Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

stealie72 posted:

I need a head check here.

I picked up a mossberg 151 semi auto 22 super cheap at an auction, and im finding some function issues.

When I load it and work the bolt to chamber the first round, its not cocking. When I pull the bolt back again, it doesn't extract the first round, but when I push the second round out of the way and put it back in battery, it fires fine.

Then, as I shoot, it will fail to go into battery every 3rd round or so but when I tap the bolt closed its fine.

I've cleaned and lubed it and it still does this.

So...it needs a new recoil spring, right?

A weak recoil spring wouldn't explain failure to extract.

One thing to look for on older .22s is to make sure the chamber edge hasn't been slightly peened from dry firing. Easy to check that. It doesn't take much to interfere with chambering and extraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Will take a look for peening. And will experiment to see if the first round issue is it just not being in battery, so not grabbing it with the extractor. When it actually fires a round, it extracts and ejects just fine so I didn't even really think to be concerned about it.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

My brother took out his shotgun from the safe for the first time since he sat in a blind for turkey in the spring. Where his hands handled the wood a bunch of mold grew!

It wasn't wet when he hunted and he put it away after oiling the metal. He's probably going to be cleaning the wood meticulously every time he touches it from now on, too. I suggested he might want to put a dehumidifier in his safe, though I dunno if what was growing had more to do with hand oils vs moisture. Any other ideas?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

seconding the dehumidifier. It might not just be where his hands were, there's a lot more texture there for poo poo to get in. Could be he brushed up on something in the brush.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

For my safe I have one of those heating rods along with a big thing of silica gel that I recharge periodically. I've never had any problems. I do live in Arizona though, so moisture is really only a problem in July and August.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

We get giant 3lb packets of silica gel at work with our deliveries of castings so I put a few in the bottom of each safe and rotate them out every few months, and that seems to work good as I haven't seen a speck of rust.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

You can generally buy a large bucket of silica crystals intended for kitty litter pretty cheaply, and then sew it into nylons. Recharging is just tossing them in the oven on ow for a bit to dry them back out.
The prudent thing to do is to run the vacuum just above the bucket when you are scooping the crystals into whatever receptacle you've chosen, it strips the dust out of the air.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Got my replacement stock from Ranger Point Precision today:

https://rangerpointstore.com/pistolgrip-polymer-butt-stock/

What do I need to put a QD cup in the side of the stock? If I'm reading things right, it'd be this:

https://grovtec.com/products/heavy-duty-push-button-bases?variant=50124357524

Cause I did a little test fit with a Slingster, and I like where this is heading:

But I'm not 100% sure that's the little cup I need 🤔

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

I think that stock is hollow, making something like this https://grovtec.com/products/hollow-stock-push-button-base-gthm198-coming-soon or this https://noveske.com/products/flush-qd-sling-mount/ a better choice. I've used the Noveske one a couple times. No complaints.

TerraCat
Jul 20, 2021

by Hand Knit

I recently got my FAL working and took it to the range for test firing where it worked great.

However the metal handguards got extremely hot after firing and sitting in the 90° sunlight.

Would a set of wooden hand grips do better at insulating the heat of the barrel and not getting hot in the sun?

Alan Smithee
Jan 3, 2005

there still a discord for TFR?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Alan Smithee posted:

there still a discord for TFR?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929650&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post506205664

Note that there are other "TFR" discords that are, uh, less than okay.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

What happened there?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

LimburgLimbo posted:

What happened there?

In years past Cyrano's policy was to have no official relationship between the forums and any Discord server because it just caused more moderation headaches dealing with Discord drama as well as whatever was going on on the forums. This lead to one or more unofficial discords that had either poor/negligible moderation or were just run by people who were ok with stuff/people not ok on the forums. (I never joined any of these so I can't speak from first hand experience.) Eventually these servers got a reputation for being full of people who had been driven off/banned from the forums for being nazis etc.

When it looked like the forums might collapse or be deleted any day during Lowtax's downfall Cyrano decided to make an official TFR Discord to make sure the community would have a place to continue if the forums imploded. The official Discord is generally moderated the same as the forums (although by a different team) and you generally have to have a forums account in good standing to join/stay.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

my kinda ape posted:

In years past Cyrano's policy was to have no official relationship between the forums and any Discord server because it just caused more moderation headaches dealing with Discord drama as well as whatever was going on on the forums. This lead to one or more unofficial discords that had either poor/negligible moderation or were just run by people who were ok with stuff/people not ok on the forums. (I never joined any of these so I can't speak from first hand experience.) Eventually these servers got a reputation for being full of people who had been driven off/banned from the forums for being nazis etc.

When it looked like the forums might collapse or be deleted any day during Lowtax's downfall Cyrano decided to make an official TFR Discord to make sure the community would have a place to continue if the forums imploded. The official Discord is generally moderated the same as the forums (although by a different team) and you generally have to have a forums account in good standing to join/stay.

Yup, this is pretty much how it is. The only thing I'll add to this is that I don't do gently caress all in the way of moderating over there because it's not something I've put in the effort to develop, and frankly I don't do discord outside of it being convenient for talking when gaming and a couple of one-on-one correspondences that I have with people. I do try to keep lines of communication open with those folks just so that if poo poo melts down we're all pulling in the same direction.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The one I briefly joined years ago was full of people that openly identified as neo-nazis and PMed me death threats.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dip Viscous posted:

The one I briefly joined years ago was full of people that openly identified as neo-nazis and PMed me death threats.

This is exactly why there was no official TFR discord / IRC / etc for the longest time.

I have zero ability to prevent anyone from creating a discord or IRC or whatever and calling it TFR or The Firing Range etc. It was way, way, WAY cleaner to just say "the forums are the forums and there is no official offsite" and disavow completely anything that went on someplace that I couldn't directly moderate.

The current one was the direct result of Lowtax's drama and was intended purely as a lifeboat in the even this place disappeared in the middle of the night. There were some serious concerns that he could just pull the plug if things got bad enough, and the last thing I wanted was for the people who had spent decades BS'ing with each other here to not have any way to contact each other if that happened.

This is the same time period that there were active plans on the part of the mods and admins to build an official offsite, up to and including Jeffrey of YOSPOS buying another URL (I think it was SomethingBetter or SomethingAwfuler or something like that) and iirc he even shelled out some relatively minor cash (like a few hundred - minor compared to buying the forums) for some forums software license. We were probably anywhere from a day to a week away from a mass resignation of the entire mod staff and mass posting of "go to the new community" by the now ex-staff.

That's the context that I created the discord in. The old thread's around somewhere if you want to read back on it.

Then Jeff came through and bought the forums, so all that became unnecessary.

In the meantime the handful of people who I'd grabbed to make mods in the discord actually built a functional community and kept it free of the crap that we'd seen in some past "TFR" discords. There have been ups and downs over there, but on the whole it's pretty decent. I don't hang out there much at all, but I keep at least half an eye on things. If anyone ever becomes aware of anything seriously ugly over there tell me and I'll go kramer in to ask the people running the show wtf.

Worst case? I'm still the discord owner so if it turns into a klan rally I'll just shitcan people left right and center and/or delete it.

edit: i really, really can not emphasize just how close we came to planting some scuttling charges and getting in those lifeboats. Jeff came through in a huge way at the 11th hour.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

my kinda ape posted:

Ah, I only knew of the official one as backup for a Loxtaxicide and was thinking there might have been some drama and a split since that, but it's just there were repositories of shitheads previously existing, that makes more sense.

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: i really, really can not emphasize just how close we came to planting some scuttling charges and getting in those lifeboats. Jeff came through in a huge way at the 11th hour.

It's legit weird to think this dead little piece of internet history almost died. Can't wait to tell my kids how people used to pay money to post dumb poo poo.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

LimburgLimbo posted:

It's legit weird to think this dead little piece of internet history almost died. Can't wait to tell my kids how people used to pay money to post dumb poo poo.

And you're commemorated and immortalized in the Library of Congress for your trouble. They make a periodic mirror of the forums because we're "culturally significant".

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

kupachek posted:

And you're commemorated and immortalized in the Library of CDongress for your trouble. They make a periodic mirror of the forums because we're "culturally significant".

Correcting for TFR

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Cyrano4747 posted:

The current one was the direct result of Lowtax's drama and was intended purely as a lifeboat in the even this place disappeared in the middle of the night. There were some serious concerns that he could just pull the plug if things got bad enough, and the last thing I wanted was for the people who had spent decades BS'ing with each other here to not have any way to contact each other if that happened.

Wasn't there also some poo poo where Lowtax wanted some subforums completely deleted from the database, and then Jeffrey just said that he did without actually doing it and Lowtax never noticed?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Dip Viscous posted:

Wasn't there also some poo poo where Lowtax wanted some subforums completely deleted from the database, and then Jeffrey just said that he did without actually doing it and Lowtax never noticed?
Wasn't that just the concern trolls in QCS just calling for TFR and GiP to be shut down because we're all nazi baby murderers or something?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dip Viscous posted:

Yes and no.

So back in the day when a forum disappeared, lowtax was just blasting it. I forget what the cutoff was, but I'm pretty sure LF died this way, for example. That isn't really necessary. Admins can open and close forums all day long if they want to, and closing a forum just makes it invisible to everyone. You can do some odd tricks with this, like if you have a forum open but not displayed you can enter the forumID manually to poke around in it. This is useful for setting up poo poo like welcome and rules threads etc before a new forum goes fully live. There are additional levers you can pull, but that's the broad version.

That's what happens with the Olympics forum that's open right now, for example. It's not destroyed and re-created every two years, it is just shut down.

Anyways, when Jeff came on he was a little horrified that there was literally a "delete this forum" button, because the man is huge on maintaining the history of this place. He was also afraid that Lowtax might pull another LF and blast a forum in a pique of Lowtax-ishness some day. No matter what your feelings on a particular sub are, that's a LOT of our collective history, and Jeff of all people feels that very strongly.

So, one day, without telling Lowtax, he edited the forums software a little bit. The "delete forum" button is still there, but if you click it it just gives you a pop up that says something like "We don't burn the library of Alexandria, and we don't delete our forums." I might be getting the wording off, but the library of Alexandria bit is in there.

To the best of my knowledge Lowtax never noticed and never found out.

I might be loving up some of the details there, but the broad strokes should be right.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Nice.

Ygolonac posted:

Correcting for TFR
This made me think: does the library of Congress have a throwaway account so they catch the actual forums, or do they just archive the free version, hilarious replacements and all?

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yes and no.

So back in the day when a forum disappeared, lowtax was just blasting it. I forget what the cutoff was, but I'm pretty sure LF died this way, for example. That isn't really necessary. Admins can open and close forums all day long if they want to, and closing a forum just makes it invisible to everyone. You can do some odd tricks with this, like if you have a forum open but not displayed you can enter the forumID manually to poke around in it. This is useful for setting up poo poo like welcome and rules threads etc before a new forum goes fully live. There are additional levers you can pull, but that's the broad version.

That's what happens with the Olympics forum that's open right now, for example. It's not destroyed and re-created every two years, it is just shut down.

Anyways, when Jeff came on he was a little horrified that there was literally a "delete this forum" button, because the man is huge on maintaining the history of this place. He was also afraid that Lowtax might pull another LF and blast a forum in a pique of Lowtax-ishness some day. No matter what your feelings on a particular sub are, that's a LOT of our collective history, and Jeff of all people feels that very strongly.

So, one day, without telling Lowtax, he edited the forums software a little bit. The "delete forum" button is still there, but if you click it it just gives you a pop up that says something like "We don't burn the library of Alexandria, and we don't delete our forums." I might be getting the wording off, but the library of Alexandria bit is in there.

To the best of my knowledge Lowtax never noticed and never found out.

I might be loving up some of the details there, but the broad strokes should be right.

I think the lack of backups and the broken nature of everything cobbled together with spit, cheap chewinggum, and yeti pubichair was a bigger threat to losing everything than Lowtax hitting the button.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

stealie72 posted:

Wasn't that just the concern trolls in QCS just calling for TFR and GiP to be shut down because we're all nazi baby murderers or something?

That also happened (multiple times) but was unrelated to Lowtax nuking things.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

kupachek posted:

I think the lack of backups and the broken nature of everything cobbled together with spit, cheap chewinggum, and yeti pubichair was a bigger threat to losing everything than Lowtax hitting the button.

This has actually improved a lot over the years. At one point everything was basically hosted in Lowtax's basement or garage or whatever. That's long in the past. I forget the exact details, but everything moved to cloud hosting long before Jeff bought. So the threat of a HD crash taking poo poo out was a thing of the past by, say, 2020-ish (date pulled out of my rear end, but that's the rough order of magnitude - not back in the days of 9/11 memes, but not yesterday either).

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

This has actually improved a lot over the years. At one point everything was basically hosted in Lowtax's basement or garage or whatever. That's long in the past. I forget the exact details, but everything moved to cloud hosting long before Jeff bought. So the threat of a HD crash taking poo poo out was a thing of the past by, say, 2020-ish (date pulled out of my rear end, but that's the rough order of magnitude - not back in the days of 9/11 memes, but not yesterday either).

Not quite what I had in mind.
I didn't save a screenshot, but I saved the text from the notice back in April when it was "discovered" post-sale. It was noticed when they were dealing with an instance of database corruption.

quote:

there had not been a database replica server running for several years. Further, if the site had a backup process in place before, it must have lived on that missing replica; there did not seem to be anything configured. You read that correctly—for many years, these forums were one malformed shell command, bad SQL query, or hardware failure away from vanishing in a puff of magic smoke.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

kupachek posted:

Not quite what I had in mind.
I didn't save a screenshot, but I saved the text from the notice back in April when it was "discovered" post-sale. It was noticed when they were dealing with an instance of database corruption.

Ah, OK.

I've never paid attention to the technical side of things too closely beyond just going :stonk: when people who do talk about it, but I do know that there's just a lot of broken poo poo on the back end. The lack of archives being updated, for example. There's a process that scrapes old threads from the active forums, copies them to the archives (which are a separate thing with slightly different, much cheaper hosting due to how much less frequently archived threads get loaded) and then deletes the original in the live forums. Long story short, it was designed to save on bandwith and hosting etc by putting old threads in the proverbial fridge.

Only at one point the script that copied the threads broke, but the one that deleted them didn't. So there was about a six-ish month period where anything that was "archived" was just deleted.

That's why if you jump to the last page of TFR we've got "live" threads that were last touched in 2014 (which gives a solid date for when this went down).

You'll also notice that the really old ones (post-2018 or so) are auto-locked and even I don't have the ability to unlock them. I think that was one of the changes that Astral made in the last year or so, but I could be mistaken on that. He's the one to ask if anyone's really curious about what horrors lie beneath the surface of SA's codebase. Or, as I put it in the rules thread:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Something Awful is built on ancient code maintained by amateurs and psychopaths.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

I wasn't 100% sure this was the right place for this, but cleaning out my grandparents' garage a few weeks ago I came across two of these crates of .30 carbine.

Given their age and that they've sat in a garage with no climate control in California since at least the 1970's, are these likely to be safe to fire? I'm not really sure what to do with it all regardless since I can't see myself shooting that much .30 carbine.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Might want to check the milsurp thread, but in my uneducated opinion... only let your enemies shoot this, preferably through the gun of theirs that you hate the most.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

I have no idea if it's safe or not, but it's probably corrosive and even if I knew it was 100% safe to shoot I still wouldn't put it through an M1 Carbine or any gun I valued.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

SpartanIvy posted:

I have no idea if it's safe or not, but it's probably corrosive and even if I knew it was 100% safe to shoot I still wouldn't put it through an M1 Carbine or any gun I valued.

M1 carbine ammo was never corrosive so you can be sure that's not a problem at least!

I'd say if it doesn't look corroded it's probably fine. Worst case it fails to fire or hangfires and then you should probably stop shooting it.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

All I'm seeing is a good excuse to buy a Blackhawk in .30 Carbine.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

my kinda ape posted:

M1 carbine ammo was never corrosive so you can be sure that's not a problem at least!

I'd say if it doesn't look corroded it's probably fine. Worst case it fails to fire or hangfires and then you should probably stop shooting it.

From what I read online that's true for US made 30 carbine ammo but not French made ammo.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

SpartanIvy posted:

From what I read online that's true for US made 30 carbine ammo but not French made ammo.

Ah good catch, my mistake.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

checkstock posted:

I wasn't 100% sure this was the right place for this, but cleaning out my grandparents' garage a few weeks ago I came across two of these crates of .30 carbine.

Given their age and that they've sat in a garage with no climate control in California since at least the 1970's, are these likely to be safe to fire? I'm not really sure what to do with it all regardless since I can't see myself shooting that much .30 carbine.

Man it’s wild to me that we’re still finding surplus ammunition in garages from a war that happened 80 years ago.

I mean, logically I know that millions and millions of rounds were manufactured but poo poo. 80 years ago.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

According to this, it was made in at earliest 1960, but it is Berdan primed and corrosive, I've got no idea what's involved in cleaning corrosive residue out of a tappet gas system. https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/french-30-cal-carbine-ammo/34488

That thread said that it doesn't shoot well, you could probably get a decent price for the cans from collectors especially since I'm guessing there's not much in the way of rust on the cans what with it being California. I could be wrong though. Or like someone said you could get a .30 revolver and shoot it for free the rest of your life assuming it's not unsafe.

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

I hadn't even considered that it might be corrosive and kind of crap besides that.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I could use some help identifying the age of this gun.

From what I can gather, it is a 1911 (by the characteristics) , produced by Springfield Armory in Illinois (by the stamp on the side) with the serial number of 176.

A local gunsmith did some digging and thinks it has been used in Vietnam. Does anyone have a rough idea as to when it was made? I did not find any prodution date on the gun itself.

e:

Production stamp.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 2, 2021