Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Memento posted:

considering what I know about American police this seems like a really good way to get an MRAP rolling up on your lawn and some fat motherfucker shooting your dog

If the goon is a white dude, he probably doesn't have *that* much to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

spookykid posted:

Time to (FACETIOUSLY) just throw them in a campfire in the woods.

Well, the 4th of July is coming upÖ

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

spookykid posted:

E: look, I'm not trying to be mean I'm just an experienced gun-owner trying to see if there is like an 811 for 25+ rounds of API appearing in my garage bay. I don't need this busch-league explanations of poo poo that happened a week ago.

Yeah man he's an experienced gun owner which is why 25 rounds of API just appeared in his garage. He doesn't need any advice. He's asking what to do with it.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Somebody needs to take the hot rounds and fire through a normal bolt action .50 and see if the action blows apart. Some Demolition Ranch type poo poo.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You guys are pansies. The ammo I shot in Iraq was 1955 vintage API, IIRC. (It was sometime in the 50s, according to the pack slip in the can, as I remember).

Editor's Note- at no point should you ever follow any advice I give.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

You guys are pansies. The ammo I shot in Iraq was 1955 vintage API, IIRC. (It was sometime in the 50s, according to the pack slip in the can, as I remember).

Editor's Note- at no point should you ever follow any advice I give.

The military also (probably?) doesn't just throw their ammo around for nothing. One of the big problems with old ammo is the powder getting shaken around too much, basically grinding the flakes into finer powered, which increases the burn rate and pressure.

Basically a round that sat in a tin in a warehouse in Virginia or wherever for 50 years before being loaded on a boat to Iraq is going to be in better shape internally than one that bounced around from gunshow to gunshow in the back of someone's pickup for a bunch of years and was traded back and forth between a bunch of gun guys before someone finally decided to set off the $100 firecracker.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Crap... every now and then, I pick up a handloaded round and shake it to see if I can hear powder rattling around in there. (Light loads of Unique and HP38 make a slight noise.) I guess I need to stop that.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Also the expected value of a .50 round with a pressure spike is a hell of a lot lower than a 9mm with same.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

tarlibone posted:

Crap... every now and then, I pick up a handloaded round and shake it to see if I can hear powder rattling around in there. (Light loads of Unique and HP38 make a slight noise.) I guess I need to stop that.

lol nah

Someone on arfcom did a pretty detailed test about this. They vibratory tumbled loaded ammo nonstop for various times, hours, days, even multiple weeks straight and saw no difference in velocity, accuracy, and even looked at the powder under a microscope and found very very very little if any difference in grain size and structure.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Cyrano4747 posted:

The military also (probably?) doesn't just throw their ammo around for nothing.

Lol

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

Cyrano4747 posted:

The military also (probably?) doesn't just throw their ammo around for nothing.

Donít both the F-22 and F-35 have to have a full ammo load for the cannon to maintain trim to begin with? Thatís a good amount of G force and/or flight time for that ammo.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Atticus_1354 posted:

Yeah man he's an experienced gun owner which is why 25 rounds of API just appeared in his garage. He doesn't need any advice. He's asking what to do with it.

I have had this shared garage with a rotating cast of 5 other tenants for 11 years, every garage space can access every other space, but people typically leave each other's poo poo alone. I haven't owned a .50BMG since I sold my BOHICA upper in 2009, and I definitely never bought or ran anything through it outside of mid 90's surplus ball and a couple boxes of new match ammo. I keep all my firearms and ammo securely in my safe in my actual apartment. Finding rounds stashed in a cranny behind a tire in a box labeled completely differently is an anathema to how I am as a gun owner.

I don't mean to come off as hostile, I'm just a little annoyed that someone made this my problem.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 8, 2021

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

They also dropped some 1L propane cylinders and other nonsense (including a half liter or so can of MEK) behind/under the same tire stack I found while looking further. I'm starting to get worried like someone's actually trying to burn my poo poo down or kill my neighbors.

E: they're all dusty enough that I think this might have been a couple years ago. I don't remember having beef with any other person in the garage, but who loving knows.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 8, 2021

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

spookykid posted:

I don't mean to come off as hostile

you sure hosed that up

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

I still don't understand the part where the .50 BMG rounds are a problem. You have some neat M20 rounds, enjoy! If you don't want them, it's like 5 minutes work to pull the bullets.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

armorer posted:

I still don't understand the part where the .50 BMG rounds are a problem. You have some neat M20 rounds, enjoy! If you don't want them, it's like 5 minutes work to pull the bullets.

He just didn't mention the wires and malfunctioning timer he found with the .50bmg and propane canisters.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ah the popular 4th of july pyrotechnic item, the alaskan candle

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

spookykid posted:

I don't mean to come off as hostile, I'm just a little annoyed that someone made this my problem.

The reality is it's not much of a problem. You found them, and if at this point you still haven't done anything about it yet it obviously wasn't a rush, and it's all on you. It would be trivial to pull and render them inert to dispose of whenever.
If you only wanted to grumble about being stuck with them didn't want solutions, that's fine, but you didn't have to be rude to Saukkis over it.

A few years back I discovered some factory 308 I had kicking around loose in sleeves was no good, so I skipped using the proper collet to pull them and just used pliers, and poured the powder.
Within ten minutes of my discovering the pores were visible on the federal cases I had them destroyed to reduce risk of them ever being accidentally used.

While I was doing that, I managed to get a drop of some special rootbeer on one and it had a lovely result.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Atticus_1354 posted:

Let's be honest, the longer you own guns the more likely you are to find a box of ammo and think "Where the hell did this come from?"

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I don't think it was an issue with smaller cordite strands, but the larger ones used in naval artillery during the Great War definitely had huge issues with degradation and could become unstable as a result. The loss of HMS Vanguard in 1917 is believed to be the result of cordite deterioration and instability.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Let's be honest, the longer you own guns the more likely you are to find a box of ammo and think "Where the hell did this come from?"

Sure it does. When that happens I usually go "Bonus ammo!!!!" Not mouth off like an rear end in a top hat to someone being helpful when I ask what to do with it while freaking out about propane canisters.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I'm sorry everyone, I was mad and annoyed by finding something like this two days before a garage inspection that included the line "any flammable or explosive materials/fireworks/ammunition/flammable compressed gasses found stored in shared garage spaces may be grounds for immediate termination of lease/eviction".

I found a buyer for the rounds (which those were way more than my estimated count of 25, and in way worse condition, corroded primers and cases), made a hundred bucks, and got rid of the propane and MEK. I didn't want to lose my home over rounds I had no idea were in my garage space.

Thank you for all the suggestions, I appreciate it. Guy I sold them to is gonna pull all the bullets+primers, tumble the brass, and sort the bullets by possible reusability.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

spookykid posted:

I'm sorry everyone, I was mad and annoyed by finding something like this two days before a garage inspection that included the line "any flammable or explosive materials/fireworks/ammunition/flammable compressed gasses found stored in shared garage spaces may be grounds for immediate termination of lease/eviction".

I found a buyer for the rounds (which those were way more than my estimated count of 25, and in way worse condition, corroded primers and cases), made a hundred bucks, and got rid of the propane and MEK. I didn't want to lose my home over rounds I had no idea were in my garage space.

Thank you for all the suggestions, I appreciate it. Guy I sold them to is gonna pull all the bullets+primers, tumble the brass, and sort the bullets by possible reusability.

Question - What's MEK? Trying to figure that out has been driving me nuts.

Griz
May 21, 2001

methyl ethyl ketone, a fun industrial solvent for when straight acetone isn't enough.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Captain Log posted:

Question - What's MEK? Trying to figure that out has been driving me nuts.

Methyl Ethyl Ketone.
It's a highly reactive nasty solvent that's also considered a pre-cursor to illicit drug production, so unless you've got a good reason to be using it, you really don't want to have it around.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

You can usually buy it at the hardware store in the paint section. You may also be familiar with it as the smell of dry erase markers.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

So MEK puts the "Meth" in Methyl?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Methyl-Ethyl-Ketone, also known as Butanone, also known as the solvent that will make your ears ring if you sniff it trying to identify it. Also used in the production of Cocaine and the refining process of Meth.

E: It's up there with Aircraft Remover for "organic solvents not to be hosed with" when you want to strip stuff down to the metal.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 9, 2021

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Never mind

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

I have the chance to get ruger LCRís in 9 mm, 357 and 22 for 500 each. Do I take the shot?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

500 is a fair price, a little on the high side but I donít know what the market is like right now. I bought one for 450 about five years ago, which was a standard price at the time.

As for the caliber, that depends on what you want it for. 357 vs 9mm is a tough call imo.

Edit: If youíre asking about the gun in general, itís an excellent revolver. The trigger is heavy but smooth and crisp, itís my favorite among the DA triggers Iíve had the opportunity to use.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

Anonymous Robot posted:

500 is a fair price, a little on the high side but I donít know what the market is like right now. I bought one for 450 about five years ago, which was a standard price at the time.

As for the caliber, that depends on what you want it for. 357 vs 9mm is a tough call imo.

Edit: If youíre asking about the gun in general, itís an excellent revolver. The trigger is heavy but smooth and crisp, itís my favorite among the DA triggers Iíve had the opportunity to use.

357 feels like the best of the bunch for the versatilty in the ammo selection.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

MEK is fun poo poo to play with as a kid.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

pipebomb posted:

I have the chance to get ruger LCRís in 9 mm, 357 and 22 for 500 each. Do I take the shot?

Anonymous Robot posted:

9mm
.22LR

Pre-panic prices look like they range from about $425-$500, depending on caliber.
The 9mm listing from that aggregator that's $600 is actually OOS, and the $707 .357 is the only one in stock anywhere they're tracking.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

I would have never gotten away with this poo poo when I was married. I honest to god need a caretaker.

Grabbed a 10/22 takedown instead of the 357 and saved a few hundred.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

pipebomb posted:

I would have never gotten away with this poo poo when I was married. I honest to god need a caretaker.

Grabbed a 10/22 takedown instead of the 357 and saved a few hundred.

Nice.

Unless the .357 was a 3" LCRx, then you chose most wisely.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

It was not. Canít wait to hit the range tomorrow. 4 new guns to shoot, with my new Hellcat rdp.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

(Non-Gun) Gadget Light Question -

I have a lot of polymer bank notes from different countries with various cool designs that are only visible with a blacklight. Can someone recommend a decent handheld (or desk) blacklight that could illuminate a bill's hidden designs?

I ask because Amazon if loving chock full of different options and I don't want to buy garbage.

Example - https://www.ebay.com/itm/384121294776

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Captain Log posted:

(Non-Gun) Gadget Light Question -

I have a lot of polymer bank notes from different countries with various cool designs that are only visible with a blacklight. Can someone recommend a decent handheld (or desk) blacklight that could illuminate a bill's hidden designs?

I ask because Amazon if loving chock full of different options and I don't want to buy garbage.

Example - https://www.ebay.com/itm/384121294776

My wife has a nice one for uranium glass hunting. I can ask which one she got. For cheap, quick checks, I bought a bag of tiny keychain lights. They kinda suck for anything but "does this react?" and using it for secret messages with my invisible ink.

Because I'm an adult who spent 14$ on invisible ink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

bulletsponge13 posted:

My wife has a nice one for uranium glass hunting. I can ask which one she got. For cheap, quick checks, I bought a bag of tiny keychain lights. They kinda suck for anything but "does this react?" and using it for secret messages with my invisible ink.

Because I'm an adult who spent 14$ on invisible ink.

I'm less interested in brand and more in how well a hand held works. Ideally, I'd like decent illumination without going into a dark closet. If a keychain sized one doesn't work, I'll cross those off my list.

Good God, there are a million on Amazon.