Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Interesting stampings! I'm not familiar with those particular proof marks, they do make me suspect the gun spent some time in another country at some point. Springfield Armory of Geneseo IL is a civilian manufacturer that operates under the same name as the old defunct US arsenal. They began making 1911s some time in the mid-1980s so that frame at least definitely never fought in the Vietnam war and was likely never in government service as very few if any Springfields ever were, to my knowledge.

The only way to conclusively date an SA is to call Springfield Armory and ask them afaik - however that is a bit of an unusual gun, with the K prefix and the proof marks so I'd be curious what the story behind it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

flightless greeb posted:

Interesting stampings! I'm not familiar with those particular proof marks, they do make me suspect the gun spent some time in another country at some point. Springfield Armory of Geneseo IL is a civilian manufacturer that operates under the same name as the old defunct US arsenal. They began making 1911s some time in the mid-1980s so that frame at least definitely never fought in the Vietnam war and was likely never in government service as very few if any Springfields ever were, to my knowledge.

The only way to conclusively date an SA is to call Springfield Armory and ask them afaik - however that is a bit of an unusual gun, with the K prefix and the proof marks so I'd be curious what the story behind it is!

The stampings on the barrel, slide and receiver are all from the shelling department in Austria - where I live. They fire a single, overloaded bullet to make sure the gun doesn't just fly apart.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 2, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007
I am a fucking idiot that trusts the CDC and FDA. When reading my posts please understand that I do not understand that we live in a failing empire.

Hey there, I checked the first few pages of TFR and didn't see anything obvious so I thought I would ask here but: is there an archery thread here in TFR? I'm looking to get into some target shooting and I think I want to be the weird kid on the block who shoots arrows instead of guns, I used to do target shooting with shaped pellet rifles but as I've gotten older bows have appealed to me more. I was hoping there'd be some archery goons to ask for advice so I don't make the mistake of buying garbage gear right off the bat.

There is an archery club/range I could join in my general area but with covid poo poo continuing to be out of hand where I live, even though I'm vaccinated I am not really eager to go in person and deal with all that. Thanks in advance!

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Doctor Nutt posted:

Hey there, I checked the first few pages of TFR and didn't see anything obvious so I thought I would ask here but: is there an archery thread here in TFR? I'm looking to get into some target shooting and I think I want to be the weird kid on the block who shoots arrows instead of guns, I used to do target shooting with shaped pellet rifles but as I've gotten older bows have appealed to me more. I was hoping there'd be some archery goons to ask for advice so I don't make the mistake of buying garbage gear right off the bat.

There is an archery club/range I could join in my general area but with covid poo poo continuing to be out of hand where I live, even though I'm vaccinated I am not really eager to go in person and deal with all that. Thanks in advance!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3197043

There's also some archery talk (usually compounds) in the hunting thread from time to time.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

edit: too slow

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007
I am a fucking idiot that trusts the CDC and FDA. When reading my posts please understand that I do not understand that we live in a failing empire.

charliebravo77 posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3197043

There's also some archery talk (usually compounds) in the hunting thread from time to time.

Thanks much friendly TFR goons!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Fun Shoe

Yeah, there's an Archery thread, but they hardly ever talk about Archer, which is a shame. The new season drops in a few weeks.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, there's an Archery thread, but they hardly ever talk about Archer, which is a shame. The new season drops in a few weeks.

And yet they still refuse to release Season 10 on DVD. Some of us canít stream audio, let alone video. :mad:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

infrared35 posted:

And yet they still refuse to release Season 10 on DVD. Some of us canít stream audio, let alone video. :mad:

drat. Thatís rough.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

tehinternet posted:

drat. Thatís rough.

We signed up for Starlink a year ago and haven't heard anything back. In the meantime, a new company just promised to deliver gigabit fiber all over this end of the state by next year. So we'll see.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

infrared35 posted:

Whenever I finish thinning out my DVD collection, I'll give you one of the first passes at Free DVDs.

I've already done the thinning, I just have to sort everything and see if I'm ditching more stuff.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

How should I go about getting a gun trust? Are any of those pay $100 get a generic legal document web sites worth it? Is there a DIY or free option? Just curious on the best way to approach this.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

I have a generic blank NFA trust that anyone can fill out pretty easy if they want it. Its pretty barebones but it hits all the major points. I have a dozen NFA items on it now so I can vouch it works.

Email my username at gmail if you want a copy

Disclaimer: I cant verify this trust meets all the requirements for your specific state. This is valid for South Dakota but should work for any state unless they have weird specific laws pertaining to trusts, which is your responsibility to find out.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

Whenever I finish thinning out my DVD collection, I'll give you one of the first passes at Free DVDs.

I've already done the thinning, I just have to sort everything and see if I'm ditching more stuff.

:love:

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

I'm looking to buy steel targets and trying to buy locally.

I plan on only shooting rimfire rifle/pistol and handguns/PCC's at it. Which is what drew me to this plate, Drummond 3/16" AR450

It's very lightweight and seems tailored to my use case, but it also says 50 yards minimum engagement range which is a bit of a long pistol shot. Am I compromising my safety by using this light weight plate at closer ranges such as 10 yards? Or is it the manufacturer being extremely conservative?

Otherwise I don't mind paying more for a thicker AR500 plate if necessary.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Illegal Hen

For pistol calibers you should be good at about 10y, tho the reason they suggest 50+y is the thickness of the AR500 makes it likely to start pitting with hot loads (like magnum rounds) and eventually you're risking the structural integrity of your targets.

I opted for 3/8" AR500 steel targets so I feel comfortable shooting at them at <50y with rifle rounds.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

It's not just damage to the plate they're worried about, it's damage to the shooter. Any closer than 50 yards and you start seeing a lot more poo poo coming back at the firing line. Mostly it's just jacket fragments and maybe a few chunks of lead, but it's enough to gently caress up an eye if you're not wearing glasses and certainly enough to give you a cut. You also have to be a lot more careful about plate angle. Out at 100 you're generally fine just hanging the plate off some chain or whatever, but all the setups I've seen for closer range steel shooting usually involve the plate hung on a hinge that forces it forward at about a 20 degree angle to angle the poo poo into the dirt.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's not just damage to the plate they're worried about, it's damage to the shooter. Any closer than 50 yards and you start seeing a lot more poo poo coming back at the firing line. Mostly it's just jacket fragments and maybe a few chunks of lead, but it's enough to gently caress up an eye if you're not wearing glasses and certainly enough to give you a cut. You also have to be a lot more careful about plate angle. Out at 100 you're generally fine just hanging the plate off some chain or whatever, but all the setups I've seen for closer range steel shooting usually involve the plate hung on a hinge that forces it forward at about a 20 degree angle to angle the poo poo into the dirt.

Yeah I've RO'd a few GSSF shoots and been hit by little bits of jacket or whatever ricocheting off the steel poppers several times in any given day. It's not common, if I think about the number of rounds fired during the day vs the number of times I feel something hit me, but it definitely happens. If you hang gong style targets from the top I find that ricochets are much less likely to come back at you than off something like a popper. Might just be placebo, but it sure seems like it from my experience.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

armorer posted:

Yeah I've RO'd a few GSSF shoots and been hit by little bits of jacket or whatever ricocheting off the steel poppers several times in any given day. It's not common, if I think about the number of rounds fired during the day vs the number of times I feel something hit me, but it definitely happens. If you hang gong style targets from the top I find that ricochets are much less likely to come back at you than off something like a popper. Might just be placebo, but it sure seems like it from my experience.

Itís true. Poppers and stuff sit too straight and move in a way that makes it more likely. A plate angled downward like cyrano said is best. Iíve been through super high round count classes and no one got touched, even shooting within a few yards. The ground in front of all the targets was hosed tho lol

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

I have some steel targets hung from chain, to get more of an angle with them, the chain is behind the plate and I put a stack of washers between the chain and the plate. When it hangs, the washers push the weight out more from the chain and it hangs a little more angled. I couldn't tell you what the angle is or say if it's significantly better, but it was cheap and I think it helps.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

My brother took some jacket spall from an adjacent shooter off the target carrier at an indoor range at 7 yards and it got stuck in his forehead. Didn't need an emergency room visit but it was a decent wound. From my experience, even out at 15 yards you will risk minor cuts with with pistol calibers. 20, and especially 30, yards seem significantly safer where velocity has dropped enough that even if you get hit it's harmless. By 50 yards it's just about completely safe. At any range, it's important to always wear eyepro when shooting steel, even if you don't for some reason when shooting generally.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

And donít ever loving shoot steel shot at a steel target. At any range.

hilife
Sep 8, 2011

Does anyone know of a good standalone inventory program for firearms? Photos etc..preferably for apple..

there are a few in the app store, but they want you to create an account and log in.. I get the cloud aspect, but not sure I want my info out on some crack programmers hard drive

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

hilife posted:

Does anyone know of a good standalone inventory program for firearms? Photos etc..preferably for apple..

there are a few in the app store, but they want you to create an account and log in.. I get the cloud aspect, but not sure I want my info out on some crack programmers hard drive

On my mobile devices I've been using Gun Log SPC.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

JRay88 posted:

And donít ever loving shoot steel shot at a steel target. At any range.

Why? Just yesterday I watched the Inrange video on the "armor penetrating" characteristics of old Norinco steel-core ammo and it did just as little (zero) damage on a 3/8" AR500 plate as standard lead-core ball. I probably wouldn't shoot hardened steel at a steel target, but it also sounds like you're talking about birdshot by describing it as "steel shot"? Is the type of steel they use particularly hard or something?

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

We both like to hang out in public bathrooms?!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Why? Just yesterday I watched the Inrange video on the "armor penetrating" characteristics of old Norinco steel-core ammo and it did just as little (zero) damage on a 3/8" AR500 plate as standard lead-core ball. I probably wouldn't shoot hardened steel at a steel target, but it also sounds like you're talking about birdshot by describing it as "steel shot"? Is the type of steel they use particularly hard or something?

Steel shot ricochets like a bastard without losing a lot of energy. Lead shot is more likely to flatten out and lose more energy and be less of a hazard.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

kupachek posted:

Steel shot ricochets like a bastard without losing a lot of energy. Lead shot is more likely to flatten out and lose more energy and be less of a hazard.

This 100%. Itís not at all about damaging your target. Every multigun match Iíve ever been to prohibits steel shot on shotgun stages, most ROs have a magnet and will spot check competitors. Iíve been to a few matches where people mixed up their loads and one made it into their reload belt and itís not fun getting hit by a ricochet.

Steel also ricochets off rocks like a motherfucker.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

infrared35 posted:

On my mobile devices I've been using Gun Log SPC.

I donít remember us talking about your guns.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

kupachek posted:

This is also why it's generally safer to teach kids to shoot with air rifles than BB guns.
BBs ricochet while lead pellets typically don't. (And non-lead pellets lose energy from tumbling more readily than round BBs.)

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Steel bullets can also spark off steel targets which is a potential fire hazard

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Fun Shoe

What if you make the targets out of congealed jet fuel? Would it be safe to shoot those with steel bullets?

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Steel bullets can't melt steel beams

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

JRay88 posted:

Iíve been to a few matches where people mixed up their loads and one made it into their reload belt

I accidentally brought a case of steel shot shells to a match a few years ago. I was really confused why all the poppers I shot were throwing sparks. At the end of the stage, none of the targets(or people) were damaged so I got a pass. Another competitor was a hero and spotted me shells for the rest of the day.

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

Yeah someone brought steel BB goose loads to a bowling pin shoot I was helping RO and about 15 people got peppered by shot bouncing off the AR500 tables we put the pins on. Not fun

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/LAHOBBYSHOP/status/1423484292789768193

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

One of the best things about Japanese airsoft is how it doesn't take itself too seriously and you get all kinds of fun poo poo like that

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Illegal Hen

Is being immovable/unadjustable part of Buddhism?

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

drat I need the stl for those Buddha sights so my buddy can print them in gold.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Hmm, $25 plus shipping... NAMAGDUMPSTE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

It bothers me that the post is designed to to up front and the ring at the back.