Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness
Journey Before Destination

The Bananana posted:

Part 1 of a 2 part Question. The sequel is going in the NFA thread
Part 1.

I have been looking for a 16" complete upper in 300 blk, but I have noticed like 80% of them still have a pistol-length gas system. Very few run carbine length. Any thoughts or info on why the shorter pistol-length gasser is used, despite 16" Barrel?

To be continued...
Spec for 300blk is basically all pistol length gas tube all the time.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Ok, but what if I want to use a 16" with supersonic ammo? Still ok with the pistol length gas?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Ruger Mark IV question: how much better/different is the Mark IV compared to the Mark III? I've been looking to get a Mark IV Target with the bull barrel since I learned to shoot on old Mark IIs of similar design. A local gun shop has a lightly used Mark III Target with a 10" barrel at a very good price, but I'm wondering if it is worth the extra cost to get a new one with the simplified take-down.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Ruger Mark IV question: how much better/different is the Mark IV compared to the Mark III? I've been looking to get a Mark IV Target with the bull barrel since I learned to shoot on old Mark IIs of similar design. A local gun shop has a lightly used Mark III Target with a 10" barrel at a very good price, but I'm wondering if it is worth the extra cost to get a new one with the simplified take-down.

The take-down on the new ones is so insanely simple that you won't hesitate to clean your gun. I've never shot a Mark III, but from what I've heard, the actual functionality on the guns is pretty much the same. But, the take-down on previous versions is infamously difficult, and that's nothing compared to getting it back together. I've watched videos where dudes who say that the old ones aren't hard to deal with reassemble them, and in my eyes, they prove themselves wrong.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness

A lot. Get a mk IV.

The Bananana posted:

Ok, but what if I want to use a 16" with supersonic ammo? Still ok with the pistol length gas?
Yes.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

I am a big advocate for easy-to-field-strip .22s because I've actually had to strip and clean .22s mid range trip to address malfunctions.
The disassembly of a MKIII looked difficult enough that I ended up getting a Beretta Neos for my first pistol.
You can get the barrel off of a MKIV in less than 10 seconds with no tools.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

You can turn a Mk.{I,II,III} into a Mk.IV with a simple kit.

I have one and itís night and day. I wouldnít let the older versions keep you from .22 happiness.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I got my rifleman badge!

It was cold and rainy and super muddy today but at the very end of the day I got it.

First target is standing, next row is sitting (my favorite), third row is transition from standing to shooting in prone, last row is prone... for the left target.

Heck yeah man, 225 isn't far off distinguished rifleman, with a scope it's 240, with irons it's 230, if you want another goal to chase. 225 was my first AQT score and I chased 230 for 2 years after that and finally got it in '19, feels so good. Part of me wants to try and chase down 250 but I definitely need a better rifle for that. Shot my 230 with a boltgun

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

Continuing the Mark IV lust-fest: itís relatively easy to find a base model black one for about $424 locally. Any downside to getting one and just tweaking it up instead of paying (currently) $700-800 for a Lite?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

A Ruger Mk4 is different from a 22/45, right?

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

Yeah but Iím not sure what the differences are. I canít find a comparison chart.

[edit] the grips and Bull barrel seem to be the major differences.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pipebomb fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 4, 2021

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Android Apocalypse posted:

A Ruger Mk4 is different from a 22/45, right?

The 22/45 is basically just a mark IV with a different grip angle I believe.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Polymer frame and a 1911 grip angle, vs the alloy frame and Luger/Glock grip angle.

Beyond that it's barrel profile and rail options.

Personally, I like the 22/45 lite the best, really great balance, light overall weight. Only thing I wish it had was an underbarrel rail because the 22/45 tactical is big time front heavy and I wanna shoot in my backyard at night sometimes.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

gently caress meÖIím like an hour away from getting the 22/45 in red bidding under $500 and Iím having a panic attack. Thinking I may go as high as 650Öitís the one I really want.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

For what it's worth, I really enjoy my Mk IV Tactical with the more traditional Luger/Nambu/Glock grip angle. Especially after I put a Volquartsen/Tandemkross trigger accurizing thingamajig in it

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I'm seriously thinking of selling my Mk3 for a 22/45 so that I can have a top rail for an optic & the ability to thread a suppressor on down the line. Under barrel rail is not as necessary to me.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Love the Ruger IV Lite that I bought for my wife. All I've done to it is clean it and replace the rail with a lower Holosun mount.

Wouldn't hesitate to buy the gun again.

edit; and I obviously subscribe to the "more lumens is always better" train of thought.

dema fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 4, 2021

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

I am the happiest goon in the whole world. After shipping/ffl itíll be under $600. 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Now put the hugest AR-15 flash hider you can find onto it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness

dema posted:

Love the Ruger IV Lite that I bought for my wife. All I've done to it is clean it and replace the rail with a lower Holosun mount.

Wouldn't hesitate to buy the gun again.

edit; and I obviously subscribe to the "more lumens is always better" train of thought.
Which optic mount is that on the mk IV?

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

Dip Viscous posted:

Now put the hugest AR-15 flash hider you can find onto it.

Already ordered. 10.5Ē and breach ready, of course.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Perfect. Fantastic.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

pipebomb posted:

I am the happiest goon in the whole world. After shipping/ffl itíll be under $600. 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

22/45's are going for $600 now?

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

ilkhan posted:

Which optic mount is that on the mk IV?

Looks like Lobos Industries?

https://lobos-industries.com/products/low-profile-red-dot-mount-ruger-mark-series-rmr-footprint

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness

Thanks. I have one but it's way more bulky. I'll probably grab that one. It's cheap and svelte in comparison.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Android Apocalypse posted:

22/45's are going for $600 now?

Inexplicably, the "Tactical" versions of the 22/45 are some $200 more expensive than the non-tactical versions, which are still going for around $450-$550 when they pop up

edit: proof

as far as i can tell these two are the exact same aside from the threaded barrel and picatinny rails

Triggerhappypilot fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 5, 2021

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yup, that's it. Been great. Has heald zero over the last year and a few thousand rounds. Though, I'm sure my range bag is more punishing than a bunch of 22lr recoil.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

as far as i can tell these two are the exact same aside from the threaded barrel and picatinny rails

Yeah, but if you have the one with the rail and threaded barrel you can get a can and red dot and shoot steel. Pew - tink, pew - tink.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Wait, I can put a big stupid comp on my threaded Turnbull?

One that I could then take off before anyone sees?

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Captain Log posted:

Wait, I can put a big stupid comp on my threaded Turnbull?

One that I could then take off before anyone sees?

Go hog wild!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

Ugh wanna sell my bull barrel mk2 to fund a 22/45.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

That PDP tho... If I could sell all my polymer guns and standardize on the PDP, I would.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 5, 2021

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

That PDP tho... If I could sell all my polymer guns and standardize on the PDP, I would.

I'm really hoping they come out with a 5" version with the paddle mag release. I seem to have missed the boat on the PPQ.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

While I'd say a 5" match version is almost a certainty, I'd wouldn't hold your breath for a paddle version. The paddle release was too good for this harsh world.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I reeeeeeally like the PDP. Too big for my wife to shoot, but the ergos are perfect for me and the trigger is nice and crisp. Very interested in a match version.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

While I'd say a 5" match version is almost a certainty, I'd wouldn't hold your breath for a paddle version. The paddle release was too good for this harsh world.

Probably. Upside is, if I ever find a used PPQ M1, I can put the PDP's 5" slide on it and get the cowitness dot mount.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Crab Dad posted:

Ugh wanna sell my bull barrel mk2 to fund a 22/45.

What's the barrel length?

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Anyone ever hear of https://frankierugers.com before?

They've got stuff in stock no one else has and at pre panic prices too so I'm wary that they're legit? Looks too good to be true.

e: welp, google search does not look good.

just checked their FAQ

Oh no, I've fallen down a rabbit hole of fake gun seller sites
caseyfirearms.com
deltamunitions.com

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 6, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wifi Toilet posted:

They've got stuff in stock no one else has and at pre panic prices too so I'm wary that they're legit? Looks too good to be true.

just checked their FAQ

haha wow

Abandon all hope, ye who enter your credit card details here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Wifi Toilet posted:

just checked their FAQ

Oh no, I've fallen down a rabbit hole of fake gun seller sites
caseyfirearms.com
deltamunitions.com

From their FAQ -
--------------------
SHIPPING
What Shipping Methods Are Available?

Ex Portland Pitchfork irure mustache. Eutra fap before they sold out literally. Aliquip ugh bicycle rights actually mlkshk, seitan squid craft beer tempor.

Do You Ship Internationally?

Hoodie tote bag mixtape tofu. Typewriter jean shorts wolf quinoa, messenger bag organic freegan cray.

How Long Will It Take To Get My Package?

Swag slow-carb quinoa VHS typewriter pork belly brunch, paleo single-origin coffee Wes Anderson. Flexitarian Pitchfork forage, literally paleo fap pour-over. Wes Anderson Pinterest YOLO fanny pack meggings, deep v XOXO chambray sustainable slow-carb raw denim church-key fap chillwave Etsy. +1 typewriter kitsch, American Apparel tofu Banksy Vice.
---------------

It just keeps going and going.

"Swag Slow Carb Quinoa" would be my gunfighter name.