Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1549 »
Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

I'm trying to find a good FFL near Austin. Preferably, they don't charge a gajllion bucks and won't open fire on me if I pull into the parking lot playing a podcast with Robert Evans' voice in it. Assuming nobody has a preference to recommend, what should I be looking out for? I've been using https://www.gunbroker.com/ffl/index as a reference but that doesn't say anything about how well they do their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I use elite guns, they're... i think 30 bux a pop?
. If you find a better option, let me know

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

What's the general thought of this type of safe?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bench-Gun-...et/172848564673

I know "Fire Tested" is meaningless. But I like the thought of a safe that can function as furniture. I'm also never going to have much more than the three ARs, shotgun, and Badger that I have right now. I'll probably trade an AR for a PC carbine just so I'll have a rifle platform to shoot at the range.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If it doesnít bolt to a structural member of the house (edit: or weigh so much it canít be moved without specialized tools) itís just a fancy carry tote for any thief to take all your guns at once.

Now if itís hidden as furniture it might survive due to not being seen but at that point you could do the same thing with an unlocked wooden box that looked like a ottoman or whatever.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If it's heavy enough that it presents a theft deterrent, it's heavy enough to really suck as an ottoman. Who wants to drag that much weight around the living room just so you can put your feet up?

If it's bolted to the floor it sucks even more. Why would you want an ottoman you can't move?

And if it's not heavy and it's not bolted, it's not actually a security device. Entire concept is flawed, imo.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Hmmm.

After reading this place for years and years, I feel like a proper safe needs to be professionally installed. I've been looking for a way to safely secure and organize my guns so I don't just have them laying around. When I say safe, I mean keeping a maintenance man or friend from playing with a rifle. Thief deterrence is low on the list, mostly because our condo is rarely empty, has extremely low crime statistics, and a security system. I'm just trying to live a little less like a warlord with a closet full of guns.

I also have a place a long ottoman could live in my room.

But those are some excellent points, so I'll take it into consideration. I just consider those Stack On cabinets a bit of an eyesore and don't have a great place to put one.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Captain Log posted:

Hmmm.

After reading this place for years and years, I feel like a proper safe needs to be professionally installed. I've been looking for a way to safely secure and organize my guns so I don't just have them laying around. When I say safe, I mean keeping a maintenance man or friend from playing with a rifle. Thief deterrence is low on the list, mostly because our condo is rarely empty, has extremely low crime statistics, and a security system. I'm just trying to live a little less like a warlord with a closet full of guns.

But those are some excellent points, so I'll take it into consideration. I just consider those Stack On cabinets a bit of an eyesore and don't have a great place to put one.

Have you thought about just putting a keyed dead bolt on a coat closet and put a gun rack in there?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Flatland Crusoe posted:

Have you thought about just putting a keyed dead bolt on a coat closet and put a gun rack in there?

Yes, I have. Some of my foibles make me way, way overthink things. Especially when money is involved. But I need to price out that option.

I just have a soft spot for anything with multiple purposes - such as the safe ottoman. Or a knife wrench.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Captain Log posted:

Hmmm.

Before going to an actual safe, I've yet to find anything that looks like protection per dollar than a jobsite toolbox with a layer of ammo or lead at the bottom for weight.

The way the padlocks are installed, they'd be difficult to pick because you can't really get a good grasp on the lock to pull it out without a key retained in the keyway.

I'd guess conservatively that mine weighs at least 400 lbs when full and that's not leaving the closet without specialized tools unless opened or a beefy crew of ne'er-do-wells.

Bonus: When I eventually step up to a safe, I have a big-rear end toolbox to lock up my power tools.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Parts Kit posted:

I have one, it's pretty fun.

Downsides you should be aware of:
1. heavy for its size
2. doesn't have a rep for good accuracy compared to say ar15s, iirc they average in the 2 moa area? Haven't been able to get mine benched to confirm due to coronavirus shutting down the outdoor range though.
3. OEM charging handle sticks out a bunch, but Manticore Arms makes a folding handle that's nice.
4. If you plan to suppress it the barrel shoulder is kind of small and you kinda need a special spacer to compensate.
5. Also if you plan to suppress it's a good idea to get a gasketed ejection port cover for the non-ejection side as it's gassy there
6. There's also a couple of seams where it gets gassy when suppressed and there's nothing you can do about it. Not a big deal though, it's just a little escaping.

One big downside:
The 16" version is just barely over the NFA minimum length so you can't really do much without accidentally creating a SBR. Like even swapping out the butt pad with a butt plate is verboten. I'd say get an 18" one.

Any issues with gen 3 magpul pmags?

Proper Kerni ng
Nov 14, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm trying to find a good FFL near Austin. Preferably, they don't charge a gajllion bucks and won't open fire on me if I pull into the parking lot playing a podcast with Robert Evans' voice in it. Assuming nobody has a preference to recommend, what should I be looking out for? I've been using https://www.gunbroker.com/ffl/index as a reference but that doesn't say anything about how well they do their job.
Roll around to pawn shops and ask if they do transfers and how much they charge if so. While you're there you might find some good deals on guns or tools, which a smart shop owner will understand; if they give you a stinkeye or runaround, now you have a jerk business to cross off your list. Antique shops are another underutilized resource to check, a lot of them also have FFL 2s so they can buy/sell as pawnbrokers of guns more modern than antiques; I use an antique shop in Lockhart on the exceedingly rare occasion of buying a gun from elsewhere. Most of the places I've seen in the Austin area charge $25, so don't go with anything more than that unless it's just a super cool place for whatever reason; last I checked, Red's Indoor Ranges in south Austin and Round Rock were $25, as was GT Distributors on North Lamar, and they were all pretty cool way back when.

The Gobbledygooker
Apr 5, 2007

How safe to fire is a S&W 1905 M&P 32-20 1st change? I've read some about how you should be fine with the later heat treated models but I'm mostly ignorant on this subject. Also just general info on it would be useful too.

The Gobbledygooker fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 2, 2020

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

The Bananana posted:

Any issues with gen 3 magpul pmags?

Not that I've noticed but I don't have many.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The Gobbledygooker posted:

How safe to fire is a S&W 1905 M&P 32-20 1st change? I've read some about how you should be fine with the later heat treated models but I'm mostly ignorant on this subject. Also just general info on it would be useful too.

You might have better luck asking in the revolver thread. More chances that someone who knows about them will see it n

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've decided it's time for a rifle because now can finally afford one. I've always loved the classic AK47 but most of the websites I've seen look like mostly modified modern versions....Is it possible to get a Vietnam era AK47 or at least one that looks like it? Where is the best place to get one?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Is it possible to get a Vietnam era AK47
Legit Vietnam-era AK's are available, but they're all full-auto war bringbacks and are really really pricey because they're so rare. Semi-auto AK's weren't imported until the early 80's, so getting a Vietnam-era semi-auto isn't possible.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

or at least one that looks like it? Where is the best place to get one?
I assume you mean "has wood furniture." I would get the best AK you can for the amount of money you want to spend, and then if it doesn't have wood furniture get those later. It's not difficult to change out the furniture. Try the AK thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3244588

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Should i do a box thread for my x95? Just got it today.

I haven't had a box thread in many moons.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

The Bananana posted:

Hell yeah man. I think it would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The Bananana posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQRW0RM4V0k

«1549 »