Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Magpul CTR: All polymer construction, yes?

As in, won't show up on an X-ray, yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Not a suspicious question at all, you see

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Pitch posted:

That's not how x-rays work.

It appears to be, as I went through an airport security check this afternoon with a Hogue AR pistol grip in my backpack and could not see it when I was looking at the X-ray screen as my backpack went through

Really don't give a poo poo what the CTR costs

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Yes okay we get it, you're smarter than all of us

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Bhm posted:

I'm buying a "high end" rifle and I'm choosing between a SAKO TRG 22 or a pimped out Remington 700.

Here's a pic of the SAKO:

And here's what I was thinking of when pimping the poo poo out of the 700:

So, it's a Remington VTR in .308WinMag stuffed in an Accuracy Intl. AICS-stock. Any opinions on those two? I've heard good things about both and none of them seem to be a bad purchase. The SAKO is awesome straight out of the box while the Rem will take some work. Any opinions on the VTR? How much work does it take to get it to shoot nicely? I'm not thinking of shooting anything further than 3-400yards...

Does anyone know if the VTR is a straight drop-in in the AICS or do I need to modify the gently caress out of the stock? Is the JAE-700 stock a better option? Am I an idiot for considering any of these? Is my penis too small?

The JAE-700:

Hmm .300 win mag is kinda pointless for anything except shooting bears the VTR is a gimmick and you're really better off with a normal round barrel, any 700 of the appropriate action length will drop straight into the AICS, I know nothing of the JAE, if you can afford the Sako get it I guess does that cover it?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

omgLerkHat! posted:

That'll show those ne'er-do-wells!

Also hydrostatic shock isn't something you should put much faith in if your only evidence of it existing (or in this case having any real effect) is 'This admittedly poor analogy of human tissue moves about violently when hit with really fast metal bits, that has to have some effect!'. Common sense* would dictate that that would have to do something, and it very well might. However, unless you've seen some actual evidence that it actually increases the speed with which your target is incapacitated, it may as well not exist. Heavily jarring tissue is all well and good, and certainly can't be good for it. However, if you've noticed by being alive and not shattering into a thousand fragments when you fall down, punch something, or simply run around, human tissue is surprisingly durable. Peoples bodies regularly survive rapid, sudden decelerations/accelerations generating enormous amounts of force (like a car accident) as long as their spinal column and brain remain intact and none of their internal organs are seriously damaged. This sort of thing is also why ammo that is advertised as 'delivering all the energy to the target!' can be written off as advertising. Energy transfer and Hydrostatic shock are both things that should not be taken into account when trying to estimate or predict a round's performance. If you really want to kill something reliably, permanent (not temporary cavity) damage to the CNS or vital organs is the only way to do so.

Ok so I haven't read most of this argument, just this one post, and I have no context.

I don't know if I'd call it hydrostatic shock,

but when you shoot an animal in the chest with a big heavy bullet going fast that expands well and makes a bigger hole, it dies faster than the same animal shot in the same place with say a .223 FMJ that doesn't expand. Bigger hole = faster death.

Now my actual question that I popped in here to ask:

Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy an Aimpoint CompML2?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Flaming Iguana posted:

Apparently later production M2s may have longer battery life than their tech specs would indicate:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=76544&postcount=13

gimpsuitjones, if you haven't had the chance to look through an aimpoint you should probably do it before you buy. My vision is pretty bad and even with my glasses on, the aimpoint dot is a bit distorted, but still usable.

Also the M2/ML2 only comes with the 4MOA dot, if that matters to you.

I have no issues with eyesight, and have used a fair few aimpoints without issue. Just wondering what real advantages a M4 gets me over an ML2 or even a micro T-1.

I need NV compatability and I kinda like the looks of the ML2

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Yo gimpsuitjones while you're here do you have any opinion on the actions and set triggers of CZ rifles?

Depends which ones. Nice hunting rifles. The 527 annoys me because the mags are too short to stick a 1:8 twist barrel on it and shoot decent 75gr+ bullets (.223)

Set triggers don't appeal to me but that's a personal preference.

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 19, 2010

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What's the rifle that Al Pacino shoots Tom Sizemore with in Heat?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I want one.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Cycloneman posted:

e: Also, neither a hippy nor on welfare.

Why the gently caress not? What have you got against people on welfare?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I wish people had never started measuring groups in terms of MOA. It's one of the most horribly mis-used terms in the shooting world.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Anyone familiar with the Molot Vepr? What can you tell me?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Requesting Eric Bana thisismysafety.gif

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Where's a good place to buy tactical poo poo from that will ship international and has a decent selection of gear

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Where to buy tactical things? Ships international? Good selection?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

where can i buy a woolen shemagh

also my other question

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Ok so I was idly looking at Airsoft poo poo, wondering, does it fit real ARs? stocks and grips and so forth.

that's my first question.

My second question occured to me when I saw this

http://www.ebairsoft.com/aabb-vltor-style-lower-receiver-black-p-2946.html

It looks an awful lot like a real lower, could you slap an LPK and an upper and whatnot on that and have it actually work? The lower takes gently caress all pressure in an AR right?

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 1, 2010

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

SadWhaleFamily posted:

Is Smart Reloader a terrible brand for reloading? They've got some relatively inexpensive, on-sale items at CDNN right now.

Would this turn into a case of "buy cheap, buy twice," where the twice you buy is the new health insurance to cover the cost of missing body parts?

Yeah it's pretty bad. Their digital scales are annoying to use, always lose zero, don't weigh consistently. I have a tumbler of theirs and it suuuuuuuucks compared to my lyman turbo 1200 or whatever it is. The one that cost twice as much actually cleans things. The smartreloader doesn't. at all.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Excedrin posted:

I read somewhere that a specific SmartReloader press is made by Lee, someone else was saying that it's not, it's actually unlicensed Chinese copies of Lee designs. The same thread had someone else saying something along the lines of the ram being significantly smaller than the hole in the frame. So, probably yes.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=76123

ew copying lee that's.... low

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26823/Product/AR_15_M16_ONE_O_CLOCK_OFFSET_RAIL

good? bad? anyone used an offset dot sight with a magnified optic? Does the theory actually work as well as a dot sight as the primary optic? Would like to see pics of it mounted.

is there an alternative product that I can get without brownells shipping me a box that says AR15 all over it and causing me to have to gently caress around getting permits for customs etc? I know there are lovely cheap ones made by doublestar or some poo poo but they look too high profile for my scope to clear them, the DD one looks nice and low.

I wanna try one on my 10/22 for rabbits. 2-7x33 burris FFII tactical on top, burris fastfire on the side

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 6, 2010

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Ok questions.

5.56x45mm, the poo poo that fragments: by design or just a happy co-incidence

Also,

5.56x45mm being used because it wounds not kills so it takes more resources from the enemy. Retarded, but give me some good convincing reasons why.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Does anyone else get random PMs o'crazy from our resident nutjob?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

walrusman posted:

On a hot day, everyone should put their underwear in the freezer while they're in the shower and then get out and put on the nice cold underwear.

I put my jocks in the clothes dryer while I shower on cold days, toasty nuts ahoy

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Anyone used Surefire Sonic Defenders? Those $14 earplugs? I have a couple sets I got from Brownells sitting at home in NZ and haven't had a chance to use them yet... along with the rest of the giant pile of gear I have there.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Why does Australia not have vending machines that take notes? Who the hell carries coins anyway.

Are there vending machines that take eftpos? Or credit cards? That'd rule

I JUST WANT A loving DIET COKE MAN

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I just bought a swag of multicam gear for hunting because I believe it will be great in my environment and REALMOSSYDIPSHITADVANTAGETREE camo looks fuckin gay

Multicam should work pretty well here:

Don't know how it would go in say, temperate rainforest, but I try to avoid going into those anyway.

I'm hoping it catches on and becomes more popular as there isn't a whole lot of useful gear around, at least that I can find

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I just got the Ottegear Gaiters and Windshirt. Also a multicam boonie hat and a (probably not real multicam) tshirt because I'm a fag. I hunt in gaiters/shorts/longjohns on the bottom end so no trousers for me. Unless it's heavy snow then I'll wear hardshell pants but then multicam would be useless. Might buy some BDU pants/shirt for varminting though, I've noticed that camo actually makes a diffence there. Lol someone make multicam hot pants plz. Is ottegear any good? I did no research at all.

Also am getting the Propper Softshell jacket when I get my NZ credit card renewed, my AU one won't work with their site for some reason. Currently it's only like $200 or something instead of $400 so it's a good deal, especially when I'm paying in AU$ with the high exchange rate. I was gonna buy the Arc'teryx combat jacket but it's so loving expensive and doesn't have a hood. The propper also doesn't have a hood (and doesn't have velcro cuffs, either :() but it's less than half the price.

I want multicam base layers and multicam mid-layers... something like this or this. I also want something like this

Also waiting on Eagle to do a run of their A-III Molle packs in multicam so I can pick one of them up. Unless someone can direct me to somewhere that has them in stock at a similar price to Triad Tactical.

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 25, 2010

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

All the Arc'teryx LEAF gear is sexy as gently caress and I'd buy it if I could get it in multicam

poo poo, I'm tempted to buy half it anyway

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Oh yeh there's shitload of them out there, I was just specifically after the Eagle A-III pack. Not in a real hurry to get it as I'm stuck in Australia currently and for the foreseeable future anyway

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What gear are you buying exactly?

LINKS

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Fang posted:

Wouldn't this gear discussion fit better in the gear thread?

Wouldn't this general question fit better in the general quest....

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I just discovered that I can mod my lovely 5rd M14 mags to hold 8! This makes me happy. They're still short and retarded though. Need some 20's.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I'd buy one. Or one of those sweet tiny Leupold red dots, they look boss

edit: these http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/prismatic-riflescope/ how cool do they look

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Probably, but I think they look fuckin stylish and that's all that matters, right?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Gtab posted:

theyre actually pretty ugly.

what is an optic that you find aesthetically pleasing?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Can anyone share info on taking a rifle to the USA? I want to go shoot some LR 'tactical' matches next year in the States.

Edit: just a bolt action. nothing amazing. no can or anything.

Double edit: Suppose I wanted to bring a can with me.

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 2, 2010

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Gtab posted:

Aimpoint M68 CCO in a cantilever, Aimpoint M4, the CR123 EOTechs, the normal 4x ACOGs, S&B Short Dots, US Optics MST-100s, some of the Leupold fullsize optics.

I agree, gently caress I want a MST-100 for a retro M40A1 build

S&B short dots are too long. The new 1-8x24 ones anyway - 29cm or something. 'short' dot my arse. I guess I have to wait for the next gen of 1-8x optics to get something sweet and compact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

BaronW posted:

Has there been any scientific evidence that barrel break-in provides a statistically significant improvement in accuracy over just going hog wild?

I used to be on the side of 'what harm can it do?'

Now I'm on the side of 'gently caress it, I'm too lazy'

I still feel that it can help speed up the process of wearing the rough spots out of a lovely factory barrel but I don't shoot any of those and I hate cleaning