Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Locus posted:

I'm also pretty sure it's very difficult to create and maintain a foolproof "one-step" AR-15 receiver machine.

Fully half the machining is cosmetic or at the very least non-critical. If the clients didn't care so much what they looked like, and/or depending on the type of mills at your disposal, you could get way closer to one receiver popping out per button-push. Here's an idea: figure out what steps need to be done to take an 90% forging and make it just barely functional. Write up your G-code, and have Bubba come hit the go switch. He goes and gets a cup of coffee (here's another idea: attach a coffee shop to your machine shop, so you get 'em from both sides!), comes back and picks up his ugly-but-functional, 100% legal untraceable blah blah buzzwords AR lower.

If you weren't married to the idea of a solid one-piece lower, bolting one together out of a few pieces seems like it would be really easy with some basic thinky-work.

edit: Thinking now about billet only, you could eliminate tons of machining passes if you made the receiver one continuous width along its entire length. Then you could sell custom extended trigger and hammer pins to fit your custom simplified lower design (cut them out of rod stock and make a hefty profit), or, for a fee, you could install the LPK for them.

walrusman fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Count Sacula posted:

Your post-postscript reminded me that I want a PPS for carry.

Need a safety so Glock is out (wife issues, don't ask...)
Want something way slimmer than most Sigs I've fingered since it's hot as gently caress here.
Would like to stay in 9mm.

The PPS seems like a winner on paper, but I can't find anywhere here (Tampa) to rent one. What's the word, TFR?

I really liked the PPS(s?) I shot. Very small, very manageable.

gently caress SIGMAS. The TFR hive-mind is, at least in my experience, fairly wise. Heed its advice, young newbie, and be much happier in the end. I would rather have a used Glock than five new Sigmas, no joke.

Bylzebub posted:

BLO gun stock refinishing questions:

Sounds like you did everything right, really. I've noticed some tackiness when I've done my stocks in the past, but that will go away. Lean them up so they're maximally exposed, and blow a fan gently over them for like three days. The place you do this should be room-temperature and as dry (low humidity) as possible. Move the air around it and the tackiness will go away, promise.

You shouldn't need Feed-n-Wax after using all that BLO, but if you use it, let me know what you think.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

NosmoKing posted:

WASR, Laminated stock w/2 30-rounders for $399. Do it or not?? I need a bump firing nun shooter.

That's alright but it's not gotta-do-it-now, never-gonna-see-that-price-again good.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

If you drilled a bullet before it was loaded, then what's the worst thing that could happen? I guess destabilization is a legitimate concern but that should only affect accuracy, not make them more dangerous.

I have never heard of tube-mag shotguns smashing shells over time. Box mag shotguns like the Saiga have a tendency to deform them slightly and mess up the feeding, but that's because the spring pressure is pushing in a dimension in which the hulls aren't very strong. I can't imagine that pushing on the hulls end-to-end would deform them much at all.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

eine dose socken posted:

That would be correct for Bavaria- we either say Scherzl or Scherzerl.

Also that Jackalope thing is a bavarian legend called the "Wolpertinger", which is a very popular legend/taxidermist joke. I don't know if it predates the American Jackalope myth, but it sure is widespread.

There's a nice specimen in the Munich Hunting and Forestry Museum- the image text states that it's main prey are "soft Prussian skulls"

When I was at that museum they had a ton of them on display, and a few for sale. I almost bought one but shipping something that large and fragile would be expensive.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

From a friend:

quote:

lol scope just for practicing long shots: so caliber ill be using would be 5.56 and .308. budget $200 preferred but if theres an awesome scope for a little more i can dig it. range: something reasonable. not going to be shooting anything over 400 yards.

This is going on a flattop AR in 5.56, dunno what he thinks he'll shoot .308 out of but meh. I'm thinking Bushnell or Nikon in that range but I own zero scopes.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

iyaayas01 posted:

<snip> being a petulant little "me me me" bitch <snip>

You don't have pictures. Jerk.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

NosmoKing posted:

(also nobody cares I bought a new gun)

Nah it's cool.

No one cares about my scope question either.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I use the cheapest Romanian steel mags I could get from AIM. Even when the Barackalypse was gearing up, they were like $8 apiece if you bought three.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Great, thanks for the info.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Aperture Priority posted:

Saiga 7.62x39, 3 10rd mags, 1 5rd, 500rds of wolf/silver and brown bear ammo for $525. Deal or no deal. Keep in mind this is California, and the cheapest FFL transfer I can get is $75.

So is that the price out the door, or what you'd pay before that $75 transfer? The ammo is $100. That doesn't seem like a great price on what's left, but in Cali I bet AK prices are pretty inflated. If you can't get a WASR or something equally cheap and awesome, I guess go for it.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Alasyre posted:

Those p220s might be a winner. I was initially leery of the 8+1 capacity, but I see that 10+1 mags are available. Never handled a Sig. Are these guns the poo poo?

You will 100% not be disappointed.

HOWEVER, the Sig frame is an aluminum alloy, so if you were sold on steel you should pack it in and buy a RIA.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Fremry posted:

I think I want to clean the hell out of my WASR. Problem is that the inside of the receiver has a lot of very fine metal shavings from where the magwell was milled out.

How do I go about getting these metal shavings out? Last time I tried it, I ended up with tiny metal shards in my fingers.

Hose it with WD40 or CLP (something aerosol that will not damage it and will come off when it's time to oil it), then hit the remainder with Qtips. I use so many Qtips when I clean my guns, it's not even funny.

Fremry posted:

I actually put the BLO on in March, and it's still a sticky mess.

Jesus. Wow. It really does get humid there.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Aperture Priority posted:

Ruger GP100 used. $450. Yes or no.

Nah, offer $380 or something.

Wait, Cali, right? Hm maybe.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Yeah gently caress those nazi deer man

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

thermobollocks posted:

Should Neutrogena SPF 70 last for 4 hours in direct sunlight?

I sure hope so but I was burned as gently caress yesterday despite liberal application of that very same product.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

wilfoy posted:

Several gun show vendors that I've seen put zip ties on the guns so the action can't even be opened.

At many shows around here, that's required by the people putting on the show.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Anyone who tells you that Glock ergonomics are as good as or better than those of a Sig is either a liar, a lunatic or was exposed to hearty doses of thalidomide in utero. Glock ergos are okay, and can be adapted to. Sig ergos are just far, far better.

edit replace "ergos" with "triggers" and you have another valid critique.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Glock 30+rd mags > Sig 30+rd mags, I guess.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Gtab posted:

hahahahaha draw and cock ahahahahahaha

But how else is the bad guy supposed to know that Now I Really Mean It(tm)?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Yeah but I bet your insides hurt like crazy the next day.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

iyaayas01 posted:

running jet engine's suction zone

Yeah I think I now know all I need to know about this. Jesus.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

From the corrections guys I know in Oregon, the policy seems to be that "deadly weapons" (including knives and even tasers) should never come into contact with prisoners. Towers, sure, but if you're walking around inside the prison you're lucky if you get to wear a belt.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Action-Bastard posted:

Yeah I forgot just how big it is... I'm near Salem so Eugene is just a bit too far south for me. I'll keep it in mind though if I'm in the area.

Hey PM me or email at g dot kendoll at geemale and we can talk. We just had a big PNW shoot at a BLM place about 25 miles out of Salem and I wouldn't mind going there again.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I like turtles posted:

I want cheap, decent OWB leather or polymer holsters for carrying at the range, etc. Would like to get one for a 5" 1911, Sig P226, and possibly HK P7. What should I be looking for, and expecting to spend? Or should I just get a generic "large semi auto" for the 1911 and 226, and just rely on my IWB for the P7?

Check Midway for Safariland paddles. They're very solid holsters and my dad got one for a G17+Streamlight for under $40.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Sig is great but too fat to be a single stack. Extra mags that will actually work are way too expensive, and you'll want at least one for carry.

Why is there no Glock on this list?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

If it's cheap enough to replace, just do that.

I can't quite picture how you'd end up with gas and shrapnel hitting your face from a single-shot .22 though. Weird. I'd probably take it to a gunsmith just to satisfy my curiosity as to why it was happening.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

gg posted:

Mystery solved I guess. Thanks.

Which makes it significantly less cheap. Sucks, I know.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

The Marlin 60 is the second most ubiquitous semiauto .22 rifle in the US but the tube-loading thing makes it a little less practical as a base for simulacra of tactilol Barbie dress-up rifles. Be wary of kits for converting a standard .22 to "assault rifle" type things. Most of them are total poo poo, a few are just kinda poo poo, and only a handful are really good. I like the Butler Creek folder on my Ruger but it's far from the nicest product in the world. Dunno if they make them for Marlins or not.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

quote:

new manufacture

It's a repro that someone is making, probably because Oz has some kooky-rear end import laws that makes real Moooosins way more expensive than in the US. That explains the new name and exorbitant price tag.

edit: to better explain what I'm getting at...

In the US, the gun market is set up in such a way that there are a few big players. For a new idea to hit the market, one of two things has to happen. Either a big company has to look at the market, say yeah there's money here, and then throw lots of money into R&D or licensing in order to release a new product; or a guy sitting in his garage has to look at his drill press, go online to get some quotes from a fly-by-night metals concern in Zhejiang province, and registers an LLC.

Big companies are often scared to release new products because of the investment up front. (exception: once a daring company has shown that something will stay afloat in the market, you can almost hear the tire-squealing sounds of the other makers rushing to copy it and steal some of the market share.) New guys are less afraid of new ideas because they see a niche that can easily support their small operation, but they often finance the whole thing by saying "hey won't this poo poo be cool, everybody who wants one give me (10x a reasonable sum) upfront and I'll get the guns out in three months." Stories of scams, assholes, criminals and general disaster are the norm in this sort of situation. Maybe a few guns eke out into the market before the garage guy realizes running a manufacturing firm is tougher than he thought and declares bankruptcy. These few guns go on to command princely sums on gunbroker, because the guys who originally bought them realize they aren't as great as promised, and look to unload them at artificially inflated prices to the next generation of people who come into the hobby saying "god it would be cool if they made ______."

This is why the gun market can often be described as stagnant and traditionalist, and why every halfway serious gun owner you meet can list off ten things from his "god it would be cool if they made ______" list.

That got pretty far afield but the point I'm trying to make is, that Mosin clone is probably one of the first batch of a rifle that some guy thought he'd make a living off of, and the maker has either gone under already, or we're already in the final stage of the process and one of the original buyers is realizing he paid like AUD 1500 for a cruddy 120-year-old Soviet-designed rifle, and hoping he can get some of his money back by harnessing the starry-eyed wonder of someone new to gun collecting.

edit 2: or based on that link, I am wrong. Either way, I can get a real one that probably killed Nazis for $90, so I'll pass.

walrusman fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 6, 2010

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I believe it's called silencertests.net or .com.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Guys I'm doing a little light straightening-up and I've noticed that I have seven different calibers of live ammo sitting on my dresser. This doesn't count the ammo sitting in my carry gun, and this dresser isn't even in the same room as the gun safe.

What does this mean?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Just shoot steel-cased, all of you. If 50 rounds of steel cased ammo wrecks your extractor I'll eat my hat.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

numba 2

needs more dog

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

priznat posted:

The beer of danish kings!

it was "red tick beer" that needed more dog

gently caress

Beer signs are perfectly acceptable for mancaves and apartments for people under the age of 30.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I don't actually know off the top of my head. My gut tells me that if you walked into most OR gunshops with a California DL they'd tell you to gently caress off back where you came from, you grass-smoking long-hair mumble mumble etc hey Clem can you believe this fag here wants to buy a gun with a CALIFORNIA DL har har. Either that or they'd assume it was some kind of sting to test if they actually knew the law, and they'd err on the side of caution. If you're going to be here long enough to buy guns, just go get your Oregon license or ID card I guess.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

You could just buy .45ACP and set the bullets back a couple mm farther with a hammer.

I see GAP at Walmart periodically but it's the same price as the other less-common calibers like .25 and .32, which is to say "way more than I want to pay." I'd consider it if I reloaded, but when you can get used Glocks in 9mm, .40 and .45ACP under $400 all day long there's no good reason to opt for a moon caliber.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Seems like centerfire handgun calibers go 9mm < .38=.40 < .45=.357 < everything else.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Don't get a Sigma, yech. The trigger is abominable. Best advice is to shoot everything, and if you end up liking an expensive thing best (coughSigcough), save up a couple more months and get something you truly love. You'll shoot it more and have more fun.

Welcome to TFR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

If I'd bought a Glock as my first handgun I probably wouldn't be involved in this hobby today.