Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mangaka and Serialization

Beelzebub is an ongoing shoujo shonen manga by Ryūhei Tamura that serialises in Weekly Shounen Jump. It was first published as a one-shot by Tamura in Weekly Shonen Jump's 2008 volumes 37-38, where it won the fourth Gold Future Cup, and then it was serialized on the same magazine starting in its thirteenth volume in 2009.

As at 29 March 2013, the series has reached its 198th chapter. The Pierrot+ studio produced an OVA of Beelzebub which was broadcast during the Jump Super Anime Tour in October 2010.[2][3] This was followed by an anime TV series which aired in Japan between January 9, 2011 and March 25, 2012.

Plot synopsis

Tatsumi Oga, a first year student at a school for, of and by juvenile delinquents called Ishiyama High, finds a baby boy floating down a river. The baby turns out to be Kaiser de Emperana Beelzebub IV (“Baby Beel” for short”), son of the Great Demon king, and Oga has been chosen to be the one to raise Baby Beel to adulthood because Oga is a strong and evil rear end in a top hat a really handsome nice young man.

Oga at first attempts to ditch Baby Beel, but changes his mind when Baby Beel’s nurse maid Hildegarde shows up and informs him that Oga will die if he is separated from Baby Beel by more than 15 metres or if he otherwise forsakes his duties as an adoptive father.

Oga then proceeds to pick a fight with the “Touhoushinki”, the strongest four students of Ishiyama, figuring that one of them might prove to be stronger and more evil than himself and that Baby Beel will thus attach himself to that person instead. However, this proves to be a more challenging task than he had anticipated…

Why should you read this series?

Although it has the trappings of a typical shonen battle manga, Beelzebub always remains a comedy gag manga at its heart, and actively avoids many of the clichés associated with shonen series – Oga wins most of his fights in a curb-stomp and no fight ever goes beyond two chapters; Oga remains a self-centred jerkass throughout the series; such sexual tension as there is between Oga and his potential romantic partners are played for humor rather than drama; and training arcs are few and far between and carried out off-panel or completed single chapters. By turns dramatic, silly and touching, Beelzebub never ever stops being funny.

Main characters

To be added

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 63 is up.

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/beelzebub/v07/c063/

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Woah this manga didn't have a thread here already?

I haven't read a chapter for a while but I remember the first 40-50 or so being pretty awesome.

The only downside really is that the fact the kid's penis is showing constantly is a bit disturbing. I wish Japan would quit with that, it'd stop me wanting to ever own a series like this.

Rondino
Mar 5, 2008
Beelzebub is a manga about having a good time with your best friends :shobon:

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
This is a fantastic manga. I was thinking about making a thread, came here to do a quick search to see if there was one already and saw this.

Be prepared to see a lot of baby dong.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slowpoke! posted:

This is a fantastic manga. I was thinking about making a thread, came here to do a quick search to see if there was one already and saw this.

Be prepared to see a lot of baby dong.

Curse you! You could have announced this earlier and saved me the trouble.

Not that I really mind the trouble - this is a great, funny series.

bondster
May 6, 2007

This series needs more readers. It's a hilarious series on so many levels and the plot generally keeps you guessing and going in interesting directions.

Also Furuichi is the best side character in manga.

EDIT: Also my thread title got chosen (kinda) :smug:

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Came expecting more Yotsuba, left pleasantly surprised. I love a manga that doesn't let itself get caught up in dumb drama or usual shonen plot circles.

edit: Openning the first page of the one shot made me think "... Squall?" though.

Kave
Dec 29, 2008

Fancy sweater vests for all!
Good work on the thread. Come one come all and enjoy the magnificence that is Beelzebub!

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Alain Delon rules

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Bumping because more people should read this manga

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Furuichi is the best character. He is the only non-delinquent in a school for delinquents. Later when the story moves to a normal school everyone assumes, in typical shounen fashion, that he must be the ringleader. He becomes...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Mr. Deathy posted:

Woah this manga didn't have a thread here already?
It did but it was titled "The Misc. Shounen Thread" by mistake. :v:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sindai posted:

It did but it was titled "The Misc. Shounen Thread" by mistake. :v:

This was certainly the series in there that most needed its own thread. Now I no longer need be disappointed when the Misc. Shounen Thread is bumped for non-Beelzebub reasons.

Also, it's mighty nice to have a series that doesn't set off spell checker's wiggly red line.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Requesting pic change to this in OP.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dexo posted:

Requesting pic change to this in OP.

Done.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

This was certainly the series in there that most needed its own thread. Now I no longer need be disappointed when the Misc. Shounen Thread is bumped for non-Beelzebub reasons.
Ha, I ended up stopping reading Beelzebub when I got tired of sifting through all the lesser stuff in the Misc. Shounen Thread, and without a thread to remind me kept forgetting about it.

Should be pretty awesome now with its own thread. I think this was actually the first manga that I've been following since the first chapter... even if I did just marathon the last 20 or so chapters.

My only gripe is that a lot of the background delinquents are kind of hard to remember. There was a long string of forgettable ladder rungs Oga climbed up early, and when they all came back I had totally forgotten their distinguishing characteristics. This volleyball arc seems to be concentrating on just a few of them though, so I'm getting my bearings again.

And as everyone else correctly observed, Furuichi is really the best.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Furuichi has the greatest lines. The series is really all over the place, but it keeps it from getting stale.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
i love Beelzebub but the thread title made me :colbert:

Usagi Drop and Otaku no Musume-san are excellent single dad manga.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

This manga is refreshing, cute and mixes elements of what I imagine are the delinquent tropes with totally off the wall moments. You really never know what to expect in this one. And yeah, I really like the characters. I can't think of anyone I dislike.

And the thread title is excellent!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Pyronic posted:

Otaku no Musume-san

Thanks, I've been trying to remember the name of this for months.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Links to a voice-over dub of Chapter 1.

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgiqx96AyIU&feature=related

Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfMvFzMLW5s&feature=related

Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dTt0dAKqFI&feature=related

Part 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ggf3HHUlA&feature=related

Notable voice actors include:

Oga - Katsuyuki Konishi (Kamina of TTGL)

Hilda - Kana Ueda (Tohsaka Rin of Fate Stay Night, Kinon of TTGL)

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

JosephWongKS posted:

Links to a voice-over dub of Chapter 1.

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgiqx96AyIU&feature=related

Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfMvFzMLW5s&feature=related

Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dTt0dAKqFI&feature=related

Part 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ggf3HHUlA&feature=related

Notable voice actors include:

Oga - Katsuyuki Konishi (Kamina of TTGL)

Hilda - Kana Ueda (Tohsaka Rin of Fate Stay Night, Kinon of TTGL)

Well that was fairly awesome.

I loved Kana Ueda as Hilda, but I'm not sold on Kamina as Oga. He sounds too happy, I guess, or perhaps just not angry enough. His voice at the beginning right after he's beaten the tar out of those guys - that should be used more often, I think, for him to be right for the part. Whoever was Furuichi seemed solid, but his part seems less demanding.

I'd no idea such a thing as a "Vomic" existed though, and I notice that there's plenty of other first chapters. It seems my evening has become booked.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

just sayin', he's got a penis on his head.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

I've been itchin' for a good shounen manga, and this thread convinced me to give this series a try. Very glad I did, I'm absolutely loving it.

I think one of my favorite things about this manga is that very few opponents are real threats to Oga and and long drawn out fights are rare, rather than every single tough guy Oga faces starting a 12 chapter brawl. He just punches them after they brag a bit and that's that! It makes the actual fights with rivals/enemies much more intense.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I don't think I will ever get over Oga's stupidity. The little drawings of what he's thinking are just great.

Edit: This is seriously some of the funniest stuff ever.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 10, 2010

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

The manga in one image, folks.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The MK5 thing has got to be the best running gag in the history of school delinquent themed manga.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
New Chapter!

MK5 Specialty - Lose in one page!!!

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Reiche posted:

New Chapter!

MK5 Specialty - Lose in one page!!!

I think this is pretty much word-for-word what I was going to post.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Slowpoke! posted:

I think this is pretty much word-for-word what I was going to post.

How could it not be? I laughed for a solid minute when I saw it.

Also, I play collegiate volleyball so this whole situation has an extra layer of hilarity for me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So, who was the +1 again?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Serious Frolicking posted:

So, who was the +1 again?

I would imagine it's the guy with the 6 on his shirt. :ssh:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thread name should've been "Beelzebub: NO SPLITTIIIIIIING!"

It was at that moment that I was on board. It's completely off its nut and it's totally cool with that fact.

Kave
Dec 29, 2008

Fancy sweater vests for all!
"Did you see her panties?"

Furuichi once again is the king.

MK5, I love how crappy they are.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

I would imagine it's the guy with the 6 on his shirt. :ssh:

Yes, but who was he?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Serious Frolicking posted:

Yes, but who was he?
He said "goodnight", it's probably our old friend Mr. Goodnight.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Good manga!

Name-dropping Yotsuba is ridiculous and misleading, but it got me to click on the thread and I didn't regret it so... um, I'm ok with it I guess?

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
I'm enjoying it so far. I love the kid cause he reminds me of my actual son, Ryoichi

edit: heres a pic for comparison

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tricerapowerbottom fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

moss piglet posted:

I'm enjoying it so far. I love the kid cause he reminds me of my actual son, Ryoichi

They are similar in adorableness, to be sure. I just hope Ryoichi doesn't also electrocute you when he's throwing a tantrum.

• Locked thread