Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The Machine, making me choose between Rear Window and the 400 Blows is agonizing, but The 400 Blows it is! (Although if I could recommend you any film you haven't seen, it would be North by Northwest because... it's... awesome!)

Here are the films:

1.) La Dolce Vita
Oh god it's three hours

2.) Les Enfants du Paradis
195 minutes please don't make me watch this fuuuuck

3.) Breathless
I've just never had a context for watching this, it's even short i like short movies

4.) Night of the Hunter
Again, no excuse at all, I just don't know anyone who watches this stuff

5.) Ordet
Honestly I've never even heard anyone reference this one before so who knows???

6.) L'Avventura
Dunno anything about it!!!

7.) Persona
I've only seen the Seventh Seal but it was sort of boring but prove me wrong!!!

8.) Andrei Rublev
Nooooo 185 minutes noooooo

9.) It's a Wonderful Life
I can't believe I haven't seen this

10.) The Magnificent Ambersons
I was waiting for them to find the original cut

I got my films from this ranking which has proved pretty good in the past, check it

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Nroo, you have an assload of great movies on that list. I'm gonna have to go with Tokyo Story, just because Vertigo is better the more Hitchcock you've watched (although it's amazing on every viewing).

While I was gone, I watched La Dolce Vita by my own volition and Night of the Hunter as recommended. La Dolce Vita, I think, would have been better to watch a decade ago than now. I'm now so instantly suspicious of glamor, and was so exhausted from empty partying when I watched it, that I became extremely detached from Guido. It felt like I already knew what he needed to learn, and he was never really capable of surprising me.

Night of the Hunter was beautiful, of course. The shot of the children's mother in the car underwater getting caught by a fishhook was pretty unforgettable. I didn't quite understand the resolution, however, and why Mitchum ended up being tripped up by a cat, running away in a manner most easily compared with Daffy Duck. It was excellent, it's just not quite something that moved me.

What did, however, was Hitchcock's Notorious. Holy poo poo, this movie was loving amazing. It has that unbelievable cinematography, but also one of the most brutal romances I've ever seen. I cannot recommend this film highly enough - it's my new favorite.

Here's my list:

1.) Les Enfants du Paradis
195 minutes please don't make me watch this fuuuuck

2.) Breathless
I've just never had a context for watching this, it's even short i like short movies

3.) Ordet
Honestly I've never even heard anyone reference this one before so who knows???

4.) L'Avventura
Dunno anything about it!!!

5.) Persona
I've only seen the Seventh Seal but it was sort of boring but prove me wrong!!!

6.) Andrei Rublev
Nooooo 185 minutes noooooo

7.) It's a Wonderful Life
I can't believe I haven't seen this

8.) The Magnificent Ambersons
Also short, hell yeah

9.) Ugetsu Monogatari
I need more Japan in my life

10.) Jules et Jim
Loved the 400 Blows, want more Truffaut in my life

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 4, 2010

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

mikewozere posted:

I saw that part, I was just blinded by my misogyny and think that Ilsa shouldn't be in a love with two people. I just feel sorry for Victor really.
Seriously, watch Notorious. It's the anti-Casablanca and your heart will loving break for Ingrid Bergman this time

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Nroo posted:

Wait, what's going on :(
I dunno, Magic Hate Ball just gave two recommendations I didn't know how to react.

But Magic Hate Ball, I haven't seen many of the movies on your list, watch Ikiru - while I can't speak to most of the ones your list, that one's pretty rad.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 4, 2010

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Skutter posted:

I didn't find it tragic. I thought it was great that he included that in his writing. It was very different for the times, which I can appreciate. Especially the fact that he had her and the nurse climb a fence while wearing dresses, had them digging around in a garden for a dead body and then had Kelly climb up the side of a building and break into the killer's apartment. Crazy for the times. It's funny you mention all that because I was talking about that with my husband last night (seeing it all before so you don't enjoy the original) and I don't think that has anything to do with it. I can appreciate the old stuff just as well as the new; I just didn't like the movie.
The scene where Grace Kelly is digging around the apartment and the guy's coming to the door and Jimmy Stewart is just watching is the closest I've come to throwing up at a movie. Like it was just so sickening. UNreal