Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Comps on handguns are cool.

You're welcome to try my Glock out ifwhen we get the PNW shoot organized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Captain Log posted:

I've never shot a handgun with a comp. Considering they cost all of tens of dollars, I might grab one for the Turnbull that can be swapped off if it looks awful.

Thanks everyone, for letting me know I'm not missing something stupid.

Do it, Do it, DO IT!

Oh, you didn't want MISS something stupid, not DO something stupid. My bad.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

I haven't finished it yet, but HOO BOY do I have some fancy shotgun modifications to show y'all. Courtesy of Super Secret Santa Shima.

Including a tanker brake. Break? Brak?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I want to throw a comp on my 1911 for shits and giggles, but also to see what that does for the recoil from .45 Super.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness
Journey Before Destination

Android Apocalypse posted:

You're welcome to try my Glock out ifwhen we get the PNW shoot organized.
Doesn't WA still have stupid rear end gun laws to contend with? Do the PNW shoot in ID and have USA-level fun.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Comps on handguns are cool.

I love that slide stop. I wish it was a factory part, since that's all I'm allowed to put on my work gun.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The Glock extended slide stop is still a good improvement. I just like the Kagwerks one as my grip had me hitting the slide stop a little too easily. Funny enough, until I switched it out I got used to hitting the slide stop with my support hand as it came up from loading a fresh mag and into my grip. With the Kagwerks slide stop I need to hit it with my shooting hand's thumb instead.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

The Glock extended slide stop is still a good improvement. I just like the Kagwerks one as my grip had me hitting the slide stop a little too easily. Funny enough, until I switched it out I got used to hitting the slide stop with my support hand as it came up from loading a fresh mag and into my grip. With the Kagwerks slide stop I need to hit it with my shooting hand's thumb instead.

I tried the factory extended stop on my Gen5 19 and I was locking it open during live fire 25/8. I switched back.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Double post because drat.

Which one of you jerks is "ICP_83" on eBay? No matter, I'm not fulfilling your requests for weird photos of me posing with the items I'm selling.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I've seen people rig their slide release upside down for the same effect.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Locktite question, I want to remove the front post from my shotgun and replace it with a bead, what are some ways to loosen the locktite? No idea if its red or blue.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

If it's blue, you need a slathering of Elbow Grease. If it's red, I think heat is recommended.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Gimme Gimme Swedish Fish...

Fallen Rib

tarlibone posted:

If it's blue, you need a slathering of Elbow Grease. If it's red, I think heat is recommended.

Heat is basically required on red, and will help with blue. When reinstalling, clean the threads with alcohol and don't use a fuckton of Loctite. I can't count how many times I've had to chip cured Loctite off of poo poo because someone dipped the entire screw into it before installing.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

sharkytm posted:

Heat is basically required on red, and will help with blue. When reinstalling, clean the threads with alcohol and don't use a fuckton of Loctite. I can't count how many times I've had to chip cured Loctite off of poo poo because someone dipped the entire screw into it before installing.

Whats the recommended heat source? Torch? Hair Dryer? Lava?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Soldering iron held to the screw if possible. Learning that trick was a gamechanger for dealing with loctite. Highly recommend.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Trillhouse posted:

Soldering iron held to the screw if possible. Learning that trick was a gamechanger for dealing with loctite. Highly recommend.

Taking note. Thanks for this tip.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Trillhouse posted:

Awesome, thank you

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Gimme Gimme Swedish Fish...

Fallen Rib

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Hair dryer won't get hot enough. I use a heat gun with a very small nozzle, or as Trillhouse said, a soldering iron that you don't care about works great, as it can just heat up the screw. Beware, however, that heating just the screw can increase the chance of the screw getting stuck, as it expands when heated. Sometimes it's better to do the exact opposite: heat the surrounding material and leave the fastener alone. TBH, red Loctite isn't really meant for small fasteners anyhow: https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/insights/all-insights/blog/how-to-remove-red-threadlocker.html, but it certainly works.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

Am I missing something here? These appear to be identical products.

[edit] size, dithering, fuckall
https://imgur.com/a/CyBfKFQ

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Stupid questions:

I've heard that recoil can kill a scope, so don't use a "rimfire scope" on a centre fire rifle.

A: What is it that damages the scope?

B: Is it ok to use a "centrefire scope" on a rim fire gun?

I'm considering getting a better scope for my Savage axis (6.5mm creedmoor) and putting the scope that I have on it (vortex Crossfire ii) on my Savage .22.

Bad idea? Mediocre idea? Perfectly adequate idea?

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Stupid questions:

I've heard that recoil can kill a scope, so don't use a "rimfire scope" on a centre fire rifle.

I'm considering getting a better scope for my Savage axis (6.5mm creedmoor) and putting the scope that I have on it (vortex Crossfire ii) on my Savage .22.

Generally rimfire scopes tend to be cheaper. This usually means the internals (crosshairs, adjustment mechanism) are also of lower quality. .22 has about zero recoil, so they don’t need to be made tougher. Putting one of those scopes on something with more recoil can damage the adjustment mechanism or even break the crosshairs. This causes things like not holding a zero, or not returning to zero after you dial for elevation/windage.

Putting a center fire scope on a rimfire should not be an issue. The recoil impulse is the same, just less. The issue is when you put a center fire/rimfire scope on certain types of air rifles. They have a recoil impulse that is kind of opposite, so they tend to wreck a scope because it wasn’t meant to take the recoil in that direction. Also powerful calibers like .50bmg and the like. Anything over like 30-40lb/ft recoil energy is generally going to want a scope that says heavy recoil rated.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I had a scope where the reticle fell out of wherever it's supposed to be. It was the cheapo that came with my used 10/22, so no big loss or anything, and it's not like it was expensive to begin with. But, even without banging it around, it still got messed up. I can only imagine what heavy recoil would've done.

Hell, I've heard that spring-piston air rifles can tear up center fire scopes.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

pipebomb posted:

The .22 caliber version might not have a "bore" wide enough for 9mm. In that case I'm not sure why the weight would still be the same, but assuming your putting it on a 9mm gun, I'd go with the 9mm version just to be safe.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

pipebomb posted:

I like how you highlighted everything except the big red warning text explaining the difference.

And with the perfect name for it.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 24, 2021

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

pipebomb posted:

One has a hole for .22 caliber bullets, one for 9mm bullets to pass through

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Stupid questions:

So a scope has numerous internal parts. A .22 scope is on average a product of the application and service environment: non-military, low recoil, fairly close ranges, and largely for an inexpensive rifle. The market really isn't going to bear a $1,000 scope on a Ruger 10/22.

What would go into a $1,000 scope vs a $75 one for a .22? The materials, precision, tolerances and clearances(NOT the same thing), QA and QC(also not the same thing), features.

Example for recoil: The various parts in a .22 scope do not need precision clearances due to cost and application requirements. Under the recoil of a heavy rifle, these clearances could result in shock allowing the scope to beat itself apart. Couple that with a general lack of robustness by design in the internal elements is why they would fail under the recoil of a heavier recoiling rifle.

Older video but showing some components what I assume is a fairly nice centerfire rifle scope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npL1sInLdxM

Your average shooting is not going to pay for that kind of design or precision for a .22

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

I earned that. Let me try again: I have the thread protector for my MKIV. It is identical in ‘inner bore’ to the TK 9mm I have. So I guess my question is what’s the danger of putting the 9mm on the 22 if they’re the same? I ignored the red bold text because it contradicted the numbers, in my little brain.

Is the issue that the 22 will rattle around between the barrel and the end of the compensator? As seen below, the entire 22 will pass through the 9mm TK, and the entire 9mm will pass through the 22s thread protector.

All of that said, I suffered a head injury recently, so…

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Thread protectors are not caliber specific if that is what you're asking. They are thread specific.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

It does appear that the ‘exit’ for the 22lr is smaller. I shan’t risk it, I guess. Thanks for the time, folks.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

pipebomb posted:

It does appear that the ‘exit’ for the 22lr is smaller. I shan’t risk it, I guess. Thanks for the time, folks.

Since it's a MK IV you're asking about, install the muzzle device, do a field strip, and look through the chamber down the barrel.
A 9mm opening on the muzzle device should have no overlap with the barrel (and consequently path of the bullet) unless it's wildly non-concentric.
Once you're past the crown, the bullet can go through bigger holes than it's supposed to, just not smaller ones.
A 9mm muzzle device should be fine on a .22LR (but not vice versa) as long as it's installed properly.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

I didn't see a cowboy action shooting thread, but I was looking at the wikipedia article on it last night and saw this that made me giggle:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

tarlibone posted:

Hell, I've heard that spring-piston air rifles can tear up center fire scopes.
Thats just because they apply force in the opposite direction of a rifle scope, so you generally need one built to have the impulse coming the other way.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Any good tips on how to remove/replace/change the caliber markings on a receiver? I'm down with strike-through, if that's an option. I guess I'm worried about loving up the hardcoat or finish or whatever.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Mambo No. 5 posted:

Any good tips on how to remove/replace/change the caliber markings on a receiver? I'm down with strike-through, if that's an option. I guess I'm worried about loving up the hardcoat or finish or whatever.

Why do you want to do that?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

What gun? Why? Do you plan on selling it?
I have a lot of questions.

If you are changing calibers, the industry standard is to follow the barrel markings, not the reciever.

E- Funsmiths are taught to read the barrel, and use that as a starting point. Before the days of AR lowers, people converted military surplus actions to any and every caliber you could imagine. I'm a little confused to the desired end goal.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 30, 2021

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

KS-47 lowers are stamped 7.62x39 and mine isn't. The barrels are marked on my uppers, and I don't want to remove those. I think it'd be cool to have the lower marked "Multi" or something.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm. An old school grunt with head injuries, and I'm not making sense of this in my head.
What gun do you want marked?

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm. An old school grunt with head injuries, and I'm not making sense of this in my head.
What gun do you want marked?

The KS-47 is a proprietary AR pattern lower designed for use with 7.62x39. Originally marked with the caliber. Mambo would prefer it said 'Multi" because the uppers themselves have caliber markings.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Dead Birds Society

kupachek posted:

The KS-47 is a proprietary AR pattern lower designed for use with 7.62x39. Originally marked with the caliber. Mambo would prefer it said 'Multi" because the uppers themselves have caliber markings.

This. I'm bad at language sometimes.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Mambo No. 5 posted:

KS-47 lowers are stamped 7.62x39 and mine isn't. The barrels are marked on my uppers, and I don't want to remove those. I think it'd be cool to have the lower marked "Multi" or something.

Just engrave etc. etc. etc. after the 7.62x39

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Thanks.
You probably explained it fine, I just couldn't parse it.

The only way to do it would be either strike it out, or mill it off, which would expose bare aluminium. You could touch it up with home poo poo, but to do it "correctly" you'd need to refinish the whole thing