Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I’ve always eyeballed this thread, but since I’ve basically seen all the horror essentials from that thread I’m gonna finally jump in to this and knock some really shameful omissions off my watch list - hope I’m doing it right!

Dmitri Russkie - you get Arsenic And Old Lace because it’s a very enjoyable hoot.

My List:
12 Years A Slave - a well-regarded recent best picture I never did get around to seeing
Solaris (1972) - I have a feeling I’ll like it, but Tarkovsky always seemed like it would be a slog and I never want to commit to it
My Neighbor Totoro - I’m him, I’m the goon that has seen very little Miyazaki
Manhattan - I’m just not a fan of Woody Allen, though I know his movies are important so I’d like to become at least a little more familiar with them
Stagecoach - I need to watch more classic Westerns
Breathless - It always seemed like I would find it boring so I avoided it forever. That should change!
Paths Of Glory - Don’t tend to watch war movies but this shows up all the time
Paris, Texas - This seems right up my alley and yet I’ve never brought myself to see this neo-noir. That should be fixed.
Scarface - I’ve seen clips, just never got around to watching the whole thing
Wild Strawberries - Need to see more Bergman

Deshamed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Has any Woody Allen film aged worse than Manhattan?

I can pick 'em! Is there a better Woody Allen movie to put in its place? Should I just replace that with something else entirely?

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler
bitterandtwisted, you get to watch Moulin Rouge - such a joyous movie full of life!

Stagecoach was a blast - just a really fun and enjoyable ride with a variety of clearly drawn characters through the dangerous wild West. There are fights, attacks, a duel, and love. The overall message seems to be, don’t judge, walk a mile in someone else’s shoes, all in that very optimistic early Western vibe. I liked it.

My List:
12 Years A Slave - a well-regarded recent best picture I never did get around to seeing
Solaris (1972) - I have a feeling I’ll like it, but Tarkovsky always seemed like it would be a slog and I never want to commit to it
My Neighbor Totoro - I’m him, I’m the goon that has seen very little Miyazaki
Crimes And Misdemeanors - I’m just not a fan of Woody Allen, though I know his movies are important so I’d like to become at least a little more familiar with them - and I changed this from Manhattan based on this thread’s discussion
Rio Bravo (1959) - I’ve got at least one more classic Western that I somehow have never seen in me, adding this to the list!
Breathless - It always seemed like I would find it boring so I avoided it forever. That should change!
Paths Of Glory - Don’t tend to watch war movies but this shows up all the time
Paris, Texas - This seems right up my alley and yet I’ve never brought myself to see this neonoir. That should be fixed.
Wild Strawberries - Need to see more bergman

Deshamed: Stagecoach

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Dmitri Russkie you have a lot of good choices on your list and I was initially going to go with Nemesis just so you can check off the last of the Star Trek movies, but a stiff hit of 80s Transformers almost always sits well. Your pick is Transformers: The Movie.

It’s been over a year since I was given My Neighbor Totoro by bitterandtwisted, but I finally watched it, and it is of course fantastic. A delightful look at childhood wonders and fears. The animation is stunningly gorgeous. The ghosts are cool, cute and terrifying in equal parts, which I think expresses where the girls are - the excitement of a new house and the adventure a new place brings is tempered by the fear of their mother being away from them in a hospital.

My list:

Solaris (1972) (classic scifi) - I have a feeling I’ll like it, but Tarkovsky always seemed like it would be a slog and I never want to commit to it
Spider Man: Into The Spider-Verse (best of animation) - Superhero movies aren’t the first place I look when I’m looking for something to watch, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about this
Rio Bravo (1959) (classic westerns) - I have more classic Westerns that I somehow have never seen in me, adding this to the list!
Paths Of Glory (classic war movies) - Don’t tend to watch war movies but this shows up all the time
Paris, Texas (neonoir) - This seems right up my alley and yet I’ve never brought myself to see this neonoir. That should be fixed.
12 Years A Slave - a well-regarded somewhat recent best picture I never did get around to seeing
Crimes And Misdemeanors - I’m just not a fan of Woody Allen, though I know his movies are important so I’d like to become at least a little more familiar with them - and I changed this from Manhattan based on this thread’s discussion

Deshamed: Stagecoach, My Neighbor Totoro

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Zogo posted:

#92 Elevator to the Gallows - An early Louis Malle that I haven't gotten to yet. 12/21/21

I really liked this when I saw it for a Noirvember, def worth a watch!

Scarface was awesome - over the top epic gangland drama about the drug-fueled American dream of making it big utterly consuming someone. Pacino’s Tony Montana was iconic and that final shootout was sweet! I would’ve liked a bit more of the “rise” part of “rise and fall”, it seemed like the movie skipped a bunch of Tony making it, but this isn’t a Scorcese epic. It focuses a little more on the main character, I felt, while the other characters were much more background.

My List:
Solaris (1972) (classic scifi) - I have a feeling I’ll like it, but Tarkovsky always seemed like it would be a slog and I never want to commit to it
Spider Man: Into The Spider-Verse (best of animation) - Superhero movies aren’t the first place I look when I’m looking for something to watch, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about this
Rio Bravo (1959) (classic westerns) - I have more classic Westerns that I somehow have never seen in me, adding this to the list!
Paths Of Glory (classic war movies) - Don’t tend to watch war movies but this shows up all the time
Paris, Texas (neonoir) - This seems right up my alley and yet I’ve never brought myself to see this neonoir. That should be fixed.
12 Years A Slave - a well-regarded somewhat recent best picture I never did get around to seeing
Raging Bull (TSPDT1000) - I never seem to be in the mood for a boxing movie, so I’ve been skipping this my whole life

Deshamed: Stagecoach, My Neighbor Totoro, Scarface

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Zogo posted:

#104 Demon Hag AKA Onibaba - A Japanese horror film with a good reputation. 3/28/22

I rewatched this recently and really enjoyed it, so passing it on!

Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse - This was a lot of fun. The story was tight and contained and gave just enough room to have a lot of fun with all the different kinds of spider people and the various art styles that went along with them, an absolute joy to watch. The movie moved along at a tight pace with a lot of good interaction between the characters and there was always something to catch the eye. I recently have been playing some Champions Online for nostalgia reasons and this really captured the feel of what that game was kinda about. Aces.

My Shameful List:
The Iron Giant (best of animation) - Continuing with animated movies that passed me by all these years
Raging Bull (TSPDT1000) - I never seem to be in the mood for a boxing movie, so I’ve been skipping this my whole life

Deshamed: Stagecoach, My Neighbor Totoro, Scarface, Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Heavy Metal posted:

Le Samourai - I've heard about this for over 20 years, since John Woo is a fan of it. Could be cool.

Cooler than cool, and the inspiration on John Woo (and maybe more on point Luc Besson) will shine

Paris, Texas - I don’t know what I read years ago that led me to thinking this was a gritty neonoir crime drama - it certainly wasn’t that. What it was was stark, moving, beautiful. The performances were quiet, almost subdued, but great, the landscape was incredible, and the entire movie confidently moved towards a very moving climax. This is one I’ll be revisiting. Harry Dean Stanton was, indeed, intense, but in a brooding quiet way.

My Shameful? List:
The Iron Giant (best of animation) - Continuing with animated movies that passed me by all these years
Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (neonoir) - A newish classic, shows up on a lot of lists, feel like maybe I should see it, at least the first one?

Deshamed: Stagecoach, My Neighbor Totoro, Scarface, Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse, Paris Texas

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Basebf555 posted:

1. Singin in the Rain: I've always avoided musicals but recently that's changed and I've been enjoying them. Not all of them, but I'm willing to roll the dice.

I was bouncing between this and Watership Down and I think there should be a little more joy in the world before tackling bleak rabbits so enjoy this!

Solaris (1972) - A man is sent to a space station orbiting a (possibly) living planet to figure out why the remaining crew are going crazy. This was a great movie - surprisingly not quite the slow burn I was expecting, but not that quick either. It ruminates on identity and perhaps moreso on how people (and planets?) relate - I like another review I read afterwards that talked about how it asks how well can you truly know someone - I felt that in spades.

My Shameful List:
Stalker (1979) (classic scifi) - Keeping the Tarkovsky train rolling - another classic that I haven’t seen
Rio Bravo (1959) (classic westerns) - I have more classic Westerns that I have never seen, adding this to the list!
Paths Of Glory (classic war movies) - I don’t tend to watch war movies but this shows up all the time in lists
Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (neonoir) - A newish classic, shows up on a lot of lists, feel like maybe I should see it, at least the first one?

Deshamed: Stagecoach, My Neighbor Totoro, Scarface, Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse, Paris Texas, Solaris (1972)

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Zogo posted:

#105 Scarlet Street - A Fritz Lang film with a good reputation. 4/4/22

I remember liking this quite a bit, and EGR is almost always a good watch.

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2009) - An unflinching movie, no joke about the sexual assault warnings - the brutal rape was just that, brutal. It was at times harrowing, but during some of the investigative portions felt a little flat to me - the interactions with the Vanger family felt lifeless at times. I was watching with subs, maybe it was just not knowing Swedish. The lead performances were tight, though. The plot did its job of twisting and turning just enough to provide interest, but the pendulum of suspicion didn’t swing between enough of the family members often enough. But I also felt it was maybe a bit longer than it needed to be, and can’t really have it both ways. I liked it well enough that I’ll need to check out the rest of the Millenium trilogy, regardless.

My Shameful List:
Stalker (1979) (classic scifi) - Keeping the Tarkovsky train rolling - another classic that I haven’t seen
Rio Bravo (1959) (classic westerns) - I have more classic Westerns that I have never seen, adding this to the list!
Paths Of Glory (classic war movies) - I don’t tend to watch war movies but this shows up all the time in lists
The Bad Sleep Well (neonoir) - Crime, Thriller, Drama - close enough, and late enough maybe to get the neo- prefix. I’ve seen Kurosawa before, but not many that aren’t period pieces.

Deshamed: Stagecoach, My Neighbor Totoro, Scarface, Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse, Paris Texas, Solaris (1972), Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2009)

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Zogo posted:

#114 Dreamscape - Dennis Quaid and dreams. 6/11/22

Maybe it's just because there's starting to be some seasonal talk about Nightmare On Elm Street, but dreams have been on my mind, so you get this one!

Raging Bull - I finally watched this. I’ve seen Taxi Driver and have seen Goodfellas many times, but I think DeNiro’s performance as Jake is probably the most nuanced I’ve seen from him - not as completely broken a person as Travis was in Taxi Driver, and not as simply cool and confident as Jimmy in Goodfellas. The use of black and white was interesting - the only color portions were in home film footage of Jake presumably when he was emotionally the happiest and most stable, as his kids were born before the divorce. Excellently shot, and great performances all around.

My Shameful List:
The Bad Sleep Well (neonoir) - Crime, Thriller, Drama - close enough, and late enough maybe to get the neo- prefix. I’ve seen Kurosawa before, but not many that aren’t period pieces.
Persona (TSPDT1000) - Another They Shoot Pictures selection

Deshamed: Stagecoach, My Neighbor Totoro, Scarface, Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse, Paris Texas, Solaris (1972), Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2009), Raging Bull

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Crescent Wrench posted:

You have a lot of tempting choices on your list, but I suspect this one in partiuclar might not be what you were imagining in terms of tone and entertainment value.

LIST OF SHAME:
3. The Searchers (1956) (added 06-03-22): Although I like westerns, I do not think I have ever seen a John Wayne movie.

I really liked The Searchers, and it seems as good a place as any to start with John Wayne.

Breathless - You were right, Richard Gere definitely brings an energy to this that I didn’t expect!

j/k, I watched the Godard movie. A car thief shoots a police officer, beginning a police hunt while he tries to convince a woman he reconnects with to flee to Italy with him. The movie comes out in the dialogue and it seems to have its own relationship to movies. I need to read some more about it to really place it (and the entire French New Wave) in its context so I understand a bit more about what the movie is doing, because there are definite places where it feels really amateurish. Both main characters worked in the movies, the man, Michel, clearly identifies with cool cucumbers like Humphrey Bogart but the events he’s involved in are never allowed to be that cool - weirdly edited, almost like mistakes rather than intentional edits. Shots are kept uncomfortably long or confusingly short. Cuts rob us of seeing the action (kinda reminded me of how You Were Never Really Here keeps the violence off-screen). I suspect that letting this sit with me, maybe rewatching in a month or two and I’ll see more relationships with later movies. Afterward I did watch the nerdwriter1 video about this, that helped with some of that context for sure. This has definitely piqued my interest in seeing more French New Wave.

My Shameful List:
The 400 Blows (French New Wave) - Whelp, Breathless piqued my interest, so let’s go!
12 Years A Slave (Best Picture winners) - a well-regarded somewhat recent best picture I never did get around to seeing

Deshamed: Stagecoach, My Neighbor Totoro, Scarface, Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse, Paris Texas, Solaris (1972), Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2009), Raging Bull, Breathless (1960)

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Zogo posted:

#155 The Hidden - Sounds like a unique premise. 10/3/23

This was a cool movie and you should watch this.

It only took a year and some change to finally watch

12 Years A Slave

A moving and unflinching look at the harrowing story of a free black man kidnapped and sold into slavery in the American pre-war South. Stacked cast. Beautiful photography and some very striking shots. While it didn’t seem there was much new to say about the evil of slavery I thought Chiwetel Ejiofor did a great job portraying someone used to freedom dealing with the horror of suddenly being trapped in that. Even small kindnesses were more what you’d give a beloved pet than a person. The ending was a little weak, with deus ex bradpittia, but otherwise it was a very strong film and I’m very glad I finally watched it.

I have now also seen Paths Of Glory, which was on this list previously. It was excellent and not at all what I was expecting. Strong performance and another harrowing story.

My Shameful List:
Bridge On The River Kwai (classic war movies) - I don’t tend to watch war movies but this shows up all the time in lists
The 400 Blows (French New Wave) - Whelp, Breathless piqued my interest, so let’s go!
Terms Of Endearment (Best Picture winners) - something I’m not likely to see without some spurring, and continue to see all best picture winners
Annie Hall - I’m just not a fan of Woody Allen but I’d like to become at least a little more familiar with them

Deshamed: Stagecoach, My Neighbor Totoro, Scarface, Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse, Paris Texas, Solaris (1972), Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2009), Raging Bull, Breathless (1960), 12 Years A Slave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Zogo posted:

#162 The Naked Spur - Another Western with a good reputation. 12/20/23

I haven't seen any of the movies on your list but I was on a Western kick myself, so give this a go!

Rio Bravo

This was good! I wanted to see it both because its an all time Western classic but also more specifically the main inspiration behind Assault On Precinct 13. This was a lot more character focused, with multiple characters going on internal journeys and finding out a little about themselves (and each other). John Wayne’s character and arc were a little more sentimental than I’m used to, and Dean Martin’s drunk crawling out of the bottle was great - not overly dramatic or nonsensical. There were some tense scenes, some decent action, a lot of funny moments.

My Shameful List:
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (classic westerns) - more classic Westerns
Bridge On The River Kwai (classic war movies) - I don’t tend to watch war movies but this shows up all the time in lists
Terms Of Endearment (Best Picture winners) - something I’m not likely to see without some spurring, and continue to see all best picture winners
Annie Hall - I’m just not a fan of Woody Allen but I’d like to become at least a little more familiar with them

Deshamed: Stagecoach, My Neighbor Totoro, Scarface, Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse, Paris Texas, Solaris (1972), Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2009), Raging Bull, Breathless (1960), 12 Years A Slave, Rio Bravo