Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Why not.

Jeff Wiiver: I want to say 8 1/2, because it is definitely my favorite of the films on your list, but I think it will work best when you stumble upon it all on your own, rather than being told it is great or to watch it. Therefore, you get Godfather II. When I was younger, I thought it was better than the first film. Now I prefer the tight perfection of the first, even if Part II is a lot more ambitious. Either way, still a great film, and perhaps even better performances than the first one.

Over the weekend one of my friends got married. He works in film, a lot of his film/television friends were around, saw some people I went to film school with that I hadn't seen in years. Eventually a few of us get to talking and drinking, and we basically did the "yeah you need to see this" game. So, here are ten films I remember coming up over the weekend that at least one person said I should see. They are all fairly recent, I'm afraid, but whatever, it's easier for me to do the list this way. A few of these are movies that have been in my queue for years and for some reason I've never made it to them, others were films I had heard about but never had a desire to see. Either way, might as well leave it up to chance with the next poster.

The Sweet Hereafter - I've never seen any Atom Egoyan films, but this has always been the one I'm most interested in. A friend loves this movie, I've always heard great things about the book, I have no idea why it has taken me so long to see it.

Elephant - I saw Paranoid Park a year ago or so, and something clicked. Since then, I've been going back and watching, rewatching his films as time permits. Mala Noche was interesting, My Own Private Idaho was much more amazing than my 12-13 year old self remembered, and I even had a thing for Last Days. Yet, somehow, I haven't made it around to see Elephant or Gerry, and it seems that most people I've told this think Elephant might be his best film. I guess you can throw Gerry on here as well.

Talk to her - I've watched a couple Almodovar films in film school. I've realized that there are a lot of movies I saw in film school that I completely didn't appreciate, whether because I've matured since then, or because I was simply being overloaded with movies. I wasn't a huge fan of the movies I saw from what I remember, but time to get back on the saddle.

Dogville - I love Lars Von Trier probably because I hate him so much. That makes no sense, but I'm pretty sure everyone knows what I mean. Breaking the Waves is one I need to revisit (another film school movie), the Five Obstructions was cool, and Antichrist had something going on, but why not break my cherry and dive head-first. I guess throw Dancer in the Dark in this as well (I love Bjork), and Manderlay instead of Dogville if that is the first one (I'm pretty sure it is the second).

The New World - Badlands is one of my favorite movies ever. Days of Heaven is beautiful. The Thin Red Line grows on me every year. I have no excuse for not seeing this one yet (hell, I've even been a longtime Colin Farrell fan since Tigerland).

Yi Yi - I know it's from a Taiwanese filmmaker, and people seem to love it. That's about it.

Spring Summer Fall Winter and Spring - Is he also a Taiwanese filmmaker, or is this a Korean film? I remember wanting to see this when it was in theaters, I know its an episodic film in different stages of life, I don't want to know more. It's probably been in my netflix queue for a couple years at least.

In the Bedroom - I've been saying I would watch this film since it came out. Someday I will get to it. I don't know what to say other than everything I know about it appeals to me. I guess I just haven't been in the mood for the last decade.

4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days - I want to see it, but I don't want to watch it. This is probably the movie on this list I feel most ashamed about not having seen yet.

The Piano Teacher - Oh Haneke, we started off wrong. I saw Funny Games in film school, thought it was clever, and moved on. I watched Cache a few years ago, and was loving floored (actually, now that I think about it, it probably took about a week before I realized how much I loved Cache). Still haven't seen anything of his since (actually, I saw most of the Funny Games remake because I went to a friends and they had it on, but I wasn't any more or less impressed than what I remembered from the first one). Figure this is as good a place as any to continue down the rabbit hole.

I guess my only caveat is that I've been really loving busy lately. It might take me a week or two to get to the movie.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Well, there are Truffaut people and there are Godard people. It's rare to find someone who loves both. Almost every Godard movie has left me cold.

Also, this is about as close to a film nerd truism as there can be (other than that Kubrick to Kurosawa to XXX flowchart thing I remember from years ago).

Godard can make me go "alright, I see what you are doing, that is cool." Truffaut, though, literally makes me get warm and tingly inside - his joy in filmmaking is so infectuous that I can't help but smile along with him when I watch his movies. The older I get, the more I appreciate that passion.

Aces High posted:

Voodoofly, see The New World because it is a slow movie... well I've got nothing else to say for it really

I knew that I should have kept The New World and Talk to Her off that list! Those were probably the ones I least wanted someone to pick.

Oh well, the sooner I see it, the sooner I replace it.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 5, 2010

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Aces High posted:

Voodoofly, see The New World because it is a slow movie... well I've got nothing else to say for it really

Anyone know if you can get the extended version on Netflix? The one they sent me was the theatrical release, and I'd rather see the other version first.

If not, I think someone needs to pick a new movie for me from the list:

Voodoofly posted:

The Sweet Hereafter - I've never seen any Atom Egoyan films, but this has always been the one I'm most interested in. A friend loves this movie, I've always heard great things about the book, I have no idea why it has taken me so long to see it.

Elephant - I saw Paranoid Park a year ago or so, and something clicked. Since then, I've been going back and watching, rewatching his films as time permits. Mala Noche was interesting, My Own Private Idaho was much more amazing than my 12-13 year old self remembered, and I even had a thing for Last Days. Yet, somehow, I haven't made it around to see Elephant or Gerry, and it seems that most people I've told this think Elephant might be his best film. I guess you can throw Gerry on here as well.

Talk to her - I've watched a couple Almodovar films in film school. I've realized that there are a lot of movies I saw in film school that I completely didn't appreciate, whether because I've matured since then, or because I was simply being overloaded with movies. I wasn't a huge fan of the movies I saw from what I remember, but time to get back on the saddle.

Dogville - I love Lars Von Trier probably because I hate him so much. That makes no sense, but I'm pretty sure everyone knows what I mean. Breaking the Waves is one I need to revisit (another film school movie), the Five Obstructions was cool, and Antichrist had something going on, but why not break my cherry and dive head-first. I guess throw Dancer in the Dark in this as well (I love Bjork), and Manderlay instead of Dogville if that is the first one (I'm pretty sure it is the second).

The New World - Badlands is one of my favorite movies ever. Days of Heaven is beautiful. The Thin Red Line grows on me every year. I have no excuse for not seeing this one yet (hell, I've even been a longtime Colin Farrell fan since Tigerland).

Yi Yi - I know it's from a Taiwanese filmmaker, and people seem to love it. That's about it.

Spring Summer Fall Winter and Spring - Is he also a Taiwanese filmmaker, or is this a Korean film? I remember wanting to see this when it was in theaters, I know its an episodic film in different stages of life, I don't want to know more. It's probably been in my netflix queue for a couple years at least.

In the Bedroom - I've been saying I would watch this film since it came out. Someday I will get to it. I don't know what to say other than everything I know about it appeals to me. I guess I just haven't been in the mood for the last decade.

4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days - I want to see it, but I don't want to watch it. This is probably the movie on this list I feel most ashamed about not having seen yet.

The Piano Teacher - Oh Haneke, we started off wrong. I saw Funny Games in film school, thought it was clever, and moved on. I watched Cache a few years ago, and was loving floored (actually, now that I think about it, it probably took about a week before I realized how much I loved Cache). Still haven't seen anything of his since (actually, I saw most of the Funny Games remake because I went to a friends and they had it on, but I wasn't any more or less impressed than what I remembered from the first one). Figure this is as good a place as any to continue down the rabbit hole.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Alright, after multiple people telling me to wait for the Extended Edition, I'm passing on The New World because Netflix only has the theatrical release.

Awcko, you get The Godfather (the first one - if you want to continue on that's on you, but I'd say seriously consider watching some other movies on that list before venturing into Part 3).

Here is my list, updated:

Voodoofly posted:

Billy Liar - I've always wanted to dive into some of the Angry Young Man / Kitchen Sink movies (having only seen The Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner, which I remember the 18 year old me thought was amazing). It was this, Saturday Night or Sunday Morning, Look Back in Anger, This Sporting Life, or If..., so I went with the one listed as a comedy.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

The Bluray's around average Bluray price, but the DVD's maybe :10bux:

I don't think I want to buy a Mailick movie on DVD, and over the last couple years I've finally kicked that "buying movies left and right" addiction - I rarely/never buy a movie blind anymore.

And even if I wasn't on a "no blind buy" mission, my Blu-Ray player is back home in Los Angeles with my fiance and my dog while I am working on a project in vegas. I'm not spending my time limited time back home watching The New World.

There will be a proper time, just not now.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

VorpalBunny posted:

Well, now you will. It's a great snapshot of the 1990s with perfect casting.

Presciently released in 1989, even!

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

The TV version is much better.

I've always wondered, what is people's take on the TV v Theater version for Scenes from a Marriage? I go back and forth - I like the TV version because I like spending time with them, but I think the Theatrical version actually might be a better movie as far as pacing and "plot" (ha) are concerned.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

ProfessorClumsy posted:

I literally like it too, so you are literally wrong. Literally.

I like the scene, I just don't like the scene in the movie - it takes too long, right when we are about to move into the last act.

Plus, the whole Coppola rant about how he hated the performances while filming from Hearts of Darkness always sneaks into my head whenever that scene comes on.

But, I'd take that scene over the Sirens/Bunnies scene anyday.

Also, I will someday get to Dogville - I just haven't had the time/desire to watch a three hour Von Trier film lately with work.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Simply a worthless post so I can hit the little upsidedown ? and find my last list.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

tokillthesunflower posted:

The 400 Blows I know next to nothing about this movie other than that Truffaut directed it.

Tokillthesunflower, have fun watching one of my favorite movies of all time. If all you know is that Truffaut directed it, stay that way until after you see the film. I hope you enjoy it.

So, almost two months later, I watched Dogville. I liked it, quite a bit. I was surprised at the amount of humor in the film (not that it was a humorous film, but there was definitely humor). I almost cried with laughter when I heard that first horn note to "Young Americans" as the titles came up.. I don't know what to think about Von Trier, but man, I respect him if nothing else. He plays by his own rules, but he always backs it up with really well made films (even if I'm not always a fan of his films). This is definitely my favorite Von Trier of the few I've seen.

I also saw Elephant about a day after I posted this list. I really, really loved Elephant (van Sant is becoming one of my favorite filmmakers). I think I still preferred Paranoid Park, and while there were a couple small elements that I personally didn't need in the film I didn't care about the Gerry video game and thought it was a little over the top, I still don't fault him for putting those elements in. Beaufiful to look at, as always.

So, updated list:

Voodoofly posted:

Naked - I've loved every Mike Leigh film I've ever seen. I like David Thewlis in all of his roles. However, while I've always known about this film, I guess, I saw it posted recently (probably in the consensus thread) and I realized I had no idea why I had not seen it yet.

Scent of Green Papaya: I've never seen a Tran film. That needs to change.

Billy Liar - I've always wanted to dive into some of the Angry Young Man / Kitchen Sink movies (having only seen The Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner, which I remember the 18 year old me thought was amazing). It was this, Saturday Night or Sunday Morning, Look Back in Anger, This Sporting Life, or If..., so I went with the one listed as a comedy.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Jumping back in this because I can't pass up a chance to make someone watch The Scent of Green Papaya.

Bastard Netflix doesn't have it available (or his other films either). FFD, want to give me another suggestion? If you don't want to go off the list I posted, I can say that I was debating between Tran and Tsai, so if you want to pick a Tsai film instead, I checked Netflix and each of the following is available and has been on my to see list for a while:

What Time is it There
Goodbye Dragon Inn
The Wayward Cloud
I Don't Want to Sleep Alone

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 11, 2010

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Seventh Seal

Wild Strawberries would be my other pick for first Bergman. I think some people are put off by the reputation of The Seventh Seal (it is a lot more fun than you might think).

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

:sigh: So, I have had What Time is it There sitting at home for about a week, but just wasn't in the mood to watch it (or any movie, really). Go to put it in this weekend, and the disc has a huge crack in it. Now time to wait for a replacement disc to arrive.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

ProfessorClumsy posted:

The Thin Red Line I've actually never seen a Terence Malick film and I figure this is where I should turn to first.

For what its worth, I'd probably start with Badlands. If nothing else, it is shorter, and if you end up really not liking Malick, might as well not subject yourself to 3 hours of him.

Also, I'm happy to announce I should get to What Time Is It There this weekend. I'll be back home in Los Angeles, fiance will be on her Bachelorette, and just me and my dog can get down to my assigned movie, a long overdue rewatch of Morvern Callar, and maybe squeeze in In the Bedroom off my list as well (already snuck in The Sweet Hereafter from my list earlier).

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Posting this so I can find my last post in this thread.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

TrixRabbi: You get The 400 Blows. It is one of my favorite films, hopefully you enjoy it.

So, after the disaster of receiving two broken "What Time is it There" dvd's from netflix, coupled with not much free time to begin with, I have decided to once again brave this thread. It may take me a while, but I will do my best.

Here is my list:

Scent of Green Papaya - I've never seen a Tran film. That needs to change. I'm not sure if this is out on DVD/Blu-Ray, though. Leaving it here just in case.

Billy Liar - Want to explore more of the Angry Young Man film scene (I've only see Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner). Figure this is as good a place to start as any.

Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles - Sounds like it is right up my alley, and stars my now realized screen crush Delphine Seyrig.

Spring Summer Fall Winter and Spring - Haven't seen a Kim Ki-Duk film, and I don't think I want to start with The Isle.

4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days - Guess it is time to take that horrible plunge into Romanian film.

The Piano Teacher - Love some Haneke films, not so much with his other films. Let's hope this is the former.

After the Wedding - Want to see some Susanne Bier. If someone else has a better starting film, I'm open to that as well.

The Man Without a Past - Same with Bier, I have never seen a Kaurismaki film. Again, if you want to recommend a better starting film, I'm all ears.

Trust - I don't know how I managed to never see a Hal Hartly film. Like as above, if there is a better starting place, recommend it.

Seen because of this thread: The Sweet Hereafter (3/5); Elephant (3.5/5); Dogville (4/5, one scene made me laugh harder than any movie in a long time); The New World (5/5); In the Bedroom (3.5/5).

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Zogo posted:

'The novel's original ending was far too controversial to be even considered for a film in 1940. It involved Rose-of-Sharon Rivers (Dorris Bowdon) giving birth to a stillborn baby and then offering her milk-filled breasts to a starving man, dying in a barn.'
:stare:

Yeah, I like the movie, but it has nothing on the book. Then again, I love Steinbeck (and Grapes of Wrath, while great, is probably my fourth or fifth favorite of his works).

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

PDMChubby posted:

Night and Fog had some pretty shocking images. I did enjoy the very Resnais-esque narration (Resnais-esque, of course, because it's a Resnais film), but this film is just so different that it's hard to say I liked or disliked much else. Documentaries are hard for me, but this one really likes to blend poetic descriptions with very bleak imagery which is a bit refreshing but at the same time it doesn't do much for me. The narration even acknowledges the film's limitations, and I guess it makes me feel less distant from the Holocaust but then again it has a tough time connecting. It still has it's shock and definitely makes the audience feel some pain for what happened--though I'm sure it was substantially more affecting in 1955.

As Night and Fog might be my favorite movie, I'll make a small comment: Night and Fog is not a Holocaust movie so mcuh as it is a movie about holocausts and genocide. It was almost certainly the first film to deal with the Holocaust in World War II in a documentary fashion, but it isn't like Shoah; Resnais was not trying to document what the specific atrocity was like for future generations to look back on. Rather, Night and Fog was trying to force viewers at that time to question why the Holocaust happened, how it could have happened, and to realize that similar genocides would happen again if people didn't actively force the world to change. Quite frankly, I think Resnais might even feel that genocide is inevitable, and maybe just wanted people to discuss that realization as well.

I'm not trying to change your stance on the film: it is difficult and everything you say is pretty spot on. I just wanted to offer a different view on the film.

You can look here if you have some desire to hear more of my thoughts. I'm just happy another person saw the film.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

PDMChubby posted:

That's an interesting perspective. I'll fully admit that I feel like I missed the point in a way... it will require a second viewing and more thinking it over, for sure. I do like your viewpoint a lot, that it's about the inevitability of the act and that it's not actually "about" what it's specifically showing at all. And, as you point out, it's not trying to be journalistic, which makes it unique given the topic and what documentaries are "supposed" to be like. Actually, my problems with it are probably more that I'm thinking of it too much as a documentary when it really isn't one at all. And also that I'm not too fond of documentaries (though that's mostly through ignorance of the genre).

I think the single biggest problem with documentaries is the name itself. Non-fiction, or essay, both seem to me a better term, but you will look like an idiot if you go around asking people what their favorite non-fiction film is (trust me). Assuming that anything that isn't a fictional film needs to be objective or journalistic would basically erase all of my favorite docs. Nobody expects that every book that isn't in the fiction section should be an objective, unbiased report on some topic or another. Sadly, that isn't the case with film.