Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Schweinhund, For a Few Dollars More is about to rock your world.

As for my list, I just criticker'd my PSIs for a list of Netflix Instant Watch movies; I got a pretty good sounding crop o' movies:

1. Fanny and Alexander: I have seen zero Bergman outside of Seventh Seal.

2. 8 1/2: I have seen zero Fellini, period.

3. Grand Illusion: All I know about this movie is that all film buffs think it's great and that Woody Allen references it at least once. Sounds like my cup of tea.

4. Rashomon: I've seen a good chunk of Kurosawa's stuff, but in his case, there's always more great stuff to be seen.

5. The Rules of the Game: Another Renoir, apparently. The only Renoir I've seen is The Crime of Monsieur Lange, which I hated, but I also saw it when I was 15 and hated everything that didn't have Bruce Campbell in it.

6. Stroszek: My experiences with Herzog's famous stuff is really limited. I've pretty much only seen his recent stuff.

7. The Wages of Fear: I don't know, it's old and it's French. It's probably good.

8. Paths of Glory: I don't know why I haven't watched this. I know early Kubrick is great; I loving love The Killing and Spartacus.

9. Brief Encounter: I have no idea what's up with this one, but David Lean is solid, so I'm game.

10. The Godfather: Part II: This is my deepest, darkest shame. I am a humongous Gordon Willis fan, but then again, who isn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

FitFortDanga posted:

Well, there are Truffaut people and there are Godard people. It's rare to find someone who loves both. Almost every Godard movie has left me cold.

Oh, thank god. I thought it was just me. I love Truffaut to the max because I feel like he's in touch with humanity but Godard just feels weird and pretentious.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

LesterGroans posted:

^^^There is nothing not 100 percent true in this post

Incidentally, I've got a Dog Day Afternoon thread incoming.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
drat, some of you guys are champs about this. I just got Godfather part 2 in the mail, and it'll still be a while because I want to watch the first one again.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

thegloaming posted:

1. The Godfather, Part II
This seems like the logical choice. I'm curious to see if what many people call "the better film" is, in fact, better. I'm not in any rush to see it though.

This was what I just had to watch, and the greatest gift I can think of right now is to grant the same amazing experience to you.

I feel like such an idiot for ignoring this movie for so long. I loved it more than the first film. Gordon Willis is truly one of the master cinematographers of the 20th century; the kind of things he can bring out with darkness are truly impressive. There were brilliant performances by just about everyone; I especially adored John Cazale's work. I doubt I could uniquely say anything about it beyond this point, so I'll stop.

My list:

3. Grand Illusion: All I know about this movie is that all film buffs think it's great and that Woody Allen references it at least once. Sounds like my cup of tea.

4. Rashomon: I've seen a good chunk of Kurosawa's stuff, but in his case, there's always more great stuff to be seen.

5. The Rules of the Game: Another Renoir, apparently. The only Renoir I've seen is The Crime of Monsieur Lange, which I hated, but I also saw it when I was 15 and hated everything that didn't have Bruce Campbell in it.

6. Stroszek: My experiences with Herzog's famous stuff is really limited. I've pretty much only seen his recent stuff.

7. The Wages of Fear: I don't know, it's old and it's French. It's probably good.

8. Paths of Glory: I don't know why I haven't watched this. I know early Kubrick is great; I loving love The Killing and Spartacus.

9. Satantango: Lot of love floating around this forum for this movie.

10. City of God: I've heard great things; I don't know much about it but I doubt I won't enjoy it.

Watched- The Godfather: Part II.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

penismightier posted:

Yo Peaceful Anarchy, swap TMP out for The Wrath of Khan. You can thank me later.

While I think Wrath of Khan is the best, TMP is still pretty cool in its own way, and more appreciated by movie people than Trekkies.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

dotCommunism posted:

Stalker - I've seen a couple of Tarkovsky films, and I like what I've seen. This seems like a nice next step to take, I guess.

I really can't pass up a chance to make anyone watch this. So have fun.

City of God: Wow. This is about as perfect as a movie can get. It's such a rich fantastical setting where every character is endlessly endearing and at the center of it all is just a good-natured kid who wants to rise above the poo poo. The editing was memorably wonderful; its stylized nature never felt forced or gimmicky. It perfectly serviced the story and the world in which it was told. I'd recommend this to anyone.

My list:

10. Any John Wayne movie with Rio or River in the title: I'm pretty sure I've seen all of them, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about any of them.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

TannhauserGate posted:

-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest- No clue. I've just never watched it.

It's high time to get your Milos Forman on, buddy.

Paths of Glory was just great. The production was a lot more grandiose than I was expecting, and it lent that feeling of senseless perpetuity to not only the war being fought but also the absurdity of bureaucracy. Kirk Douglas is great, but I gotta give some props to my man Ralph Meeker, who I felt really stole every scene he was in so well. It's no All Quiet on the Western Front, but it's still drat good.

The List:

8. North by Northwest: I go through little Hitchcock phases and still have yet to see everything.

10. Any John Wayne movie with Rio or River in the title: I'm pretty sure I've seen all of them, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about any of them.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of GLory

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Skutter posted:

Edit: I was going to suggest Cool Hand Luke until I saw that you had Airport listed. You must see this right now! My husband made me watch it and it's definitely worth it for the Kareem Abdul Jabar jokes alone.

You're thinking of Airplane!, which was actually a parody of the movie that this guy had listed.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

FitFortDanga posted:

Fortunately for the movie, Ilsa is a complex character. She loves both men, in different ways. She loves Rick more passionately, but her duty is to Victor, both as a wife and as a soldier in the fight for freedom. The movie is all about making sacrifices for duty.

Yeah, mikewozere, I think you missed the part where Ilsa really didn't want to get on that plane, and it was Rick that essentially made the decision for her. He did it out of love, because for her to stay with him would mean her own moral self-destruction. Jesus, just thinking about this movie makes me want to watch it again very badly.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Baktus posted:

The Third Man: Excited and embarrassed about this.

Enjoy a perfect movie, Baktus.

So, North by Northwest. I knew I was in love with this film when that one lady says "So horribly sad. How is it I feel like laughing?" Everybody fit perfectly into their roles; Cary Grant is smooth, Eva Marie Saint is seductive, James Mason is stone-cold, and Martin Landau is so loving creepy. The cinematography beautifully captured a feeling of infinite possibility from shots of trains stretching into the distance to a desolate cornfield. Also, I thought my favorite Bernard Hermann score in Jason and the Argonauts couldn't be topped, but there's certainly a contender in this movie. It's wonderful and majestic from the very start of the credits. So very fun.

The List:

8. Bridge on the River Kwai: I have mad respect for David Lean, and I doubt I wouldn't enjoy this.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

FitFortDanga posted:

Plan 9 from Outer Space - :words:

I saw Plan 9 for the first time when I was 13 and it was easily the worst movie I had ever seen, but in hindsight it's probably the best movie he made. Glen or Glenda is far more amazingly campy, not to mention Bride of the Monster. I'd recommend either of those if you really wanted to see Wood in his terrible element.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Brian Fellows posted:

8. Bonnie and Clyde- I love the real-life stories of the 1900s bank robbers, just never gotten around to seeing the film version.

Can't go wrong here.

Bridge on the River Kwai was amazing as expected. I wasn't too keen on it in the first act, but after Alec Guinness got out of the little shack, I became more and more engrossed, especially as Saito became a much more complex character. If anything, the antagonist of the film was not a person, but merely the presence of pride; in the end it fucks everybody over. The climax was brilliantly composed; the slow crescendo of the train's sounds amongst the growing series of clusterfucks was thoroughly effective. I got chills.

The List:

8. Tokyo Story: Might as well start banging out these They Shoot Pictures movies. I really want to check out Ozu.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 11, 2010

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

So, it turns out I had seen Pelle the Conqueror before, probably some 15 years or so ago in high school, though I only remembered a few scenes and the general mood. It is very depressing and, while it's quite good, something was lacking for me. I'm not sure what, because it's excellently acted, very well shot and the hopeless depiction of feudal life is dead on, but ultimately I could only bring myself to care so much and it felt too long and thematically repetitive. It's one of those films I appreciate but it doesn't speak to me in a way that makes me love it.

The real question is, how does it compare to its spiritual sequel starring Kevin Sorbo, Kull the Conqueror?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

TrixRabbi posted:

#2 Apocalypse Now - I started watching it about a year ago. I got about thirty minutes in and got too tired to stay up. Never finished it.

Finish it.

Fanny and Alexander is easily one of the best movies I've ever seen. I'm hard-pressed to think of a stronger ensemble of actors that so thoroughly nail their respective roles. The drama unfolds without flaw; I was completely unsure of what was to come, and joyously surprised at every turn. The cinematography, subdued yet profound, perfectly complements the subtle themes of the story. There are so many moments of philosophical genius in here and I imagine you all already know this so I'll shut up now. I can't wait to see it again. This is the best thread ever.

1. His Girl Friday: Appease my Cary Grant fetish.

8. Tokyo Story: Might as well start banging out these They Shoot Pictures movies. I really want to check out Ozu.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

penismightier posted:

Wavelength is something I never want to see again ever, but actually wasn't as difficult as I was expecting. Compared to something like T.O.U.C.H.I.N.G. or La Monte Young's Black Album (to say nothing of Jay-Z's), I could've watched it standing on my head. Is it weird that I felt a strong influence on The Shining? I don't have much to say about it now that it's done, but I wasn't able to take my eyes away from it. I need a walk.

I had a half a bottle of gin this morning and watched Wavelength this evening and Wavelength BY FAR left me feeling dizzier and more blurry-eyed.

EDIT: Here's a thought: how come nobody's made a traditional-narrative version of this? A murder mystery done in a single zoom leading to a revelation? Sounds good to me, b.

When we watched it in class me and my friends spent the next few weeks walking in front of each other and spontaneously dying in as hilarious a fashion as the guy in Wavelength. I think it's such an overrated piece of experimental film, but Michael Snow is actually a pretty cool filmmaker overall.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Okay, so finally finished The Pianist. It was pretty good. Although, I don't see what was so spectacular about it. Good, yes. Amazing, no. Adrien Brody was great and it's a very touching story, but it's just the same poo poo about how horrible the Holocaust was. Don't get me wrong, I think it was horrible, it's just that movie didn't bring a new spin on it, or a new side, or new information. It was just a story of the Holocaust. Still very good!

I think what makes it special is that it's not just a grim film. It's a grim film done by Roman Polanski, the king of misery. His style lends, at least in my eyes, a unique filmic take on the event, though I can understand where you're coming from.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I don't know about you guys, but Solaris has been better than some sex I've had.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

ProfessorClumsy posted:

I haven't seen it at all, but... come on.

Solaris is better than the time I lost my virginity. It's probably better than the time you lost your virginity too.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Was she epileptic?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

knees of putty posted:

that slowly gave way to a more (but still not quite) traditional narrative. I have to watch this again.

Haha, where did you get that from Last Year at Marienbad?

I'm not trying to be a dick; the film is so dynamic that I'm sure your reasoning is justified. I'd just like to know more of what you thought.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Dmitri Russkie posted:

Amadeus

An easy top-tenner for me, my gift to you.

It took me forever, but today I finally resolved to sit down and watch 8 1/2, which was quite a treat. I'm not familiar at all with Fellini, so I don't know if this kind of cinematic madness is normal for him, but it was certainly welcome. By the second hour of it things had gotten so wild my eyes were kind of glazed over in elated confusion. It was densely layered but not obnoxiously intellectual. This thread continues to deliver.

2. Cries and Whispers: I want to keep watching Bergman.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

tokillthesunflower posted:

The Mirror I really liked the last Tarkovsky I saw, looking forward to getting further into his movies.

This one is easily his most cerebral and difficult, but the cinematic experience is unlike any other.

I was worried at the start of The Rules of the Game was that it was going to be an dryly dramatic Chekovian holiday movie, but by the time the the hunting scene occured, it began to become very clear that there was a lot of social commentary going on. Its historical context is integral now that I've just read about it, so it's definitely going to warrant another viewing in time. I liked it a hell of a lot more than Monsieur Lange, but it's interesting to see some stylistic parallels between the two films, seeing as they're the only two Renoirs I've seen. They both address the concept of heroism, and depict flawed men who inherit the role for different reasons. I'll watch it again down the road at some point and will definitely have more to think about.

5. Earth: I'm really curious to see what Dovzhenko was all about. I saw a really interesting documentary about him and feel obligated to check him out.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2, The Rules of the Game

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

CloseFriend posted:

The Bicycle Thief: I don't know much about this, except that Netflix recommends it to noir fans and it's a huge deal in Italian cinema.

It's not noir, but it's most assuredly worth your time. Enjoy...er, that is, endure.

His Girl Friday was pretty drat funny. All the actors, no matter how small, were perfectly cast and performed amazingly well, from Ralph Bellamy as the quintessential "Aw, shucks!" nice guy, to Billy Gilbert as Joe Pettibone, with the most delightful facial expressions. Having said that, I could not believe Hildy got with Cary Grant at the end of the movie. I thought she was bound to escape the ruthless world of journalism and run off with her hubby to Albany, but no, no lessons were learned. It was kind of a dark punchline.

1. Gaslight: I might as well start charging through some classic noir.

5. Earth: I'm really curious to see what Dovzhenko was all about. I saw a really interesting documentary about him and feel obligated to check him out.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2, The Rules of the Game, His Girl Friday

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

penismightier posted:

Also, never thought I'd see Harry Dean Stanton try to give a handjob.

I have neglected this movie waaaay too long.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Zogo posted:

Rob (Tony Roberts) character had the funniest quotes of anyone.

"Twins, Max. Sixteen year-olds. Imagine the possibilities."

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

meanmikhail posted:

9. Hoop Dreams- I don’t care about sports, so I’ve never seen this one. I’m told that you don’t have to like basketball to be moved by this.

It's definitely about a lot more than sports. Enjoy.

The Wages of Fear was a spectacular film. The first act was not what I was expecting at all but was a rather compelling tapestry of this little town and all its eccentric inhabitants. I think the political nature of the film is fascinating. And then there was the suspense; holy poo poo, what a thrill it was. Every new conflict just amplified the intensity of the situation. I wish I could get my friends to watch this but I don't think they'd make it past the first part, which is so unfortunate.

7. The French Connection: I hear there be action in this here picture. I'm a man who fancies action.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2, The Rules of the Game, His Girl Friday, The Wages of Fear

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Russian Ark This is the one that's a single shot, right? I want to see it mainly for that.

That's as good a reason as any. If you don't know anything about Russian history it might be fairly confusing, but it's still pretty looking.

Rashomon was, well, brilliant. I'm once again faced with being excited about a movie that everyone's already seen, so I won't go too far into details, but I'll point out a couple things. First, if anybody knows, is this the first instance of a shot featuring sunlight shining through a forest canopy? Second, the cinematography is so masterful in this film; the sense of depth and perspective is so free and wild that it gives the picture some real weight. Thirdly, Takashi Shimura was my favorite actor in this; when he says he can't understand his own soul, I loving believe it.

4. Forbidden Planet: I feel especially bad about this because I am really into science fiction.

7. The French Connection: I hear there be action in this here picture. I'm a man who fancies action.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2, The Rules of the Game, His Girl Friday, The Wages of Fear, Rashomon

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

zandert33 posted:

The story goes that this is supposed to be one of the first times anybody shot directly at the sun. They were afraid that it might melt the film, but of course it didn't.

I get that film is expensive, but it's so funny to me that it took 50 some-odd years for someone to finally say "gently caress it" and shoot the sun.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

SKEET SKEET posted:

Knocked both Dial M for Murder and Red Cliff off the list!

You gots to tell us what you thought of them, dude. :)

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Dirty Dancing - Just never had the drive to see it. Most people give me poo poo for this...

Where the heck do you live where most people give you poo poo for this?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Zogo posted:

Also, Charlton Heston's worst performance since Bowling for Columbine.

My friends and I used to joyfully repeat his lazy deliverance of the line "Donde esta mi esposa?!" Dark skin makeup and moustache does not a Mexican make.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

CloseFriend posted:

Slacker: Randomly-picked movie. Looks just weird and indie enough to be fun. I need a good 90s indie movie to wash out the last one I watched, an intractably unfunny little-known mess called My Life's In Turnaround.

As a lifelong Linklater lover (alliteration!), I don't know why it took me until last week to watch this movie, but I thought it was amazing. The next best thing to watching it again would be to recommend it to you.

Stroszek was just so perfectly weird. It had the kind of bizarrely poetic Herzog motifs that I was expecting, but they far exceeded anything I anticipated. Once Eva left for Vancouver, the film descended into this brilliant vortex of eccentricity that culminated in a welcome conclusion with an overexcited dancing chicken. I will definitely be seeing it again because there's just so much content to chew on.

4. Forbidden Planet: I feel especially bad about this because I am really into science fiction.

6. The Hidden Fortress: Kurosawa movies tend to put me in a nice glow after watching one of his movies, and I gather that this one is no different.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2, The Rules of the Game, His Girl Friday, The Wages of Fear, Rashomon, Stroszek

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

CloseFriend posted:

L'Avventura: I hated Blow-Up, but Antonioni deserves another chance.

She ain't an easy watch, but I swear it's fascinating if you put yourself in the right mindset.

The French Connection was so triumphantly grungy, and I mean that as a compliment. This New York City is the anti-Woody Allen NYC, with garbage everywhere, scuzzy people, cheap beer, and Gene Hackman as Santa Claus. The train scene is hailed as the stuff of legend, and I can see why; Doyle driving like a maniac through the streets is a hell of a rush. It's justifiably an action classic.

6. The Hidden Fortress: Kurosawa movies tend to put me in a nice glow after watching one of his movies, and I gather that this one is no different.

7. Singin' in the Rain: I've put this off long enough. What you got, Gene Kelly?

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2, The Rules of the Game, His Girl Friday, The Wages of Fear, Rashomon, Stroszek, The French Connection

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Beauty and the Beast
Seen a lot of love for this.

You're talking about the Cocteau film, right? Pretty movie, that one.

Singin' in the Rain is...the movies, man. Of course I expected something good given its iconic reputation, but I naturally could not be prepared for everything that came at me for 100 minutes. On the level of sheer entertainment, it's barely rivaled. Then there's the deeper element, the exploration of the paradox of cinematic reality. Scene after scene just seems hellbent on contradicting whatever came before, creating this marvelously chaotic wonder of an exhibition. I love how after being barraged with this amazing 15-minute Broadway Ballet, culminating in a climactic yet strangely Spartan scene where Gene Kelly does a memorably beautiful duet with Cyd Charisse, R.F. merely says "Well, I can't exactly visualize all that right now," which for some reason rings out to me as one of the best punchlines I've ever heard in a movie. It's like millions of dollars were spent on this crazy spectacle merely because we simply had to bear witness to one dumb joke. I love it.

7. Aliens: This is where all video game plots come from, isn't it?

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2, The Rules of the Game, His Girl Friday, The Wages of Fear, Rashomon, Stroszek, The French Connection, Singin' in the Rain

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Zogo posted:

The Grapes of Wrath - The story kept me interested and it felt very authentic. I thought it was going to be more topical on the depression/dustbowl but it focused more on the characters and their struggles and Tom's continuing knack for getting himself into trouble.

'The novel's original ending was far too controversial to be even considered for a film in 1940. It involved Rose-of-Sharon Rivers (Dorris Bowdon) giving birth to a stillborn baby and then offering her milk-filled breasts to a starving man, dying in a barn.'
:stare:

Not only that, but there's a whole sequence in which the family is trapped in a boxcar and while Rose of Sharon is giving birth, the men are digging a dam to try and keep themselves from getting flooded.

There's so much more than that. Honestly, I feel like that movie is such a sissified version of the book that it doesn't even come close to being as emotionally powerful as the book. The film starts out beat for beat the same and is really brilliant but as it goes on it just sacrifices so much to keep up its pace.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

penismightier posted:

They're just two different animals entirely. The movie is the story of Tom Joad, the novel is the story of The Joads. Steinbeck must be really difficult to adapt - there's such a richness of detail to every sentence that you're bound to lose something.

I understand that the movie can't address all the intricacies of every family member or portray every subplot that comes along. What really stuck in my craw is that the book was a brutal condemnation on an institution and an era, and the way the movie ends it's as though everything they've been through is just peaches and cream.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Salt of the Earth is a really sad film. Not just because of its frank depiction of the deplorable exploitation of the working class, nor because it was banned for a decade even after its director, writer and producer were blacklisted. All those things are sad, but saddest of all is the fact that it's a mediocre production all around. I can deal with heavy handed dialogue, and boy is there plenty of it here, but I'd like to see the actors actually interacting and perhaps have it fit into a more developed context. Also the ending falls into every happy ending convention and doesn't work with the tone of what precedes it Most of all, though, I was disappointed that for all the trouble this film went through, the only daring thing in it is that it's willing to wear its communist sympathies out in the open. The racial and gender equality aspects are sorely simplistic, even for a 1950s film, and in general it seems very restrained by social mores beyond its one taboo subject. I wish so much that I could like it as something other than a historical curiosity, but I can't.

Yeah, it's really only compelling from an academic perspective. But I still think the history is pretty cool. It basically all stemmed from a bunch of blacklisted Hollywood folk getting the hell out of LA and moving to this one ranch in bumfuck New Mexico to lead a commune-style existence. And then one day they decided to make a movie.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I think any movie with a Ken Russell level of bonkers poo poo in it is always worth watching, regardless of "true" quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Klute Neo-noir with Jane Fonda as a prostitute.

I haven't seen it, but I really like Alan J. Pakula/Gordon Willis, so I'm sure it's good.

Cries and Whispers: I gotta say, I'm pretty blown away right now. The deep, unsettling despair that permeates its duration is not something that's easy to forget. These characters were so lost in their own flaws that it seemed that there was no hope. I've seen very few Bergman films at this point, but one thing I just can't get enough of is how he treats the concept of death like a lump of clay that he can just play around with. It's often so far from a finite gesture for his characters, in the sense that if someone dies they've merely transitioned to another stage of life that haunts whatever world they used to live in in different ways.

I think this is the best Sven Nykvist photography I've ever seen. Those reds! The color in this movie is implemented so flawlessly. This is a film that's going to keep me thinking about it for days.

2. Wild Strawberries: I should probably just keep a steady stream of Bergman movies in this spot.

5. Nashville: There's got a lot of classic Altman I haven't seen.

7. Aliens: This is where all video game plots come from, isn't it?

10. Red River: I'm pretty sure I've seen this, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about it.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2, The Rules of the Game, His Girl Friday, The Wages of Fear, Rashomon, Stroszek, The French Connection, Singin' in the Rain, Cries and Whispers

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 11, 2011