of Arabia; The French Connection; In The Mood For Love
Letterboxd

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Fran you have the juiciest list in the thread as far as stuff I want to assign to you so that I can live vicariously through someone seeing them for the first time. Especially Stalker.

That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Don't get too excited, Stalker's another long one!

I'm gonna get going on writing up Man of All Seasons so someone may jump in before I can do it though.

I've been on a long-movie streak lately. So if it happens, I'm ready.

:getin:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FancyMike posted:

I don't know, I rewatched it recently and the kid at the end really stuck out to me.

You are very right. There's enough negative space to infer either. I think that may even add a layer of melancholy to the whole thing for me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

BBC Culture: The 100 Greatest American Films (99/100 completed):

#70 The Band Wagon - A musical comedy. 8/22/17

I haven't seen this, but it'll finish off your list for you.

Stalker (1979; Andrei Tarkovsky)

A strange and unsettling movie that builds dread from the unknown, unseen, implied, and imagined. The story is disorienting. The long takes are fascinating. The movie looks amazing. There are philosophical questions about the nature of greed, the practicality of miracles, the dangers of wish-fulfillment, the existential dread of boredom, depression, and a hopeless world. It's a heavy movie with many questions, but not many answers. In fact, it's final scenes are some of its most enigmatic.

I'm excited to watch this again and see if it clicks more for me. This is a movie with many layers to peel back with multiple viewings.

My List

Bicycle Thieves (1948; Vittorio De Sica; Criterion) - (1.21.18) The mandatory film school movie.

COMPLETED: Aguirre: The Wrath of God; Casablanca; After Hours; Schindler's List; Ikiru; F for Fake; Raging Bull; The Seventh Seal; Treasure of the Sierra Madre; Lawrence of Arabia; The French Connection; In The Mood For Love; Stalker
Letterboxd

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Stalker did strange things to my mind, it's like the movie itself is The Zone. Watched it 6 months ago, was absolutely blown away. Since then, I've thought about the movie at least once every few days, and I say to myself "you gotta watch that again sometime soon".

There's a part of me that enjoys the fact that the film is not overly defined in my mind, it's always in flux. The way I think about it changes from day to day, different aspects come into my head and the fall away and are replaced by others. And yet I'm drawn back to it, I feel compelled to return to The Zone.

I find it very hard to discuss it with just one viewing. As you said, the ideas in the film and the film itself are constantly shifting. Nothing extraordinary is shown at all. And yet there seems to be unspeakable horrors just out of frame. I really love how it breaks so many conventions of film-making and storytelling. The characters are in turn specific and abstract. They are grappling with their own ideas, but are surrounded by a world where ideas are in constant flux, and they themselves are in constant flux and disharmony with themselves.

Everything about The Zone and The Room was absolutely fascinating. That comprises my favorite parts, actually. Normally I drool over symbolic characters theorizing on life and existence, but a lot of those scenes bounced off my head, while stories of people coming to The Room to have their wishes fulfilled had me on edge.

It's also a very bleak and misanthropic film; much more than I was expecting. While nothing overtly cruel or "evil" happens, the idea of mankind being without any hope--even when they are provided a reality-bending promise to have anything they desire--and a person who's whole existence is repeatedly experience the tribulations with them, attempting to provide a change, only for them to still lose hope and embrace sadness, is just soul-crushing.

I also have no idea what I should make of Monkey or her ending. Or the black dog.

Very rarely do I watch a movie that just unsettles me to my core and kinda makes my brain spin in an attempt to understand it. And you weren't kidding that it's a long movie. I read that in it's 160 minute run-time there's only 146 cuts in the whole thing.

Jurgan posted:

Unlike the disappointing Frankenstein, Dracula (1931) holds up very well.

This is very surprising to me. I think Frankenstein is much better than Dracula. That said, Bride of Frankenstein is better than both. The only Universal monster movie I actually dislike is The Mummy.