Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1549 »
Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

GunFondler42069 posted:

OK, so I'm trying to put a Tailhook Brace on my Sig MCX Virtus. I bought the adapter kit but I appear to be missing a key part. My gun currently has a foldy brace adapter:

https://imgur.com/a/GAqMFR1

And the piece I'm missing is different, it looks like this:

https://imgur.com/a/FeNVB45

I'm having trouble figuring out what that's called so I can find a place to order it. Anyone know?

That's the collapsible arm brace from the Sig MPX (Google it).

Here is an SB Tactical one: https://www.opticsplanet.com/sb-tac...zing-brace.html

I'd make sure your MCX has the grooves/can fit the arms of the collapsible brace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Do you have stairs in your gun vault?

It does! For whatever reason I was just having a devil of a time finding that. Thank you so much.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

I'm not looking for your validation through this telescope, just planets boobies bullets

College Slice

Are basic birdcage muzzle devices more or less guaranteed to attach with the closed side down, or do I need to get something with fancy indexing hardware like the muzzle brake I already have?

The stock brake on my scout is cool and all, but I'd like to not have to worry about people (and more importantly, sensitive equipment like the astronomy gear I use for spotting) that's next to me in the blast zone. I was originally looking for plain thread protectors, but something that kicks up less dust would also be great, which is why I'm looking at those old birdcage style flash hiders. These are the main ones I can probably get in country, since muzzle devices are still under ITAR I believe.

https://ctcsupplies.ca/dpms-ar-308-a2-flash-hider/
https://www.colonelmustard.ca/308-7...EAD_p_2546.html
https://www.colonelmustard.ca/308-7...READ_p_112.html

These are the only thread protectors I can find, but they looked ugly/weird enough that I starting looking at flash hiders.

https://www.colonelmustard.ca/THREA...READ_p_102.html
https://www.colonelmustard.ca/THREA...ACK_p_1709.html

What I'm currently working with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seb0XNp0TDg

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

You'll need to time them. Either use a shim kit, crush washers, or jam nuts to achieve the proper alignment, though iirc there's a shim kit that is minimal effort in figuring out how many of which shims you need. I think it's made by Precision Armament?

As for thread protectors, there's always Amazon. One of the companies that make thread adapters for muzzle devices also makes thread protectors as well, since it's similar machining procedures.

jwang fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 19, 2020

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

You could also get a brake that supports a blast deflector screwing onto it when the sideways concussion is a concern at the cost a little lost performance.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

darnon posted:

You could also get a brake that supports a blast deflector screwing onto it when the sideways concussion is a concern at the cost a little lost performance.

I have a Surefire Warden that mates with my Surefire SOCOM SFMB & it's nice, especially for those around me.

Who else makes blast regulator that mates with a brake?

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Hughes Precision is my go to for thread protectors. Just about any possible combo of thread, length, and od you could need. Corona just took the owner, unfortunately, but it sounds like the company is continuing on.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Is there a good guide to buying a used firearm? I'm looking at an AR to buy off somebody, and I want to make sure I'm getting what I pay for.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

NeuroticErotica posted:

Is there a good guide to buying a used firearm? I'm looking at an AR to buy off somebody, and I want to make sure I'm getting what I pay for.

You'd do pretty well just asking your questions here, the newbie thread, or the AR thread. A lot of people here have huge amounts of firearms experience.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

NeuroticErotica posted:

That depends a lot on what exactly you're purchasing. Various models might have completely different parts that you'd have to look out for to see if they're damaged or worn. Generally though you'd mainly look at the chamber and bore to make sure they're not rusted or scratched up, you'd look at the finish to see how banged up it is cosmetically or rusted, and you'd obviously check for general function. If you're buying in person you'll probably want to dry fire it at least to make sure it works, maybe bring a spent casing or snap cap of the right caliber. Obviously you can't do this over the internet so you just have to trust them that it works in that case.

For a modern, recently made firearm like an AR you probably don't have to worry about too much as long as it doesn't look like it's been abused too badly. Just look at what you could get the gun for new and factor in any modifications or attachments it includes in the price. If they're asking too close to what you'd pay for a brand new one then either negotiate lower or look elsewhere unless you're trying to do a friend a favor or something. Firearms retain value fairly well in general if they're well taken care of but you still shouldn't pay the new price for a used gun if that gun is still available new.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 20, 2020

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Hair Elf

Fuuuuuuuck

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

I can tell it's a Steyr GB, what else am I looking at?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Hair Elf

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I can tell it's a Steyr GB, what else am I looking at?

Those two springs are supposed to go on either side of the hammer. I disassembled it to figure out why I was getting light primer strikes and discovered that one of the hammer springs had broken. These guns haven't been made since before I was born so I either have to get extraordinarily lucky to find a spare or I have to find or have made an equivalent spring.

rump buttman
Feb 13, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

I went down a rabbit hole and ended up looking at bunch of Cole Agee and his cattle brand style is dope as gently caress. Who are the master engravers?

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Do you have stairs in your gun vault?

Alright, so I'm trying to remove the rear sight on my CZ so I can pop a reflex sight on there. I've never done this before, and just now learning I need a special sight remover and not just like, a special screwdriver or something. I'm trying to decide on this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XT8T3G...2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Or this:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Si...s/dp/B075QV1SQY

Anyone got particular advice on which?

It's kinda hard to tell but it doesn't look like I need a screwdriver for the CZ-75? I can't really tell though. There's definitely a little hole up there but it doesn't look like a screw's inside.

Thanks for your help yet again, sorry I'm dumb!

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Some CZ rears have a set screw. If it's just a fixed rear with no obvious screw you can just wail on it with a hammer and punch. Helps to put the slide in a vise. Fixies may be staked, beating it will break the staking, you just have to hit it really hard.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

GunFondler42069 posted:

Alright, so I'm trying to remove the rear sight on my CZ so I can pop a reflex sight on there. I've never done this before, and just now learning I need a special sight remover and not just like, a special screwdriver or something. I'm trying to decide on this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XT8T3G...2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Or this:

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Si...s/dp/B075QV1SQY

Anyone got particular advice on which?

It's kinda hard to tell but it doesn't look like I need a screwdriver for the CZ-75? I can't really tell though. There's definitely a little hole up there but it doesn't look like a screw's inside.

Thanks for your help yet again, sorry I'm dumb!

Iíve got the second one and itís changed a bunch of sights without issue. Itís a good buy.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Rifle rest recommendations? Simple and sturdy, preferably not too much more than $50.

Is a laser bore sight worth having, specifically, do the cheap ones actually work?

CoffeeBooze
Aug 4, 2007

Nuh Uh!

The Caldwel Lead Sled is pretty much the defacto shooting rest it seems. It goes for a bit more than $50 though. If you want a budget shooting rest I think a bipod and a sock or two full of kitty litter really cant be beat. A 2x4 and 4x4 block is also handy to get a bit of extra height if needed. I know that seems crude compared to a lot of the more high speed options on the market but its a dead simple and very effective setup that costs very little. It also works really well.

Someone else will hopefully be able to give some advice on a laser. Simply visually bore siting a rifle has always been good enough to get me on paper at 50 yards with every optic Ive used. If you are using an AR platform rifle bore siting can take a bit longer but its one of those skills that if you learn to do it it will serve you well for a long time to come. That might be something worth considering too.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

The Voice of Labor posted:

Rifle rest recommendations? Simple and sturdy, preferably not too much more than $50.

Is a laser bore sight worth having, specifically, do the cheap ones actually work?

I like the Caldwell Rock Jr. and a rear bag.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V6ZVT8...i_m7NXEb813GRTT

I like the caliber specific laser bore sites for when I travel or am checking zero as much as anything. They are also helpful on hard kicking guns like 12 gauge turkey loads to get zeroíed.

For getting zero one time with a gun that keeps an optic for years it isnít as useful. Once you start getting more than around 3 calibers itís worth getting a more universal system.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

For sock filling there's these plastic beads you can buy in 2 pound bags from sewing/craft places. They're better than kitty litter because if they get wet it doesn't matter it's plastic. Costs like 5 bucks for a bag.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The best shooting bag I ever had was the middle third of the right leg of a worn out pair of blue jeans sewn shut and filled with craft sand.

It walked off with a friend who borrowed it for a weekend and still hasnít given it back

You donít need to go full lead sled unless youíre getting into the pure mechanical accuracy weeds but the ones linked above are nice.

On the other hand you can also just nail some 2x4s into a box and staple a carpet scrap to the top.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hereís my current setup. The bags something I bought off Brownells or somewhere on sale and the I-beam shapes rest is just something my range keeps on hand with the target stands etc. the design is kind of neat. Itís asymmetrical so if you rotate it along the long axis you get different rough height adjustments and you fine tune with your own bag.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Your tiny soccer goal isn't bad either.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DIY brass catcher. Works great for everything from ARs to Garands. Big enough that I donít need to fret about making sure the brass goes in just the right place and no loving around with strapping one to the gun.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

I need one of those badly. I'm tired of chasing brass around.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Feel like I'm missing out by just using my 30 cal ammo can as a rest.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sten Freak posted:

I need one of those badly. I'm tired of chasing brass around.

Itís super easy and cheap to make. Hereís the video that I based mine on.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7nCzn3dyqq0

The major change I made was I used zip ties instead of those pipe clamp things heís using. I also didnít cement my pipes together. They come apart once in a while but nothing that takes more than ten seconds to adjust and never in use. Sometimes during transport is all. That was just me being lazy I might cement them sometime in the future.

I want to say the whole thing cost me $10. The laundry bag eventually gets holes burned in from hot brass but Iíve been able to mend the bigger ones with a little string and in one spot some field expedient zip ties. Even so it took me months of regular shooting to get to the point where I felt the need to fix anything. Eventually Iíll get a new bag but those are cheap.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

DIY brass catcher. Works great for everything from ARs to Garands. Big enough that I donít need to fret about making sure the brass goes in just the right place and no loving around with strapping one to the gun.
Oh I know what it is, just making a lame joke.

I got a picatinny-mount catcher awhile back that works pretty well.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Craptacular posted:

Oh I know what it is, just making a lame joke.

I got a picatinny-mount catcher awhile back that works pretty well.

Sadly I have yet to find a picatinny adapter for a G/K43.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Cyrano4747 posted:

The major change I made was I used zip ties instead of those pipe clamp things heís using. I also didnít cement my pipes together. They come apart once in a while but nothing that takes more than ten seconds to adjust and never in use. Sometimes during transport is all. That was just me being lazy I might cement them sometime in the future.

I want to say the whole thing cost me $10. The laundry bag eventually gets holes burned in from hot brass but Iíve been able to mend the bigger ones with a little string and in one spot some field expedient zip ties. Even so it took me months of regular shooting to get to the point where I felt the need to fix anything. Eventually Iíll get a new bag but those are cheap.
I need to get this done. Not sure i wanna spend time in a home depot line and store atm but once things improve.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sten Freak posted:

I need to get this done. Not sure i wanna spend time in a home depot line and store atm but once things improve.

Here you go. Have fun.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Cyrano4747 posted:

It'll up the cost slightly, but using a cheap canvas drop cloth from harbor freight would make a ton of sense here. As far as attaching it to the frame zip ties would be workable or 10-15mins on a sewing machine (if you have one).

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

I usually just fire one round and stand a big cardboard box on its end wherever the brass lands.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Proper Kerni ng posted:

I usually just fire one round and stand a big cardboard box on its end wherever the brass lands.

Same but I put a tarp down instead of a box.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Appleseed gear issues:

Iím doing an Appleseed event in a couple weeks. My initial thought was to just run an AR the whole time.

I watched some videos and the guy suggested shooting a rimfire the first day and if you make rifleman then trying with the centerfire on day two.

My rimfire options are limited. I have an M&P 15-22 which may or may not be allowed at this point. And I have a Remington 513T which is great except itís a bolt action.

I did some research and people are mostly of the opinion that a bolt action rimfire is fine for the event. However, mine only has irons on it, and my eyesight isnít great. Iím going to take it to the range this weekend and see how I do at 25 meters.

My next thought was to put a scope on it. But it doesnít have a normal mount - it only has holes for an old school Unertl target scope. I checked eBay and the cheapest Unertl that would work is $500. It would be awesome, but it seems like a dumb purchase right now. A guy at my club is theoretically selling a similar target rifle WITH a vintage target scope for $500 but again that seems like a lot of money to spend right now.

So now Iím back to probably running a centerfire AR both days, which isnít a big deal, but I was sort of looking forward to the zen of running a .22 for a day.

WSYTFR

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

I'd just run the AR.

I always prefer known equipment to trying to kludge together a setup last minute. Less struggling with gear = more learning. Disregard if you've got enough time to put the setup through it's paces before hand.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Run it with the AR and sign up again with a .22 down the road. Sounds like a strong consideration for a new .22, and one to put some thought into given how loving awesome the rimfire market is these days.

I wouldnít rush something in 2 weeks.

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

"Tell me of your home world, Usul"

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hereís my current setup. The bags something I bought off Brownells or somewhere on sale and the I-beam shapes rest is just something my range keeps on hand with the target stands etc. the design is kind of neat. Itís asymmetrical so if you rotate it along the long axis you get different rough height adjustments and you fine tune with your own bag.

I love the G43 style asthetics of the SL7 but it seems like an obscure and finicky rifle. There's so much better you could design as a sporter semi or g43 clone if you set out to it.

what I'm really saying here is ljungmann sporter clone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

My home defense situation solved itself, the shithead violated parole and got picked up on the county line at the bridge.

«1549 »