Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

walrusman posted:

Great, thanks for the info.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2936883&pagenumber=45#post378372888 Here's a few quick photos of the scope and a comparison to a cheaper "budget" option. Definitely worth a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Oh, pretty, pretty, Blue Bongo!
Bongo-Bongo Blue!! Yah!

I like turtles posted:

Last update was that it was a troll. Cops went to his house and he was fine. Don't know if any contact has been made since.

Great, I can speak ill of him then-- what an rear end in a top hat!

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

This, but from Cabela's for $5 less. The scope is iffy and the noise reduction is at the muzzle, but the action still makes a bunch of noise.

The BSA Lightning XL is a wonderfully crafted rifle that will EASILY take squirrels (mine has) at 30~ish yards and is large suburban lot quiet. It has a factory build in silencer.

Nice to see that you can get silenced airguns in the US now without fees and taxes and poo poo-tons of red tape. There are several rifles out there that have silencers that are built into bull barrel assemblies.

If dad wants to whack squirrels for cheap and is willing to fire from inside the room rather than putting the muzzle past the windowframe, the varioptions ous spring piston options from Crosman (The Quest is regularly seen on sale for $99) wih a fixed 4X scope that won't instantly die due to recoil.

Research "howitzer hold" or "artillery hold" for airguns on google. you'll learn that shooting a springer ain't like shooting pretty much anything else.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.

spankmeister posted:

So who did you piss off?

Everyone?

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005

Pillbug

Gtab posted:

Everyone?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

Saiga 7.62x39, 3 10rd mags, 1 5rd, 500rds of wolf/silver and brown bear ammo for $525. Deal or no deal. Keep in mind this is California, and the cheapest FFL transfer I can get is $75.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Aperture Priority posted:

Saiga 7.62x39, 3 10rd mags, 1 5rd, 500rds of wolf/silver and brown bear ammo for $525. Deal or no deal. Keep in mind this is California, and the cheapest FFL transfer I can get is $75.

So is that the price out the door, or what you'd pay before that $75 transfer? The ammo is $100. That doesn't seem like a great price on what's left, but in Cali I bet AK prices are pretty inflated. If you can't get a WASR or something equally cheap and awesome, I guess go for it.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

It would be a $35 FTF transfer. The best price I've seen for one in a shop is $450, but that's not saying much.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Gtab posted:

Everyone?

You're still my favorite frostback. :allears:

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

spankmeister posted:

You're still my favorite frostback. :allears:

Yknow, when you first started posting I was sure you would turn out to be a terrible Euro but you've turned out pretty good; I like you despite your Netherlandy handicap. Netherlandicap.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

The markings on the rear sight of my M24/47 are in meters, right?

Also, one time when I was shooting my little break-top pocket revolver, there was this strange moment when, right as the round fired, I felt something graze my nose. It kind of freaked me out a little, but I shrugged it off. When I got into my car, I saw it was enough to draw some blood. I'm sure if it was more than just a graze, it would have gone through, it felt that fast. Anyway, the way it hit, is it went left to right across the top of my nose, slightly angled upwards. Now, I was wondering if this could possibly be from a piece of lead shearing off the round and hitting me? My argument against that is, I would imagine if the round struck the mouth of the barrel, the piece of lead would fly straight back, hit my knuckles or arm, not rise up (I was holding it a little lower than I would if I was properly sighting it, because the effective range of that gun is like ten feet and I was shooting at fifty feet) and take an almost ninety degree turn to the right and hit my nose. But, I don't see any other way. No one else was on the range at the time. Looking at the barrel, I saw no evidence of it being hit by the round, but since .32 S&W is unjacketed, maybe it wouldn't do any harm to the metal. It only happened once out of the fifty rounds I fired, everything else went fine save for the two or three FTFs that happened, though I think that was a fault of the ammo (Remington ammo LOL). The gun seemed to lock up tight and was shooting alright.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Gtab posted:

Yknow, when you first started posting I was sure you would turn out to be a terrible Euro but you've turned out pretty good; I like you despite your Netherlandy handicap. Netherlandicap.

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures.. and the Dutch.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Dutch are scum.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm dootch, isn't zat veird?

Gtab posted:

Yeah I remember one of the first things you said was that I was a jerk. :smith: Oh well I guess that's kinda true so. :)

My Netherlandicap is because of all the weed I smoke, and those wooden shoes are pretty restricitve on the bloodflow so that can't be good.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 17, 2010

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

spankmeister posted:

I'm dootch, isn't zat veird?

Yeah I remember one of the first thing you said was that I was a jerk. :smith:

My Netherlandicap is because of all the weed I smoke, and those wooden shoes are pretty restricitve on the bloodflow so that can't be good.

If I've learned anything it's that I cannot judge all Europeans by the example set by British.

They're not real people.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Gtab posted:

If I've learned anything it's that I cannot judge all Europeans by the example set by British.

They're not real people.
Tell me about it, at work we have to deal with them every day and they're a bunch of jerks (not an ironic statement).

Anyway, there's a good chance I'm gonna go over and sniff me some of that permafrost up there, got a family reunion thing coming up and this time we're either having it in Australia or Canada.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Isle of Man's even worse. They're to regular Britons what regular Britons are to the rest of us.

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

I am the Naked King of Shoreditch, AND I AM NOT AFRAID!

spankmeister posted:

Tell me about it, at work we have to deal with them every day and they're a bunch of jerks (not an ironic statement).

Anyway, there's a good chance I'm gonna go over and sniff me some of that permafrost up there, got a family reunion thing coming up and this time we're either having it in Australia or Canada.

Guys. I'm standing right here.

Also, hcc was taking the piss? Christ.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

hairysammoth posted:

Also, hcc was taking the piss? Christ.

Well, looks like it's incumbent upon you to show us how rad a Brit can be at the meet.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

Actually, HCC wasn't taking the piss. He really was depressed and contemplating suicide. A number of goons have contacted him since. He's still alive, and he's working to sort through his issues. Hopefully he won't off himself, but he has said that he is done with being a goon for awhile. Long-term depression is pretty poo poo for those afflicted.

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

Gtab posted:

Actually, HCC wasn't taking the piss. He really was depressed and contemplating suicide. A number of goons have contacted him since. He's still alive, and he's working to sort through his issues. Hopefully he won't off himself, but he has said that he is done with being a goon for awhile.

That makes much more sense - it seemed very sincere. Glad to hear you folks got to him in time. Can't blame him for wanting to give the forums a bit of a wide berth for a while.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Gtab posted:

Long-term depression is pretty poo poo for those afflicted.

Yes, yes it is. :smith:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

hairysammoth posted:

Nah I'm cool with the Britons, it's just that my English co-workers are a bunch of dicks.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Gtab posted:

Actually, HCC wasn't taking the piss. He really was depressed and contemplating suicide. A number of goons have contacted him since. He's still alive, and he's working to sort through his issues. Hopefully he won't off himself, but he has said that he is done with being a goon for awhile. Long-term depression is pretty poo poo for those afflicted.

Here's hoping he does get the help he needs. I've never suffered from depression myself, but both of my younger sisters had problems with it and while it was pretty lovely for awhile, they've both managed to pull themselves out of it and are much happier.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I missed this whole thing, sounds awful. Can someone fill me in?

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Nah I'm cool with the Britons, it's just that my English co-workers are a bunch of dicks.

I lived in the Delft for two years. It was bizarre. I'm 5'10", but every time I went out, it gave me the unsettling, nostalgic sensation of being a child at a grown-ups' party. Surrounded by strange, towering creatures speaking a language I couldn't fully understand. I've never felt so short in my life.

The hcc thing was here.

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003

spankmeister posted:

I missed this whole thing, sounds awful. Can someone fill me in?

HCC showed up and posted a banme thread saying he was gonna kill himself. Goons freaked out and contacted the authorities. He told the authorities he was just kidding, but in reality was contemplating suicide. He has since reached out to friends and some interested parties and made contact and will hopefully now seek the help he needs to move on with his life. No shame in asking for help when you can't see your way out of a bad place in life.

As a result of his dramallama suicide threat thread, he was banned, and has said he has no plans to return.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Gtab posted:

HCC showed up and posted a banme thread saying he was gonna kill himself. Goons freaked out and contacted the authorities. He told the authorities he was just kidding, but in reality was contemplating suicide. He has since reached out to friends and some interested parties and made contact and will hopefully now seek the help he needs to move on with his life. No shame in asking for help when you can't see your way out of a bad place in life.

As a result of his dramallama suicide threat thread, he was banned, and has said he has no plans to return.
Wow, well glad that he didn't do it, hopefully he can sort some poo poo out.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

I only saw the HCC thing after the fact; here's hoping he's okay. I've never had to deal with real depression in my own life but I've known people who have and I can only hope he soon finds a way to a better place, mentally.

KillianLett
Jan 21, 2008
Mostly Average

NosmoKing posted:

This, but from Cabela's for $5 less. The scope is iffy and the noise reduction is at the muzzle, but the action still makes a bunch of noise.

The BSA Lightning XL is a wonderfully crafted rifle that will EASILY take squirrels (mine has) at 30~ish yards and is large suburban lot quiet. It has a factory build in silencer.

Nice to see that you can get silenced airguns in the US now without fees and taxes and poo poo-tons of red tape. There are several rifles out there that have silencers that are built into bull barrel assemblies.

If dad wants to whack squirrels for cheap and is willing to fire from inside the room rather than putting the muzzle past the windowframe, the varioptions ous spring piston options from Crosman (The Quest is regularly seen on sale for $99) wih a fixed 4X scope that won't instantly die due to recoil.

Research "howitzer hold" or "artillery hold" for airguns on google. you'll learn that shooting a springer ain't like shooting pretty much anything else.

Thanks for the help. Looks like it's possible that he can pick up the Quest locally, I'll let him know.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Detective Thompson posted:

The markings on the rear sight of my M24/47 are in meters, right?

100s of meters, but yup.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I dreamt that I was going through my safe and found one of those GSG5s, SBRd with a foregrip and a collapsing stock. I had no idea how it go there, so I was sort of worried.

It was a weird dream. I wish it had been an actual HK, that would have been a better dream.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

hairysammoth posted:

Yeah, but what are you gonna do about it? You can't even own a real gun. :crossarms:

Detective Thompson posted:

Well, looks like it's incumbent upon you to show us how rad a Brit can be at the meet.

Guy with the 870 was a Brit visiting with someone at the range during a VA/DC meet last year, he got a kick out of trying all our :911: stuff. We usually do some informal clay shooting, turns out he'd been a trap shooter for years and absolutely destroyed all of us.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

I thought I'd post this question here since I'm not sure what to make of what I was told.

Basically, I went into the local sportsmen club to get into bullseye shooting. Needless to say, I'm not great at long range centerfire pistol shooting, so naturally I did want to start up next time with a .22 (scored something like 249/300, to my shame). I assume that I should want to mount a scope on this pistol for optimal results. Now, I was told by my fellow club members that I should invest in a high end target pistol, which runs upwards of $1000 and counting.

On the other hand, I've had my eye on a Browning Buckmark since that would be great for plinking with the fiancee. There are definitely several models of the Buckmark with rails for mounting scopes, so couldn't I use a Buckmark for bullseye shooting? And if so, is the logic that a longer barrel means more accuracy? Or is a standard length barrel with a scope just dandy?

Is there anything THAT much better with the $1000+ models? A lot of the other guys were packing some really ancient-looking Smith & Wesson rimfire pistols.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Insane Totoro posted:

A lot of the other guys were packing some really ancient-looking Smith & Wesson rimfire pistols.
The Model 41 owns hard.

As a raw amateur you're not likely to see a huge difference between a nice .22 pistol and a really nice bullseye pistol. However, if you ever become competitive at bullseye it's basically a given that you'll move up to a S&W41 or a worked-over Ruger. Even then it still wouldn't hurt to have a Buckmark around.

Also, in general the logic to a long-barreled bullseye pistol is how it balances in the hand. Extra weight in the barrel is generally considered a positive thing. The long-barrels aren't inherently more accurate.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Yeah, those guys were just falling into the fallacy that everyone who is into a sport that uses expensive equipment is prone to - that beginners need to have the absolute top end poo poo that serious competitors use while they're still learning.

You see the same poo poo a lot in skiing, for example - people with a little bit of experience telling new skiiers that they need to have some insane set of competition skis and amazing boots/goggles/suit/other gear that totals out to costing as much as a good used car. The reality is that people who are just learning are never going to perform up to the level of that super-expensive equipment they just invested in, and by the time they're up to that level chances are they will have beaten the poo poo out of the really nice stuff making all manner of beginner mistakes or just using it enough to get good.

I don't care if it's skiing, shooting, golf, whatever - if you're a total newbie just get the minimum cheap equipment that will let you safely learn the basics. In your case this is going to be stuff like stances, grips, and marksmanship fundamentals. I'm sure you'll eventually run into a wall where you need a better pistol, but once that happens you'll know enough to make the decision yourself and you'll still have your dicking around plinker for when you don't want to risk loving up your nice competition gun.

As an aside, you'll also notice that it's always the middle tier of people in these sports who advise newbies to buy stuff that's way too expensive. A lot of the time it's just a bit of self-ego stroking and wanting to feel superior by rattling off all knowledge that they're starting to develop about gear to someone who knows absolutely nothing. The people who REALLY know their poo poo have usually reached the point where they don't give two shits about equipment, because they're at the point where they're already using the best stuff and concentrating on how they can improve themselves - and the really good guys always have some beat to poo poo loving around equipment for trying stuff that they don't want to screw up their nice stuff doing. I"ve seen REALLY good skiers on some REALLY clapped out, old skis do some insane poo poo on mountains.

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

Uncle Caveman posted:

Yeah, but what are you gonna do about it? You can't even own a real gun. :crossarms:

Guy with the 870 was a Brit visiting with someone at the range during a VA/DC meet last year, he got a kick out of trying all our :911: stuff. We usually do some informal clay shooting, turns out he'd been a trap shooter for years and absolutely destroyed all of us.

I do a bit of hunting with my Dad from time to time, but...yeah. I'm not going to destroy anyone at clay, either - I've got a bit of cross-eye dominance going on which I struggle with a little. Don't get enough practice to sort it out.

Cyrano4747 posted:

You see the same poo poo a lot in skiing, for example.

Oh God, true that. I used to do a bit of boot fitting, and the number of super-rich Russian beginners who had me shoehorning them into the latest agonising race Atomics was absolutely crazy. Must have hurt like bejayzus.

hairysammoth fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 17, 2010

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

hairysammoth posted:

Don't get enough practice to sort it out.
That's why you need to swing down DC-way on your trip. ;)

Although I don't know if "bumpfiring an AK at a derelict kitchen appliance in the middle of the forest" is really the most beneficial practice regimen...

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, those guys were just falling into the fallacy that everyone who is into a sport that uses expensive equipment is prone to - that beginners need to have the absolute top end poo poo that serious competitors use while they're still learning.

I figured. I think I can also do without the $200 gun tote with integrated telescope, right? :)

Pitch posted:

Also, in general the logic to a long-barreled bullseye pistol is how it balances in the hand. Extra weight in the barrel is generally considered a positive thing. The long-barrels aren't inherently more accurate.

Is there any particular Buckmark that is better than the other long-barreled Buckmarks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Gtab posted:

Thank you for the update. I had an oh-poo poo moment the other day when I got a call from a restricted number. The only restricted number calls I'd gotten recently had been about HCC.

Turned out to be a software salesman.