Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

See, this is why I sanity check this poo poo, because I'm an idiot when it comes to irons.

. . . which means I'll have to address this with the rear sight which is not going to be as easy.

*Cyrano sighs as he sheaths his file*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Capn Beeb posted:

A friend of mine picked up a Type 56 SKS and is already looking down the abyss of Promag stocks to replace the factory wood

How do I steer them right :ohdear:

Introduce them to Ivan Chesnokov

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I would earnestly recommend against introducing anyone to anything from /k/.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Random question, anyone have a specific motion sensing battery power LED light they would recommend for inside the gun safe? Or should I just buy whatever looks decent and cheap on Amazon?

Edit to add: I have an unused under-counter LED strip that plugs into the wall and has a remote, maybe I could solder a PIR sensor onto that and reuse it?

Tyro fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 11, 2021

Mambo No. 5
Feb 24, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Capn Beeb posted:

A friend of mine picked up a Type 56 SKS and is already looking down the abyss of Promag stocks to replace the factory wood

How do I steer them right :ohdear:

Roll up a newspaper, boop them on the nose, and say, "Nyet, rifle is fine."

For real tho, to each their own.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

How do you guys label mags? I usually sequentially number them for the gun except in cases where it could be used in various firearms like a Glock 17 or 19 magazine. Same for AR mags I guess sequentially numbering them is okay? I use certain ones for .300blk though and I have a wide variety of brands.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Painters/masking tape & permanent markers on the baseplate of my pistols.

Paint marker along the front edge of my rifle mags near the feed lips (these were re-done as they were getting worn AF).

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Boner Wad posted:

How do you guys label mags? I usually sequentially number them for the gun except in cases where it could be used in various firearms like a Glock 17 or 19 magazine. Same for AR mags I guess sequentially numbering them is okay? I use certain ones for .300blk though and I have a wide variety of brands.

sharpie oil-base pens

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Boner Wad posted:

I use the Sighthound Ballistics mag bands to mark magazines for caliber where I want that. Otherwise, I put my initials on mags and if they're the ones I use for competition I number them sequentially so I can ID ones that cause trouble. I have a sequence for each type of mag in each size (glock 17 mags 1-25, 21 round glock mags 1-10, etc). On magpul ones I do the little digital dots, otherwise I just write it on the side.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

poopgiggle posted:

sharpie oil-base pens

This, usually with my initials and a two-digit number for tracking malfunctions as they occur.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Boner Wad posted:

I pick out names either from my grandparents or by selecting the 6th most popular name in this year's baby name book.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Different colored base plates. :colbert:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

infrared35 posted:

This, usually with my initials and a two-digit number for tracking malfunctions as they occur.

Same. Initials and a number.

The only exception is guns that I only have one mag for or where the mag is fairly valuable (milsurp poo poo mostly). In those cases I donít mark them because I can track them anyways.

Edit: single exception is the m1 carbine mags. Iíve got a bunch of USGIs I got cheap years ago and I donít want to paint those. Duct tape with market on it there.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I use the letters of the Arabic alphabet because nobody else at the gun range ever uses that to label their mags

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Internet Wizard posted:

I use the letters of the Arabic alphabet because nobody else at the gun range ever uses that to label their mags

LEDIFNI? :v:

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Captain Log posted:

Different colored base plates. :colbert:
Same. I only use different color baseplates in my Glock magazines for rapid visual ID of the caliber in them. I shoot 9mm, .40 S&W, and .357 SIG (rarely) out of my G22 and G23 and I don't want to accidentally load the wrong ammo for the barrel I have in at the time. If I'm at the range and have to identify specific ammo types in the individual magazines for some reason, I'll just write something on masking tape in Sharpie and stick it to the magazine.

It never occurred to me to semi-permanently/permanently mark my magazines for whatever reason.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

I've intentionally avoided having unsafely interchangeable magazines (unless you can manage to jam a G19 mag into a G44, but I haven't felt the need to test that) partially out of safety and partially out of minimizing the number of calibers I have on hand.
Any mags that are brand new are stored differently than ones that are used for CCW or range use.

Presumably there's some scenario that would warrant labeling them, but I haven't come across it yet.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Paint pen with initials and mags are numbered so I can tell if a mag is wack

Marking your poo poo is vital as Iíve had tons of mags walk off over the years. Iíve caught people taking the ones that are marked, even

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Do we have a Good Company thread floating around? Got my polymer stock from Ranger Point Precision and it doesn't fit. Hit up customer chat, told them what's up, and they got back to me within a few minutes with a return label and a theory that the screw hole might be just slightly enough out of alignment that it's blocking the threads in the lower tang. They're gonna test fit a new stock in house to make sure it's not a fluke with the .357 Mag 1894CST rifles, as the description says it fits all pistol gripped Marlin centerfires.

Probably the easiest customer service I've had in a long time, drat

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

There was a review thread kicking around, just for general product/company reviews. It didn't get posted in frequently so its probably fallen off.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Anyone have a Magpul QD sling mount kit handy? The little QD sockets you can add to their stocks, either type.

Iím looking for overall length and diameter. For reasons.

Thanks guys!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

smax posted:

Anyone have a Magpul QD sling mount kit handy? The little QD sockets you can add to their stocks, either type.

I’m looking for overall length and diameter. For reasons.

Thanks guys!

Like the little MLOK ones? I can check when I get home. I'm in the hospital right now after getting an angiogram lol

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

smax posted:

Iím looking for overall length and diameter. For reasons.

Thanks guys!
Length: ~15mm
Diameter: ~12mm

smax
Nov 9, 2009

One of these:

https://magpul.com/sling-mount-kit-type-1.html?mp_global_color=118

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Android Apocalypse posted:

Length: ~15mm
Diameter: ~12mm

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Noice, thank you!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Hey, knowledge box, I got a 2.5x prism optic, but mounting it up I had to have it all the way back here before I saw the full FOV. Seems really far back, but I've still got several inches of eye relief, so it's not dangerous. Just.... doesn't look right? Any advice, am I missing something?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

How do you shoulder the gun? Sounds like you might have your face too far back on the stock.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Many prism sights are basically clones of the ACOG, and tend to have small eye boxes. When I had an ACOG on my M4, it was pretty far back; I've run into it with a bunch of prism sights.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cyrano4747 posted:

How do you shoulder the gun? Sounds like you might have your face too far back on the stock.

Hm, dunno, just what's comfy after a lot of time shooting irons. I'll move around some and see if I need to adjust my face a bit.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The traditional method of shouldering an AR-15 is "nose to charging handle," which would put your face a lot closer to the receiver. But I'm of the mindset "make the gear work for you" so if your optic has to be further back, so be it.

Just curious: are you doing your shooting prone/off a bench a lot, or are you doing more offhand shooting?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.√ʬĬĚ

It needs a carry handle.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

bulletsponge13 posted:

Many prism sights are basically clones of the ACOG, and tend to have small eye boxes. When I had an ACOG on my M4, it was pretty far back; I've run into it with a bunch of prism sights.

I know multiple Marines with scars on their right eyebrows because their ACOG was hitting them during a rifle qual but they were shooting hot that day and didn't want to mess with it.

I'm jealous of future generations of servicemembers that will get good LPVOs with more flexible eyeboxes.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cyrano4747 posted:

So... it may have been mostly this. Kind of a non issue shooting with irons, but just scooting my face up the stock a bit let me push the optic a few notches forward. Doesn't feel weird, and I get instant feedback with the sight picture on where I am at on the stock. I'll sight it in this week and see how it feels. Thanks!

The traditional method of shouldering an AR-15 is "nose to charging handle," which would put your face a lot closer to the receiver. But I'm of the mindset "make the gear work for you" so if your optic has to be further back, so be it.

Just curious: are you doing your shooting prone/off a bench a lot, or are you doing more offhand shooting?

I shortened the stock enough to get a lot closer and man that just feels weird. I might experiement with it, but I think halfway is a good compromise.

And I don't shoot enough, that's for sure. Probably a 50/50 mix of bench/offhand.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Internet Wizard posted:

I know multiple Marines with scars on their right eyebrows because their ACOG was hitting them during a rifle qual but they were shooting hot that day and didn't want to mess with it.

I'm jealous of future generations of servicemembers that will get good LPVOs with more flexible eyeboxes.

The ACOG is a great Infantry optic in concept- rugged, no batteries, tritium for low light, the Bindon Concept (which I could never get to work right because concussions). In execution, it's heavy, the illum is either too bright, or way too dim 90% of the time, and that tight eyebox is unforgiving. I didn't run one as much as a Marine would, so my exp is pretty limited, but I was not a fan.

I love the look, because it was the hot poo poo when I was in HS and a weird little military nerd, and 'feel' right. But I've had 3 now, and they always go away because I hate the drat things.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think Trijicon has a proper LPVO now that still has the tritium for illumination so you don't have the electronics weight or disposable batteries, although given how ubiquitous I'm guessing flashlights and/or PEQs are at this point maybe that's not so much an issue if they share battery form factors. InRange tested the Trijicon LPVO in one of their videos for the WWSD 2017 and said it was good but they still preferred a dot and magnifier because the dot is still better in close with the lack of parallax and better eyebox.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Also the Trijicon LVPO's are expensive for what they offer.

The VCOG looks relatively reasonable in price, especially compared to a Nightforce or Vortex.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Actually, General, I believe you'll find they are very reasonably priced, oops I just dropped a suitcase full of money, oh well I can't find it.

(I know that with military contracts it's probably just they cut the price per unit down a ton based on the fact that holy poo poo we've got a guaranteed sale of tens of thousands of these things)

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

The VCOG looks relatively reasonable in price, especially compared to a Nightforce or Vortex.

I got a 1-4x Accupower for like $399 on sale and it BLOWS everything else in that price range out of the water.

Perfect for my 458 Socom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

I need a head check here.

I picked up a mossberg 151 semi auto 22 super cheap at an auction, and im finding some function issues.

When I load it and work the bolt to chamber the first round, its not cocking. When I pull the bolt back again, it doesn't extract the first round, but when I push the second round out of the way and put it back in battery, it fires fine.

Then, as I shoot, it will fail to go into battery every 3rd round or so but when I tap the bolt closed its fine.

I've cleaned and lubed it and it still does this.

So...it needs a new recoil spring, right?