Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Cailin Rua, you must watch Lawrence of Arabia. You will thank me.

My shameful list:

I'm going to use internet popularity to gauge how ashamed I should feel, I'll work my way down the IMDB list.

12 Angry Men - I almost watched this recently on TCM, but chose not to for some reason.

Once Upon a Time in the West - I love Leone, so there is absolutely no good reason why I haven't seen this yet.

Spirited Away - I must subconsciously avoid anime, because I've seen very few even though I have no outward dislike for them.

Das Boot - this is definitely one of my most shameful because I actually own the loving DVD and still have not seen it.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - This is one pretty far up on my Netflix queue already.

The Bridge on the River Kwai - No idea why I haven't seen this one, especially considering how much I love Lawrence of Arabia.

Life is Beautiful - I know very little about this except it's made by that little hyperactive Italian guy.

Downfall - I've had this one on my netflix queue for a LONG time. Not sure why I keep demoting it.

Cinema Paradiso - I know very little about this.

All About Eve - Ditto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Mid, please watch 2001: A Space Odyssey. Make sure to watch it under these conditions to ensure you get the most out of it:

-By yourself, or at least with people who won't talk to you during it.
-In a relaxed state of mind. Don't be anticipating it getting over, just sit back and enjoy.
-Turn the sound up as loudly as you are able. Hopefully you have a nice HD copy as well.

Enjoy the ride.

For my part:

Arturo Ui posted:

Go watch 12 Angry Men because it is awesome

12 Angry Men was, in fact, awesome. It was beyond awesome. The script was about the most airtight and perfect I've seen. The actors each created characters that were unique, real, and memorable. Hell, I've only seen it once now and I could name who each of the 12 jurors was and at which position he sat at the table. Lumet's direction was brilliant. His use of closeups when necessary and his ability to shoot clearly within the confines of a small juror's room was beyond impressive. I read that as the movie progressed he gradually lowed the camera and used different lenses to enhance the feeling of confinement. The amount of control and meticulousness is amazing as hell. I love this movie. Thank you for the recommendation.

My new list:

12 Angry Men

Once Upon a Time in the West - I love Leone, so there is absolutely no good reason why I haven't seen this yet.

Spirited Away - I must subconsciously avoid anime, because I've seen very few even though I have no outward dislike for them.

Das Boot - this is definitely one of my most shameful because I actually own the loving DVD and still have not seen it.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - This is one pretty far up on my Netflix queue already.

The Bridge on the River Kwai - No idea why I haven't seen this one, especially considering how much I love Lawrence of Arabia.

Life is Beautiful - I know very little about this except it's made by that little hyperactive Italian guy.

Downfall - I've had this one on my netflix queue for a LONG time. Not sure why I keep demoting it.

All About Eve - Ditto.

The Great Dictator - I began watching this on TCM a long time ago and had to stop for some reason. I liked what I saw, and I really enjoy Chaplin.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Magic Hate Ball, you will watch Bicycle Thieves and you will love it.

VorpalBunny posted:

caiman, go watch All About Eve.

Finally watched All About Eve. It was very good, but I didn't absolutely love it. I appreciated the script, and the performances were just stunning, especially Bette Davis - her character felt so real and genuine. My main gripe with the movie is how the dialog is almost too perfect. What I mean is, it seemed every word out of the mouth of ever single character was super clever and intelligent and perfectly timed. But it's a small complaint. Over all I really enjoyed it.

My new list:

12 Angry Men
All About Eve

The Great Dictator - I began watching this on TCM a long time ago and had to stop for some reason. I liked what I saw, and I really enjoy Chaplin.

The Apartment - I've seen two Wilder films and I love them both. So I'm sure I'll like this too.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I know it's been stated, but PA, you are flying through these movies at a hell of an impressive rate. I've been with this thread since page three and I've only gotten around to watching two so far.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

penismightier posted:

23?! :wth:

Someone needs to get him a giftcard or something.

I read "giftcard" as "girlfriend" and laughed. But I suppose either could work.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Penismightier, you will watch Midnight Cowboy.

Waterhaul posted:

Caiman I'm recommending Spirited Away.

While I wasn't absolutely blown away by the movie, I was highly impressed by its imagination. This was some crazy, bizarre stuff and was very entertaining. The animation was so beautifully detailed and textured. The movie did, however, feel at times to be weird for the sake of being weird. Or maybe another way to put it is that there was just too much weirdness thrown at me for two hours that I started to feel numb to it. I also felt it was a bit too long. 15 minutes trimmed off would have really helped. Over all a strong film with some amazing animation.

New list:

12 Angry Men
All About Eve
Spirited Away

The Apartment - I've seen two Wilder films and I love them both. So I'm sure I'll like this too.

On the Waterfront - I like Marlon Brando, so I have no hesitation to see this.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

bananasinpajamas, you must watch Amadeus. It's one of the best movies ever.

marioinblack posted:

caiman, Once Upon a Time in the West is my favorite Leone film, and I think you need to fix the issue of not having seen it yet now.

Holy crap what an awesome movie. I really liked The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, but I absolutely loved this movie. It's great for so many reasons. Leone has an impeccable eye for shot compositions. His lens tells the story. His perfect shots build amazing sequences - the near-silent opening is so intense and awesome, and the movie is filled with these. The music compliments the mood perfectly, and the casting is spot on. Fonda and Bronson are simply iconic and at the top of their game. This is Leone's best movie (I still need to see Duck, You Sucker though) and probably my favorite western. This is near perfect film making. Thank you very, very much for making me watch it.

New list:

12 Angry Men
All About Eve
Spirited Away
Once Upon a Time in the West

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - We watched this in one of my film classes and I happened to skip that day.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Nroo posted:

Magic Hate Ball, you get to watch Bicycle Thieves.

I told him to watch this on page 14 and got ignored.

Seriously, go look.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

No Wave, watch It's a Wonderful Life because I've got Capra on the mind and it's a very enjoyable movie.

VorpalBunny posted:

Caiman, watch Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Sure, it's a sentimental and hokey, but dadgummit it will stir something pure and awesome inside of you.

Naive, exaggerated and unrealistic? Sure, but it was charmingly naive and appropriately exaggerated/unrealistic. Capra makes movies that look at morality, integrity and idealism in very black and white terms. While it's not the kind of world view I want from every film I see, it works wonderfully in this film. The message is what matters here, and I for one appreciate a lack of cynicism every now and then. But aside from all that, the movie was quite entertaining and interesting (I have seen very few movies about the workings of the U.S. senate). Stewart was born to play this role. It's not a movie I'm going to watch a million times, but I'm very glad I saw it.

New list:

12 Angry Men
All About Eve
Spirited Away
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Das Boot - This is definitely one of my most shameful because I actually own the loving DVD and still have not seen it.

Touch of Evil - I haven't seen nearly enough Orson Welles.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

SKEET SKEET, you have some great movies on your list so it's hard to choose, but I'm going to give you The Sting. One of the most entertaining movies ever made.

Mine from way back in August. Yeah, I've been a bit busy:

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

caiman, watch The Bridge on the River Kwai and marvel at the amazing shot composition and fantastic performances.

Great movie. Epic, exciting, and profound. The story was perfectly paced. And I loved the performances, especially by Guinness. I was on pins and needles during the last five minutes. Really exciting stuff pulled off by expert film making.

New list:

12 Angry Men
All About Eve
Spirited Away
The Bridge on the River Kwai

Das Boot - This is definitely one of my most shameful because I actually own the loving DVD and still have not seen it.

Ran - I love Kurosawa, but haven't seen nearly as many of his films as I should have. Can't wait to watch this.

Touch of Evil - I haven't seen nearly enough Orson Welles.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Noctaurus, watch Once Upon a Time in America. Don't let its length daunt you. It's worth every minute of your time.

Touch of Evil - A really excellent noir. A tight fast-moving plot, seedy characters, moral ambiguity, memorable music, and fantastic cinematography. I know it's trite to praise the opening shot, but it really is something special. Even today it's rare to see a long shot as well choreographed and fluid. And Welles gives a tremendous performance (I didn't even recognize him for about twenty minutes). Very entertaining all around.

New list:

Ran - I love Kurosawa, but haven't seen nearly as many of his films as I should have. Can't wait to watch this.

Princess Mononoke - I've liked every other Miyazaki I've seen, and this one seems to be the most highly praised.

12 Angry Men
All About Eve
Spirited Away
Touch of Evil

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

TenSpadesBeTrump, I want you to watch Code Unknown because there isn't nearly enough Haneke love around here.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - An absolutely engrossing film. The interaction between the three leads, all of which give masterful performances, is naturalistic, human, and spellbinding. I was absorbed by every word, every bit of planning, and every hint of suspicion and malevolence. We know what the outcome is basically going to be, and that's the beauty of it; we're filled with dread waiting for it to happen, anxiously wondering just exactly HOW it's going to happen. An outstanding film.

New list:

Princess Mononoke - I've liked every other Miyazaki I've seen, and this one seems to be the most highly praised.

Grave of the Fireflies - Another highly praised anime I have not seen.

12 Angry Men
All About Eve
Spirited Away
Touch of Evil
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

I don't know why I keep watching Haneke. His movies are infuriating, and he refuses to give the audience any satisfaction (Funny Games being the best example). Code Unknown is no different. It is an "everything is connected" multiple narrative sort of movie, and it is subtitled "Incomplete Tales of Several Journeys". The Incomplete part of that title is readily apparent, as most scenes end by cutting to black before the logical conclusion of the scene. The various characters are only tangentially related at best, and it is difficult to decipher exactly what some scenes mean. Haneke is able to create an uncomfortable sense of dread out of common situations (the subway scene). This movie begs for a second viewing, but I really can't see myself sitting through this again. 3.5/5

Very similar to how I felt about it. I recommended it to you mostly because I was curious to hear your opinion. Though not a horrible movie, it's definitely my least favorite Haneke. My mini review from Criticker is eerily similar to what you said:

I enjoy being challenged by movies, I really do. But I have a limit. Watching Code Unknown is like playing a video game that's so difficult it's not even fun. I needed something, ANYTHING to grab hold of here, but the movie gave me nothing. Trying to appreciate the movie on any level was like grasping at strings. Maybe I need to give it another shot? Maybe, but I doubt I will anytime soon.

I felt that 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance did something similar, and did it much better.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

SGRaaize posted:

Honestly, I don't wanna sound like a Gore-Fan, but I found the action scenes pretty distracting with its lack of blood

You don't watch many pre-1968 movies, do you? Blood is a rarity.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

delicious beef, I'm tempted to give you The Big Lebowski because it's fantastic, but there will be plenty of people to give you that one. So go with Easy Rider. Great movie.

Princess Mononoke - I enjoyed Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro, but this one just felt weighed down by its convoluted storyline. I also regret watching the English version, as the voice acting by well-known actors was distracting. Billy Bob Thornton was the worst. I loved the animation though. Absolutely stunning. 72/100

New list:

Cool Hand Luke - Looks good. Anxious to check it out.

12 Angry Men - 96/100
All About Eve - 85/100
Spirited Away - 85/100
Once Upon a Time in the West - 95/100
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - 85/100
The Bridge on the River Kwai - 94/100
Touch of Evil - 89/100
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 93/100
Princess Mononoke - 72/100

EDIT: decided to add my Criticker ratings.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 20, 2011

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Peaceful Anarchy, watch The Hawks and the Sparrows.

Life is Beautiful - One of the best mixtures of comedy and drama I have ever seen. It reminded me strongly of Charlie Chaplin - a larger-than-life character interacting with a very real world. And it doesn't get much more real (and horrific) than the setting of this film. Somehow Benigni is able to perform a perfect tight rope act between the horrors of the holocaust and his own great sense of humor. Funny, endearing and quite sad. - 91/100

New list:

Witness for the Prosecution - I know nothing about this one.

Watched (scores out of 100):
12 Angry Men(96) All About Eve(85) Spirited Away(85) Once Upon a Time in the West(95) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(85) The Bridge on the River Kwai(94) Touch of Evil(89) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(93) Princess Mononoke(72) Life is Beautiful(91)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Electronico6 posted:

I know that if you pick up Citizen Kane, the last thing you will get is a strong story, it is more of a visual experience and all that, but Charles Foster Kane is actually an interesting character, unlike the two wankers that feature in Breathless. I rewatched multiple times Citizen Kane, and probably will rewatch it many more in the future, I don't think I'll ever see Breathless again, unless it's for some film festival or film night with friends.

I agree that the form definitely takes priority over the function, but I disagree about the characters not being interesting. At least Michel anyway. His cold, narcissistic disconnection with the world around him was really fascinating to me. He was so full of himself and confident and reckless. He glances at a newspaper article about a dead cop and his face plastered all over it, and he doesn't bat an eye. It's as if he feels he's living the life of a movie hero. I found that pretty interesting.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Revolutionaut, watch The Maltese Falcon and witness the greatness of Peter Lorre and Bogey.

Ran - This movie is not just epic, it DEFINES epic. And it's epic in all conceivable ways: the best battle scenes ever filmed (sorry Seven Samurai, but you are now #2); the intense mental degradation of a human being who has come to understand the evil life he's lived; profound philosophical questions about who deserves blame for the horrors of humanity. There's so much to chew on that it's hard to mentally conceptualize this as one single film. If a movie ever demanded repeat viewings, this is it. - 92/100

New list:

It Happened One Night - Clark Gable and Frank Capra? How can I go wrong?

12 Angry Men(96) All About Eve(85) Spirited Away(85) Once Upon a Time in the West(95) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(85) The Bridge on the River Kwai(94) Touch of Evil(89) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(93) Princess Mononoke(72) Life is Beautiful(91) Ran(92)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Electronico6 posted:

Wait how is this even possible? :psyduck:

My advice to Lackadaisical is to seek out the original version rather than the 1997 special edition or any subsequent variety thereof. See it for the first time the way the rest of us did.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer isn't particularly my kind of film, but I was reasonably impressed by how effectively disturbing it is without being too gruesome. The low budget limitations really add to the feel and it has some really effective editing techniques that make the violence more bearable and more effective in shocking the audience. All in all I don't think I'll watch this again but I'm glad I watched it once.

I think this is one of the most disturbing horror films ever made, mostly because the characters seem like real people you see in your daily life. It really makes me wonder if some people are simply born without souls.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Aorist, give Modern Times a go. Very good movie.

Das Boot - True, these are the "bad guys," but that doesn't matter here. These are people, first and foremost, and it was an absolute thrill watching them perform their duty to the very end and see them evolve into men. This is an intense, claustrophobic, gripping film that feels about half as long as it actually is (I watched the 229 minutes director's cut). Time has never flown by this fast for me before. Fantastic movie that I wish I had watched sooner. 92/100

Speaking of its length, is the 293 minute version better than the director's cut?

New list:

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - One of my favorite films ever is Nosferatu, yet it remains the only Murnau film I've seen.

12 Angry Men(96) All About Eve(85) Spirited Away(85) Once Upon a Time in the West(95) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(85) The Bridge on the River Kwai(94) Touch of Evil(89) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(93) Princess Mononoke(72) Life is Beautiful(91) Ran(92) Das Boot(92)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

penismightier posted:

It's not. I mean, there's a lot of violence, but it's not a bloody movie.

But it is a bloody brilliant movie.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

TrixRabbi posted:

So no ultra-gore? As long as people aren't leaking blood and organs every other scene then it should be no problem. It sounds like a really interesting movie, but I've heard it pumped up as this really disturbing film.

A film can be disturbing without pumping out buckets of gore. While I wouldn't call Man Bites Dog one of the more disturbing movies I've seen, it definitely takes things a bit further than many audiences are comfortable with.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Electronico6, I'd love to hear your opinions of Woyzeck.

Downfall was a bit of a disappointment. On the whole I found it only mildly interesting, with the first hour and a half downright boring (which is NOT a descriptor I tend to use). The last hour got better, asking interesting questions about the individual feelings of the Nazi soldiers. The demonstration of life-ending commitment to the great madman was kind of interesting. Kind of. I felt like this was a movie made for WWII buffs, which I am not. Historically accurate? Fantastic... I just don't care all that much. The thing I admired most about it was the performance by Ganz. But then again, Hitler is a pretty naturally compelling character so I don't know exactly how much credit should go to Ganz. 70/100

New list:

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - One of my favorite films ever is Nosferatu, yet it remains the only Murnau film I've seen.

The Grapes of Wrath - Sounds great. It's just never been on my radar.

12 Angry Men(96) All About Eve(85) Spirited Away(85) Once Upon a Time in the West(95) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(85) The Bridge on the River Kwai(94) Touch of Evil(89) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(93) Princess Mononoke(72) Life is Beautiful(91) Ran(92) Das Boot(92) Downfall(70)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Atheistdeals.com, watch Persona. You might still have no clue what it's about even after watching it, but at least you'll see one of the most interesting things ever filmed.

It Happened One Night: Entertaining over all. Some funny gags (loved the hitchhiking bit) and a couple funny lines. Good ending, too. But it just didn't really wow me. I like Clark Gable for the most part, but I find Jimmy Stewart (who starred in the only other two Capra movies I've seen) so much more endearing, genuine and interesting. 76/100

New list:

The Kid - More Chaplin I need to see.

12 Angry Men(96) All About Eve(85) Spirited Away(85) Once Upon a Time in the West(95) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(85) The Bridge on the River Kwai(94) Touch of Evil(89) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(93) Princess Mononoke(72) Life is Beautiful(91) Ran(92) Das Boot(92) Downfall(70) It Happened One Night(77)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Magic Hate Ball, Dial M For Murder is very good.

Cool Hand Luke - Luke is a real person, one of those types that many of us have known at least once in our lives. You marvel both at their coolness and at the effortlessness with which they pull it off. He's admired without ever asking to be admired. Newman's Luke is also troubled and lost and immediately gains our sympathy. I felt genuine disappointment every time his escapes failed. Great performances by Newman and all the supporting cast, and beautiful cinematography by Conrad Hall. Wonderful movie. 90/100

New list:

Ben-Hur - I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to this one very much. Looks a tad hokey from the little I've seen, and it's very long.

12 Angry Men(96) All About Eve(85) Spirited Away(85) Once Upon a Time in the West(95) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(85) The Bridge on the River Kwai(94) Touch of Evil(89) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(93) Princess Mononoke(72) Life is Beautiful(91) Ran(92) Das Boot(92) Downfall(70) It Happened One Night(77) Cool Hand Luke(90)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

BIZORT posted:

6. Blade Runner Casablanca - Ugh, I really, really, really don't want to watch it but I have to at some point in my life, I suppose. I have a prejudice toward older films like this and always got the impression that the story is probably really corny.

God I wish it was my turn to recommend.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

PA, give Tetsuo: The Iron Man a try. It's definitely... something.

The Great Dictator - Though I prefer silent Chaplin, this one still retained much of the charm of his earlier work, especially since his Jewish Barber character barely speaks. I've heard complaints that the final speech is out of place, given that up until that point the character had uttered about ten words. I think that's the joke/point. Chaplin has seldom been heard to speak prior to this, and what he has to say is profound and life affirming. That he satirized Hitler like this in 1940 is amazing to me. 82/100

New list:

Ben-Hur - I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to this one very much. Looks a tad hokey from the little I've seen, and it's very long.

The Wages of Fear - Clouzot impressed the hell out of me with Diabolique. Let's see if he can top himself.

12 Angry Men(96) All About Eve(85) Spirited Away(85) Once Upon a Time in the West(95) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(85) The Bridge on the River Kwai(94) Touch of Evil(89) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(93) Princess Mononoke(72) Life is Beautiful(91) Ran(92) Das Boot(92) Downfall(70) It Happened One Night(77) Cool Hand Luke(90) The Great Dictator(82)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Budhisattva, The French Connection is necessary viewing.

Grave of the Fireflies - This movie made me feel nothing. I'm not a cold-hearted person, but I wasn't sad or moved or touched or anything like so many others seem to have been. All I could notice was how the movie was TELLING ME I needed to feel sad, and it's hard for me to feel genuine emotion when the movie is so clearly manipulative. And maybe I've been spoiled by the gorgeous Miyazaki films, but I didn't even find the animation especially nice. Given this film's reputation, this was quite a disappointment. 67/100
New list:

The Wages of Fear - Clouzot impressed the hell out of me with Diabolique. Let's see if he can top himself.

The Secret in their eyes - Mark this one as another I have absolutely no clue about.

12 Angry Men(96) All About Eve(85) Spirited Away(85) Once Upon a Time in the West(95) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(85) The Bridge on the River Kwai(94) Touch of Evil(89) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(93) Princess Mononoke(72) Life is Beautiful(91) Ran(92) Das Boot(92) Downfall(70) It Happened One Night(77) Cool Hand Luke(90) The Great Dictator(82) Grave of the Fireflies(67)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CloseFriend, check out Manhunter.

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - I was initially a little put off by the abandonment of the story, but by the time the movie ended I appreciated what the movie did. Such a great mixture of comedy and drama, much like real life. I do think the dramatic scenes worked better than the funny ones, though I did get a kick out of the drunk pig. The cinematography was pretty spectacular, with some of the best shots I've seen from a silent film. Overall a touching, entertaining, technically impressive work. 84/100

New list:

The Secret in their eyes - Mark this one as another I have absolutely no clue about.

The Big Sleep - Bogart, Bacall and Hawks? Count me in.

12 Angry Men(96) All About Eve(85) Spirited Away(85) Once Upon a Time in the West(95) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(85) The Bridge on the River Kwai(94) Touch of Evil(89) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(93) Princess Mononoke(72) Life is Beautiful(91) Ran(92) Das Boot(92) Downfall(70) It Happened One Night(77) Cool Hand Luke(90) The Great Dictator(82) Grave of the Fireflies(67) Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans(84)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Factor Mystic posted:

I finally just watched Dark City (director's cut) after seeing it repeatedly mentioned in this subforum. Going in I had no idea what it was except that I thought it was some sort of modern take on noir with a detective or something.

Wow. WOW. WOW. It is definitely a GREAT movie. I will say a few things- firstly that I just had to choke down the 'underground' scenes with all the strangers. That was pretty (annoyingly) campy. But I loved the style, what with miniatures and everything (I assume). Gave it a real classic feel, like it might have come out about two decades before it did. I'll also say that I did suspect where the city might actually be, but only after it was explicitly mentioned about it being always night. Dark city, literally, and I still had to have it told to me. Oh well. Still, great. And lots of open questions afterward. What's the source? A book? Can I read it?

Also, it came out just before The Matrix, lol.

Now, to continue the thread, I don't have a huge list but I still have not seen Scorpico D:

A. You must pick a movie for the previous poster.
B. You need to include a list of movies.
C. Scorpico?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Man Admiral Goodenough, you have some amazing movies on that list so it's hard to choose. I'll go with Easy Rider.

The Apartment - Oh God this movie is fantastic. Jack Lemmon is so amazing, words can hardly describe him. His character is funny but not goofy, wise but flawed, and just such a delight to watch. The story is so unique and interesting. The writing is intelligent, clever, witty, dramatic... perfect. MacMurray and MacLaine are both perfectly cast and the ending is satisfying without being cliched or predictable. Wilder's direction is assured and deliberate. It doesn't get much better than this, movie-wise. 96/100

New list:

Life of Brian - This is one of those I've heard about for as long as I can remember. It's truly shameful I haven't seen it.

12 Angry Men(96) All About Eve(85) Spirited Away(85) Once Upon a Time in the West(95) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(85) The Bridge on the River Kwai(94) Touch of Evil(89) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(93) Princess Mononoke(72) Life is Beautiful(91) Ran(92) Das Boot(92) Downfall(70) It Happened One Night(77) Cool Hand Luke(90) The Great Dictator(82) Grave of the Fireflies(67) Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans(84) The Apartment(96)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

jonnykungfu, check out Tokyo Story.

The Wages of Fear - It takes a little while for this movie to hit its groove, but once it does it's an intense, exciting experience. Nitroglycerin makes for a great plot device. There are some absolutely nail-biting scenes, enhanced by a great attention to detail. I begin to feel like I'm a part of the situation, telling the characters what to do and fearing for my life. "Use the dry sticks for traction! Yes! Now turn the wheel to the left!" Not too many movies immerse me as much as this one. Great stuff. 94/100

New list:

Life of Brian - This is one of those I've heard about for as long as I can remember. It's truly shameful I haven't seen it.

The Manchurian Candidate - I've seen the remake but not the original. For shame.

12 Angry Men(96) All About Eve(85) Spirited Away(85) Once Upon a Time in the West(95) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(85) The Bridge on the River Kwai(94) Touch of Evil(89) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(93) Princess Mononoke(72) Life is Beautiful(91) Ran(92) Das Boot(92) Downfall(70) It Happened One Night(77) Cool Hand Luke(90) The Great Dictator(82) Grave of the Fireflies(67) Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans(84) The Apartment(96) The Wages of Fear(94)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Electronico6 posted:

All those years of watching Woody Allen impressions don't really match up to the real thing. Annie Hall was both funny and clever, with a real and meaningful message beneath it all. Seems like most RomComs this movie spawned only got the part "Weird dude hooks up with hot girl", and forgot everything else.(Being funny too) The 4th wall breaks, the splitscreens and other neat tricks through out the movie, give the movie another edge and a distinct style.

I'm so glad to see people discovering Woody Allen. As far as well known directors go, he's an anomaly. Everyone knows of him, but a disappointingly/surprisingly small percentage have actually seen his work. Very much an under-appreciated filmmaker.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Athiestdeals.com, watch The Graduate because it's excellent.

Life of Brian - Not quite as hilarious as Holy Grail but still quite funny. I love Monty Python's random, nonsensical humor and this movie has it in spades. This also works as a great satire on religion and those who follow mindlessly. Some of the dialog is difficult to understand, so it's possible I missed some of the jokes. Definitely a movie I wouldn't mind watching again. 81/100

I also went ahead and watched The Kid - The best part of this by far is the little kid. He's so cute and funny and I love how he and Chaplin interact together. Overall though I didn't find this one as funny as The Gold Rush or Modern Times, as interesting as The Great Dictator, nor as heartwarming as City Lights. It's lightly humorous, fairly entertaining and thoroughly watchable, but not one of Chaplin's best. I would like to take a look at the longer cut and see if my opinion changes at all. 79/100

New list:

The Manchurian Candidate - I've seen the remake but not the original. For shame.

How to Train Your Dragon - I knew going by the IMDB top 250 would eventually bite me in the rear end. Maybe this will be good?...

Judgment at Nuremberg - This looks intense and interesting.

12 Angry Men(96) All About Eve(85) Spirited Away(85) Once Upon a Time in the West(95) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(85) The Bridge on the River Kwai(94) Touch of Evil(89) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(93) Princess Mononoke(72) Life is Beautiful(91) Ran(92) Das Boot(92) Downfall(70) It Happened One Night(77) Cool Hand Luke(90) The Great Dictator(82) Grave of the Fireflies(67) Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans(84) The Apartment(96) The Wages of Fear(94) The Kid(79) Life of Brian(81)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CloseFriend, Videodrome is brilliant.

How To Train Your Dragon - The story and characters are pretty by-the-numbers, but I can't deny how fresh and exciting the animation is. The dragon designs are especially fun. The dragons and the people have a real sense of weight to them, making the flying scenes breathtaking. This isn't one of the best animated films I've seen (just a bit too predictable and safe for my tastes) but it did beat my expectations. For children's entertainment, you could do a lot, lot worse. 75/100

New list:

Judgment at Nuremberg - This looks intense and interesting.

The Night of the Hunter - I didn't even know Charles Laughton directed a movie. Now I'm very interested in this one.

12 Angry Men(96) All About Eve(85) Spirited Away(85) Once Upon a Time in the West(95) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(85) The Bridge on the River Kwai(94) Touch of Evil(89) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(93) Princess Mononoke(72) Life is Beautiful(91) Ran(92) Das Boot(92) Downfall(70) It Happened One Night(77) Cool Hand Luke(90) The Great Dictator(82) Grave of the Fireflies(67) Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans(84) The Apartment(96) The Wages of Fear(94) The Kid(79) Life of Brian(81) How To Train Your Dragon(75)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

jonnykungfu posted:

Haven't seen it, but The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover is one of my favorite films.

A Zed and Two Noughts is quite a trip. Not as amazing as Cook/Thief/Wife/Lover, but it creates an even more bizarre world. Greenaway's films are those rare experiences where you're seeing an idea that went straight from someone's brain directly to the screen. In this case, that brain seems fairly disturbed.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Electronico6 posted:

Still not the worst Kubrick. And now I seen them all! Party time. :toot:

Even Fear and Desire? What did you think?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Okay I'm trying something new here to change things up a little. Plus I've had a lot of free time today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Getting back in on this (recently employed, no free time).