Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

bad movie knight posted:

Oh, it's great. It's really great. Someday it will be regarded as a classic.

Pretty sure it already is, at least as much as any movie from this century can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

the Bunt go watch Lawrence of Arabia. Actually, everything on your list, but start there.

The Decalogue: I know I'll love this, I've seen the first 4 episodes, but I want to watch it all in a relatively short timespan and keep putting it off.

Greed and Napoleon 4 hour silents, I wonder why I haven't seen them? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching them.

Those three are the only films in the TSPDT top 150 I haven't seen.

Satantango Hey there's maybe a pattern in the films I haven't seen.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

Last Tango In Paris I don't know, always got the impression this would be boring, not sure why.

Lola Montes Had no way to watch a good copy of this until Criterion put it out recently. No real excuses any more.

Neotpravlennoye pismo My top rated film on Criticker.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Uh Oh, Peaceful Anarchy. I haven't seen any of the films you haven't seen. How odd. Well, from what I hear, I recommend Last Tango in Paris
I may not have the depth of viewing FFD has, but I do make a point of watching most popular movies along with critically acclaimed old and foreign stuff, so I couldn't really go that route. Of the 261 films with over 85000 votes on IMdb The Passion of the Christ is the only one I haven't seen.

Bedevere posted:

8-10. Amelie, Snatch, Transformers, etc. These qualify as "great" films?

These films have nothing in common. Amelie is legitimately great and miles above Snatch, which in turn is really good and miles above Transformers.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 1, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

OneThousandMonkeys, you didn't recommend a movie to Bedevere

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Apparently my list was so shameful, nobody wanted to recommend me one to watch. :smith:

Sure you did, you got recommended Night of the Hunter.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

sursumdeorsum posted:

1)The Godfather Trilogy - I am constantly hearing about these movies. Everyone always says the 3rd is the worst, the 2nd is the best, so I wonder if I should even bother with the movies at all since it ends on a lovely note apparently?

I haven't seen the third film and in no way do I feel the stories of the first two are incomplete. It was released 16 years after the second.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

thegloaming posted:

WHEN YOU REPORT ON YOUR MOST RECENT VIEWING... PLEASE ASSIGN A FILM FROM A PREVIOUS POSTER'S LIST FOR HIM/HER TO WATCH. :siren:
:siren: MAKE SURE THE POSTER TO WHOM YOU RECOMMEND A MOVIE HASN'T ALREADY BEEN ASSIGNED A FILM.

How is this going to work? After I view my film, hopefully tomorrow, I'll post a review and then recommend to the last person, what does the next person do? Everyone should then, theoretically, have a film recommended to them.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

The Red Shoes I'm scared of musicals

This is really nothing like any other musicals and it's great.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Original Name, go watch Badlands, you won't regret it.

bad movie knight posted:

Whenever Marlon Brando gets a hold of some butter, it's never boring.
Yeah, it's not boring, but I'd struggle to call it good. That's one awkward scene that encapsulates the awkwardness of the whole film. I'm still not sure what I thought of the whole thing.

On the one hand there's a lot to like in the production. Brando gives a great performance, ranging from vulnerable widow to creepy rear end in a top hat and the rest of the cast is pretty good too. Leaud's role is small but so energetic and definitely a contrast to the rest of the film, and Schneider's vacillations between vulnerability, disgust and joy seem genuine ( and from what little I've read may very well have been. The photography is nowhere near The Conformist, my only other experience with Bertolucci, but it still had some great moments. On the other hand, the actual content is totally unappealing to me. It's not even disgusting or shocking, just nothing I can even remotely relate to or sympathize with. If it weren't for the performances I would, in fact, have been bored.

So my list is now:

The Decalogue: I know I'll love this, I've seen the first 4 episodes, but I want to watch it all in a relatively short timespan and keep putting it off.

Greed and Napoleon 4 hour silents, I wonder why I haven't seen them? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching them.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

Lola Montes Had no way to watch a good copy of this until Criterion put it out recently. No real excuses any more.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

A Passage to India I love the three Lean epics I've seen, Lawrence, Bridge and Zhivago, but this one I've just never bothered to watch for no good reason other than it's almost 3 hours.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TonTon posted:

I don't know any of your films, Peaceful Anarchy :( So I say Lola Monte, because it seems like you were leaning that way anyway. I hope it's good!

Honestly, except for Neotpravlennoye pismo which I only learned about a few weeks ago, these are all films I've wanted to watch for at least a couple of years but keep putting off, generally because of their length. Lola Montes is only two hours long, though, so I should be watching it tomorrow night, and even if I don't like it it's sure to be a visual treat.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Truffaut just doesn't get me like Godard does. Godard set out to revolutionize film, but it feels like Truffaut set out to idolize film.
This is oversimplified but seems like a fair assessment. Not that they didn't both try to do a bit of both, but Godard was definitely much more experimental and daring both in subject matter and technique. Really though, both were using film to express different things, Godard is much more of a political filmmaker, and even his earlier works show glimpses of where he was going. This required breaking conventions to express opposition. Truffaut's films are much more personal and he uses cinematic conventions to his advantage to express emotional complexities.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

They're kind of fitfully brilliant, but the guy was totally unable to tell a tightly paced, continuously compelling story. His films just go and go, like he wound up the spring and then kind of sat back and let it run.

I take this to mean you prefer the more dynamic pacing of early Godard, but framing it in this way is unfair, considering Godard's storytelling abilities are incredibly weak. Also, the pacing in Truffaut's films is intentional, often to heighten the sense of isolation or frustration, or, in the case of Jules and Jim, to help give the sense that you're watching a film taking place over several decades. His films go and go because that's how life is and what Truffaut is trying to express.

I don't love or hate either of the two, but from what I've seen Truffaut is always very good to great, whereas Godard's daring can be very entertaining and great but also really grating or just plain uninteresting.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Go watch Fanny and Alexander, the long version, Wilhelm Scream.

Lola Montes Not quite great but still a very good film with some rough edges. As I expected the visuals were really nice, and though I've seen better they kept me watching through some of the slower moments. I've now seen 7 Ophuls films and it's pretty clear his thing was commenting on the way women are restricted by social norms, especially in romance. This isn't particularly something I care to see over and over and I'd say he's done it better in other films but Lola Montes does have a few things going for it. The circus show framing is original and while awkward at first gives us some very good moments, including a superb finale. Though the composition and camerawork has been better in other Ophuls films, this one being in colour offers a unique extravagance with its sets and costumes coming to life. After the intro I'll admit the film felt really slow and meandering for a while, never giving us enough reason to care about Lola, but around the halfway mark it all began to gel together and by the end I was quite involved in the film. So all in all, not great but a more positive experience than Last Tango in Paris.

Let's give this another go::

A Passage to India I love the three Lean epics I've seen, Lawrence, Bridge and Zhivago, but this one I've just never bothered to watch for no good reason other than it's almost 3 hours.

First Blood In looking for popular films I haven't seen I realized this stands out. I'm kind of curious about it but in my mind Rambo is synonymous with 80's U.S. imperialism so I never really bothered.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The next person should just pick for both you and codyclarke. I'll do it in a few hours after I watch Rambo if no one else does.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

halokiller you picked the only movie I wasn't going to pick on LesterGroans's list. Cinema Paradiso is way overrated. I'll pick Memento because I watched it not too long ago and loved it more than the first time. It's not really a mindfuck movie, though.

Well, I must say I was impressed by First Blood. It's not quite a great film but it's so much better than I expected. It's a much more thoughtful film than I would have imagined, though it certainly has more than it's share of explosions and violence, with an interesting dynamic between Rambo and the police. Rambo's disturbed combat vet aspect is really well played with a slow steady reveal of the depth of his madness and the small town police is a good foil. It gets a bit too ridiculous at times but I can forgive that.

Updated list:

Lolita No real reason here, considered watching it a few times but other things came up.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

bad movie knight posted:

The movie doesn't portray it as madness. I mean, he does have a PTSD moment, but he's not loony-bin crazy. It's funny how perception of this film changes over 30 years.

Yeah madness is probably not the right word, but it's more than just a PTSD moment. By the time he's rigging traps in the woods and luring the police into them I'd say there's some pretty deliberate planning there and not quite sane actions. He was pushed to snap, but a lot of what follows goes beyond flashbacks and stress, and by the end he's clearly seeking conflict.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Voodoofly posted:

Talk to her - I've watched a couple Almodovar films in film school. I've realized that there are a lot of movies I saw in film school that I completely didn't appreciate, whether because I've matured since then, or because I was simply being overloaded with movies. I wasn't a huge fan of the movies I saw from what I remember, but time to get back on the saddle.
Meh, I don't really care for Almodovar either. I seem to end up watching a film of his every year or so and, while I get what he's trying to do a lot more than when I saw and hated All about my mother 7 or 8 years ago, I still find it hard to have a more positive reaction than, "I guess that was good."

quote:

The New World - Badlands is one of my favorite movies ever. Days of Heaven is beautiful. The Thin Red Line grows on me every year. I have no excuse for not seeing this one yet (hell, I've even been a longtime Colin Farrell fan since Tigerland).

Yi Yi - I know it's from a Taiwanese filmmaker, and people seem to love it. That's about it.
Ooh, these are two I need to see too. Guess they'll be on my list after I watch Lolita

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

cool kids inc. posted:

8. Dr. Strangelove Kubrick is very hit and miss for me. 2001 bored me to tears, but I LOVED Full Metal Jacket and The Shining. On that note...

I've now seen all of Kubrick's major films and 2001 is the only I didn't like. Dr. Stranglove is absolutely amazing and hilarious so go watch it.

Lolita was pretty drat good, probably the best of the four I've now seen from this thread. It changes tone a few times from dark comedy to creepy drama and back but is always enjoyable despite making you feel a bit uneasy. The performances are all great, but I think I liked Sellers the best, the peripheral role allows him some great liberties. There's some great innuendo in the writing but as a whole the film feels a bit restrained, relying too much on the audience just knowing what's going on behind the scenes. I just finished watching it so I'll have to let it sit a while to decide what I think about it's themes. It mixes obsession, lust and love but I'm not really sure what it's saying about the subject other than the powerful nature of them.

Updated list:

The New World I've loved Malick's other three films but I seem to recall this not getting very good reviews when it was released, though I've seen nothing but praise for it lately.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Hellbunny posted:

6 Dr. Strangelove Seems pretty cool and Iconic, Impossible to find though.

In what way is this impossible to find?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

SneakySneaks, you get to go watch Amelie.

Watched the extended cut of The New World and while it was long it was absolutely everything I would have hoped it would be. The images are stunning from start to finish and the story, while slow, is a very lyrical examination of love and human relationships. It's a real shame Malick has only made 4 films because he's got some serious talent.

Updated list:

Yi-Yi All I know about this is that it's one of the highest regarded films of the past 10 years, it's Chinese and it's 3 hours long.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Glad you liked The New World, I never expected it to be what it really was.

Plot wise I did expect something a little different, but in terms of mood and aesthetic it's spot on with I'd expect from Malick.

The Machine posted:

Peaceful Anarchy I command thee to finish off The Decalogue. I chose that for two reasons: One, I'm familiar with it, having seen #10 (and only that!), and two, because it's the only thing on your list I'm familiar with. :gonk:

Welp, I guess my streak of watching one off my list each day is over. I'll probably watch two episodes a day and be done by Friday.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

I saw Pickpocket a few years ago and didn't love it, partially because of that. I saw Diary of a Country Priest back in high school and loved it, so I guess my tastes have just changed. I have his Joan of Arc sitting on my to-watch pile.

I find his style works better in some films than others, and Joan of Arc is probably where it works best. It's my favourite of his films, but the fact that it was one of the last ones I saw and knew what to expect may have played a role in that. I should rewatch some of the first ones I watched and see how I feel about them now.

Action Andy posted:

Kind Hearts And Coronets

Since you're not following the thread anyway I'm going to tell you that this is what you need to watch next.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

bad movie knight posted:

"LesterGroans Eats His Hat," a film by Les Blank.

I hope whoever recommends thegloaming's next movie reads that post and picks something else.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

thegloaming posted:

I'll never see Aguirre at this rate! :argh:

Actually, you could watch Aguirre right now and we all win. You watch a great movie and since it won't be on your next list we all get to see LesterGroans eat a hat.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

thegloaming posted:

Yes, I should punish him for making me watch THE GREATEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME.

Pretty sure he's making you watch The Godfather, not Casablanca, so he didn't even pick the greatest movie on your list :colbert:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

bananasinpajamas posted:

I want to join in on the fun but I haven't seen any of Lester's so I can't recommend one :(

That's fine, you can't really go wrong with his list, though I wouldn't pick Mystic River.

On another note, I've rewatched the first four episodes of the Dekalog and it's great.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

meanmikhail, watch Pather Panchali you won't regret it.

Hell yes, I just watched the decalogue and it's great. I was a tiny bit disappointed at first when I realized it's not, in fact, the greatest thing ever but once I accepted that I should judge it on it's own merits I thought it really worked. There was one weak episode, but it was surrounded by such greatness that it didn't matter. I'll write more about it in the Rate the latest movie thread in a bit.

Updated list:

Yi-Yi All I know about this is that it's one of the highest regarded films of the past 10 years, it's Chinese and it's 3 hours long.

In a Year of 13 Moons I just watched Petra von Kant on Sunday and it made me realize I've only seen 3 Fassbinder films and need to check out more of his work. This should be a lot less daunting than Berlin Alexanderplatz.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Does anybody even know how to get Neotpravlennoye pismo? Is it even on DVD? It seems like one of those things that shoots up to the top of the list because a bunch of Criticker users saw it as some festival and tier 10'd it.

There's a Russian DVD and criticker users are resourceful and located around the world, so while it's not the easiest film to find it's not that hard either. I'll be watching it this afternoon.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cailin Rua, go watch Vertigo, it satisfies your Hitchcock and Jimmy Stewart needs.

Neotpravlennoye pismo: :aaaaa: Holy loving hell, what an absolutely stunning film. Visually it's almost on par with The Cranes are Flying as one of the best examples of black and white cinematography I've ever seen. Not only is it beautiful, but the visuals always fit what's going on in the story, and that synergy translates into an absolutely captivating experience. The Soviet allegory is obvious but not blunt at all and easily applicable to the broader human experience. I can't praise this enough, I'm so glad I saw it and so sad it doesn't have a release in the U.S. so more people could watch it.

Updated list:

Those are the only two films in the TSPDT top 150 I haven't seen.

In a Year of 13 Moons I just watched Petra von Kant on Sunday and it made me realize I've only seen 3 Fassbinder films and need to check out more of his work. This should be a lot less daunting than Berlin Alexanderplatz.

Soy Cuba Well gently caress, I need to see more Kalatozov and this is probably his most renowned film. I've put it off because I'd heard the propaganda was too blunt, but at this point I don't care.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

So, when are you going to get around to watching Shrek?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

thegloaming posted:

Does this mean LesterGroans has to eat his own hat?

Yes, I believe it does.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

thegloaming posted:

Does this also mean I'm never going to see Aguirre? :(

Sure you will, but first you have to watch the better movies on your list. Not seeing TGTBTU or Casablanca or 12 Angry Men is a million times more shameful than not watching Aguirre. Aguirre is still great though and I wouldn't classify it as "boring but beautiful European "thinking" film" at all. Would you classify Fitzcarraldo as that?

The faster you watch those other movies the faster you get to Aguirre.

Wilhelm Scream posted:

You got off easy, I listed one that was 312 minutes (loving TV Versions), I'll be getting to Fanny and Alexander this weekend but still, drat you whoever told me to watch it (too lazy to go back and check).

It was me. I was made to watch the Decalogue though, so those 600 minutes has you both beat.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 12, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I've only seen the TV version of F&A and the theatrical version of Scenes from a Marriage. I can see how more of Scenes from a Marriage might be interesting, but a cut F&A doesn't seem like it would work nearly as well.

Criminal Minded posted:

Also, I'd jump into this but the OP says to make your choice the next film you watch and I am incapable of keeping that promise. :( If nobody minds me being a little late (I won't take two months like I did in the "Suggest a Movie to the Previous Poster" thread, I swear!) I'll toss together a list though.

Most people don't seem to be following that rule literally so I'd say go for it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

marioinblack I could pick nearly anything on your list so we'll start at the top. Watch Casablanca.

Watched A Passage to India and it was very good. Visually the compositions were only a slight bit below Lean's best which is still miles above nearly everyone else. If nothing else the man knew how to frame images. The story, about the social relationship between an Indian man, a British woman and an Indian-British Professor, was a bit plodding at the beginning, but it did work and set up a wonderful second half with tension and a hint of mystery. The middle of the film was more atmospheric than I expected, reminiscent of Picnic at Hanging Rock, and helped transition the film from exposition to denouement.

Updated list:

Soy Cuba Well gently caress, I need to see more Kalatozov and this is probably his most renowned film. I've put it off because I'd heard the propaganda was too blunt, but at this point I don't care.

Chelsea Girls A 3 hour film directed by Andy Warhol. That's the extent of my knowledge about this, I've never seen anything by Warhol so I'm curious.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

thegloaming posted:

I think I probably just need to be in the right mood and then go on a Fellini mini-marathon. That's the only way that guy's gonna make an impression on me. Even 8 1/2 wasn't a movie I absolutely adored, something about it holds me back from making such declarations...

You know, it's possible you may not like Fellini. I loved 8 1/2 but every other Fellini film I've seen has been at most above average and at worst trash. Like penismightier said he constantly recycles his obsessions and frankly they're very shallow obsessions.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

KCChiefsDude you're going to watch Casablanca too.

Watched Yi-Yi, it's not top of the decade good in my book, but certainly a strong film and possibly one I'd get more out of rewatching it in a few years. My two main issues were that it was a little long and took too detached a view of the characters. The exploration of different phases of life was interesting and I liked the way it shifted between the characters pretty seamlessly, even though it meant that for a while I had trouble connecting them all together.

Updated list:

Chelsea Girls A 3 hour film directed by Andy Warhol. That's the extent of my knowledge about this, I've never seen anything by Warhol so I'm curious.

The Last Emperor The only Best Picture winner of the past 60 years that I haven't seen, it's one of those films I always felt I'd watch eventually but wasn't an urgent interest.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

VorpalBunny posted:

Peaceful Anarchy, I have always regarded your list as a mindfuck and pitied any person who had to recommend a film to you. As luck would have it, that is now me! So, enjoy...The Last Emperor. I hope it's good.

Yeah I kind of feel sorry for people having to pick a movie for me, but it's not that bad. They're all movies I want to see for some reason or other so even if I don't like them it's not a big deal. And other than when I had The Letter Never Sent nothing on the list is that obscure and maybe seeing them on my list will make someone check them out. I just happen to have worked on making sure to see the most popular/acclaimed films, 4 years ago my list would have been much like everyone else's here, except Casablanca, how can you people not have seen Casablanca?

I shall be watching The Last Emperor tomorrow afternoon.

FitFortDanga posted:

Shrek finally came in at the library, so I'll be watching it sometime this week. Then I'm redoing my list, I don't think "most voted on movies at iMDB" is going to work out for me. Maybe I'll go with my highest PSI's at Criticker.

How about a compromise like most voted films on Imdb or criticker but with a minimum score. It'll keep stuff like The Prestige, which you really should watch, and get rid of Transformers which you really shouldn't.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

The Red Shoes I'm scared of musicals

Someone better make you watch The Red Shoes soon, every time I see this I wish it was my turn.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

tokillthesunflower watch Tokyo Story.

Watched The Last Emperor it was ok, above average even. Nice photography, though some of the camerawork is not so great and the best compositions are ruined by Statoro's stupid cropping. The story's interesting but felt lacking in many places, especially for a film that's as long as this one.

Updated list:

Olympia I don't think Triumph of the will is that great so this isn't something I've made much of an effort to watch it but I do have a nagging curiosity to see it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

OH MY GOD BEN HUR IS SO LONG

And it feels every minute of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The Machine, you should watch Spartacus. Some people say it's lesser Kubrick but it's still a great film.

At the start I didn't like In a Year with 13 Moons the characters were strange but not that interesting and it kept reminding me of Almodovar, who I don't like much. But somewhere along the way it hooked me, the broken down shell of a person who's desperately trying to make sense of his/her life is very interesting, even if not wholly sympathetic. There were some minor annoyances, like the rambling monologues, but by the end the strengths more than overcame them. Everything in the film is depressing, but I actually didn't find the film itself depressing, just kind of sad, which is a good thing because if it made you as depressed as the content it'd be unbearable. I also have to mention the line dancing to a Rock Hudson movie which was absolutely hilarious and perfectly appropriate.

Updated list:

Olympia I don't think Triumph of the will is that great so this isn't something I've made much of an effort to watch it but I do have a nagging curiosity to see it.

The Big Red One Apparently it's a pretty well regarded war movie.