Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

No Wave should watch Night of the Hunter.

This cut down from a long-list of 21 films I really should see.

Breathless - I've seen hardly anything from the new wave because I just never felt the compulsion to, and have seen nothing at all by Godard and I guess this is the place to start.

Solaris - Even though I love Stalker I find it hard to motivate myself to sit down and watch this since it's even longer. I also hate the Soderbergh version.

Barry Lyndon - From The Killing through to Eyes Wide Shut this is the only Kubrick film I haven't seen because I've never been big on period films and I thought it might be best to wait for the Blu Ray anyway.

Casablanca - Literally no idea why I've never watched this, perhaps it's just so well-known that it isn't a case where I've decided to go and seek it out.

The Rules of the Game - I don't really know anything about this but I see it so exalted so often that I feel I'm going to have to watch it sometime.

- I have a strong disinclination toward self-indulgence.

The Magnificent Ambersons - Knowing how badly butchered it was on release from Welles's cut I've never really bothered to seek it out even though I hear it's still a great film regardless of that.

Come and See - Probably depressing as gently caress.

Bicycle Theives - Same as Rules of the Game, really.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Seems like it'd be right up my street and it's had an influence on films and directors that I love. And a great Simpsons episode. Like Casablanca it's another case of me not feeling a need to seek out American films from a popular period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Arkane should watch Ed Wood since it's pretty much the only Tim Burton film I like, and I like it a lot, so if you find him even intermittently entertaining then maybe you'll love it.

SneakySneaks posted:

For Noxville watch Come and See, I've been meaning to see it too and will watch it if you like it.

Yeah, I was certainly right that it'd be depressing as gently caress, I don't know as I've seen another film ith an atmospheres as consistently oppressive as this one. It makes it's points pretty bluntly but I guess subtlety isn't really in order anyway when you're dealing with atrocity. Great film, excellent direction but it'll likely be harder to spur myself to ever rewatch it that it was to watch it in the first place.

Revised list:

Breathless - I've seen hardly anything from the new wave because I just never felt the compulsion to, and have seen nothing at all by Godard and I guess this is the place to start.

Solaris - Even though I love Stalker I find it hard to motivate myself to sit down and watch this since it's even longer. I also hate the Soderbergh version.

Barry Lyndon - From The Killing through to Eyes Wide Shut this is the only Kubrick film I haven't seen because I've never been big on period films and I thought it might be best to wait for the Blu Ray anyway.

Casablanca - Literally no idea why I've never watched this, perhaps it's just so well-known that it isn't a case where I've decided to go and seek it out.

The Rules of the Game - I don't really know anything about this but I see it so exalted so often that I feel I'm going to have to watch it sometime.

The Magnificent Ambersons - Knowing how badly butchered it was on release from Welles's cut I've never really bothered to seek it out even though I hear it's still a great film regardless of that.

Das Boot - Very long and I've never been impressed with the director's Hollywood work but then I've repeatedly been told it was great.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Seems like it'd be right up my street and it's had an influence on films and directors that I love. And a great Simpsons episode. Like Casablanca it's another case of me not feeling a need to seek out American films from a popular period.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

elendilmir posted:

Damned if I didn't, and I apologize. It seems, however that Twin Cinema has given me my homework assignment, so I'm off. I'll have my summary of Grosse Point Blank in a few days.

You need to pick something off of Wolfgang Pauli's list for him to keep everything in order...

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Neilpeartnoy should watch Network.

Took me a month to get around to watching Das Boot with the World Cup being on for the past month and it being so long. I should've asked whether to watch the theatrical or the miniseries/super-extended version but the latter was the version I borrowed so that's the one I watched. 4hours 42 minutes later (plus half an hour for dinner) and yeah, great film. Entertaining all the way through even the slow parts and assuming the primary aim of the film is depiction of life as a submariner and it's a viewpoint you don't to see often.

Revised list:

Das Boot - Very long and I've never been impressed with the director's Hollywood work but then I've repeatedly been told it was great.
The Draughtsman's Contract - The only Greenaway film I've seen is The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover which was pretty excellent so I'm looking to watch more at some point.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Admin Understudy should watch The Seventh Seal since his idea of what the film is surely means he's never watched past the opening scene on the beach.

I watched Casablanca, super-entertaining film. Bogart owns, Claude Rains owns, Ingrid Bergman is too beautiful. Really my only gripe is not enough Peter Lorre, but you can't have everything.

Revised list:

Sunset Boulevard - I seem to remember watching it once while ill and tired but remember virtually nothing so I really need to see it again.

The Draughtsman's Contract - The only Greenaway film I've seen is The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover which was pretty excellent so I'm looking to watch more at some point.

Noxville fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 13, 2010

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

marioinblack should watch Goodfellas.

I watched Sunset Boulevard. Great film about the strange alternate world that the rich and famous live in. The in-jokes and self-referencing would probably annoy me in a modern film but with 60 years past I allow it a lot more leeway, and it does genuinely seem to add to the film when you know the connections between the actors and their characters - Erich von Stroheim being a former director of silents, Cecil B DeMille having given Gloria Swanson her big break.

Swanson gave the slightly absurd melodramtic performance the character demanded, William Holden plays sarcastic very well and did a great job with the voice-over (which I normally aren't keen on since 90% of performers sound like they can't be bothered and it's hard to pay attention to them).

Side note: I just realised that film was inspiration for a pretty good episode of Columbo that had Janet Leigh in it... as I'm watching this I get the nagging feeling that I've seen something very similar but in colour until it dawned on me near the end.

Revised list:

Lawrence of Arabia - It's very long?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I've seen half te ones dotCommunism has crossed off but not a single one on his current list :/ I'll give him The Paino Teacher since I like Haneke too.

Watched Lawrence of Arabia and I'd sum up the film with

Once I got over my amusement at Alec Guinness being cast as an Arab prince I though it was great, and David Lean sure knows how to film a landscape. I liked that the film wasn't afraid to make Lawrence quite unlikeable, that he comes across as a man leading a rebellion mostly to fuel his own ego (though the character is certainly more complex than to sum up so easily).

I was surprised at how it didn't seem anything like it's length; I puased it for lunch when Lawrence first went back to Cairo and was surprised that it was over two hours through. The music was fantastic, Peter O'Toole was great and maybe deserved an Oscar ahead of Gregory Peck, and Omar Sharif got possibly the best character introduction I've seen. Great movie.

Revised list:

Persona - I liked The Silence a lot so I should get around to this at some point.

Noxville fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 31, 2010

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Yeah that is a bit of a weird one to give to someone who's never seen any Hitchcock.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

mikewozere posted:

I saw that part, I was just blinded by my misogyny and think that Ilsa shouldn't be in a love with two people.

She only allowed herself to fall in love with Rick once she believed her husband was dead, and chose to run away from him after she found out he wasn't. I'm not sure if you have problems understanding human emotion or something but she probably wouldn't have been able to just think 'well, I'd better stop loving Rick now'.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I'm going to recommend von Braun watches Rashomon because it owns.

Watched Breathless. I liked it and can certainly see how important it was at the time but for some reason it didn't grab me. Didn't really feel any connection to any of the characters. I'm sure I'll catch a few more Godard films but not with any great urgency.

Revised list:

The 400 Blows - I think I'll probably get on with Truffaut better than Godard and yet haven't seen anything of his besides his American movie.

Persona - I liked The Silence a lot so I should get around to this at some point.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

You need to recommend me something from my list, krupa.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

von Braun you should watch Metropolis if you already own it.

I watched Barry Lyndon and thought it was great, Ryan O'Neil's questionable Irish accent aside. I love that Kubrick's use of natural light (And realistic-looking light) as much as possible stops it looking like it was filmed in any particular period as opposed to just playing out in front of you, unlike most period films which are produced in ways that will eventually date them.

The slow pace suits the film considering that it features mostly upper class Western European characters who aren't even allowed to express anger except when channeled into the rigidly-ordered form of a duel, and the one real display of anger leads to the character basically being ostracised from polite society. And again I don't really get the accusation of Kubrick being a cold director when there's a number of these emotional scenes that are actually amplified to some extent by the characters's attempts not to indulge them.

Great film but I'm thinking of adding shorter films from this point on because people seem to love giving me 150+ minute films and I don't have so much free time at the moment and I've already got a further three of this length waiting to be watched...

The 400 Blows - I think I'll probably get on with Truffaut better than Godard and yet haven't seen anything of his besides his American movie.

Sullivan's Travels - Another film about Hollywood since I enjoyed Sunset Boulevard so much, and I've heard it's pretty funny.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Adhesion should watch Night of the Hunter.

I watched 8½. It was excellently directed and entertaining but still I felt my attention wandering at points... the harem fantasy is like 13 minutes long and doesn't add much besides an amusing character point. I'm sure the lack of focus is puposefully mirroring the lead character but it kind of stops me engaging with the film as much as I want to. Also, for a film with such a large cast of characters there's only a handful of them actually have any character themselves and the lead is the only one with any depth, probably since he's basically just Fellini anyway. I also feel a little malice towards it for indirectly spawning Nine.

I did love how it was made though. The way the camera moved, the seamless scene transitions, the occasionally startling use of actual silence (where most films will still use room noise). Were I to give it a mark out of ten I'd give it eight and... four-fifths, though my opinion of it may well improve with another viewing.

Sullivan's Travels - Another film about Hollywood since I enjoyed Sunset Boulevard so much, and I've heard it's pretty funny.

In the Mood for Love - Haven't seen anything by Wong Kar-wai except Chungking express which I liked but not enough to seek out anything else. I've heard good things about this though?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy should watch The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover.

I watched Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Not a lot to say but it's a fun movie and Bogart was great. Love that he can go from playing romantic leads to a slightly despicable character like Dobbs.

Revised list:

In the Mood for Love - Haven't seen anything by Wong Kar-wai except Chungking express which I liked but not enough to seek out anything else. I've heard good things about this though?

The Draughtsman's Contract - Need to watch more Greenaway since I've loved what I've seen so far.

The Maltese Falcon - More Bogart/Huston that I haven't seen.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The Crying Game is still a good movie even when you know the 'twist' that actually happens about half-way through the movie.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

It is incredibly Jewy but it's not long or depressing.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

LtKenFrankenstein you should watch Picnic at Hanging Rock since I saw that for the first time recently and thought it was fantastic.

I watched the 400 Blows a couple of weeks back but after I'd written several paragraphs my browser crashed so I was gonna wait till I had time and inclination to rewrite it but don't really have either. I loved it though, maybe the best I've watched for the thread so far.

Revised list:
Pigs and Battleships - Loved both the Imamura films I saw recently so I'm wanting to watch more when I get the chance. Feel free to sub this for one you like better, I'll probably get round to most of his sooner or later.

The Draughtsman's Contract - Need to watch more Greenaway since I've loved what I've seen so far.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

CloseFriend, you should watch Blazing Saddles.

I finally got around to seeing The Magnificent Ambersons after four months, and it was pretty magnificent. I was expecting that it'd be a drama about an aristocratic family as it was, I though it likely the Old Money family to cause their own downfall and they did, I was completely not expecting the film to take a strong interest in the effect of the invention of the motor car on American society.

Wasn't keen on the opening ~10 minutes but it grabbed me from the party scene onward. The film looked great - seemingly not as much trickery as Citizen Kane but a lot of neat shots and some great composition. I liked how the Ambersons acted so melodramatically while the Morgans were much more restrained and kind of naturalistic. Also I absolutely love how Welles narrates the closing credits.

I'd like to know what was missing since there was like 1/3 of the film taken out but the back end of the film seemed to take it hardest - there are a couple of mentions of failed investments but that the Ambersons have run out of money and need to go to work comes pretty much out of nowhere. Great films though, glad to have finally seen it.

Revised list:
Pigs and Battleships - Loved both the Imamura films I saw recently so I'm wanting to watch more when I get the chance. Feel free to sub this for one you like better, I'll probably get round to most of his sooner or later.

Day for Night - Love the last Truffaut film I saw and despite being generally not disposed towards films and making films I'm really interested in seeing this.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

bluefire579, I haven't seen any of the ones on your list so I'll give you The Motorcycle Diaries since it's the one I'd be most interested ni seeing.

I watched Persona, I thought it was brilliant. I'm not going to try and dip into meaning since I think it'd take me a good while to mould my thoughts into something coherent but it's definitely a great film and it looks incredible.

Revised list:

Belle de Jour - I bought a Buñuel box set a year ago and still not watched a single one of them yet.

Day for Night - Love the last Truffaut film I saw and despite being generally not disposed towards films and making films I'm really interested in seeing this.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Seaniqua posted:

That being said, I really really enjoyed watching Mifune in this movie. What Kurosawa film should I put on my list next?

If you want another great Kurosawa film with Mifune in you should probably add Rashomon next time.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

If in doubt, go with Nicolas Cage.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

That was the big selling point of that Hamlet, that it was the full unabridged text. I'm actually surprised they released an edited version at all.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Raising Arizona is to the Coen Brothers what The Killing is to Kubrick, their first "mature" feature, more watchable than what came previous but still deserving emphasis on "first" (though in this case we could argue that the Coens were always watchable whereas Fear And Desire is a hot mess and Killer's Kiss is pretty for-fans-only).

But... it's their second film, and their first (Blood Simple) is fantastic?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I remember it as being kind of mediocre (though it's been a while) but what I meant is that immediately after this the Coen Brothers put out two genius films that make their previous work look completely amateur (and Kubrick followed The Killing with Paths Of Glory).

Funny, I never rated Miller's Crossing all that highly, but I'd put Blood Simple amongst their best (not quite as good as Barton Fink and A Serious Man, but up there with Fargo). What's good about the Coens is that you can prefer pretty much any of their films with valid reasons, but with Kubrick I don't think you could find anyone who'll rate his first couple as anything better than watchable and perhaps interesting.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Goddamnit. I know that some day I'm going to force myself to watch this movie, but even if CD people find it incredibly boring..

I think it's fantastic, but I do like Philip Glass anyway.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jurgan posted:

I get that it's a product of its time, but the fact is Bond all but rapes Pussy, and that somehow manages to convince her to switch sides. Well, Bond is the man with the golden cock.

To make matters worse, in the book she's a lesbian who is 'cured' by Bond. They play that down a little in the film but it's still kind of there.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Seaniqua posted:

I loved the directing in this movie. I don't know very much about film theory, but I noticed a lot of the shots were mixed with what looked like hand drawn pictures. The biggest example of this, I thought, was outside the UN. There's a shot from the top of the UN building looking down on cars, and you see Thornhill running to a car. I feel like I sound like an idiot describing it but I thought it was cool as poo poo. Same with the Rushmore scene. What's this technique called?

You mean Matte paintings. Funnily enough, the Wikipedia article on it mentions those two shots specifically.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Zogo, you can watch Last Year at Marienbad. Hope you like French people being utterly impenetrable!

It's been 25 months since I was given Solaris to watch. Was it worth it? Kind of. I put it off for ages expecting it to be slow and ponderous and it wasn't quite as slow and ponderous as I'd been expecting.

Something I liked about Stalker was how the discussions between the characters in that film would kind of sketch around the ideas that the film was playing with and leave you to draw that in yourself. Solaris does similarly but there's far too little of it to give anything but the vaguest idea of what the film is putting across. It's a very well made film with a great sense of atmosphere. But it's no Stalker.

It makes me like the Soderbergh version even less though; it's apparent that he never even tried a fresh adaptation so much as making a glossier and more direct version of this one that just doesn't work.

Also managed to watch a whole 1 (one) other film on my list, Pigs and Battleships, which owns. Though I still like Imamura's later films better - this feels like he's still trying to find his feet and imitating the styles of established directors while tying to find his own.

Belle de Jour - I bought a Buñuel box set a year ago and still not watched a single one of them yet.

Ashes and Diamonds - Picked this up on Bluray and know little about it other than it's supposed to be one of the greatest Polish films.

Andrei Rublev - Tarkovski did so few films, getting through his oeuvre should be a breeze!

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Space Cob posted:

Which version of Donnie Darko is most appropriate for a first viewing: the theatrical cut or the director's cut? Or is it negligible and I should just watch whichever I can find first?

You should watch the theatrical cut, then never ever watch the director's cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

This sounds like a pretty drat good way to spend a day.

Watching Godfather and then Godfather part II might be better though.