Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

As already recommended, get an occluder for your off eye so you can keep it open (practice with it!) to prevent strain on your eyes and facial muscles, and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

That's something I should look into.

I just bought an eyepatch from Walmart (ugh, couldn't find one anywhere else) for tomorrow. It starts at 8:30am so I won't have time to get anything delivered to me. I think this might help. Unfortunately I'm left eye dominant and it can focus better than my right eye but I shoot right handed.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I got my rifleman badge!

It was cold and rainy and super muddy today but at the very end of the day I got it.

First target is standing, next row is sitting (my favorite), third row is transition from standing to shooting in prone, last row is prone... for the left target.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I got my rifleman badge!

Heck ya man. Good job!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I got my rifleman badge!

It was cold and rainy and super muddy today but at the very end of the day I got it.

First target is standing, next row is sitting (my favorite), third row is transition from standing to shooting in prone, last row is prone... for the left target.

500 yards with *iron sights?* Hot drat that's good.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

lite_sleepr posted:

The targets are at 25 meters and scaled to represent the size of the targets at the various distances. This allows appleseeds to be held at any range that has at least 25 meters and allows .22lr to make it cheap and easy to get more shooters in the program.

They do organize known distance shoots where they use full size targets at the various distances but they require you pass a local appleseed iirc and obviously add the element of adjusting your sights for the distance of each target and require something with a bit better ballistics than .22lr.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

^^^ This.

lite_sleepr posted:

I used a scope. The first time I went I brought an AR with iron sights and literally everyone else (maybe 15+ people) had a .22LR with a scope. I assumed scopes weren't allowed. So last time and this time I brought my 10/22 with some accessory upgrades. I used a cheaper Simmons Truplex .22 Mag scope. Apparently that's one of the most common for 10/22s which is why I got it I'm guessing. I think I might want to upgrade.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Just loving great. One of the torx screws holding the optics mount on my FNX Tac completely stripped using the supplied tool and now I have to drill it out. The other one came out without any difficulty is why it pisses me off.

gently caress TORX.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Torx would be ok if gun companies didn't use the softest screws possible

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Having helped build decks with Phillips and Torx screws, I gotta agree with the Beeb.

Torx ain't your problem.

Soft-rear end screws and assholes with impact drivers are the problem.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gun ID request: from the protests in Myanmar

Some sort of air rifle? Considering you can see through it all the way under the barrel, it looks like it has very little in the way of an action.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Definitely an air rifle of sorts, crude like a potato gun. Or maybe a pipe shotgun.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Capn Beeb posted:

Torx would be ok if gun companies didn't use the softest screws possible

I have a Grey Ghost glock slide that has a screw broken off in it because the head of one of the included screws just snapped right off when I was mounting an RMR to it. Extremely jazzed about that. And of course the other screw is stripping so Iíve just left it alone until I can afford somebody to fix it.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I've built wooden fences using torx screws and they are great for putting in a ton of screws really fast and not slipping. But even in that application, the shits just fall apart as soon as you try to reverse them for any reason. It makes no sense because there isn't a logical reason for them to be weaker than other screw designs, but I've heard tons of anecdotes from others working with wood that say the same thing.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Sounds like torx screws should be single-use items.

Which means they should be replaced with nails or rivets.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

I don't know if this is the case, but I would assume either the screw was weakened by being over torqued when it was put in, or else there's thread locker involved (maybe both).

For something like a fence, there's also the added issue of being out in the elements for a while.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I've removed screws in decks, and again, Torx is king.

If you have cheap and lovely screws, you'll have a cheap and lovely time dealing with them. And if someone over-torqued them on the way in, you'll have a lovely time getting them out.

I've worked with both Phillips and Torx a lot in construction involving dense wood, and it's made me a Torx believer. Your bits last longer, the screw heads get wallowed out less, there is a lot less slippage, and because there's more surface area contact with the Torx shape, less force is required to prevent slipping.

I only like Phillips for aesthetic reasons (and I prefer slotted screws if I'm putting something together that has to look nice with exposed screws), and in drywall screws. And honestly, the thing about drywall screws is mostly due to the fact that those are the perfect fastener for general home use: they bite quick, they go in fast, they'll work on nearly anything in your house, and they're strong. Their practical use advantages far outweigh the disadvantages of their head type.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I've had the worst luck with torx screws on Surefire lights, mainly the ones that hold the Scout mounts.

Guess Surefire cheaped out in that section.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Dip Viscous posted:

I've built wooden fences using torx screws and they are great for putting in a ton of screws really fast and not slipping. But even in that application, the shits just fall apart as soon as you try to reverse them for any reason. It makes no sense because there isn't a logical reason for them to be weaker than other screw designs, but I've heard tons of anecdotes from others working with wood that say the same thing.

Dad's a general contractor and he tends to use Robertson screws for decks and such up here, but this is and all that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I bought some heavy treated pine screws to put together a retaining wall and was very impressed to see that they came with a 3/8" drive Robertson head drill bit. Wasn't the best material; by the time I had finished it was mostly fuckered, but it was fantastic while it lasted.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Fearless posted:

Dad's a general contractor and he tends to use Robertson screws for decks and such up here, but this is and all that.

I sincerely wish Robertson screws were widely available down here.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

infrared35 posted:

I sincerely wish Robertson screws were widely available down here.

Of all the oddball (in the US) fasteners I see used on cargo trailers, Robertson is the least PIA to deal with. I especially like it when all the screws are Robertson, securing both the wood floor and the metal skin. I've used the same cheap Robertson drivers for about four years and never had a problem stripping screws, breaking heads off, or rounding the bit. The same can not be said for torx, star, or allen fasteners. It's very much appreciated when repairs have to be done quickly and/or on the road.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

madeintaipei posted:

Of all the oddball (in the US) fasteners I see used on cargo trailers, Robertson is the least PIA to deal with. I especially like it when all the screws are Robertson, securing both the wood floor and the metal skin. I've used the same cheap Robertson drivers for about four years and never had a problem stripping screws, breaking heads off, or rounding the bit. The same can not be said for torx, star, or allen fasteners. It's very much appreciated when repairs have to be done quickly and/or on the road.

Yep, and they're great when you have to take apart a wooden shipping crate, and then (usually) put it back together again.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

infrared35 posted:

Yep, and they're great when you have to take apart a wooden shipping crate, and then (usually) put it back together again.

Things that only concern customs and thieves.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Things that only concern customs and thieves.

And the clients that purchase large, delicate architectural models and have them shipped across the country.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

I was more thinking of the putting it back together again, but maybe you have to ship those back?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was more thinking of the putting it back together again, but maybe you have to ship those back?

Usually no, it is considered to be part and parcel of the model cost but the firm I worked for had a couple of massive crates we shipped a model to Hong Kong in get returned to us. Those had to be disassembled to properly extract the model inside.

We had them listed on Kijiji for months as shipping crates with zero interest, but when I switched the description to "Post-Industrial furniture, with authentic shipping labels and travel scuffs" we had like six calls about the two of them in a single day. East Vancouver hipsters gotta hip, I guess.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 1, 2021

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Fearless posted:

We had them listed on Kijiji for months as shipping crates with zero interest, but when I switched the description to "Post-Industrial furniture, with authentic shipping labels and travel scuffs" we had like six calls about the two of them in a single day. East Vancouver hipsters gotta hip, I guess.

There's a local coffee shop where the tables are made to look like old shipping crates. The customs stamps are bogus but they have what appear to be legit IPPC markings.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

So this is a strange problem to have, but:

I need a piece of shot or ball bearing smaller than an eighth of an inch to (hopefully) bolster my '97's extraction. Where do I go to find shot for sale and listed by size? Or is #8 birdshot smaller than an eight of an inch?

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Capn Beeb posted:

I need a piece of shot or ball bearing smaller than an eighth of an inch to (hopefully) bolster my '97's extraction. Where do I go to find shot for sale and listed by size? Or is #8 birdshot smaller than an eight of an inch?

Not sure why you would want a ball for this but any shot under #6 would qualify. If you want it to stay round probably don't want lead shot. You can buy bearing type steel balls from McMaster or other supply shops: https://www.mcmaster.com/steel-balls/diameter~0-101/ . Or just buy a shotgun shell from somebody if you don't have one.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

Any recommendations for a 10/22 rotary loader? Are they all pretty much the same? Iím looking at this Caldwell https://smile.amazon.com/Caldwell-Magazine-Reloading-Calibers-Construction/dp/B07KT9NYGV/ if so.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

They are all pretty much the same. Will save your thumbs and be a lot cleaner than manually loading. Require some finesse to make it work well and they can have challenges with off-brand and larger magazines.

I use this one now https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CXN9UA

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

Gracias

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Styles Bitchley posted:

Not sure why you would want a ball for this but any shot under #6 would qualify. If you want it to stay round probably don't want lead shot. You can buy bearing type steel balls from McMaster or other supply shops: https://www.mcmaster.com/steel-balls/diameter~0-101/ . Or just buy a shotgun shell from somebody if you don't have one.

Because Winchester 1897s are weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-bbh1HVPCk#t=558s

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Re: stuck screw chat
I donít know if they make them small enough for the little 6-32 screws they use for RMRs, but with some effort Iíve had good success with using EZ outs, which are basically super hard left handed threaded screws you can screw into the stuck screw, and since their threads are opposite, when you crank down on them the drive the stuck thread out.
Not the easiest thing to get it bedded properly but itís always a relief to get a stuck screw out.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

Rotometals but usually has it by the 25 lb bag, if you not in a rush i can send you some #9 and #8 when i get back home in two weeks.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Re: stuck screw chat
I don’t know if they make them small enough for the little 6-32 screws they use for RMRs, but with some effort I’ve had good success with using EZ outs, which are basically super hard left handed threaded screws you can screw into the stuck screw, and since their threads are opposite, when you crank down on them the drive the stuck thread out.
Not the easiest thing to get it bedded properly but it’s always a relief to get a stuck screw out.

BURN THE WITCH!!!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Git gud.

It helps that I have access to actual vises, mills, etc.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Part 1 of a 2 part Question. The sequel is going in the NFA thread
Part 1.

I have been looking for a 16" complete upper in 300 blk, but I have noticed like 80% of them still have a pistol-length gas system. Very few run carbine length. Any thoughts or info on why the shorter pistol-length gasser is used, despite 16" Barrel?

To be continued...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

The Bananana posted:

Part 1 of a 2 part Question. The sequel is going in the NFA thread
Part 1.

I have been looking for a 16" complete upper in 300 blk, but I have noticed like 80% of them still have a pistol-length gas system. Very few run carbine length. Any thoughts or info on why the shorter pistol-length gasser is used, despite 16" Barrel?

To be continued...

.300blk was created and intended to be run in short barrels with minimal failures in either subsonic or supersonic ammunition. The optimum length is 9Ē if I remember correctly. Since it was intended for short barrels there really isnít anything to gain from longer gas systems. The shorter pistol gas system works well with subsonic ammo (most subs use pistol powders for quick burns). You might be slightly overgassed if all you do is run supersonic ammo with a suppressor, but that wasnít really what it was made for.