Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The only film I have seen on your list Magic Hate Ball is Saving Private Ryan, and I think it's a solid film. I don't have much interest in WW2 either, mostly because I felt the market was over saturated with films about the subject in the late-90s/early-00s.

I am just going to go off of what Criticker tells me I would love.

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey: I have seen most of Kubrick's films, and the only one that I haven't loved was A Clockwork Orange. The only thing keeping me away from 2001 is the length of the movie, and that some people have called it boring. I have watched Moon recently, and really enjoyed that, so I would imagine that I would like this too.

2. The Godfather: Part II: I got around to watching the first one last week, but again, the thing keeping me from watching it is the run time. Three hours is a lot to devote to a movie.

3. Raiders of the Lost Ark: I have never had an interest in Indiana Jones. I think I may have seen this film as a kid, or maybe it was one of the other ones. Either way, the only thing stopping me from watching this is my own disinterest.

4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail: My dad used to own a copy of this on VHS, and I never made it past the part where the Black Knight gets all his limbs hacked off. I still find that scene hilarious. I have no idea why I have never watched this movie.

5. Citizen Kane: Hailed as the greatest film ever, I have just never really thought about watching it.

6. Do the Right Thing: I have seen a few Spike Lee films, and I have been constantly underwhelmed. I just never got the amount of praise the 25th Hour got, when I felt it was a decent movie with an embarrassing monologue by Ed Norton in the middle.

7. Rear Window: I am only avoiding this because of the Simpsons episode. I have seen that episode so many times, that I feel like the film would be similar. I know that's a stupid way of looking at things, but oh well.

8. The Shawshank Redemption: There has been a copy of this movie in my household since I was a child. I don't know why I haven't watched this.

9. Once Upon a Time in the West: Again, the run time is keeping me away. I would put the Man with No Name trilogy in my top-20 films of all-time, so I would assume that this would also be up there.

10. Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back: I get a lot of poo poo about this from my friends. I saw Episodes IV and VI when I was a kid, around the time the remastered versions were being released. While I have enough memories of IV that a second viewing wouldn't be necessary (also because I catch parts of it while flipping through the channels from time to time), I forget large parts of VI. Anyways, I used to try sitting through V as a kid because my dad, and my uncles, would always tell me this was the best of the series. I never watched past the ice planet part, because I'd always get bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

You skipped me :mad:

It took me a long time to make my post, and then all these new posts popped up :(

I have seen most of your list, unfortunately, and you won't like any of them. I don't even know what to recommend. Shrek is probably my favourite on the list, although that's not really saying much. I would never watch this film again.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

I guess that's better than the Transformers I almost got stuck with.

gently caress. Is it too late to go back and change my list to 10 super obscure old European films?

I was going to pick the Green Mile, but I haven't seen that since it came out. The 14-year old version of me thought it was a good film. But, I also thought Deuce Bigalow was funny enough to watch more then once. In short, I don't trust my opinion on movies at the age of 14.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Citizen Kane
Unfortunately, this movie was working at a disadvantage from the beginning -- being universally hailed as the "greatest movie ever," is a lofty expectation to live up to. With that said, Citizen Kane, is a solid film. Hell, it deserves a better adjective. Citizen Kane is as perfect as a film can get. The ending, even though I already knew the solution to the mystery, was still haunting to me. Also, I was remarking on some of the shots Welles used, before finding out midway through the film (with the help of Wikipedia) that he used a "deep focus." There was a really neat shot where two of the characters were talking, and you could clearly see Welles in the mirror.

Writing about this film seems silly to me, because there has been enough praise lavished on this film already. This is a great film, and anyone in this thread who has yet to watch it is missing out. But, the best thing this movie was this snippet from Wikipedia.

Wikipedia posted:

In 1989, essayist Gore Vidal cited contemporary rumors that "Rosebud" was a nickname Hearst used for his mistress Marion Davies; a reference to her clitoris,[38][39] a claim repeated as fact in the 1996 documentary The Battle Over Citizen Kane and again in the 1999 dramatic film RKO 281. Film critic Roger Ebert has been a bit more specific than Vidal about the source, saying on his commentary track for the September 2001 DVD release that "Herman Mankiewicz, the co-author with Welles of the screenplay, happened to know that "Rosebud" was William Randolph Hearst's pet name for an intimate part of Marion Davies' anatomy."[32][40] A resultant joke noted, with heavy innuendo, that Hearst and/or Kane died "with 'Rosebud' on his lips."[29]

Whether this is true or not, it's funny.

edit: Just read the new rules. I pick Solaris for InfiniteZero.

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey:
2. The Godfather: Part II:
3. Raiders of the Lost Ark:
4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail:
5. Do the Right Thing:
6. Rear Window:
7. The Shawshank Redemption:
8. Once Upon a Time in the West:
9. Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back:
10. Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask: I loved Annie Hall, but I haven't cared for his last two films much. But, after watching Bananas last night, I feel that I should probably start watching his earlier comedy work because I loved Bananas.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 3, 2010

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I choose Dog Day Afternoon for you OregonDonor, it's one of my favourites.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Luckily, I had a copy of this film around the house to ensure quick viewing. But, this is definitely not the film for me. I found some of the material funny, but overall, I grew weary of the movie long before its conclusion. If I had to rate this, I would give it a 4.5 out of 10.

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey:
4. Do the Right Thing:
5. Rear Window:
6. The Shawshank Redemption:
7. Once Upon a Time in the West:
8. Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back:
9. Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask:

10. Yojimbo: I love all the Kurosawa I have watched, but never got around to watching this film. I even got it through the Canadian version of Netflix (I can't remember the name right now), but I sent it back before watching it.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 4, 2010

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

So, is someone else able to pick for me, or do I have to wait for Robert_Deadford to come back?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

iastudent, I choose Hoosiers.

I just finished watching The Godfather: Part II, and it was one of the few movies where I actually wish the run time was longer. I think the whole movie was highlighted with the relationship between Fredo and Michael. A poster in this thread told me that if I loved Dog Day Afternoon, then I need to see this film because of the interaction between Cazale/Pacino. I agree. It's actually surprising, at least to me, that with a movie filled with the best actors cinema has ever seen -- John Cazale, to me, stands out as the best performance.

I have made two changes to my list. I switched the Woody Allen film to Manhattan, and I switched the Kurosawa film to Ran. I have been reading through the TSPDT list of 1000 movies, and these seem to be higher priority films to watch.

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey: I have seen most of Kubrick's films, and the only one that I haven't loved was A Clockwork Orange. The only thing keeping me away from 2001 is the length of the movie, and that some people have called it boring. I have watched Moon recently, and really enjoyed that, so I would imagine that I would like this too.

2. Singin' in the Rain: I have yet to watch a musical I have enjoyed, yet I continually read about the greatness of this film. I have not had any interest in watching it, but it seems like I should.

3. Raiders of the Lost Ark: I have never had an interest in Indiana Jones. I think I may have seen this film as a kid, or maybe it was one of the other ones. Either way, the only thing stopping me from watching this is my own disinterest.

4. Ran: I have yet to watch a Kurosawa film I disliked.

5. Citizen Kane:
5. Manhattan: This appears like it's considered Allen's second best work. I loved Annie Hall, so my assumption is that I would love this.

6. Do the Right Thing: I have seen a few Spike Lee films, and I have been constantly underwhelmed. I just never got the amount of praise the 25th Hour got, when I felt it was a decent movie with an embarrassing monologue by Ed Norton in the middle.

7. Rear Window: I am only avoiding this because of the Simpsons episode. I have seen that episode so many times, that I feel like the film would be similar. I know that's a stupid way of looking at things, but oh well.

8. The Shawshank Redemption: There has been a copy of this movie in my household since I was a child. I don't know why I haven't watched this.

9. Once Upon a Time in the West: Again, the run time is keeping me away. I would put the Man with No Name trilogy in my top-20 films of all-time, so I would assume that this would also be up there.

10. Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back: I get a lot of poo poo about this from my friends. I saw Episodes IV and VI when I was a kid, around the time the remastered versions were being released. While I have enough memories of IV that a second viewing wouldn't be necessary (also because I catch parts of it while flipping through the channels from time to time), I forget large parts of VI. Anyways, I used to try sitting through V as a kid because my dad, and my uncles, would always tell me this was the best of the series. I never watched past the ice planet part, because I'd always get bored.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

dotcommunism, I choose Breathless. It's my favourite film on your list.

Just finished Once Upon a Time in the West. I was worried about the "slowness" of the movie, but again, Leone is perfect in the way he sets up a scene. Also, the poster who suggested this to me said that once Claudia Cardinale came onto the screen, I'd forget about the runtime -- he was right :3

Anyways,

2. Singin' in the Rain: I have yet to watch a musical I have enjoyed, yet I continually read about the greatness of this film. I have not had any interest in watching it, but it seems like I should.

5. Citizen Kane:
5. Manhattan: This appears like it's considered Allen's second best work. I loved Annie Hall, so my assumption is that I would love this.

9. Once Upon a Time in the West:
9. Some Like it Hot: Apparently this is a funny comedy. I like Jack Lemmon, but the idea of two guys in drag stretched for an entire film doesn't do it for me. Either way, this seems like a movie I should watch just to see if my preconceptions were correct.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I haven't seen any of the movies on your list Voodoofly, but I choose Dogville anyways. I haven't seen, but I want to. I watched Von Trier's Antichrist, and while I didn't enjoy it, I did think he had talent.

I just finished Episode V. Why did I wait so long to watch this? I think there were a few reasons, but the main one being that I always assumed people loved this film because of nostalgia. But, after watching it, I could see that I was incredibly wrong.

While the effects are dated, I couldn't help but love that everything was made. It adds a certain charm. I am actually surprised at how much I did enjoy this, because I have never had much interest in science fiction (actually, thanks to Wikipedia, I know now that it's considered a "space opera.") None of the acting was especially superb, but it fit the movie. I did grow tired of Luke, but his character was well-written.

In closing, this is a movie I should have seen years ago.

5. Citizen Kane:

9. Some Like it Hot: Apparently this is a funny comedy. I like Jack Lemmon, but the idea of two guys in drag stretched for an entire film doesn't do it for me. Either way, this seems like a movie I should watch just to see if my preconceptions were correct.

10. Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back:
10. Jaws: I could swear that I have seen the beginning, and the ending of this -- but I haven't seen the middle. I should probably get around to watching this as a complete film.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

You have a lot of good films on that list thegloaming so it's difficult to pick only one. I'll recommend The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly though because it's one of my top-5 favourite films.

Well, I actually watched two films from my list. I watched Manhattan, and the one picked for me, Singin' in the Rain.

Manhattan was really good. I thought the choice to shoot it in black and white was a great. I did find it weird that no one really seemed to care about Allen's character dating a 17-year old, and I kept waiting for the scene where someone would be incredibly creeped out by it.

I was surprised that I enjoyed Singin' in the Rain. This movie didn't change my mind about musicals, so I doubt I am going to watch Glee anytime soon, but I thought it was a fun film that I could watch over and over. I don't know what to feel about some of the songs they did, particularly the one at the end -- I felt it went on too long for my tastes. Other then that, a fantastic film.

quote:

2. Singin' in the Rain:
2. Blade Runner: This seems like something I should have already watched.

5. Citizen Kane:
5. Manhattan:
5. Casablanca: I never had an interest in watching this.

10. Jaws: I could swear that I have seen the beginning, and the ending of this -- but I haven't seen the middle. I should probably get around to watching this as a complete film.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Slvbarek posted:

drat, some of you guys are champs about this. I just got Godfather part 2 in the mail, and it'll still be a while because I want to watch the first one again.

The joys of summer vacation and another summer of part-time work :(.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Bodnoirbabe, you should watch Dr. Strangelove. It's my favourite Kubrick. Also, as a side note, I don't think that knowing the ending of Citizen Kane will detract from your enjoyment from the film. I knew what it was, but the film isn't just about the reveal.

Anyways, I watched Rear Window, and I really enjoyed it. I found it interesting that there was more then one story being told, as other windows had their own silent drama. I think the strength of the film is that the camera never moved from James Stewart's apartment. It really makes the climax that much more tense. Watching this made me want to watch Disturbia just to see how bad they butchered this movie.

quote:

2. Singin' in the Rain:

5. Citizen Kane:
5. Manhattan:

7. Rear Window:
7. 12 Angry Men: I remember watching some of this in elementary school during class, and enjoying it. Since then, the movie has just never crossed my mind. I figure I may as well get around to watching it now.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 12, 2010

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Magic Hate Ball, I want you to watch Fitzcarraldo. I haven't seen it, but I have been meaning to for a while.

I finished Some Like it Hot last night, and boy oh boy, I do not see why this movie is as highly ranked as it is. I found myself become increasingly disinterested in the Monroe/Curtis story, which I began to realize during the yacht scene. However, Jack Lemmon was terrific. The parts with him and the old man just kept getting funnier, which of course finishes with the hilarious "nobody's perfect" scene. So, I did enjoy the film, it's just not one I will ever revisit, unless I fast forward the Curtis/Monroe scenes.

quote:

2. Singin' in the Rain:

5. Citizen Kane:
5. Manhattan:

7. Rear Window:
7. 12 Angry Men: I remember watching some of this in elementary school during class, and enjoying it. Since then, the movie has just never crossed my mind. I figure I may as well get around to watching it now.

9. Some Like it Hot:
9. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: I have had an interest in reading the book, and watching the film for nearly ten years -- I have done neither. I love Jack Nicholson as an actor, and I know I would probably love this movie. It's not like I haven't had the chance to watch this either, I have seen it many times in the video store and at the library, but I always end up watching something else.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 14, 2010

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jolo posted:

10) Dawn of the Dead(Romero) - I've seen Night of the Living Dead, and I've seen the remake of this by Zack Snyder, but I've never seen this one. Love zombie movies though, don't know why I haven't picked this one up. There's two versions, anyone want to shed some light on the two, which should I watch first? are they both worth watching?

The original Dawn is a great film. I haven't seen it in many years, but in my mind, it's the last great "of the Dead" films. You should watch it immediately. But, I only say this because you already have an interest in zombie movies. As for the remake, it was directed by Zack Snyder, which should give you an indication of what it's like. I have seen it a few times, and my interest in the movie has waned as I have gotten older. There's a lot of flash, but not much else. I find it kind of boring, but I know of a few people who really enjoyed it. I don't know, personally, I'd just stick with the original.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

elendilmir, I choose Grosse Pointe Blank. It's not the best movie on your list, but I chose it because you love Cusack, and I doubt anyone else will recommend it to you.

I actually ended up watching two movies last night.

Do the Right Thing, was the best film on race relations that I have seen. There were a few lulls during the movie, like the scene where the races all spouted off racist babble, but once the climax came -- all was forgotten. I was reading more about this film on the internet, and it seems that most black people felt that Mookie did the right thing, while white people felt the opposite. For me, I think there was some indicators that Sal felt that he was above the blacks in the community, particularly because of the language he uses during the film. I think that considering the circumstances, what Mookie did was right. Basically, it was a complex movie that didn't really offer any solutions. I wish that my family would have let me watch this over American History X when I was younger.

12 Angry Men, is a great movie. The script was fantastic, and the actors were all perfect in their roles. This is the kind of movie I'd be willing to watch over and over again.

quote:

2. Singin' in the Rain:

5. Citizen Kane:
5. Manhattan:

6. Do the Right Thing:
6. The 400 Blows: I have wanted to see this for years. I even have a copy of it, but I just have not gotten around to watching it. I think it's about time.

7. Rear Window:
7. 12 Angry Men:
7. Lawrence of Arabia: Hmm, a 3 1/2 hour film...another movie I have avoided because of the run time.

9. Some Like it Hot:
9. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: I have had an interest in reading the book, and watching the film for nearly ten years -- I have done neither. I love Jack Nicholson as an actor, and I know I would probably love this movie. It's not like I haven't had the chance to watch this either, I have seen it many times in the video store and at the library, but I always end up watching something else.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

LesterGroans, you will watch City of God.

Just finished with Casablanca, and while I did think it was a good movie -- it's just not one I will revisit anytime soon. I am not really sure what it was missing for me either, because, there's nothing to even criticize. Oh well!

quote:

2. Singin' in the Rain:

5. Citizen Kane:
5. Manhattan:
5. Casablanca:
5. WALL-E: I re-watched the Toy Story movies the other day, and I am thinking that I need to catch up with Pixar movies. After this, I will probably end up watching Up.

6. Do the Right Thing:
6. The 400 Blows: I have wanted to see this for years. I even have a copy of it, but I just have not gotten around to watching it. I think it's about time.

7. Rear Window:
7. 12 Angry Men:
7. Lawrence of Arabia: Hmm, a 3 1/2 hour film...another movie I have avoided because of the run time.

9. Some Like it Hot:

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Neilpeartnoy, watch Midnight Cowboy. I haven't seen it, but it's one that I have been wanting to watch.

I just finished Shawshank and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Shawshank: I guess the only flaw I could find about this movie was that I have already seen the bulk of this movie on a *sigh* Family Guy episode. If it wasn't for Hoop Dreams, then this would be my favourite movie of 1994.

As for One Flew, well, I enjoyed watching it. Jack Nicholson's performance was amazing. I see that he won the Best Actor award for this, and I must say, it would have been difficult to choose between him and Pacino in '76. I really don't know who I would have picked.

Also, at this time, I am not going to add any more movies to my list. There are still loads of movies I need to watch, but I am just going to wait until I can trim it down to five. Also, I am trying to catch up with Woody Allen films.

quote:

2. Singin' in the Rain:

5. Citizen Kane:
5. Manhattan:
5. Casablanca:
5. WALL-E: I re-watched the Toy Story movies the other day, and I am thinking that I need to catch up with Pixar movies. After this, I will probably end up watching Up.

6. Do the Right Thing:

7. Rear Window:
7. 12 Angry Men:

8. The Shawshank Redemption:

9. Some Like it Hot:
9. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Eggnogium watch Butch Cassidy.

Finally got around to watching Raiders of the Lost Ark. I have definitely seen a lot of the movie, but I guess it's been a long time. This is the same the first two Alien movies, I watched them at such a young age that I am really fuzzy on the details. Anyways, this was a great movie: I think every major scene has been parodied. It's just a really fun movie, and I liked the feel of the movie. All the locales were nice look at.

Again, I am trying to bring my list down to five.

quote:

2. Singin' in the Rain:

5. Citizen Kane:
5. Manhattan:
5. Casablanca:

6. Do the Right Thing:

7. Rear Window:
7. 12 Angry Men:

8. The Shawshank Redemption:

9. Some Like it Hot:
9. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: