Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1549 »
my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

The SL7 is just a G3 action isn't it? Pretty much the least finicky thing there is then. It only looks G43ish IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My home defense situation solved itself, the shithead violated parole and got picked up on the county line at the bridge.

I’m glad that resolved within any incident for you.

Even if it was for poo poo reasons, at least you have a well thought out home defense plan now.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

My home defense situation solved itself, the shithead violated parole and got picked up on the county line at the bridge.

Sounds like the best possible outcome.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

I’m glad that resolved within any incident for you.

Even if it was for poo poo reasons, at least you have a well thought out home defense plan now.

I honestly cannot thank you guys enough for the help when it came to securing my home before lethal force was even considered. I was dealing with some poo poo, for the third fuckin’ time, but you all made it way less frantic. Thank you so much.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

infrared35 posted:

Appleseed gear issues:

WSYTFR

Plan on the 22 but bring the AR as a backup, if the 22 is slowing you down for one reason or another, don't hesitate to switch over. I did an appleseed last year and ran a 10/22 I had just bought and did VQ upgrades on just for the class. Everything about the gun was a great setup for the class but it wasn't well broken in, it was hot as balls out, and by each afternoon it was starting to choke ejecting brass during the AQT's. I'd get a FTE in the middle of the AQT, get slowed down to clear it and ejecting another live round in the process, taking potential points off the target. I pushed through way too long because I really wanted rifleman with a 22 and iron sights instead of with an AR and optic. Finally had enough and switched to the AR, running my scope dialed down to lowest setting of 1.5x. Wound up with my best scores on the AR, within 5 points I think of Rifleman, but only ended up with time for 1 or 2 AQT's on it. I'm confident that if I had ditched the 22 earlier I would have left with a patch.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oh good. That a great to hear.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

my kinda ape posted:

The SL7 is just a G3 action isn't it? Pretty much the least finicky thing there is then. It only looks G43ish IIRC

Yep.

Here’s the box thread for that gun where I took it apart: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...0871&perpage=40

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

I'd love to get a 22lr lever action (cuz cowboy gun), but I really really really don't want to give my money to Henry. Does anybody have any good recommendations?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Buy something used. Even if it ends up being a Henry they won’t see a cent of it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

That sounds super-Dukes of Hazzard for some reason. But also, it's good to hear that this situation is resolved, because it's one thing for folks to prepare for home defense when there is no actual, active threat, and another to have to deal with an actual threat. Some of us are happy with a gun and a flashlight, some have AR rifles stashed all over the house with biometric locks and ear pro handy. But it's all talk until some scumbag who wants to do you harm is actually threatening you.

I think you've now earned the right to tell everyone, "yeah, he's lucky the cops got to him before I did!"

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Good to hear this specific incident is resolved.

Funny enough my Youtube feed suggested this vid which reminded me of your earlier conversations, and I figured this would be helpful for those considering using shotguns for home defense:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJKoLG9XTtQ
Opinions on Paul Harrell aside, this is a good reminder to check what your patterns look like at various ranges with whatever ammo you're using.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

As someone who still considers himself a newbie, let me tell you something--the myth that shotguns are the best things for home defense because you don't even have to really aim is super-easy to believe. Sure, not to most people here. Half of you are probably already two paragraphs into your reply to this idiotic post and just coming back to see just how dumb I sound further into it. But if you don't know much about guns, or shotguns in particular, it's easy to believe pretty much whatever you're told, and I have been told, by gun people, that a shotgun is all you need if you don't know anything about guns and need one to defend your house.

Since shotguns seem to have a certain reputation that permeates American popular culture, it is just really easy to imagine that the only disadvantage to a shotgun in a home defense situation is the fact that, as a long gun, it's going to be harder to quickly maneuver. It never occurred to me, prior to looking for my first gun to buy, that a gun that sprayed projectiles so widely that aiming wasn't important might send some of those projectiles through my exterior walls and into the homes of my neighbors.

Seriously, of all the bad gun advice that gun people give to newbies or people just thinking about getting a gun for home defense, a case could be made that "get a shotgun so you don't have to aim" is the worst.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

tarlibone posted:

It never occurred to me, prior to looking for my first gun to buy, that a gun that sprayed projectiles so widely that aiming wasn't important...
Gonna resist the multi-paragraph reply you alluded to and just focus on this part: even a cylinder bore is gonna pattern reeeeaaaal tight at a distance of [shooting across a room at someone]. It's not spraying projectiles widely, it's projecting them in a grouping the size of a fist if you're only a few yards (or, god forbid, feet) away. That's why the whole "you don't need to aim" thing is such trash.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Carbohydrates posted:

Gonna resist the multi-paragraph reply you alluded to and just focus on this part: even a cylinder bore is gonna pattern reeeeaaaal tight at a distance of [shooting across a room at someone]. It's not spraying projectiles widely, it's projecting them in a grouping the size of a fist if you're only a few yards (or, god forbid, feet) away. That's why the whole "you don't need to aim" thing is such trash.

Yes, I know. I was just commenting on how people believe that myth, and how even if you accept it as true--which it isn't--it's still a bad thing, because life isn't a video game. You don't get points for just hitting the bad guy. Part of your score is how well you hit him, and how often you missed, and what happened to those misses. A shotgun that patterns so widely that you don't have to aim at 5 yards is going to send buckshot through a bunch of walls, and not TV bulletproof walls.

I think it's easier to get a newbie to understand that part of the shotgun conundrum first, and then while they're thinking about that, let them know that it's all horse poo poo anyway, because at 5 - 10 yards, you absolutely do have to aim, and even then you still might have flyers, and even with aiming and good ammo, you only have so much control over where those projectiles go. Shotgun pattern discussions make a lot of sense to people who know stuff about guns, and less to people who don't. But literally everyone understands what can happen to a projectile that's soaring through the air, then walls, then people on the other side of those walls.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

tarlibone posted:

Seriously, of all the bad gun advice that gun people give to newbies or people just thinking about getting a gun for home defense, a case could be made that "get a shotgun so you don't have to aim" is the worst.

Back during one of the pushes for gun control when he was vice president, Biden once had an interview where he said "You don't need an AR. Just get a double barreled shotgun! If you hear a noise, you can just unload both barrels through the door!" or something close to that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Back during one of the pushes for gun control when he was vice president, Biden once had an interview where he said "You don't need an AR. Just get a double barreled shotgun! If you hear a noise, you can just unload both barrels through the door!" or something close to that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JTD5i5q7-Lo

This is TERRIBLE advice on multiple levels.

Not the least being that HD shotgun loads stay lethal at a distance so you just endangered the neighbors.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Also can’t post that without this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ooPzr1vzmGY

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Hell when I worked the gun counter at a Cabela's for a couple months I heard that crap from an older coworker a couple times

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Internet Wizard posted:

Hell when I worked the gun counter at a Cabela's for a couple months I heard that crap from an older coworker a couple times

Yeah it’s really common with old dudes. My father in law is not a dumb man and i had to sit down and lay out very clearly why his HD plan of “get my 1911 and put a few warning shots into the floor to scare them away” wasn’t a great idea.

His bedroom is on the second floor by the way.

I later had to explain why “put a couple rounds out the window” was not better.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

A garden full of trees, and a pocket full of cheese.

I've heard some people saying that just the sound of a pump being racked will scare them off. It *might* to some people, But maybe not so much if they have a gun also.

Perhaps because it IS so ingrained in pop culture, the threat of a shotgun might be enough of a deterrent because even the bad guys know that "shotgun = will gently caress you up".

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

I've heard some people saying that just the sound of a pump being racked will scare them off. It *might* to some people, But maybe not so much if they have a gun also.

Perhaps because it IS so ingrained in pop culture, the threat of a shotgun might be enough of a deterrent because even the bad guys know that "shotgun = will gently caress you up".

I'd think it's more "oh poo poo someone is home". Since the majority of people breaking into homes try to do it when no one is there. A shotgun rack sound might add a bit of spice to it, but just being there is going to make most of them turn and bail.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

JukeboxHerostratus posted:

I'd love to get a 22lr lever action (cuz cowboy gun), but I really really really don't want to give my money to Henry. Does anybody have any good recommendations?
Buy a used pre-Remington Marlin 39 and never look back.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah it’s really common with old dudes. My father in law is not a dumb man and i had to sit down and lay out very clearly why his HD plan of “get my 1911 and put a few warning shots into the floor to scare them away” wasn’t a great idea.

His bedroom is on the second floor by the way.

I later had to explain why “put a couple rounds out the window” was not better.

Still possible criminal charges, sure, but at least you won't have to fix the holes in the floor.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

ThinkFear posted:

Still possible criminal charges, sure, but at least you won't have to fix the holes in the floor.

True, but no one said the window was open

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JTD5i5q7-Lo

This is TERRIBLE advice on multiple levels.

Not the least being that HD shotgun loads stay lethal at a distance so you just endangered the neighbors.

Doesn’t .223 lose energy way faster than buckshot when it hits walls? I remember the box of truth experiments but that was all drywall, not sure how that compares to actual use where studs/pipes/tile is involved.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Doesn’t .223 lose energy way faster than buckshot when it hits walls? I remember the box of truth experiments but that was all drywall, not sure how that compares to actual use where studs/pipes/tile is involved.

Basically if you use defensive rounds in an AR what penetration you do get has less energy going through a few interior then an exterior wall than buckshot does.

If you use 5.56 ball rounds you're going to drill through that exterior wall like a dewalt.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

My dad (who lives in Florida) is cleaning a house that belongs to his wife's family in Oklahoma in order to help sell the home. While cleaning it, he found two revolvers, apparently a Colt Detective Special and an H&R something-or-other, both 38sp. The owner of the guns is an older man who now has dementia, and the family (legal guardian? I think??) wants to sell the firearms. What is the best way forward here? I'm in Texas, within driving distance, so I can help and assess them and such, but I don't really know how to proceed with actually getting rid of the guns. I know better than to take anything y'all say as Legal Advice, just looking for some thoughts here.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Unless Oklahoma has some goofy state law, I don't think you have to prove ownership of a firearm when selling it. I would still absolutely have documentation proving legal guardianship to be safe even if I knew it wouldn't be an issue.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Is the intention to get the most money out of the sale, or just to get rid of them legally?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Craptacular posted:

Is the intention to get the most money out of the sale, or just to get rid of them legally?
He sounded pretty ambivalent either way when we spoke on the phone, so I am getting the impression it's more "get rid of them" with a tacked on "...and maybe make a bit of money if possible?"

I think I'm gonna take a look at em for him.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Carbohydrates posted:

He sounded pretty ambivalent either way when we spoke on the phone, so I am getting the impression it's more "get rid of them" with a tacked on "...and maybe make a bit of money if possible?"

Worst case scenario he can call his local PD, they usually have programs to turn in firearms.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

Probably the easiest thing would be for the executor to take the guns to a local gun store and put them on consignment. They'd get some money out of the guns (not as much as a private sale), but it's very little effort on the executor's part.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The flip side is it might take a long while going that route. But it is definitely easier.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Craptacular posted:

Probably the easiest thing would be for the executor to take the guns to a local gun store and put them on consignment. They'd get some money out of the guns (not as much as a private sale), but it's very little effort on the executor's part.

This is good advice, but if he just wants to be rid of them outright and be done with it quickly it might be worthwhile to just go to the gun store or even a pawn shop and sell them straight up.

You won't get as much that way, not by a long shot, but if we're talking liquidating even a small estate it might be relatively small change compared to the bank accounts etc and frankly estate poo poo can be a giant headache by itself. It might be worth taking a bath to the tune of a few hundred bucks to just get it off the executor's plate.

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

JukeboxHerostratus posted:

No idea if the Freedom Group models were worth a drat, but if you ever find a (JM) Marlin Model 39 or 39A, jump the heck on it.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

CainFortea posted:

Basically if you use defensive rounds in an AR what penetration you do get has less energy going through a few interior then an exterior wall than buckshot does.

If you use 5.56 ball rounds you're going to drill through that exterior wall like a dewalt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw8IiRgSMFQ#t=1003s

Even 5.56 ball stops quicker than buckshot on a hit. But that's on a hit, of course. A miss? Yeah that poo poo is gonna keep going a while.

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

"Tell me of your home world, Usul"

CainFortea posted:

The flip side is it might take a long while going that route. But it is definitely easier.

now's a pretty good time to sell with the rona and the runup to the election though

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

IF I JUST LICK ENOUGH BOOT LEATHER, BIG DADDY TRUMP WILL SURELY LOVE ME

Anybody ordered from grabagun lately? Ordered a Ruger mkiv to my local range, they showed in stock but got a credit notice saying it was getting cancelled and refunded without saying a reason. Still shows as in stock.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

Anybody ordered from grabagun lately? Ordered a Ruger mkiv to my local range, they showed in stock but got a credit notice saying it was getting cancelled and refunded without saying a reason. Still shows as in stock.

I got my S&W 629 from there last month. Didn't have an issue at all.

If they cancelled and refunded, then something strange is amiss. I'd contact their customer service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

tarlibone posted:

it's all talk until some scumbag who wants to do you harm is actually threatening you.

Yep. The sense of clarity you gain from that is incredible.

«1549 »