Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

I have a Convoy S2+ Nichia UV365 with the UV Filter lens. Got it from Mohr Lumens with a case for about $35 shipped. Here's a pic of it against a US Passport in pretty bright indoor light, and then in dim indoor light.

The reactive fibers are super obvious with the light relatively close even in decently bright indoor lighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

armorer posted:

I have a Convoy S2+ Nichia UV365 with the UV Filter lens. Got it from Mohr Lumens with a case for about $35 shipped. Here's a pic of it against a US Passport in pretty bright indoor light, and then in dim indoor light.

The reactive fibers are super obvious with the light relatively close even in decently bright indoor lighting.

Absolutely badass!

Thanks for the recommendation, will pick one up. Or at least one that matches those specs.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Captain Log posted:

(Non-Gun) Gadget Light Question -

I have a lot of polymer bank notes from different countries with various cool designs that are only visible with a blacklight. Can someone recommend a decent handheld (or desk) blacklight that could illuminate a bill's hidden designs?

I ask because Amazon if loving chock full of different options and I don't want to buy garbage.

Example - https://www.ebay.com/itm/384121294776

I've got a UV flashlight from Anker that's rechargeable, was relatively inexpensive, and works quite well. Anker also has really good customer service if something's DOA, though I've never had an issue with any of their products.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Do you still have any contacts in the restaurant/bar business? Because every bartender and bouncer I've seen for the last few years has one on their belt to look for fake IDs. A bartender in a college town is going to be using his about as often as the cooks are using their cigarette lighters, so they'll probably have a good handle on what's good, what's overpriced, and what's garbage not worth buying no matter how cheap it is.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Do you still have any contacts in the restaurant/bar business? Because every bartender and bouncer I've seen for the last few years has one on their belt to look for fake IDs. A bartender in a college town is going to be using his about as often as the cooks are using their cigarette lighters, so they'll probably have a good handle on what's good, what's overpriced, and what's garbage not worth buying no matter how cheap it is.

Oh, I totally didn't think about that. Worth checking out.

I remembered Amazon has a return policy that I use liberally, so I ordered the highest amount of blacklight LEDs I could get for under $20. It takes six AA batteries, but in a household that only uses rechargeable that's not a biggie.

Seeing Armorer post a picture of one working was reassuring. Half the images on any Amazon listings are hasty photoshops by people who have never seen the product. Or the sky.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

I'm less interested in brand and more in how well a hand held works. Ideally, I'd like decent illumination without going into a dark closet. If a keychain sized one doesn't work, I'll cross those off my list.

Good God, there are a million on Amazon.

The one I use at work for document examination is similar to this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/GearLight-Black-Light-Flashlight-S100/dp/B07TTKQ7XS/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&keywords=uv+light&qid=1620690977&sr=8-25

I got mine at Walmart and I think it's a different brand name but the design is similar if not identical. Build quality is good, and it's been fine for examining UV security features indoors under normal light.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The opposite of a desk light, but the flashlight I keep in my watch pocket has a secondary UV mode. I don't have anything with special markings to test it on, but it can make white labels and plastics with brighteners in them glow from a pretty good distance.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07539175R/

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

You could probably rig something up with a cheap UV LED strip off amazon

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

The UV flashlight I alluded to in my last reply just showed up on SlickDeals.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm pretty sure I purchased the cheap equivalent of a prison yard spotlight. I've not seen something ask for six AAs in a long time.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Optics question:

I'm going to put my Vortex Crossfire II 3-9 40 on my .22 and get a scope with higher magnification for my Axis in 6.5mm Creedmoor.

Since I'm in the east, long shots when hunting aren't really the norm. Most hunters I've talked to say most shots are less than 100 yards.

I'm currently looking at a crossfire II in 4-12x44 scope.

As is my understanding, the 4 is the "minimum" magnification that you will see when you look through the scope with magnification turned all the way down. So, something at 40 yards looks like its only 10 yards away.

12 is the maximum magnification, so something from 120 yards away, looks like its 10 yards away (please correct my math if thats off) when the magnification is cranked all the way up.

And 44mm is the objective lense diameter. Is this correct?

I'm sure its better to be slightly over scoped than under scoped, but if I'm hunting and most of my shots are *presumably* less than 100 yards, is this too much scope?

I obviously have zero knowledge at this poo poo.

Thanks for answering my dumbass questions.

E: THis is the one I'm looking at.

https://fishingworld.ca/collections/scopes/products/vortex-crossfire-ii-4-12x44-1-bdc

AmbassadorofSodomy fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 13, 2021

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness
Journey Before Destination

If you're expecting shots at <200 yards I'd be looking at a lpvo, like a 1-6 or 1-8. But a 2-10 would be perfect if you want a little more zooms.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Optics question:

I'm going to put my Vortex Crossfire II 3-9 40 on my .22 and get a scope with higher magnification for my Axis in 6.5mm Creedmoor.

Since I'm in the east, long shots when hunting aren't really the norm. Most hunters I've talked to say most shots are less than 100 yards.

I'm currently looking at a crossfire II in 4-12x44 scope.

As is my understanding, the 4 is the "minimum" magnification that you will see when you look through the scope with magnification turned all the way down. So, something at 40 yards looks like its only 10 yards away.

12 is the maximum magnification, so something from 120 yards away, looks like its 10 yards away (please correct my math if thats off) when the magnification is cranked all the way up.

And 44mm is the objective lense diameter. Is this correct?

I'm sure its better to be slightly over scoped than under scoped, but if I'm hunting and most of my shots are *presumably* less than 100 yards, is this too much scope?

I obviously have zero knowledge at this poo poo.

Thanks for answering my dumbass questions.

E: THis is the one I'm looking at.

https://fishingworld.ca/collections/scopes/products/vortex-crossfire-ii-4-12x44-1-bdc

I would suggest interpreting magnification as something appearing larger rather than closer, because you still get some visual artifacts that exist with distance.
That being said, you've got the A-BxC format correct. A is the minimum magnification, B is the maximum magnification, and C is the objective lens diameter.

You really only have "too much scope" if your minimum magnification is high enough that your field of view is unacceptably small.
What constitutes that is going to depend on your specific use case.
4x may be magnification than you want if you're trying to quickly get on target with something running at 20 yards
You may want more than 9x if you're trying to make headshots on small, stationary animals at 100 yards.

I personally have a 3-9x40 on three of my rifles and it's more than adequate for large/medium game hunting at 100 yards, even at the lower-end of magnification.
In contrast, I have a 4-12x40 on a .22 air rifle and will typically use the higher-end of the magnification when shooting at 25 yards or more because I'm aiming at a target the size of a squirrel head instead of deer lung.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

If you are hunting mid sized game in the woods 4x bottom end magnification is going to be a lot unless you are hunting over bait. Drawing a bead on a moving animal up close with that much magnification and keeping it is a lot harder than it seems. I've moved to 2x bottom magnification for hunting and would gladly move to 1.5x if I could find glass I liked with that little magnification.

I honestly don't think I have ever taken my scope off its lowest magnification when in the woods. I can't overstate how important having the right bottom end magnification is for that kind of hunting.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe

Grimey Drawer

Finding a deer that you just spotted in your scope is a difficult task on its own, made much harder the higher your magnification is. This may apply less if you are hunting in a field, but in heavy woods your sight picture is going to be a lot of identical looking trees.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Thanks for the advice. For the immediate future, I'd probably be hunting nothing bigger than white tail deer, and I don't think I'd be trying to hit anything running with a rifle. Hell I'm not even sure I'd try that with a shotgun despite how awesome I think I am at shooting clay targets.. Sounds like the 3-9 like I already have would be sufficient for my anticipated distances.

I realize that my own skills need to be up to the challenge as well, but is this a scope that would be accurate at 200+ yard distances? I haven't suddenly decided that I want to now shoot deer from 200 yards cause I have goon approval or whatever, but I'd none the less like to be able to take longer shots with this rifle, even if its just poking holes in paper at the range.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Thanks for the advice. For the immediate future, I'd probably be hunting nothing bigger than white tail deer, and I don't think I'd be trying to hit anything running with a rifle. Hell I'm not even sure I'd try that with a shotgun despite how awesome I think I am at shooting clay targets.. Sounds like the 3-9 like I already have would be sufficient for my anticipated distances.

I realize that my own skills need to be up to the challenge as well, but is this a scope that would be accurate at 200+ yard distances? I haven't suddenly decided that I want to now shoot deer from 200 yards cause I have goon approval or whatever, but I'd none the less like to be able to take longer shots with this rifle, even if its just poking holes in paper at the range.

Unless your scope is mounted on the barrel (like some scout rifles) and its weight impacts the harmonics, your scope does not influence the accuracy of your rifle.

A scope provides magnification and (typically) an aiming reference (the reticle) that has a smaller visual angle than iron sights.
You're no more accurate with chunky irons than your are with a high magnification scope, regardless of distance, if your hold is comparable between the two.
What magnifying scopes allow you to do is get more fine visual feedback on your point of aim. (If the magnification is high enough, the motion you impart on your rifle will actually move the scope enough that the target may leave the narrow field of view.)
With higher magnification, you'll be better able to see the instability of your point of aim, but its magnitude is still a constant (unless you can provide corrective feedback) which means your accuracy goes unchanged.

Not bragging, because I'm mediocre, but on my last range trip I managed to get a few hits (and a lot of misses) on a torso sized plate at 650 yards with a 3-9x scope.
In addition to practicing more (because I've shot past 100 yards very few times), I've picked up a higher magnification (5-25x) scope for that rifle, but that's because I want to be able to see where my hit on the plate was without having to move over to the spotting scope.
For me, 5x would difficult to use inside of 50 yards for me if I were shooting unsupported.
That rifle is a range toy and the nearest analog I've got that's set up for hunting has a 3-9x on it.

If you're going to be shooting from a well supported position and your goal is minimizing the size of your groups, you may benefit from higher magnification than a 3-9x at 200+ yards.
If you're going to be shooting from a standing position, without support, you may have trouble keeping a 25 yard target in your scope's field of view at 9x, and getting on target quickly may be difficult at 3x, especially if you're not in an open area.
If you're planning on hunting from a stand or other stationary position where you're well stabilized, and the animal could be anywhere from a few yards to a 200 yards, 3-9x is probably a solid magnification range (though you'll want to know how much drop or rise you have at different ranges from wherever you zero) assuming you're not planning on long-distance shots on small game.

If you want a rough sense for what something would look like at 200 yards with different zoom levels:
  • Take a photo of something at that distance.
  • Pull it up on a computer at 100% zoom (1x magnification).
  • Move back from your monitor until it looks about the size (visual angle) it'd be to your eye from that range.
  • Zoom in. (3x magnification = 300%),
It won't capture the optical effects of the glass or anything, but it'll give you a reasonable approximation of the magnification.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Are there any hammer fired optic ready pistols on the market now?

If not, what are the preferred vendors for slide machining, and what does that usually cost?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Styles Bitchley posted:

If not, what are the preferred vendors for slide machining, and what does that usually cost?

Sig Sauer makes a version of the P226 legion with the slide pre-milled and affixed with a Romeo red dot.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Styles Bitchley posted:

CZ Shadow 2 has a optics cut version. I dont know if their P07/P09 lineup has an optic ready version but I had my P07 milled by Primary Machine and they did a great job. jagerwerks is also highly recommended for CZ slide milling.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness

What is S&W's reason for not offering an optics ready M&P? I want one and it's annoying because slide milling services are stupid expensive.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

ilkhan posted:

What is S&W's reason for not offering an optics ready M&P? I want one and it's annoying because slide milling services are stupid expensive.

Not sure if they're still around but they at least used to have the C.O.R.E. optic ready models

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

One of the M&P Shield models is packaged with a red dot. My friend has one.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Life Before Death
Strength Before Weakness

Final Blog Entry posted:

Not sure if they're still around but they at least used to have the C.O.R.E. optic ready models
Afaik those are all pro shop models.

Android Apocalypse posted:

One of the M&P Shield models is packaged with a red dot. My friend has one.
im looking for a full size so I can stick my can on the front.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

ilkhan posted:

im looking for a full size so I can stick my can on the front.

I should take pictures of my hilarious 5" model with the can on it. It makes for a long boi even with a K can.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Styles Bitchley posted:

Girsan makes optic ready 1911s.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Kramjacks posted:

Girsan makes optic ready 1911s.

Just looked those up and holyshit they look awful.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Styles Bitchley posted:

In addition to Sig and CZ, Langdon Tactical makes a Beretta 92 Elite slide with cutout. They had to do a bit of engineering work to get it nice and low. Planning on getting one for my birthday, later in the year.

https://www.langdontactical.com/92-elite-ltt-with-rdo-slide/

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

What is it called when you sell a gun off and months later it ends up back at the very same store?

Do guns have the equivalent of 'furever homes'?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Gin and Juche posted:

What is it called when you sell a gun off and months later it ends up back at the very same store?

Yes, guns have the equivalent of "furever homes."

The proper term is "Tarlibone's house."

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Gin and Juche posted:

A Taurus.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I'm pretty sure my local gun shop has had the same single shot shotgun for $150 since they opened.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

Itís been a legit year since I came in with some serious home defense questions and Iím still shaken up a bit even though the threat has been dead since July.

I just wanted to say you all made a serious difference in how that could have gone and even though I get a bit jumpy around loud noises... I seriously had someone itís an attempted murder record wanting to kill me and it would normally be so much worse.

E:I still find quick turnarounds the second I have a road thatís blocked off, I thought I was fine but I still jump at anything that my brain registers as a threat.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 15, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Itís been a legit year since I came in with some serious home defense questions and Iím still shaken up a bit even though the threat has been dead since July.

I just wanted to say you all made a serious difference in how that could have gone and even though I get a bit jumpy around loud noises... I seriously had someone itís an attempted murder record wanting to kill me and it would normally be so much worse.

E:I still find quick turnarounds the second I have a road thatís blocked off, I thought I was fine but I still jump at anything that my brain registers as a threat.

I hear you about the aftershocks of an event so severe. After I looked down a gun barrel, I literally slept in hotels with a loaded shotgun for a while. I was so loving paranoid, even though I knew what was happening, that I refused to hit light switches at night. I was afraid it would give away if I came into the room or not.

It. loving. Sucked.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Iím sorry to hear that so many people in this thread have developed hypervigilance as a result of violent encounters. I have too. Episodes of violence have punctuated my life since I was a child, and as a result thereís a part of me that is almost always on guard. Even in my own home, I pay close attention to the sounds of people moving in other rooms and take a running note of who is in my home and where they are.

Thatís an effect of trauma, and it isnít reasonable or practical, and it probably does impact my quality of life, but Iím so used to it that I donít know the difference. I try to take some solace from the fact that my hypervigilance does have some positive impact as well. I know how to fight with my hands and with firearms. I keep my head on a swivel and donít put myself into dangerous environments. I know basic stop bleed care. Iím pretty confident from encounters I have had and training Iíve undertaken that, if a violent situation should erupt in my life again, I am better conditioned to respond in a way that will increase the safety of those around me than most people. Thatís a positive outcome.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

I’m sorry to hear that so many people in this thread have developed hypervigilance as a result of violent encounters. I have too. Episodes of violence have punctuated my life since I was a child, and as a result there’s a part of me that is almost always on guard. Even in my own home, I pay close attention to the sounds of people moving in other rooms and take a running note of who is in my home and where they are.

That’s an effect of trauma, and it isn’t reasonable or practical, and it probably does impact my quality of life, but I’m so used to it that I don’t know the difference. I try to take some solace from the fact that my hypervigilance does have some positive impact as well. I know how to fight with my hands and with firearms. I keep my head on a swivel and don’t put myself into dangerous environments. I know basic stop bleed care. I’m pretty confident from encounters I have had and training I’ve undertaken that, if a violent situation should erupt in my life again, I am better conditioned to respond in a way that will increase the safety of those around me than most people. That’s a positive outcome.

The older I get, the more I realize that almost none of the poo poo I've worried about my whole life is normal. Like, at all. I'd feel stupid about it if I was any smarter. All I can do is chuckle in my own mind, "Hooo-boy! That's loving insane, dude. Take it down a notch."

The Motel 6 parking lot is the entryway into my memory castle. Crackheads I have known: first door on the left after the double doors. Getting smacked in the face: first door on the right after the double doors. Wow, almost died right there: up the stairs, around the corner, next to the ice machine. Grab a Coke while you're there.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Therapy is pretty awesome and works guys. It just takes time. I don't say this to be glib either. I'm sorry all this stuff happened and I wish it hasn't.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'll say this about the hypervigilance - The really, really, really bad levels of it chilled out with time. I'd ballpark the "I cannot flip light switches at night" was about a month, then the "I physically doorjamb any door where I'm sleeping" about three months.

But I've never been able to handle people behind me, which relates back to earlier stuff. But a straight up Almost-Getting-Head-Blown-Off event will gently caress your brain for a while. The worst thing? Everyone you know going, "What did you do?" Like it's somehow your fault to have an event like that happen.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Therapy is pretty awesome and works guys. It just takes time. I don't say this to be glib either. I'm sorry all this stuff happened and I wish it hasn't.

This is a solid post with excellent advice.

Iíd add that gritting your teeth and bearing it alone is far easier than facing it head on and talking it out.

The ďmen donít talk about their feelingsĒ thing hosed plenty of my family up, donít let that fake macho bullshit get you too.

Side note: if you arenít in a place to talk about whatever the issue is yet, that doesnít make you weak. It just means youíre not ready yet and thatís okay. Small steps in the right direction are still movement in the right direction. Believe in yourself, know that you have value as a person and that you deserve to be whole. Godspeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Get. Therapy.

Get it.

Go in knowing it's a type of relationship, and you might not work well with your first therapist. Try again.

Know it isn't always going to be enjoyable, or pleasant, but you are healing, and and need to push through. Just like physical therapy- it will help.

I don't know any of you personally- but you are a human being who has seen some poo poo. You have my love and support, and I want you to get better.