Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1549 »
omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

the ohmebaglod flag posted:

Lurking here has pretty much told me the ideal first handgun is a Glock 17 or 19. .22lr so you can practice proper marksmanship on the cheap. Sounds reasonable. I wouldn't even mind a used one, as they have an incredible reputation.

Fixed.

Glock 19 for a second pistol is an excellent choice assuming you can make the Roswell-inspired grip angle work for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

Gtab posted:

if you buy a Sigma I hope you plan to shoot yourself with it afterward

Thanks, way to be a douchebag.

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

I've only met one person who owned a Sigma and he was either a dumbass or a douchebag. Don't be that guy.

Also don't be the guy who takes everything everyone says here literally. You'll fit in better.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

if you buy a Sigma I literally hope you plan to literally shoot yourself with it metaphorically

Alain Perdrix
Dec 19, 2007

Howdy!

If you buy a Sigma, it is you who will be the douchebag. They're ugly, and they're poo poo. If you don't believe Gtab, see what its trigger feels like (It feels like poo poo).

PS My cousin bought one, and he's as solid an endorsement for eugenics as you're ever going to find.

PPS Don't buy a Sigma.

e: as and for are two different words and, as such, have two different meanings

Alain Perdrix fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 12, 2010

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Your post-postscript reminded me that I want a PPS for carry.

Need a safety so Glock is out (wife issues, don't ask...)
Want something way slimmer than most Sigs I've fingered since it's hot as gently caress here.
Would like to stay in 9mm.

The PPS seems like a winner on paper, but I can't find anywhere here (Tampa) to rent one. What's the word, TFR?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

I was in PA visiting family, and went to the indoor range there. One of the range guys had a Sigma he had picked up for really, really cheap. It was also a conversation piece, because he kept talking about how terrible the trigger was, and kept offering to let people shoot it.

I shot it. It really was that god awful. In return, I let him shoot my P226 Equinox, which I think has an amazing trigger for factory work. The look on his face was priceless. I think he's going to hit up the Sig guys for a deal later this summer when they're in town to offer classes.

Don't buy a Sigma, unless you're doing it for a conversation piece that you personally never plan on firing. It had to have at least a 13 pound trigger, perhaps more.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Alarbus posted:

It was also a conversation piece, because he kept talking about how terrible the trigger was, and kept offering to let people shoot it.

I shot it.
this is better than the actual story

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Count Sacula posted:

The PPS seems like a winner on paper, but I can't find anywhere here (Tampa) to rent one. What's the word, TFR?
I'm really looking forward to S&W figuring out what the gently caress is wrong with my PPS so they can get it back to me. I bought it two months ago and it had a serious and very apparent/reproducible problem (sear not releasing striker) the first day. I called, waited for a return shipping label, sent it back, and got it back in just over a week. Same goddamn problem, so repeat again. Same goddamn problem again, so repeat again, except this time they've had it for 4.5 weeks.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

if you buy a Sigma I literally hope you plan to literally shoot yourself with it metaphorically

My cyborg rear end can't parse that. You win.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Oh, man, the proverbial poo poo has hit the fan!

Confucious posted:

A poo poo in the fan is worth two in the bush.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Count Sacula posted:

Your post-postscript reminded me that I want a PPS for carry.

Need a safety so Glock is out (wife issues, don't ask...)
Want something way slimmer than most Sigs I've fingered since it's hot as gently caress here.
Would like to stay in 9mm.

I really liked the PPS(s?) I shot. Very small, very manageable.

gently caress SIGMAS. The TFR hive-mind is, at least in my experience, fairly wise. Heed its advice, young newbie, and be much happier in the end. I would rather have a used Glock than five new Sigmas, no joke.

Bylzebub posted:

BLO gun stock refinishing questions:

Sounds like you did everything right, really. I've noticed some tackiness when I've done my stocks in the past, but that will go away. Lean them up so they're maximally exposed, and blow a fan gently over them for like three days. The place you do this should be room-temperature and as dry (low humidity) as possible. Move the air around it and the tackiness will go away, promise.

You shouldn't need Feed-n-Wax after using all that BLO, but if you use it, let me know what you think.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I see you've met gtab. He trolls, but he trolls with throbbing, itchy love most of the time.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

no problem!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Bylzebub posted:

BLO gun stock refinishing questions:

I've applied BLO to all sorts of random poo poo around the house to use up the oil left in the rag after rubbing it into a stock and never noticed any tackiness during any part of the process. Ensure that you have boiled linseed oil, and not "boiled linseed oil finish". Other than that, I dunno.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Wipe off excess with a lint-free cloth (auto store shammies work great) 20 minutes after application even if you think you don't need to.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

almost all of the time tacky finishes are caused by people not waiting long enough between coats. The amount of time it takes BLO to polymerize is highly dependent on temperature and humidity. 24 hours is a good guideline, but it can take more time depending on lots of stuff.

Also, if you don't wipe off the excess it can take literally months or years.

The last few coats need to be done very thin as well.

Really, most of hte problems people have with BLO come from trying to hurry it. Refinishing a stock isn't a project for one day. Most of mine take a few days at a minimum, and sometimes a few weeks.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Cyrano4747 posted:

almost all of the time tacky finishes are caused by people not waiting long enough between coats. The amount of time it takes BLO to polymerize is highly dependent on temperature and humidity. 24 hours is a good guideline, but it can take more time depending on lots of stuff.

Also, if you don't wipe off the excess it can take literally months or years.

The last few coats need to be done very thin as well.

Really, most of hte problems people have with BLO come from trying to hurry it. Refinishing a stock isn't a project for one day. Most of mine take a few days at a minimum, and sometimes a few weeks.

Given the mechanism of the polymerization reaction, it may be worth exposing it to UV from sunlight for a bit. This will also warm up the stock and make it react faster.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Count Sacula posted:

I love my PPS, and it's sexy as hell, fun to shoot, and has never, ever given me any trouble, even after dropping it in a sandy creek bed during a hot pursuit (hog hunting).

The only real complaints are 1. It's so small, the recoil is rough on soft, girly hands (like mine) and 2. It has a pretty small mag. 6, 7 or 8 round $50 mags.

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

Seattle/tacoma/Olympia area goons: Do you know of any reliable gunsmiths that do bluing? Reliable as in does quality work, and gives me all my parts back. Preferably in Tacoma/Oly, but further north is OK.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

WASR, Laminated stock w/2 30-rounders for $399. Do it or not?? I need a bump firing nun shooter.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

NosmoKing posted:

WASR, Laminated stock w/2 30-rounders for $399. Do it or not?? I need a bump firing nun shooter.

If that's "out the door" definitely. They can be had a little cheaper than that, but by the time you factor in shipping and transfer fees...

I got one a few weeks ago and it feels good knowing that no matter how much I shoot it, I will never have to clean it.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

NosmoKing posted:

That's alright but it's not gotta-do-it-now, never-gonna-see-that-price-again good.

r3plica
Feb 29, 2008

Dogbrisket posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought. I can't figure out why my local Sheriff's department has something so baller when there's been talk of having to lay off 100+ deputies.

Sup fellow Sac county goon

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Two questions.
1) Could i turn FMJ into a hollow point bullet by drilling out the actual bullet?

2) Could i put a G19 barrel into a G26 for the fun and goodies that come with having the barrel stick out? (suppressor and so on)

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

SouthsideSaint posted:

1) Could i turn FMJ into a hollow point bullet by drilling out the actual bullet?
It will literally have a hollow point, but it won't expand like a real hollowpoint.

Frankie
Feb 22, 2006

SouthsideSaint posted:

Two questions.

2) Could i put a G19 barrel into a G26 for the fun and goodies that come with having the barrel stick out? (suppressor and so on)

1. The point will be hollow, but the bullet will not expand like an actual hollow point. The lead in FMJ bullets is usually harder.

2. Dunno

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Without being veeeery careful about the drilling I'd also be figuring on some badly balanced rounds which could lead to sme fun instability.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

SouthsideSaint posted:

Well it would still need to be threaded and at that point it's probably easier to just buy a threaded barrel.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

r3plica posted:

Sup fellow Sac county goon

I hear Folsom PD is laying off a bunch of people too

Keeping shells loaded in your shotgun will slowly smash them a little bit over time right? Right now I have 4x 2 3/4" 00buck shells loaded in my mossberg590 but that's only about half filled. The spring pressure shouldn't smash them should it? If it does, are they still perfectly safe to fire? I usually end up cycling them out and shooting them after a month but was wondering if it would be a bad idea to let them sit longer.

Also drilling the tip of the bullet out sounds like an accident waiting to happen

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

If you drilled a bullet before it was loaded, then what's the worst thing that could happen? I guess destabilization is a legitimate concern but that should only affect accuracy, not make them more dangerous.

I have never heard of tube-mag shotguns smashing shells over time. Box mag shotguns like the Saiga have a tendency to deform them slightly and mess up the feeding, but that's because the spring pressure is pushing in a dimension in which the hulls aren't very strong. I can't imagine that pushing on the hulls end-to-end would deform them much at all.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Pitch posted:

It will literally have a hollow point, but it won't expand like a real hollowpoint.

We used to have a thread that tried to address this.

Another German question!

Would "Brot-Hintern" or "Brot-Arsch" be a better term for the ends of a loaf of bread?

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 13, 2010

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

infrared35 posted:

We used to have a thread that tried to address this.

Another German question!

Would "Brot-Hintern" or "Brot-Arsch" be a better term for the ends of a loaf of bread?

That particular word varies a LOT by region. I know in a lot of the Rhineland they call it the Knšppchen, and I know that in Northern Germany you hear Knust a lot, although I've also heard Kanten a lot in and around Berlin. I'm damned well CERTAIN that the Bavarians have to have their own word for it - Bayerisch has its own little word for damned near everything food-related. I know that they have yet another word for it in Baden, but I forget that one now. My guess is the Austrians/Swiss/Etc have yet more iterations.

Really, the "proper" high german term is probably "Endteil" or "Endstuck," but I don't think I've ever heard those actually used.

ShaiHulud
Dec 31, 2007

infrared35 posted:

Hick family members use Scherzl - the heel of a bread loaf or the ends of a meat roast.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ShaiHulud posted:

Hick family members use Scherzl - the heel of a bread loaf or the ends of a meat roast.

Where are they from, what part of the country?

ShaiHulud
Dec 31, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Where are they from, what part of the country?

The Dirrrty South, Swabia.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ShaiHulud posted:

The Dirrrty South, Swabia.

Hah. The Swiss/Swabian frontier is where my dad's half of the family comes from originally.

After leaving they moved to Kentucky, and continued being dirty hillbillies.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Slippery Tilde

I was gonna say, Swabia sounds like an STD or something.

ShaiHulud
Dec 31, 2007

spankmeister posted:

I was gonna say, Swabia sounds like an STD or something.

It may as well be. You think American hicks invented the jackalope? Nope.

Fun with taxidermy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

SouthsideSaint posted:

The ABC's of Reloading warns against such, at least with rifle rounds, saying that it can cause pressure issues.

«1549 »