Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I went down the IMDB 250 and took the first ten I hadn't seen entirely.

12 Angry Men - I read a story on this in school at some point so seeing the movie has never been a priority for me.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I've seen so many Jack Nicholson movies that this has also been put on the backburner.

Seven Samurai - I saw the magnificent seven a while back and avoid repetition (even though this is the original, seminal work.)

Once Upon a Time in the West - I know absolutely nothing about this film.

Sunset Blvd. - The plot from what I gathered didn't seem to interest me. Is this similar to What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

North by Northwest - Once I've seen about five movies by a director I tend to put the rest of them at the bottom of my watch list.

Vertigo - I've seen a big chunk of this on TV but not from beginning to end.

Lawrence of Arabia - I watched a good portion of this movie when I was younger.
I've seen Doctor Zhivago and The Bridge on the River Kwai multiple times so I'd probably like this too.

Amélie - I've seen this one discussed frequently and also on many top lists but kind of forgot about seeing it.

WALL-E - I rarely watch any CGI movies these days. And I avoid anything that appears to be geared towards kids.

Jay Dub posted:

8) Or David Lynch for that matter.

A few others have listed it. I recommend Blue Velvet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

12 Angry Men was pretty good. At times I felt the jurors were too thin-skinned and melodramatic. As I was watching the movie I recognized one of the voices but I couldn't place it. After looking on IMDB I saw that John Fiedler was the voice of Piglet.

Also the library had two of the other ten on my list so I watched those as well..

North by Northwest - A fake James Bond before Bond existed and it's better than any Bond. Ranks up there with Rear Window and Psycho.

WALL-E - First rate CGI but the story and the way it played out were a little too cutesy for my tastes. Could have done with less "WALL-E?!", "EVE?!" incessant shrieking from the two main characters. Humans were funny as well.

New list:

#8 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I've seen so many Jack Nicholson movies that this has also been put on the back burner. I saw the trailer once.

#13 Seven Samurai - I saw the magnificent seven many years ago on VHS and avoid repetition (even though this is the original, seminal work.)

#23 Once Upon a Time in the West - I know absolutely nothing about this film except from this thread which states that "...once Claudia Cardinale [comes] onto the screen [you] forget about the runtime..."

#30 Sunset Blvd. - The plot from what I gathered didn't seem to interest me. Is this similar to What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

#40 Vertigo - I've seen a big chunk of this on TV but not from beginning to end.

#42 Lawrence of Arabia - I watched a good portion of this movie when I was younger.
I've seen Doctor Zhivago and The Bridge on the River Kwai multiple times so I'd probably like this too.

#44 Amélie - I've seen this one discussed frequently and also on many top lists but kind of forgot about seeing it.

#48 The Shining - Hey this isn't supposed to be how this works. I watch three movies and get more embarrassed? I've actually seen a lot of the 1997 TV version. And I saw that strange gif with that bear. And I saw like 2 seconds of it in the Twister movie when they're watching it on the big screen. And I saw it on the Simpsons and elsewhere.

#49 Paths of Glory - I've heard this referenced before but know little about it.
The movie poster has Kirk Douglas with a bored look on his face.

#50. The Departed - The local library has this and every few months I see it and say "hey, I need to watch this." Then I flip it over and notice it's a fullscreen copy and fling it away in disgust. At least I touched the DVD case.

thegloaming posted:

Also I was thinking of seeing Fanny and Alexander on Instant Watch, but it's the theatrical. Should I subject myself to the 5 hour TV version instead?

Definitely. Another movie I've seen on multiple lists is Das Boot and I'd recommend anyone watching it to see one of the longer cuts rather than the theatrical.

Admin Understudy posted:

3. Tron It has to just be campy sci-fi? But is it enjoyable campy sci-fi?

I select this. Because you need at LEAST six months to digest TRON before watching TRON Legacy. TRON is always fully capped.

Ed Dillinger: Now, wait a minute, I wrote you!
Master Control Program: I've gotten 2,415 times smarter since then.
Ed Dillinger: What do you want with the Pentagon?
Master Control Program: The same thing I want with the Kremlin. I'm bored with corporations. With the information I can access, I can run things 900 to 1200 times better than any human.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I would really respect someone who stepped forward to tackle the bottom 100 of IMDB. (I have yet to see one film in the bottom 100.)

The Shining - Solid movie that kept my attention the whole time. I wouldn't say I was blown away because this is one of those movies that I've seen bits and pieces of so sadly there weren't any big surprises. Many bizarre images will stick with me though.

My initial reaction was to think that Jack was a hallucinating alcoholic until Wendy saw the bear thing? (lol) The movie feels open to much more interpretation than your average. The aspect of "shining" feels like something right out of a Stephen King novel but I don't think it was explored too deeply by Kubrick.

Funniest moment was when Wendy found the stack of papers showing Jack's literary masterpiece.

I also watched
Sunset Blvd. Excellent. I've seen a few Billy Wilder movies and this along with The Apartment are two of the best movies I've seen in the last few years. His movies maintain that timeless modern feeling.

I also thought the narration of Holden was some of the best I can remember from any movie. The scene with the dead monkey was just hilarious and unexpected..then to top it off he has some wry quizzical narration wondering if the "monkey was king-kong's grandson"..just hilarious.

found the narration:

quote:

While reading the script, the real mortician "for comedy relief" arrives with a white baby casket for the dead monkey's funeral - "It was all done with great dignity. He must have been a very important chimp, the great grandson of King Kong, maybe."

Then later Artie Green exclaims "Judas H. Priest!" I hadn't realized that this was in the vernacular before Bob Dylan's song and the group. Another scene that stuck out was when Norma sees the mic and glares at it with disdain and pushes it away. After I watched the extras on the DVD it was even more significant to realize that many of the actors were playing themselves to a degree.

New list:

#8 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I've seen so many Jack Nicholson movies that this has been put on the back burner. I saw the trailer once.

#13 Seven Samurai - I saw the Magnificent Seven many years ago on VHS and have avoided repetition (even though this is the original, seminal work.)

#23 Once Upon a Time in the West - I know absolutely nothing about this film except from this thread which states that "...once Claudia Cardinale [comes] onto the screen [you] forget about the runtime..."

#40 Vertigo - I've seen a big chunk of this on TV but not from beginning to end.

#42 Lawrence of Arabia - I watched a good portion of this movie when I was younger.

#44 Amélie - I've seen this one discussed frequently and also on many top lists but kind of forgot about seeing it.

#49 Paths of Glory - I've heard this referenced before but know little about it.

#50. The Departed - The local library has this and every few months I see it and say "hey, I need to watch this." Then I flip it over and notice it's a fullscreen copy and fling it away in disgust. At least I touched the DVD case.

#51 The Pianist - When this came out I didn't feel like seeing yet another WWII movie (I must've seen at least ten that year.) Since then I have forgotten about watching it.

#52 To Kill a Mockingbird - I've read the book and I've sat through multiple tiresome discussions on it in the classroom. I may have actually seen all of this but definitely not in one session.

Jolo posted:

10) Dawn of the Dead(Romero)

I recommend this as it's one of the best in the genre. BTW everyone I recommend a movie for disappears..I hope the same fate does not await you.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Departed - This was funny. Jack is just an obnoxious dirtbag (in a good way) My favorite scene is when he's in the theater wearing some shabby trenchcoat and tacky fishing hat talking to Matt Damon.

Frank Costello: [laughing] See anything you like, Colin?
Colin Sullivan: I almost loving shot you!
Frank Costello: You're not indulging in self-abuse, are you? I hope you're not turning into one of them sob sisters who wants to get caught. You're not cracking up, are you?
Colin Sullivan: I don't crack up.
Frank Costello: Picking a place like this, where any cop can see you. Jesus.
Colin Sullivan: If it was such a loving bad idea, why'd you show up?
Frank Costello: [turning to face Sullivan] I own the place.
Colin Sullivan: [laughs] Why am I not loving surprised? Look, I gotta tell you...

Some aspects of the movie reminded me of LA Confidential (infighting amongst the organizations, and two cops against each other who share a common girl.) Also the ending themes felt similar.

I also watched
Lawrence of Arabia - It's long (3h46m) but it didn't feel too long as everything being pictured felt important. And the pacing remained fine throughout..something that films this long can have issues with.

I thought he'd be purely a heroic character but Lawrence was portrayed as being very ambivalent and downright insane at times especially near the end of the movie.

New List:

#8 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I've seen so many Jack Nicholson movies that this has been put on the back burner. I saw the trailer once.

#13 Seven Samurai - I saw the Magnificent Seven many years ago on VHS and have avoided repetition (even though this is the original, seminal work.)

#51 The Pianist - When this came out I didn't feel like seeing yet another WWII movie (I must've seen at least ten that year.) Since then I have forgotten about watching it.

#52 To Kill a Mockingbird - I've read the book and I've sat through multiple tiresome discussions on it in the classroom. I may have actually seen all of this but definitely not in one session.

#56 The Lives of Others - I haven't heard much about this.

#66 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I know it has the famous "badges" quote. That alone hasn't been persuading enough to make me watch it.

Arkane posted:

The Graduate - I've seen the ending, just never seen the whole movie.

I choose this. I would've chosen elephant man but I haven't seen that either because elephant people frighten me.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Soy Cuba

I haven't seen any of your 10 but I'm planning to watch this. So I'll say this.

The Lives of Others-

There weren't many likable characters in this film. On one hand you have paranoid secret police/political goons and on the other you have whiny artists with a peter jackson impersonator. Both of these teams live a sad existence. The artists are bugs under a microscope hoping to avoid being smashed by the state and the government is comprised by nothing more than voyeuristic, soulless, self-serving automatons.

I get disgusted every time I think of the Berlin wall. Mainly because we have wall building proponents amongst us today and we're building walls like this in Iraq right now. We cheered back in 1989 when it fell but now we're building our own walls?

The movie is depressing and the fact that the so-called "hero" gets a book dedicated to him near the end seems trite and is not much of a consolation.

When the secret police guy gave a rundown on the printer types registered I couldn't help but recall the recent printer scandals that print yellow identifying dots that can track down what printer printed them out, where it was purchased etc.

I will say that this movie evoked a lot of political feelings out of me so it'd be good for a discussion piece..but overall it was not an enjoyable experience.

And I watched Once Upon a Time in the West -

I've seen the "Dollars Trilogy" so it was interesting seeing a Leone western without Eastwood and Van Cleef but I'd still prefer those two over this cast. Overall I found this also to be a little depressing. And Henry Fonda as one of the villains? I kept picturing the nice old senile man from On Golden Pond.

Sound effects are prominent in this film.

New List:

#49 Paths of Glory - I've heard this referenced before but know little about it. The movie poster has Kirk Douglas with a bored look on his face.

#66 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I know it has the famous "badges" quote. That alone hasn't been persuading enough to make me watch it.

#67 City Lights - Almost rented this once and then I went back later to get it and the copy inexplicably disappeared never to return.

#71 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I voted this thread 5 because it's been going on 1.5 months and I still like the concept.

Vertigo - I was excited to see this because it's #2 on the TSPDT list. I was glad the parts I had previously seen on TV did not give away any of the major plotpoints of the film.

The mystery in this film kept me interested for the whole duration. And I was surprised a couple of times.

I kind of laughed about halfway through the film it seemed like Scottie was taking far too much advantage of a presumedly mentally ill woman.

I also watched:
Amelie - It reminded me of toned down Delicatessen..then after watching it I see that the same guy directed both..so it all made sense. The style is quirky and kind of annoying at times but definitely distinctive. Amelie is kind of a busybody.

New List:

#67 City Lights - Almost rented this once and then I went back later to get it and the copy inexplicably disappeared never to return.

#71 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look.

#72 Inglourious Basterds - The trailer seemed like a giant farcical mess. And Pitt's accent during that "killing nazis" scene has been enough to hold me off on this for a year so far.

#76 Singin' in the Rain - I rarely seek out musicals. That song is like kryptonite to me.

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Taxi Driver

You can watch this NYC film. If you don't like it you may have to move out of the city.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - It was kind of a cross between Titicut Follies and Awakenings. Although these characters were much better than what was in Awakenings. I kind of got a headache after a while from all the screaming especially during the therapy sessions.

Overall, I wasn't crazy about it and am surprised that it won the "big five" of the Academy Awards.

New List:

#72 Inglourious Basterds - The trailer seemed like a giant farcical mess. And Pitt's accent during that "killing nazis" scene has been enough to hold me off on this for a year so far.

#76 Singin' in the Rain - I rarely seek out musicals. That song is like kryptonite to me.

#78 Some Like It Hot - Supposedly a monumental comedy. I've liked every Billy Wilder movie I've seen so far.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

thegloaming posted:

SPECIAL CHALLENGE: If anyone picks Berlin Alexanderplatz for Peaceful Anarchy, I will watch it too.

It looks like the time has come my friends. :laugh:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Paths of Glory - Cue snare drums. This movie by itself didn't bowl me over or anything but watching this and then realizing 30 years later he'd make Full Metal Jacket. Something about that is profound to me.

I think the one image that will stick with me was the guy propped up in a stretcher before the firing squad. Kind of pitiful.

BTW was it customary to use a whistle like that in trench warfare?

I also watched Inception - a decent movie but I'm surprised that it is currently #3 all-time. Borrows heavily from the Matrix, The Thirteenth Floor, Total Recall and Stay Tuned.

New List:

#78 Some Like It Hot - Supposedly a monumental comedy. I've liked every Billy Wilder movie I've seen so far.

#82 Up - Seems like another cutesy kids movie that I won't like. After enjoying movies like Toy Story and A Bug's Life I developed a healthy aversion to CGI at some point. Looking back I think Shrek was the turning point that made me ill towards CGI in general. I like the more traditional animated movies.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Zogo, I'm sorry you didn't like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, even though I loved it I'll admit it can get hard to take. Not sure why you're surprised by the Oscars though. Even if you didn't like it you can't deny the quality of the acting and the writing.

Don't get me wrong, it was easy to watch from beginning to end because it was constructed well. But the subject matter and ending were just too dreary on the whole for me. Also, the villain clearly and decisively wins. I don't think I'll ever like a movie set in a mental hospital.

Kind of interesting in that it parallels Silence of the Lambs in that the villain prevails.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

La hora de los hornos Now this is going to be real propaganda, and pretty long too, but the subject matter interests me so I should buckle down and give it a go.

I'll choose this because it has the fewest votes on IMDb of your ten.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

watched:
#80 Some Like It Hot - I didn't feel this was as flawless as some of the other Billy Wilder movies I've seen. About 3/4 through the movie when Lemmon really starts getting into the Daphne role was when it got funny. Maracas etc.
And the final line is one of the funniest I can recall maybe second only to "They live."

New List:

#15 Seven Samurai - I saw the Magnificent Seven many years ago on VHS and have avoided repetition (even though this is the original, seminal work.)

#53 The Pianist - When this came out I didn't feel like seeing yet another WWII movie (I must've seen at least ten that year.) Since then I have forgotten about watching it.

#55 To Kill a Mockingbird - I've read the book and I've sat through multiple tiresome discussions on it in the classroom. I may have actually seen all of this but definitely not in one session.

#67 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I know it has the famous "badges" quote. That alone hasn't been persuading enough to make me watch it.

#68 City Lights - Almost rented this once and then I went back later to get it and the copy inexplicably disappeared never to return.

#72 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look.

#78 Inglourious Basterds - The trailer seemed like a giant farcical mess. And Pitt's accent during that "killing nazis" scene has been enough to hold me off on this for a year so far.

#79 Singin' in the Rain - I rarely seek out musicals. That song is like kryptonite to me.

#84 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cutdown a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day.

#85 Up - Seems like another cutesy kids movie that I won't like. After enjoying movies like Toy Story and A Bug's Life I developed a healthy aversion to CGI at some point. Looking back I think Shrek was the turning point that made me ill towards CGI in general. I like the more traditional animated movies.

Sinfjotli posted:

3. Jacob's Ladder: I already know how it ends so I've never bothered. I think I've also heard mixed things about it.

I'll go with this.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

I liked the method Zogo's been using number the movies by when they entered the list so I'm gonna switch to that.

My numbers are what they're currently ranked on the IMDb top 250 list.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

VorpalBunny posted:

10) Bridge on the River Kwai - All I know is Alec Guiness is in it.

I'll say this.

The Pianist-
Felt more like a human terror film than your standard WWII movie. No major battle scenes but only intermittent small scale battles and aftermaths of bombings. It definitely had my undivided attention for the whole duration.

New List:

#15 Seven Samurai - I saw the Magnificent Seven many years ago on VHS and have avoided repetition (even though this is the original, seminal work.)

#55 To Kill a Mockingbird - I've read the book and I've sat through multiple tiresome discussions on it in the classroom. I may have actually seen all of this but definitely not in one session.

#67 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I know it has the famous "badges" quote. That alone hasn't been persuading enough to make me watch it.

#68 City Lights - Almost rented this once and then I went back later to get it and the copy inexplicably disappeared never to return.

#72 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look.

#78 Inglourious Basterds - The trailer seemed like a giant farcical mess. And Pitt's accent during that "killing nazis" scene has been enough to hold me off on this for a year so far.

#79 Singin' in the Rain - I rarely seek out musicals. That song is like kryptonite to me.

#84 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cutdown a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day.

#85 Up - Seems like another cutesy kids movie that I won't like. After enjoying movies like Toy Story and A Bug's Life I developed a healthy aversion to CGI at some point. Looking back I think Shrek was the turning point that made me ill towards CGI in general. I like the more traditional animated movies.

#88 Once Upon a Time in America - A friend told me about this probably a decade ago but I don't remember much of what he said.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Inglourious Basterds - Kept me entertained enough and is his strongest since Pulp Fiction IMO. I recognized a lot of music from other films used in this as well most notably "Tiger Tank" from Kelly's Heroes by Lalo Schifrin. I really like that piece.

Bad things:
Scalping grosses me out.
Pitt's accent

New List:

#88 Once Upon a Time in America - A friend told me about this probably a decade ago but I don't remember much of what he said.

#89 The Maltese Falcon - I saw some of this on TV long ago and the ending was spoiled for me. I know it has some famous quotes.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Europa '51 Another highly regarded Italian director I'm kind of meh on, but it does have Ingrid Bergman.

My divining rod told me this.

Pigeon Shamus posted:

Magical, sir, thank you. That is bookmarked for when I have enough bandwidth (stupid 2Gb weekly cap at my hall of residence).

That's too bad. Does the internet cut out if you go over the cap? Or are you penalized?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Arturo Ui posted:

Gene Wilder also seemed underutilized, as his character was mostly one joke that wasn't all that funny anyway.

He was a late replacement for Gig Young who had to be replaced due to alcohol withdrawal.

My favorite has always been History of the World: Part I.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Seven Samurai - It's ambitious and covers a lot of themes..so many that it almost felt like I was watching a TV series. I found a lot of scenes funny. I felt it dragged on a little bit after I'd seen about the tenth scene of the peasants running around frantically and the samurai getting annoyed with them.

Kikichuyo (Toshirô Mifune) was kind of a funny yet at times an annoying character. Kind of like he was in Rashomon (which I prefer a little over this.) Rashomon is one of those profound movies that I feel is completely timeless. Bottle it up and 100 years later it will still have a lot of universal meaning.

It's been a while since I saw the Magnificent Seven but the main difference I saw was that in this film the samurai were motivated primarily by altruism/duty while in the magnificent seven most of the characters seemed to have some kind of personal reason to help the villagers whether it be adventure/monetary gain etc.

I also was interested that they were using muskets/primitive guns during this time period. Makes me wonder why the samurai didn't arm themselves with them as it would be advantageous.

So all in all this was a very good movie as a I could write a lot more about it.

I also watched Singin' in the Rain - Felt more fast-paced than most of its contemporaries. I liked the scenes when they were attempting to first implement recording and when they first screened "The Dueling Cavalier."

PS Now I'm very close to a milestone. I only have Toy Story 3 left from the IMDb top 50. Out on DVD in the next month or two I guess.

New List:

#89 The Maltese Falcon - I saw some of this on TV long ago and the ending was spoiled for me. I know it has some famous quotes.

#91 All About Eve - All I know is that it beat Sunset Blvd. for best picture in its year so it better be tantalizingly good.

#94 The Elephant Man - I think my mom saw this (addicted to "based on true story"/biopics and nothing else) and told me about it when I was young. The concept frightened me but I'm genuinely interested now.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

3.) Pyscho - I've only seen North by NorthWest and Vertigo. They were both amazing and I need to see more Hitchcock.

Go ahead and watch this.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Up - Kind of a depressing movie in that Carl's wife dies and he ends up partially culpable in the death of his hero CF Muntz. I don't even understand the hangup over capturing one of those birds. I guess they needed some sort of conflict. Overall, pretty good.

New List:

#91 All About Eve - All I know is that it beat Sunset Blvd. for best picture in its year so it better be tantalizingly good.

#94 The Elephant Man - I think my mom saw this (addicted to "based on true story"/biopics and nothing else) and told me about it when I was young. The concept frightened me but I'm genuinely interested now.

#95 The Great Dictator - I think I read about this in a textbook once.

BisonDollah posted:

11. Gojira (Godzilla)

I'll say this.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

dotCommunism posted:

Stroszek - More Herzog.

I'll say this.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I liked the story and the way it unfolded for the most part. I've seen many films that share themes with this and wouldn't be surprised if they were inspired by this. Also, the film looked good. I don't know how it was shot but I just liked the look of it.

I had a little trouble swallowing the ending. Howard: "Haw haw haw..what a great story this will make!" Curtin: "I agree, okay see ya!"

New List:

#99 Rebecca - Probably the first I've posted that I know 0% about and can't even remember hearing about it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Brian Fellows posted:

10. V for Vendetta- Usually when there's a movie I'm not interested in on the IMDB top 250, I assume it'll disappear as people forget about it or realize it's not that great. This one's still here. Why?

I liked the ending of this.

"I AM NOT AN ELEPHANT!"

After watching the elephant man trudge around wearing the burlap sack on his head and the chronic bronchitis he started to remind me of a meek and mild Jason Voorhees.

It looked so similar to Jason that I have to wonder if Jason's appearance in certain films was lifted from this film..right down the burlap sack on his head with one eye slot.

During the elephant attack scenes I was wondering what was going on but then read that the mother had had an incident with an elephant while pregnant and they thought that this was why he appeared this way.

New List:

#57 To Kill a Mockingbird - I've read the book and I've sat through multiple tiresome discussions on it in the classroom. I may have actually seen all of this but definitely not in one session.

#87 Once Upon a Time in America - A friend told me about this probably a decade ago but I don't remember much of what he said.

#90 All About Eve - All I know is that it beat Sunset Blvd. for best picture in its year so it better be tantalizingly good.

#91 The Maltese Falcon - I saw some of this on TV long ago and the ending was spoiled for me. I know it has some famous quotes.

#98 Rebecca - Probably the first I've posted that I know 0% about and can't even remember hearing about it.

#99 The Sting - Saw a small portion on TV once and then I forgot about it.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 9, 2010

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Between having my wisdom teeth out and my monthlong meditation on Mulholland Drive..I disappeared from thread for a few weeks.

The Sting was good. Genuinely surprised me near the end. It was interesting that they used all of that Joplin music.

New List:

#57 To Kill a Mockingbird - I've read the book and I've sat through multiple tiresome discussions on it in the classroom. I may have actually seen all of this but definitely not in one session.

#87 Once Upon a Time in America - A friend told me about this probably a decade ago but I don't remember much of what he said.

#90 All About Eve - All I know is that it beat Sunset Blvd. for best picture in its year so it better be tantalizingly good.

#91 The Maltese Falcon - I saw some of this on TV long ago and the ending was spoiled for me. I know it has some famous quotes.

#98 Rebecca - Probably the first I've posted that I know 0% about and can't even remember hearing about it.

#109 Oldboy - I've seen music clips of this on youtube but that is all.

Sporadic posted:

The Man With No Name Trilogy

I've never been a fan of watching classic anthologies in quick succession. I like to let them sink in for a few weeks at least. But you could do all three I guess or just A Fistful of Dollars.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Once Upon a Time in America -
This could be the supreme mafia movie. I liked it better than any in the Godfather Trilogy. The kid actors in this film should've received top billing. I'd call them "young enterprising individuals." It covers so many topics smoothly. I was also impressed with how we were transitioned back and forth between three time periods so effortlessly. It's something I've seen screw up many films before but in this it was just right. Also, it was another memorable score from Morricone that gets stuck in your head. Makes you want to go out and mess with a pan flute.

Pan flute is really underused http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMT9jEluuOU

BTW does Leone know how to make a bad..even average film? All that remain for me are The Colossus of Rhodes and Duck, You Sucker!

New List:

#109 Oldboy - I've seen music clips of this on youtube but that is all.

#110 On the Waterfront - All I know is that Marlon Brando makes a famous speech.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

The Rules of the Game: I, uh, hear good things.

Go with this.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

6. Das Boot:
Don't know too much about it, other than that there are multiple versions/cuts. Which version is best to watch?

The director's cut which is 3.5 hours long and isn't too hard to find seems to be the favorite. There is also an original uncut version that is almost five hours long.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

On the Waterfront - Pretty good movie. I think the last 15 minutes or so was the best. I found the nicknames like "Mr. Friendly" etc. to be humorous. As well as the scene with the longshoremen flinging everything they could get their hands on at the priest.

I wasn't blown away by the "contender" dialogue between him and his brother in the car. I've heard it referenced so often that you'd think witnessing it would be like a religious experience.

Also I got tired of seeing a couple on my list so long and couldn't resist delaying any longer.

To Kill a Mockingbird..this has been on my list for what feels like a year so it was time to watch it. I thought it was decent. I had forgotten some of the details of the story..I read it ~15 years ago as a freshman in high school. I'd seen most of the film in a few big chunks but never all of it. Kind of depressing.. the things that really stuck out were Scout wearing that ham costume home..I'm glad they didn't change that. Also that spinning tire scene was impressive.

I also ran across All About Eve. It was good enough to keep me watching but didn't stand out like Sunset Blvd. did. 14 academy award nominations is an astronomical amount. The second DVD had some interesting newsreels..that's one DVD extra I always find interesting to watch. I watched Bette Davis get her cement at Grauman's Chinese Theater and it said 11-6-50...cool 60 years to the day..(I watched it on Saturday.)

New List:

#61 City Lights - Almost rented this once and then I went back later to get it and the copy inexplicably disappeared never to return.

#73 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look.

#78 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cutdown a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day.

#89 The Great Dictator - I think I read about this in a textbook once.

#96 The Maltese Falcon - I saw some of this on TV long ago and the ending was spoiled for me. I know it has some famous quotes.

#102 Rebecca - Probably the first I've posted that I know 0% about and can't even remember hearing about it.

#106 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Never felt like watching this one. Is this a "feel good" political movie?

#107 Oldboy - I've seen music clips of this on youtube but that is all.

#112 Slumdog Millionaire - Seems to be lauded. Plot really didn't pique my interest.

#113 Hotel Rwanda - Another one I didn't get around to watching.

penismightier posted:

The King of Comedy This is a documentary about Gallagher, I presume

I'll say this. I liked watching Jerry Lewis get tortured.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

meanmikhail posted:

2. American Graffiti- I should probably see a non-Star Wars Lucas film.

Now it's my turn to select for you. Only one I've seen on your list. But I liked it.

City Lights - I didn't like the first 1/3 of the movie but it got better. My favorite aspect was the rich friend who liked the tramp when drunk but then threw him out over and over while sober.

New IMDb List:

#20 Toy Story 3 The final frontier. This is now on DVD and is the only one I haven't seen in the top 50. I saw the first two in theaters and liked both of them. I also recall watching the first one again in high school on a big screen in a computer art class. There were a lot of naysayers saying "not this stupid kids movie" but by the end everyone was into it.

#73 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look.

#78 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cutdown a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day.

#96 The Maltese Falcon - I saw some of this on TV long ago and the ending was spoiled for me. I know it has some famous quotes.

#102 Rebecca - Probably the first I've posted that I know 0% about and can't even remember hearing about it.

#106 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Never felt like watching this one. Is this a "feel good" political movie?

#107 Oldboy - I've seen music clips of this on youtube but that is all.

#112 Slumdog Millionaire - Seems to be lauded. Plot really didn't pique my interest.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BisonDollah posted:

10. Ben-Hur (1959, William Wyler)
I just feel that Ben-Hur is one of those big-budget classic movies that anyone and everyone should have seen.

I saw this when I was very young and don't remember much about it except thinking that it had to be the longest movie ever made.

Oldboy - I was happy to see that this was on netflix instant but then I noticed that it was dubbed. That's one thing I hope netflix changes in the future..the ability to change between language tracks and widescreen/fullscreen and potentially unrated/rated versions. So I waited for the DVD.

Anyway I liked segments of the movie (particularly the side-scrolling fight which seemed like it was taken from a video game) but when viewed in the 2 full hours it grossed me out on a few different levels. Tooth extractions and tongue cutting make me :barf: and the multifaceted incest plot was unsettling as well.

The villain dressing like Mr. Rogers was just the icing on the cake.

New IMDb List:

#20 Toy Story 3 The final frontier. This is now on DVD and is the only one I haven't seen in the top 50. I saw the first two in theaters and liked both of them. I also recall watching the first one again in high school on a big screen in a computer art class. There were a lot of naysayers saying "not this stupid kids movie" but by the end everyone was into it.

#114 Princess Mononoke - This could be good. I like this kind of animation these days.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

tokillthesunflower posted:

The Apartment I'm a fan of most of the people involved in this one, not sure why I haven't watched it yet.

I like this one.

Rebecca - For the first 1.5 hours it felt like I was watching a modern adaptation of Jane Eyre but then it shifted into a little more realistic story. This movie just oozes romance for the first hour. Once the reveal happened near the end I felt like it dragged a little. And the way the movie ends was another similarity to Jane Eyre.

I just checked and saw that Joan Fontaine played Jane Eyre 4 years later..that's funny.

Also watched Hotel Rwanda - Reminded me of Schindler's List but this one felt a little repetitive. Not very many likable people on either side of this conflict. I don't know if it was because of the PG-13 rating or the way it was shot but it felt like a made-for-TV movie. For the subject matter PG-13 cannot suffice.

New IMDb List:

#114 Princess Mononoke - This could be good. I like this kind of animation these days.

#118 No Country for Old Men - Sounds like a good title for an ageist anti-medicaid/medicare/social security documentary. But I don't think that's what this is about.

#120 Touch of Evil - Saw a little of it on TV once. Can't remember much.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

tokillthesunflower posted:

The Leopard I know absolutely nothing about this movie. That being said, should I watch the English version or Italian Version?

I watched the Italian dub. This is a movie that should be seen on like a 70" screen. Hopefully you have one heh.

Princess Mononoke - The most interesting characters were those of the animal gods (deer, boar, wolf etc.) Probably would've scared me as a kid.

Also watched Slumdog Millionaire. It kept my attention and was structured in an interesting way. It was nice to see a full episode of "who wants to be a millionaire" without it being cutoff at an inopportune time at the end of a half-hour block.

IMDb List:

#118 No Country for Old Men - Sounds like a good title for an ageist anti-medicaid/medicare/social security documentary. But I don't think that's what this is about.

#120 Touch of Evil - Saw a little of it on TV once. Can't remember much.

new #124 The General - Many place this atop their all-time movie lists. I've seen very few from this time period.

new #126 High Noon - I've heard it was influential but that's all.

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

8 1/2 will get better on repeat viewings I'm sure, but i still enjoyed the hell out of it. I didn't really find it so much a film about writer's block, but about someone that feels trapped by life and everyone around them and doesn't know how to deal with it. It was a beautiful film.

Yea, that was my exact reaction too. I just wanted everyone to leave the guy alone.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I watched 3 from my list. All good in different ways.

No Country for Old Men - Another morality play on the problems that money causes from the Coen bros. similar to Fargo (with another cold, staid killer of few words). He uses an interesting weapon throughout. I liked the first half of the movie a lot but it dragged a little the second half and became more predictable.

Toy Story 3 - Another good story. It's amazing how you can get enthralled by these CGI toys and conversely have many movies with real life actors..even based on real events just stink. I laughed a lot during the toy torture scenes (with the toddlers) even though I saw it coming. It lives up to the first one completely. They could end this trilogy right here..but with a concept as broad as toys they could do this a very long time. Only time will tell.

Also watched The Maltese Falcon - Spade is a no-nonsense kind of character and the Fat Man was another funny character especially if you imagine him chasing after the falcon for so many years and then what ultimately transpires. He basically looks like Jabba the Hutt in some of the scenes and takes up 90% of the screen.

reshuffled IMDb List (it's surprising how some of these movies ascend and descend
drastically in only a few weeks time). I was going to finally rest on my laurels for conquering the IMDb top 50 but I see that a new movie has encroached upon that territory. Black Swan..

#74 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded
skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look. (added 7/11/10)

#77 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cutdown a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day. (added 8/22/10)

#91 The Great Dictator - I think I read about this in a textbook once. (added 9/25/10)

#102 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Never felt like watching this one. Is this a "feel good" political movie? (added 11/9/10)

#120 The General - Many place this atop their all-time movie lists. I've seen very few from this time period. (added 12/30/10)

#123 Touch of Evil - Saw a little of it on TV once. Can't remember much. (added 12/11/10)

NEW #127 Witness for the Prosecution - I've liked every Billy Wilder movie thus far. I don't know anything about this. (added 1/7/11)

NEW #128 Wild Strawberries - Just haven't gotten around to it. It seems every Bergman film I watch is profound on some level. (added 1/7/11)

NEW #129 Snatch - It has been recommended but I forgot to watch this one at some point.(added 1/7/11)

#138 High Noon - I've heard it was influential but that's all. (added 12/30/10)

CloseFriend posted:

Rain Man: I've watched many, many, many 80s movies, but this is apparently one of the classics of the era that I missed.
Vertigo: Even though I've at least liked (and usually loved) every Hitchcock film I've seen, I'm pretty far behind on his work.

I've only seen Rain Man and Vertigo from your list so I flipped a quarter in honor of Anton. Tails. You get Vertigo.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Desiato posted:

The second half became predictable? The whole second half was a bunch of unpredictable elements colliding together from Llewelyn's sudden murder by the mexican gang to Chigurh's car accident. The whole movie emphasizes how unpredictable fate is (Chigurh's coin flip) and this comes to a head at the end.

I didn't see the car accident coming but I was very confident that Chigurh would prevail in the end.

Desiato posted:

Also not really a morality play about money, more about the ongoing nihilism of existence.

That's what I read and heard about before watching it but I didn't feel I saw that too strongly. Netflix has this in the description

quote:

The roles of prey and predator blur as violent pursuits of money and justice collide

I didn't see prey/predator blur nor money/justice collide. If someone did I'd like an explanation.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

penismightier posted:

But he didn't. A third party gang of roving randos killed Brolin

He doesn't score a Coup de grâce on the entire cast and we don't know if he ever finds the money but in the end he finds Moss' wife and also kills the "man who hires wells." He does survive and he's the only one that remains sure of himself (as Ed Tom Bell is reduced to babbling about dreams as the credits roll).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Sporadic posted:

*new* Alien: Fell through the cracks with me. Never thought about tracking it down until the Blu-Ray came out. I remember my Dad watching part of one of these while on vacation when I was a kid and it scared the hell out of me.

The perfect mix of horror and science fiction. One of my all-time favorites and will always garner an instant recommendation.

The General - I've seen 6 or 7 silent films now and this is now my favorite. The pacing throughout the movie, especially the train sequence, felt very modern. Interesting to see that it's based on real events. It wouldn't call it a comedy however.

IMDb list:

#74 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look. (added 7/11/10)

#77 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cutdown a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day. (added 8/22/10)

#91 The Great Dictator - I think I read about this in a textbook once. (added 9/25/10)

#102 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Never felt like watching this one. Is this a "feel good" political movie? (added 11/9/10)

#123 Touch of Evil - Saw a little of it on TV once. Can't remember much. (added 12/11/10)

#127 Witness for the Prosecution - I've liked every Billy Wilder movie thus far. I don't know anything about this. (added 1/7/11)

#128 Wild Strawberries - Just haven't gotten around to it. It seems every Bergman film I watch is profound on some level. (added 1/7/11)

#129 Snatch - It has been recommended but I forgot to watch this one at some point. (added 1/7/11)

new #131 Grave of the Fireflies - Another I can say I know 0% about. (added 1/10/11)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CloseFriend posted:

Aliens: I know I need to see this, and now out of all the movies in the IMDb Top 250, it's the highest-ranked one that I haven't seen and is on Netflix Instant (besides Fritz Lang's M).

I don't like Aliens as much as Alien but it's a worthy sequel.
I recommend watching the theatrical version over the extended version.

The Great Dictator - While it had some funny gags and the ending was memorable there's something unsettling about knowing what was to come after its release. The same kind of feeling I got after watching Dr. Strangelove.

I read more about Chaplin after this. I didn't know he had up to 12 children with all those young women.

Also watched The Prestige. This movie has been on my list over six months so I was tired of seeing it on there. I found it funny, almost too funny to be honest. Both magicians showing each other up wearing neckbeards at their respective events and sabotaging each other. I think my favorite was when Borden squashed Angier's bird.

The story played out in an interesting way with both guys reading diaries from the other and both being crossed in the end.

IMDb list:

#127 Witness for the Prosecution - I've liked every Billy Wilder movie thus far. I don't know anything about this. (added 1/7/11)

#128 Wild Strawberries - Just haven't gotten around to it. It seems every Bergman film I watch is profound on some level. (added 1/7/11)

#129 Snatch - It has been recommended but I forgot to watch this one at some point. (added 1/7/11)

#131 Grave of the Fireflies - Another I can say I know 0% about. (added 1/10/11)

NEW #133 Annie Hall - I know this as the movie that won out over Star Wars. Woody Allen is usually interesting. (added 1/17/11)

NEW #135 The Deer Hunter - Seemed very dark and gloomy so I haven't made it a point to watch this. I have a very vague memory of a guy in a cage being tortured. (added 1/17/11)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Vidas Secas Another highly regarded film I keep putting off because I fear it's really depressing.

Your list is the only one that regularly vexes me and this is now the fifth movie recommendation I've done for you of a movie I haven't seen :laugh:

dotcommunism's list has stumped me once.

The Deer Hunter was what I was expecting for the most part. It was on the long side and it often reminded me of Deliverance (the friends interactions). It's a film about changing and incorrect perspectives. Both the transformation of the characters and also uninformed characters projecting their ideas and expectations onto the soldiers coming home. The editing seemed very abrupt and stilted at times. Overall the movie was okay and wasn't hard to get through.

Also watched Grave of the Fireflies. It was another depressing WWII movie (are movies revolving around WWII the most prolific of any subject in the IMDb top 250? It seems like they are). Anyway after watching it I was wondering what to make of it. I guess if I go by the title of the film it would be why do young people die? It felt kind of sparse and it did go by quickly.

IMDb list:

#133 Annie Hall - I know this as the movie that won out over Star Wars. Woody Allen is usually interesting. (added 1/17/11)

new #137 Strangers on a Train - Don't know anything about this really but I've seen it mentioned in the thread a few times. (added 1/25/11)

new #140 It Happened One Night - A comedy that won all the major Academy Awards in its year. That is something not easily done these days. (added 1/25/11)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I was going to recommend him Dawn of the Dead too. But I get to pick another one for you Peaceful Anarchy and since I just watched Annie Hall and they are standing in front of a theater that's playing

I'll say this ^^.

Annie Hall - Woody Allen usually taps into some sentiments that I have and this is no exception. Parts of it reminded me of Private Parts. Rob (Tony Roberts) character had the funniest quotes of anyone.

IMDb list:

#124 Touch of Evil - Saw a little of it on TV once. Can't remember much. (added 12/11/10)

#130 Snatch - It has been recommended but I forgot to watch this one at some point. (added 1/7/11)

#138 Strangers on a Train - Don't know anything about this really but I've seen it mentioned in the thread a few times. (added 1/25/11)

#139 High Noon - I've heard it was influential but that's all. (added 12/30/10)

#140 It Happened One Night - A comedy that won all the major Academy Awards in its year. That is something not easily done these days. (added 1/25/11)

new #145 Into the Wild - Seen it mentioned in the thread a few times. (added 1/29/11)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kull the Conqueror posted:

"Twins, Max. Sixteen year-olds. Imagine the possibilities."

[Rob has bailed Alvy out of jail]
Rob: Imagine my surprise when I got your call, Max.
Alvy: Yeah. I had the feeling that I got you at a bad moment. You know, I heard high-pitched squealing.
Rob: Twins, Max! 16 years-old. Can you imagine the mathematical possibilities?
Alvy: [glum] You're an actor, Max. You should be doing Shakespeare in the Park.
Rob: Oh, I did Shakespeare in the Park, Max. I got mugged. I was playing Richard the Second and two guys with leather jackets stole my leotard.

I think his quotes are enhanced because of his demeanor as Woody Allen stares at him incredulously in every discussion (NY vs CA etc). Also, his spacesuit he puts on at the end.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"What, are we driving through plutonium?"

"Keeps out the alpha rays, Max. You don't get old."

Rob comments on all the hedonistic pleasures: his "relaxed" lifestyle, his house next to Hugh Hefner's house, and the gorgeous women: "They're like the women in Playboy Magazine only they can move their arms and legs."

Seriously every line the guy says is funny. I love the scene when they're in the editing room and they're modifying the laugh track:

Rob: "Give me a tremendous laugh here, Charlie. Now give me a medium-sized chuckle here. And then a big hand."

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

#34 A Fish Called Wanda - Probably the biggest post-Python project from any of the troupe that I've yet to see.

One of my favorite comedies.

Snatch. - It had funny moments (particularly with the dog) but I didn't like the frenetic editing style too much. The movie changed who it was following so many times that I felt like I was watching a car commercial.

from imdb:
'Guy Ritchie reportedly paid US $1 million for the use of Madonna's song, "Lucky Star".'
You'd think he would've gotten a discount for using his wifes music.

Also watched:

Strangers on a Train - Bruno is a very creepy character. Especially creepy during the stalking scene. Humorous ending on the carousel.

IMDb list:

#124 Touch of Evil - Saw a little of it on TV once. Can't remember much. (added 12/11/10)

#140 It Happened One Night - A comedy that won all the major Academy Awards in its year. That is something not easily done these days. (added 1/25/11)

#145 Into the Wild - Seen it mentioned in the thread a few times. (added 1/29/11)

new #148 Notorious - Another short adjective/noun Hitchcock film I know nothing about. (added 2/10/11)

new #151 Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - First Oscar best picture winner IIRC. (added 2/10/11)

Zogo fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 11, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I've gone to post my list and recommendations twice now and keep getting beaten. The Thing, then Amadeus..now I haven't seen anything on meanmikhail's list lol..

Meanmikhail, I've seen the first half of The Right Stuff (the movie was split onto two VHS tapes at my grandparents house and the second half was missing). So go with that. I need to watch it too.

Also, I noticed that meanmikhail picked for mistletoe as well and ratedargh got skipped. I'd recommend Amadeus to ratedargh..or if meanmikhail edits his post you can watch what he recommends.

Wild Strawberries - Very good movie. So many scenes stick out to comment on but I really liked the ending when the three young people said goodbye to the professor from below. It's kind of a film about the seasons of life and it appears that the older you get the more baggage and problems you collect as time goes on.

Also watched:

Touch of Evil - Didn't like it. Orson Welles stars a mumbling, bumbling walking heart attack. Corruption on film has never been so boring and disinteresting. Also, Charlton Heston's worst performance since Bowling for Columbine.

I was openly laughing during many scenes..particularly the never-ending closeup camera shots following Welles scene after scene. The camera is stuck on his left shoulder so much that you'd think he had a gravitational pull on the thing.

The smaller roles were just as bizarre and ridiculous as well. The Mexican villains were not menacing they were annoying..and the hotel worker? Ridiculous.

IMDb list:

#145 Into the Wild - Seen it mentioned in the thread a few times. (added 1/29/11)

#148 Notorious - Another short adjective/noun Hitchcock film I know nothing about. (added 2/10/11)

#151 Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - First Oscar best picture winner IIRC. (added 2/10/11)

new #152 Gone with the Wind - Still the highest grossing theatrical release after adjusting for inflation I believe. (added 2/21/11)

new #153 Trainspotting - Heard about it when it was first released. But I forgot about watching it. (added 2/21/11)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Manila in the Claws of Neon I have no idea what to expect from this, I've never seen a movie from the Philippines though, and this seems to be the one to watch.

Go with this.

High Noon - The story really didn't grab me. I found Amy Kane's lines proclaiming her Quakerism and then seeing how the film transpires to be humorous. I recognized a lot of actors who would go onto many different films and TV shows. Sheb Wooley :lol: and it's pretty amazing that Harry Morgan is still alive. He and Eli Wallach are two of the oldest living actors I can name.

The film does have an interesting background. And the allegorical undertones I read about afterward put things in a very different perspective. Reading about it it appears to be a favorite of a lot of past US presidents for some reason.

Did Hollywood have more infighting back in those days? Or do we just not hear about it a lot now?

IMDb list:

#77 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cut down a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day. (added 8/22/10)

#103 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Never felt like watching this one. Is this a "feel good" political movie? (added 11/9/10)

#129 Witness for the Prosecution - I've liked every Billy Wilder movie thus far. I don't know anything about this. (added 1/7/11)

#146 Into the Wild - Seen it mentioned in the thread a few times. (added 1/29/11)

#149 Notorious - Another short adjective/noun Hitchcock film I know nothing about. (added 2/10/11)

#151 Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - First Oscar best picture winner IIRC. (added 2/10/11)

#153 Trainspotting - Heard about it when it was first released. But I forgot about watching it. (added 2/21/11)

#154 Gone with the Wind - Still the highest grossing theatrical release after adjusting for inflation I believe. (added 2/21/11)

#155 The Gold Rush - Another famous Chaplin movie I've heard about. (added 3/5/11)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Noctaurus posted:

The Sting The Redford/Newman duo in a critically-acclaimed heist film.

This is a decent one.

Gone with the Wind was very long but is worth seeing at least once. For 1939 this movie looks pretty amazing and has a lot of effects that clearly stand out for this time period. Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh play two very flawed and memorable leads. Near the end of the film it becomes a litany of tragedies.

Is this the first film to use that "silhouette shots?" I'm talking about those scenes with black outlines of trees/people against a colorful background.

e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL7aoQVZPTc

"As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again!" I love that quote for some reason heh.

Also watched Cinema Paradiso as it had been on my list over six months. I watched the theatrical version as that's what Netflix sent me. I liked the movie for the first 90 minutes covering the theater, projectionists and censorship. But the second-rate love story tacked onto the end detracted from the film IMO. Also, the last 15-20 minutes are unbelievably schmaltzy.

IMDb list:

#103 Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Never felt like watching this one. Is this a "feel good" political movie? (added 11/9/10)

#129 Witness for the Prosecution - I've liked every Billy Wilder movie thus far. I don't know anything about this. (added 1/7/11)

#146 Into the Wild - Seen it mentioned in the thread a few times. (added 1/29/11)

#149 Notorious - Another short adjective/noun Hitchcock film I know nothing about. (added 2/10/11)

#153 Trainspotting - Heard about it when it was first released. But I forgot about watching it. (added 2/21/11)

#155 The Gold Rush - Another famous Chaplin movie I've heard about. (added 3/5/11)

NEW #157 The Grapes of Wrath - I remember reading a synopsis of the book in a class. Seems like the subject matter is still relevant today. 3/10/11

NEW #160 The Wrestler - Read that this was good but I didn't know it was this high on IMDb. 3/10/11

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Die freudlose Gasse I need some more Garbo in my life.

Go with this.

I know the shame game is going well when I'm seeing more and more peoples list of 10 movies and being able to say "cool, I've seen all of them."
I notice The Good, the Bad and the Ugly on a lot of lists. Just a reminder that it's now considered a de facto trilogy and I'd recommend anyone to start with the first two before jumping to the final one. Although some consider The Good, the Bad and the Ugly a prequel itself. What's the consensus?

I kept trying to get Trainspotting and got around to a lot of the others on my list before obtaining it. Trainspotting was pretty good. I liked the hallucination scenes (underwater toilet, rug vision etc.) The last 1/4 of the movie felt aimless and I couldn't have cared less about any of the characters getting ripped off.

Also watched Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. I liked this a little more than I thought I would. It was well done but the subject matter and political dirtbag BS left a bad taste in my mouth (even if it has a requisite nice ending). For example, the Taylor newspaper guys literally run some kids off the road.

Two quotations I liked:

Look, when I came here, my eyes were big blue question marks.
Now they're big green dollar marks.
-Jean Arthur as Clarissa Saunders

Edward Albert: "I wouldn't trust you to lick a postage stamp."

Also watched The Wrestler - It makes monotonous activities interesting. Mickey Rourke and Marisa Tomei were both good and the latter sexy as well. Down on his luck wrestler/fighter/boxer stories are way overdone these days so the premise naturally seems contrived. The difference here (and what makes this worth seeing) is that a lot of it is shot like a documentary and it focuses on everyday minutiae rather than the typical scenes/story arcs that have become very tiresome. (Rocky X et al.)

Also watched It Happened One Night. Another Frank Capra movie that had some funny moments. I've seen a few Clark Gable movies recently and it's easy to see why some of his films did so well.

One thing that stuck out was Ellen Andrews leaving the altar at the end. Now I'd always heard The Graduate was groundbreakingly controversial in a few respects but now that aspect seems like oldhat when viewed that this was released many years prior.

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Decided to start this up again, gonna start over since I'm too lazy to go back and find where I left off.

FYI if you wanted your old list http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3311444&userid=133975

MonkeeKong posted:

I've been away for a long time and managed to lose my old list in the shuffle...

FYI if you wanted your old list http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3311444&userid=152144

Whole bunch of new ones:

#157 The Grapes of Wrath - I remember reading a synopsis of the book in a class. Seems like the subject matter is still relevant today. 3/10/11

NEW #161 The Big Sleep - Another I've seen mentioned but know very little about it. 4/2/11

NEW #162 The Manchurian Candidate - Haven't seen this or the remake. I remember Ebert citing this a few times on TV. Something about political brainwashing. 4/2/11

NEW #165 Life of Brian - IIRC a friend told me that there is a funny dinner scene in this. 4/2/11

NEW #166 Finding Nemo - Saw a little of this on TV and it seemed to be decent. 4/2/11

SGRaaize posted:

10/10 = Perfect
I doubt I'l ever give that rating to any movie I see. My 9/10's are the equivalent of the general 10/10, but who knows, maybe someone has made a perfect movie I didn't know about.

Or maybe someone will make a perfect movie somewhere down the line.

FitFortDanga posted:

:rolleyes: alright then, what movies are 9/10 for you?

SGRaaize posted:

Nothing comes to mind right now...

:lol:

I'm extremely stingy with my 10s as well but not to the point that they only exist on a theoretical level. Does a 10/10 action film require the viewer to go into cardiac arrest?

FitFortDanga posted:

The Green Mile - What is it about Frank Darabont + Stephen King + prison that makes IMDb users go loving bananas? The Shawshank Redemption has inexplicably been #1 or #2 for as long as I can remember, and this even more mediocre offering currently sits at #83. Why? I guess it's an attraction to the comfortably predictable (did anyone not see the sponge thing coming?), the division of the world into "good men" and "bad men" (ooh that Percy is so rotten!), the reassuring presence of a gentle giant, non-threatening Magical Negro (his initials are "JC"? You don't say!).

I saw some of this on TV the other day and this review had me laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Subarnarekha

My 9th recommendation to you of a film I haven't seen. Someday, somewhere, somehow I'll recommend you a movie that I've seen.

The Grapes of Wrath - The story kept me interested and it felt very authentic. I thought it was going to be more topical on the depression/dustbowl but it focused more on the characters and their struggles and Tom's continuing knack for getting himself into trouble.

'The novel's original ending was far too controversial to be even considered for a film in 1940. It involved Rose-of-Sharon Rivers (Dorris Bowdon) giving birth to a stillborn baby and then offering her milk-filled breasts to a starving man, dying in a barn.'
:stare:

IMDb list:

#161 The Big Sleep - Another I've seen mentioned but know very little about it. 4/2/11

#162 The Manchurian Candidate - Haven't seen this or the remake. I remember Ebert citing this a few times on TV. Something about political brainwashing. 4/2/11

#165 Life of Brian - IIRC a friend told me that there is a funny dinner scene in this. 4/2/11

#166 Finding Nemo - Saw a little of this on TV and it seemed to be decent. 4/2/11

NEW The Bourne Identity - Technically not on the top 250 but I need to watch this before The Bourne Ultimatum (which is currently #168). 4/7/11