Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Sperglord Actual posted:

This question may be dumb but I'm a gun sperg and not a law sperg, so bear with me.

Last winter around Christmastime my parents gave me a Polish M44, which was really nice of them. The catch is that when they bought it they were up front about how it was for me, their son, who lives in the same state as them and has never been a prohibited person. I wasn't there, but apparently the guy behind the used guns counter in the sporting goods store told them that wasn't kosher. He let the transaction go through 'just this once' but told them they'd have to formally transfer the M44 to me later. I don't know what that was supposed to entail, although hearing it secondhand I got the impression he wanted us to all come back in with the gun and fill out a second 4473 on it or something. Fast forward the better part of a year, the Mosin is still in the parents' custody just in case, and has only been to the range maybe three times because we've all been busy with other stuff.

Now I haven't parsed the entire texts of the NFA, the GCA, the FOPA, et bloody cetera, but I've never heard of any restriction on private transfers between adult family members. The firearm laws here in Maine are pretty relaxed, and between the :byodood: gun show loophole :byodood: and that bit in the FAQ on the BATF's website which explicitly says it's fine and dandy to purchase a long gun for a juvenile child, I'm pretty sure the guy was misinformed/trying to cover his rear end in case of straw buyers/trying to dupe us into giving him more money.

So is this actually a thing and if so, what do we need to do before the M44 can sleep in my bed?

I don't see any issues after reading through this:

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/MESL.pdf

By the way, your state constitution's provision is written in a pretty :colbert: fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Roundboy posted:

Someone talk to me about Cheaper Than Dirt.

we were all taught to hate them, with the crappy catalog that you can never stop getting, the lovely products, the insane markups, and the excessive S&H fees.

But now i notice they sell guns, and the prices are pretty drat attractive. Cheaper then Bud's in most cases. shipping on the few items i looked at was a reasonable $11 for a pistol. Specifically they are selling a threaded Ruger MKIII 22/45 for $30 or so less then summit, and with much cheaper shipping. They also have a CMMG .22 upper for $50 or so less then CMMG themselves are selling it for. Shipping was only $13 total vs CMMGs $25.

Why should I not buy these? Are they *still* bad people ?

I e-mailed them recently trying to find out what was included with the Beretta Neos, because they had the lowest price I've seen ($204 when I last checked), and they basically told me, "We sell inventory so fast we don't keep track of what the factories are sending us." (I was suspicious because I've seen some video reviews where people said they had to buy their second magazine, instead of it being included, and their site didn't list the included items.) As a result, I ended up looking locally, and I found a little gun shop with nothing but 5 star reviews that was willing to order the pistol I wanted for $225 plus tax ($241 total). The way I look at it, if S&H was $10, and the FFL was $10 (that's the cheapest I've seen locally), I could spend the extra $15 and get it faster with my local dealer, support a local business, and pay sales tax instead of shipping, which helps the local government. See what you can get as far as a quote from some of your local shops before you order. :unsmith:

If you do go with CtD, keep in mind that a lot of negative reviews online are from people who are pissed that they have to spend more in shipping for items from different warehouses, which is a non-issue if you're buying a single item.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

I have one eye that is utterly horrible, and one that is nearly perfect. My eye doctor has been telling me to get surgery for some time now.

I just can't bear to think about anyone hacking on my eyes. :ohdear:

I don't blame you. The tissue removed during the procedures to correct vision lead to structural weak points. Since the interior of your eye is about 2ATM, you run an increased risk of your eye exploding when you strain yourself. :science:

(You learn some horrifying poo poo if you go to graduate school to study vision.)

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

priznat posted:

Somehow I have my doubts that people are exploding their eyes from straining too hard on the crapper.

PRK just ablates some of the lens anyway, so is a much better choice than LASIK.

It's usually from athletic activity, if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9224456 (Reduction of structural integrity from various procedures.)

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Internet Wizard posted:

What age is it when eyesight starts to "level off"?

Your eyesight continuously changes throughout your life due in large part to damage to your retina (some of which is preventable, but some of which is just caused by unavoidable oxidative stress) and continual changes in the density (both optical and physical) of your crystalline lens (this is what causes cataracts). At some point, if you get thick enough cataracts, you're pretty much as low as you can go on vision, so I guess it'd "level off" a bit after you were legally blind.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

:psyboom:

Whether this is true or not, the prospect of it happening is horrifying.

Now that the subject has come up though, I've though about it today...I only need one eye done, so it wouldn't be a huge inconvenience.

Where does everyone order their rx safety glasses from? I'm trying to keep the cost as low as possible, since my work will reimburse a large chunk...free prescription shooting glasses would be the best prescription shooting glasses.

I picked up a pair of safety goggles at the chemistry supply shop of my university which are designed for lab work, but worked quite well for shooting over the weekend (definitely stopped some brass from hitting my glasses). They fit right over my glasses, and I believe they were about eight bucks. The arms a bit thinner than most of the safety glasses I've seen that are intended for shooters, but that actually makes them easier to wear with ear protection, as they have a little bit of flex to them.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Pitch posted:

These are probably good for keeping gas out of your eyes but I'm not sure they're rated for any kind of impact, which is a genuine concern when shooting.

I'm not one to talk since I make do with impact-rated prescription glasses that will stop shrapnel but don't shield the sides of my eyes.

The ones I've got won't keep gas out of your eyes, but I think they're polycarbonate that's designed to be able to handle popping glassware, and the UV filtering is a bonus if I ever end up using them outdoors. I think the ones on this page are the exact same ones I've got.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

While we're on the topic of boots, does anyone know where I can find a decent pair of men's 16 6E boots that are water proof (or at least resistant) and under $200? I haven't been able to find anything in the past year of casual searching.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Would dinosaurs get rabies? I don't think modern reptile can contract rabies, so my gut's saying "no".

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

They had a dextrous solution to a sinister problem.

This joke made my evening. I'll have to remember this for the next time I'm dealing with a righty who's left-eye dominant.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Steeltalon posted:

Does anyone have some good plans for building a vertical rifle/shotgun rack, or pistol rack? I'm not very handy and have done little wood working before. Could a complete novice attempt such a project?

I'm not the most experienced carpenter by any means, but a long gun rack seems like an excellent beginner project. If you're going to be using a jig-saw to cut everything, I recommend making a paper template first, and matching up each relevant position against the gun you want in there (assuming you have the guns already). That lets you make your design adjustments with a pair of scissors, instead of with hours of elbow grease and tons of sandpaper. Plus, you can fold the template in half across each notch before you cut it, so you get perfect symmetry when you're outlining the pattern onto the wood.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Ceros_X posted:

This sounds dumb, but you should also make sure your foam ear plugs are fully inserted all the way into the ear canal, not just chilling in the opening. For me this involves weird ear acrobatics.

Then double up. If you are hearing any ringing in your ears it is the sound of your hearing becoming permanently damaged!

This doesn't help with most of the rubber, reuseable ear plugs, but with the foam, disposable ones, it took me years to realize I could roll them up really thin while pressing on them, insert them as far as they should go, and wait for them to expand in place (instead of just trying to jam big spongy earplugs in there).

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I just want a set that go, "SqueeeEEEEEE," when you turn them on, like in Splinter Cell and Silence of the Lambs. Can you get a cheap set that do that?

If I'm not mistaken, that noise is just the sound of a high voltage capacitor being charged. (You can get just about the same noise from a disposable camera's flash system.) I imagine you could add the parts to make that sound, but at best, you're just voiding any warranties and burning through the batteries faster.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

spankmeister posted:

And increased risk of shock to the eyeball.

Camera flash capacitors hurt. :saddowns:

Yeah. I worked in a photolab for a summer during my undergrad and probably got shocked about three to five times a day disassembling disposable cameras. It's creepy when you hit the anode and cathode with separate hands and can feel it across your chest.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

hahahahahahahahaha holy gently caress what?

Seriously?

They don't have some kind of jig or something to hold the camera, or a special grounded and insulated tool to yank the capacitor with or something?

I mean, gently caress, I get that college student labor is cheap but "just yank it apart with your hands, you might learn what electricity feels like in your heart!" is getting into the same neighborhood as 3rd world children recycling electronics for precious metals.

edit: I mean, I know nothing about how that business works, so I"m probably way way wrong, but it seems like you could kludge together a design for a jig and a tool to do that with in about ten minutes of hard thinking, and probably build it with crap from Home Depot in an hour.

The tool we had to open the disposable cameras was one made by Kodak to open them up. It was basically an inch and a half wide prying tool. If you hit any of the anode/cathode pairs (and there were half a dozen to a dozen contact points, depending on the manufacturer) you'd get shocked with 330V (though, fortunately, a very low mA value) because the boards are designed to automatically recharge as long as the camera's "on" and the batteries are still good.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Paper Diamonds posted:

Bit of a weird question: my dad says he was recently watching a show on history channel (or maybe discovery) that was an actual photographer with soldiers in Iraq. He said that they were bragging about their self purchased armor and helmets because of the issued gear being lovely. He also said that at least one of them had brought his own sidearm. This all sounded ludicrous to me. I was wondering if anybody had seen this and if it is an actual reality show or if my dad is just confused.

That was actually the point of a lot of controversy a few years ago.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Timbuk2 bags are a bit expensive, but I've never heard anyone with one complain about it (I've had two former roommates who practically lived out of their bags at times). Apparently they have an e-bay outlet that's a good bit cheaper.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Linux nerds:
code:
sudo
Do you pronounce it "sue dew" or "sue doe"?

I say "sue dew"

I'm inconsistent about it, but it really should be "sue dew" (as you put it), since it's short for "superuser do".

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

Huh. I had no idea the stuff was as cheap as it is.

I'm tempted to buy a can to carry at school. How is OC typically treated? As a weapon? Or is it usually OK in otherwise weapon-free zones?

I'm at UGA and mace (and a whole host of other stuff) is considered a weapon, but I'd guess about 20-30% of the students/faculty/staff carry it, and I've never heard of anyone getting arrested for it (including a former roommate's coworker who accidentally maced a library when hers was set off and the nozzle got stuck open).

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Weird. I've heard the same about Emory, but GaTech PD openly recommends students carry pepper spray. I guess it's not a hard and fast University System of Georgia rule.

Still, I'd rather be tried by [your school's academic disciplinary tribunal] than carried by [cremated].

Georgia Tech is the only school in the state where I've heard students say they were afraid to be outside after midnight for fear of their lives (in contrast, I'll walk past housing projects alone at 3:00 AM in Athens). I'm surprised their police don't recommend people carry firearms.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

For the first time, I realized I had a question that would be more appropriate here than in the newbie question thread, where someone said:

cknoos posted:

...I'm spending a fair amount of money on something, I want to like the look of it. ...

Relating to this particular portion of cknoos's comment, if you took someone's advice and bought a gun that was everything you wanted (accurate, affordable, comfortable, etc.), except you hated the aesthetics, would you grow to like the way it looked, assuming it was always too good (even if you thought it looked bad enough that people would judge you for owning it) for you to want to sell it? I'm curious about what others think, as I haven't given the matter much thought before today.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Were mercury fulminate primers being used at this time?
Mercury does some crazy poo poo to aluminum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Ilxsu-JlY

Edit: \/ Good to know. \/

poeticoddity fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 15, 2012

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Hey TFR goons, was thinking about this today and was hoping to ask if any of the people who post in this subforum have ever had to use their concealed-carry. I'm sure as it's a pretty small community here that even if someone who has doesn't see this post, someone else will have heard of it. Many thanks in advance.

My father (who has a carry permit) managed to convince a guy to climb back down the fence and leave at one of his former workplaces (people tried to hop the fence regularly to steal tools) by giving the cylinder of his revolver a decent spin and loudly slapping it back in while sitting near by in his truck in the parking lot. I think that's about as pleasant of a story as you'll hear out of anyone who felt the need to pull their weapon.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

PyrE posted:

Just found out that my grandpa has macular degeneration and is having a hard time seeing through his current rifle scope. Since Christmas is approaching I was thinking of buying him a new one. Anyone have any recommendations? His current scope is an adjustable one(I think 1.5x to 7x). Some quick googling has told me to look for ones with long eye relief. Kind of in the dark here and could use some help.

I don't know much about scopes, but MD is one of the specialty areas for my entire lab. Assuming you can find one he can try out in advance, you might be able to find a circular reticle that's larger than the impaired area. If the visual axis is centered on the midpoint of the circular reticle, I would think that would be manageable as long as magnification was sufficient.

[Also lutein supplements (10mg or so, and not just the trace quantities in multivitamins) and/or increased dark leafy green vegetable intake may help slow progressive damage.]

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Lutein like luteinizing hormone?

Lutein is an antioxidant pigment found in egg yolks and some vegetables and fruits. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutein

Macular pigment is a mixture of lutein and several isomers of lutein that's embedded in the macula. This concentration in the macula filters out damaging, high-energy, short-wave light (which would be more deleterious in the macula than the rest of the retina), provides an antioxidant reservoir for the macula, and helps improve several visual functions (e.g. reduction of glare disability and reduced photostress recovery time). Higher concentrations of lutein in the retina are strongly associated with a reduced risk for age related macular degeneration and better general visual health. If your dad's ophthalmologist or AMD specialist has a macular pigment densitometer (most them use heterochromatic flicker photometry, raman spectroscopy, or a reflectometry technique, but I've only used the HFP systems) they should be able to find out if his MP levels are outside of the range where lutein suplementation would be a good idea, but unless he's got a unusually good diet, that's unlikely. For my M.S. thesis, I demonstrated a method for improving the speed and accuracy of a HFP for measuring the density of macular pigment in the eye.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Ozmiander posted:

Now how about in 14EEEE?

I'd be thrilled if anyone knows of any companies that make (non-custom-fit) boots in 16 6E. The closest I've found are Dunham's, which are closer to tennis shoes than proper boots.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Internet Wizard posted:

Just climb down from your bean stalk and make the villagers slaughter a herd of cows to craft you some new boots.

I was going to say that was cruel, but then I looked at the two pairs of shoes next to my desk and thought about how much of a cow's surface area they would comprise. :sweatdrop:

Edit: Also, it looks like Danner doesn't make anything larger than a 14EEE.

poeticoddity fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 14, 2012

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Arcaeris posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a good case for a shotgun? (28" I think barrel)

I went to pick the shotgun up today at Turner's Outdoorsman after my 10 days and got there 30 minutes before closing. There were 100 people in the store, and it's tiny. I just came in for a pickup and still had to draw a number, and I got 62. They were at 28. At around 8 PM, an hour after they closed, I finally got my shotgun and was able to leave.

They had employees who showed up for their holiday party decide to clock in and help out since there were so many damned people.

I could see the hype in other states, since to me a magazine capacity ban seems likely (or at least more likely than it ever has before), but in Californa we already have magazine capacity bans. And bullet buttons. And all kinds of other "assault rifle" rules. Why the dude in front of me in line would buy 3 $2000 AR-15s at once because of this tragedy is unknown to me. Also apparently "everything AK or like an AK is way sold out."

Not a recommendation for a case, but a general suggestion. Make sure you get a measurement of the interior of the case (and your shotgun) before you buy it if you have a 28" barrel. I bought a (shamefully flimsy Plano) case based on the reported exterior measurements (which I thought were interior measurements) and found out when I got it home that even diagonally, my 28" barreled shotgun did not fit while assembled (by about a quarter of an inch).

It's not as big of a deal anymore since I got a shorter barrel, but I definitely would have bought a different (and probably better) case if I'd known that would be an issue.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

Only if you sold a bag of stupid along with it.

No. You're fine.

See, the problem with putting you stupid into bags is that you get the "with intent to distribute" thing tacked on the end.

That being said, OptimusMatrix, sorry to hear about your friend. :(

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Once a pistol, always a pistol. You can remove the Glock frame from the PDW Carbine kit, put the Glock bits back on, and it's perfectly legal to have as a pistol.

I was under the impression that once you put a buttstock on it, it changed legal standing, which was why there's a page and a half of big, scary text with the Beretta U22 Neos carbine conversion kit.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

wilfoy posted:

There is absolutely nothing illegal about removing the stock from an SBR.

Related note: When was the last time the ATF went after an NFA violation without that person also facing other major felony charges, anyway? Ruby Ridge?

It would appear that the Neos carbine conversion kit I was thinking of avoids the SBR regulation anyway because it has a 16.25" barrel, which exceeds the 16" limit, and Beretta finally got a ruling from the ATF shortly after I stopped looking at it (mostly because the conversion kit is about the price of a .22 rifle) and stopped their scary legal warnings.

Once again I am shamed by my ignorance. :sign:

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Exit Strategy posted:

When the last Bond film came out there was a minor "HEY WE SHOULD DO THIS" about the palmprint-recognition PPK. What a lot of people who haven't ever delved into that field don't recognize is that verifiable identification, particularly biometric identification, is really really hard. Literally everything changes or can change. Your irises reorganize to the point where a scanner is useless about once a year. Retinas, half that. Palm prints, once every two to five years assuming you don't have cats with sharp nails or suffer any other kind of cut. So unless the goal is "make a gun that nobody can use", having any sort of 'smart' biometrics reader in a weapon is a bad idea.

I had to get my hand re-scanned between my freshman and sophomore year of undergrad because it wouldn't read any more. This wasn't even a fingerprint scanner or something that's normally subject to a lot of noise - this was a scanner that just made sure that your hand was about the same size as the hand on record with your ID number. My summer job had changed the shape of my hand enough that it wouldn't work anymore, but one of my buddies' girlfriend's hand would scan just fine in lieu of his.

The thought of this on a gun is terrifying.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

EX250 Type R posted:

What is the different between a laser diode and a Laser Emitting Diode

Lasers are a single wavelength, usually columnated-ish and of a coherent phase. LEDs emit multiple wavelengths. Drop-off in intensity for LEDs tend to follow the inverse square law while drop-off from lasers has far more to do with scatter. Even on break from my lab, I can't stop thinking about vision science and optics. :(

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

loving ticks loving overgrown shooting range. Seriously is there something cheap and effective in turning the overgrown field that's our local range into a barren moon landscape?
Glyphosate. The patent ran out on Round Up, but you'll most likely find it cheaper if you avoid the trademark.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Gtab posted:

(it is super duper easy mode cancer and will be fixed shortly and i will remain ballin' out of control and will continue wasting my second lease on life by posting all day)

Glad to hear. TFR would be a sad place without the regular, grouchy Gtab smack-down.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

martinlutherbling posted:

You think having tiny feet sucks? Try finding a pair of size 13s to try on at any given store. You know what they say, big feet, sore palms.

I miss shoe shopping as a size 13. 16EEEEEE, which apparently means your only options are either a small subset of New Balance shoes or shoes designed for diabetics. I've been looking for a proper pair of boots for over two years. :argh:

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

I still want an AR lower engraved with "Contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer."

When I eventually get an AR, that would be some serious competition against my originally planned Judges 1:19.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Totally TWISTED posted:

What is the best way to control the humidity in a safe without a hole to run power? I assume a battery powered unit of some kind. Ideally with decent battery life and maybe I'd have to empty accumulated water every week at most. My safe is no longer in a climate controlled room after my move which is why I ask.

If your save is reasonably airtight, you're not opening it too frequently, and you're just looking to drop humidity (and not set it to a specific level), there are some reusable descants (which are baked in the oven after they're spent) which might be what you're looking for.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

My apologies if this has been posted recently-ish and I've just missed it, but in case this is helpful to anyone, there's an interesting Defcon Talk about gun safes that focuses on the smaller ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Uncle Caveman posted:

Also be sure to wash your hands reeeeealllly well before using the toilet. :dong::supaburn:

When I started cooking with Bhut Jolokia peppers a few years back, I still had some remnants on my hands when I went to take a leak and that burn lasted for several hours. My current decontamination system is three repetitions of hot water, soap, more hot water, a 50:50 mix of water and rubbing alcohol from a spray bottle, and more hot water. I wouldn't recommend it for use on one's face or genitals, but it works quite well for getting everything off your hands.