Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Anyone recognize that marking? A friend of mine asked me about a gun his grandfather left him, it's a bolt action, barrel is marked 300S which I assume is 300 Savage, and we're trying to figure out what it is. No other obvious markings that would give clues. Unfortunately he doesn't have the rifle with him right now to take bigger/better pics and I wanna help him with something at all to go on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

That's the mark of Japan's Nagoya arsenal. From the emblem and the few other visible details, I'd say your friend has a sporterized Arisaka Type 99.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Somebody Awful posted:

That's the mark of Japan's Nagoya arsenal. From the emblem and the few other visible details, I'd say your friend has a sporterized Arisaka Type 99.

Thanks!

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Anyone have a 20moa scope mount recommendation that isn't AR height and doesn't cost spuhr?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Atticus_1354 posted:

Anyone have a 20moa scope mount recommendation that isn't AR height and doesn't cost spuhr?

Will getting whatever 20moa scope base fits your particular rifle, and put regular rings on top of it not work for some reason? Seems to me that most boltguns go that route over a 1 piece angled low mount.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Will getting whatever 20moa scope base fits your particular rifle, and put regular rings on top of it not work for some reason? Seems to me that most boltguns go that route over a 1 piece angled low mount.

Yes. Because it's a summit action with machined in base. ZROdelta used to make exactly what I want but apparently isn't doing that anymore which sucks because I like their mounts. Also chunky one piece mounts look cool and tactical.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

How about this?

https://www.primaryarms.com/american-defense-recon-s-low-scope-mount-30mm-20moa-ad-recon-sl-20moa-30

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Perfect. Didn't know ADM made low mounts.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

Anyone know where I can find something like this that isn’t exorbitantly priced? I wish I had a machine shop and/or the knowledge to make poo poo like this. I hate seeing $5 worth of material used to gouge people.
https://amzn.to/3tgGNMa

Only registered members can see post attachments!

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

pipebomb posted:

Anyone know where I can find something like this that isn’t exorbitantly priced? I wish I had a machine shop and/or the knowledge to make poo poo like this. I hate seeing $5 worth of material used to gouge people.
https://amzn.to/3tgGNMa

A cursory search suggests they may be the only ones manufacturing something like that, which isn't terribly surprising considering the MK IV 22/45 Tactical has an under-barrel rail unlike the Lite.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

I've been mulling over taking the top rail off of mine, chopping to appropriate length, and drilling and tapping the bottom of the shroud for it.

But first I need a drill press, and a tap set, and another mount for a red dot.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You could ghetto rig one with some scope rings.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Searching for "clamp on picatinny rail" finds a bunch of stuff meant for clamping onto 1" diameter scopes and shotgun mag tubes. Might work with shims.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01049A18M

Edit: nm there's no way that would fit between the top rail and the front sight

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 4, 2021

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

Meh. Thanks anyway y’all. Wasn’t a necessity…just an idea.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

We have anyone who knows science poo poo about barrel wear?

I grabbed a cheap USB bore scope a little bit back (I think it was ~$30 or so off Amazon) and I've been having a blast running it through all my guns. Seeing poo poo like AR gas port erosion from the inside is neat.

Anyways, I've noticed a kind of odd crinkly kind of wear/fatigue/whatever near the chamber on some of the guns. It's super prominent on my m91/30 sniper, but it's also present on my SIG 551a1.

Here's an example off the sig:

Sorry for the photo quality. A) cheap, probably drop-shipped from alibaba bore scope. B) I oiled the bore before snapping pics which was dumb, take bore pics on a dry bore C) I'm still figuring out the adjustment on the on-board lighting. Still, if you look at the edge of the lands there you can see some lines that run perpendicular to the rifling. It's a kind of crackly texture that reminds me of what mud in creeks looks like when it dries. You know the stereotypical pic of droughts where the ground is all cracked looking? That kind of pattern. On the mosin sniper it looks like that, this is a milder example.

On all the rifles I've found it on it's right near the chamber so my guess right now is some kind of flame cutting or abrasion from unburned powder, but that's the vaguest of totally uneducated guesses from someone who knows nothing about any of this.

Let me emphasize that I'm not concerned about any of this from a performance, "Is my gun broken" angle. Bore looks fine if you stare down it, shiny and crips. Gun shoots great. This is just me playing with a new toy and wondering about what I'm seeing. Barrel's got something like 8k rounds on it at this point, although I'd need to check my logs to get a more accurate estimate.

While I'm uploading pics of borescope poo poo, here's a few random pits I found near-ish the muzzle. Googling around they're probably inclusions in the metal that got exposed by wear. Google this poo poo and you'll find a lot of very freaked out owners of very expensive rifles that shoot better than they ever will freaked out the pit they didn't know about yesterday is what's making them group poorly.

Gas port shot. You can see a bit of erosion on the edge there. Interestingly all my piston-driven guns show mild erosion like that, while my ARs have some pretty gnarly looking erosion with equal or lesser round counts. Something something gas pressure through the port something?

Bonus pic of the moonscape that is a bright, shiny, loving exceptional looking to the naked eye 100 year old Mauser barrel.

edit: oh and that last pic is more representative of what that camera can do when I don't blast the light and don't oil the barrel right before I throw the borescope in.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Now that i think about it, I need to make a thread about that thing.

It was such a dumb impulse buy but goddamn it has opened up a whole new level of fiddling with my guns. In sheer entertainment hours it's up there.

Ever wanted to see just how dirty the star chamber on your AR is? Think you got it clean by attacking it with a superfund site's worth of chemicals and an entire t-shirt's worth of ripped up rags and that dumb little special brush for cleaning it, specifically?

I have such sights to show you.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

I got one of those borescope things too so naturally I put it up my nose and found out I have large nasal polyps which might explains my recent trouble sleeping.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

One of those borescopes helped me get a better sense of the pitting in my Snider Enfield's barrel and chamber.

It also helped encourage me return to a dentist for the first time in almost 20 years.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Big deal, I did a cystoscopy with mine.

It wasn't fun.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Anyone got a link handy to the cheap and good borescope?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Atticus_1354 posted:

Anyone got a link handy to the cheap and good borescope?

I'm going to PM you the link to the one I got, and anyone else that wants it I'll send them. Just hit me up, I'll send it along.

But I'm not linking them.

The only reason I'm doing this is because the fuckers included a little card in my scope that said if I gave them a positive review on amazon and emailed them they'd send me $30, which is almost as much as I paid for the scope. I loving hate that poo poo.

They straight hosed up. I'm happy with their crap as a ~35-ish entry into borescope poo poo. Minus that card I'd be linking you all this and they'd have some idiot on the internet giving them free advertising. For whatever my take is worth on a

But gently caress that. I've got just enough shards of self respect left to not pimp recommendations for less than the cost of a new game on Steam.

I will say that if you search ".2in HD borescope" on amazon it's among the first few results.

edit: also read all the descriptions. Lots of poo poo you search under .2in/5mm is 8mm borescopes which are easier to get cheap but, you know, not less than 5.56 mm

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 5, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

It wasn't fun.

Welcome to my “multiple times a day” world.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

It wasn't fun.

doesn't sound fun, tbh

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Memento posted:

doesn't sound fun, tbh

This is basically the subtitle to all of Log's medical posting for the last two years.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is basically the subtitle to all of Log's medical posting for the last two years.

it was a joke

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

so was that

We're in inception territory with self-referential jokes.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Cyrano4747 posted:

so was that

We're in inception territory with self-referential jokes.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

So uhh, I'm very firearms adjacent, (20 years of using them for the job on multiple continents, own 15 of them, most super esoteric, but many quite fun) but I don't know how to deal with this. I was cleaning out my garage space today and found a box marked like Wolf Steel .223. I was like "score! forgot about some ammo I shouldn't have stored in the shared 5-slot garage!". Nevermind that I would not have stored it there, but when I opened the box, it was 25 rounds of .50BMG in it. Not only .50, it's apparently by tip-markings (red and silver) API, and all (by case markings) from the late 1940's through the mid 1960's. I want this to go away, but I'm not gonna be that weirdo that throws it inside 5 boxes in a dumpster and then gets a manslaughter charge when rando kid goes dumpster diving and uses one as a hammer. I think someone dumped this on me and I don't know how to proceed.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

spookykid posted:

So uhh, I'm very firearms adjacent, (20 years of using them for the job on multiple continents, own 15 of them, most super esoteric, but many quite fun) but I don't know how to deal with this. I was cleaning out my garage space today and found a box marked like Wolf Steel .223. I was like "score! forgot about some ammo I shouldn't have stored in the shared 5-slot garage!". Nevermind that I would not have stored it there, but when I opened the box, it was 25 rounds of .50BMG in it. Not only .50, it's apparently by tip-markings (red and silver) API, and all (by case markings) from the late 1940's through the mid 1960's. I want this to go away, but I'm not gonna be that weirdo that throws it inside 5 boxes in a dumpster and then gets a manslaughter charge when rando kid goes dumpster diving and uses one as a hammer. I think someone dumped this on me and I don't know how to proceed.

Sell them to a cartridge collector? There will be guys interested in that regard.
or pull the projectiles, dump the powder, detonate the primer, and recap them and sell them as display items?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Oh and they're tracers as well as being incendiary . And I'm in Alaska so I can't just send them out of here because of they'd have to go over borders on on aircraft and whatnot. I might try selling them I guess.

I bet that powder in the cases is as fine as table salt, and jesus if someone tried to fire it... bad time.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 7, 2021

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

spookykid posted:

Oh and they're tracers as well as being incendiary . And I'm in Alaska so I can't just send them out of here because of they'd have to go over borders on on aircraft and whatnot. I might try selling them I guess.

I bet that powder in the cases is as fine as table salt, and jesus if someone tried to fire it... bad time.

If you do want to sell them, pop onto a community like this;
https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/
to find a buyer. I remember there used to be some knowledgeable folks in Alaska.
You can sell them by other means, but going straight to the collectors means it gives them a chance to obtain them for reference and study (they pull them, weight powder charges, chart differences, etc) rather than someone who is just gonna shoot it and have a "one and done" experience.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Kentucky Ballistics just did a video on what shooting suspect .50BMG is like, and Forgotten Weapons did a commentary video.

My 50 Cal Exploded

Earth-Shattering ka-Boom! How (and Why) Guns Explode

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah. No poo poo sherlock.

Firing suspected mishandled .50BMG is probably likely to gently caress your day up, and possibly not for the reasons Ian went into in the video. You take big ol' flakes from the original intention, in that big ol' case, and they break into flakes half the size, your round is likely to have near triple the impulse detonation that the big flakes would have.

This is why I haven't touched them in regards to anything but moving them out from under a wheel and tire I had and then into a padded box in a van.

E: look, I'm not trying to be mean I'm just an experienced gun-owner trying to see if there is like an 811 for 25+ rounds of API appearing in my garage bay. I don't need this busch-league explanations of poo poo that happened a week ago.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 7, 2021

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

spookykid posted:

Firing suspected mishandled .50BMG is probably likely to gently caress your day up, and possibly not for the reasons Ian went into in the video. You take big ol' flakes from the original intention, in that big ol' case, and they break into flakes half the size, your round is likely to have near triple the impulse detonation that the big flakes would have.

This is why I haven't touched them in regards to anything but moving them out from under a wheel and tire I had and then into a padded box in a van.

E: look, I'm not trying to be mean I'm just an experienced gun-owner trying to see if there is like an 811 for 25+ rounds of API appearing in my garage bay. I don't need this busch-league explanations of poo poo that happened a week ago.

Just call the police non-emerg line and let them come pick them up then, they usually chuck old ammunition into a furnace to destroy it.
Then it ceases to be your problem.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

kupachek posted:

Just call the police non-emerg line and let them come pick them up then, they usually chuck old ammunition into a furnace to destroy it.

Fair enough I guess, I was just trying to be minimal impact on my... well... local departments, (gently caress them. mostly the police that would probably charge me with something) and my visibility on my part.

Time to (FACETIOUSLY) just throw them in a campfire in the woods.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If you want to destroy them just grab a pair of pliers and yank the bullets. Twist them 90 degrees to the axis of the bullet an the neck will give before too long. Dump the powder on the ground and you're done.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

kupachek posted:

considering what I know about American police this seems like a really good way to get an MRAP rolling up on your lawn and some fat motherfucker shooting your dog

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Yeah, this doesn't need to be a huge deal. Pull the bullets, dump the powder into your garden, and amaze your friends popping the primers.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

Memento posted:

considering what I know about American police this seems like a really good way to get an MRAP rolling up on your lawn and some fat motherfucker shooting your dog

No big deal just package them up in a box and drop them off at the station late at night. Add a little note about a big bang being inside.

(just pull the bullets and dump the powder)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

spookykid posted:

I wasn't trying to teach you a lesson, I just posted a couple interesting relevant links.