Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Miso Beno posted:

The woodcuck could chuck 47 board feet of wood before he ran out of ammunition and died.

How much is that in MDF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

OWLS! posted:

I'm contemplating purchasing a handgun. What's the concensus on CZv82 vs. the CZ 75, aside from price.

They're both great guns, but for somewhat different reasons. What're you looking for out of a pistol?

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Also what is the best method of making a glock pink

with the blood of your enemies' children

Question: What's the deal with this gun:
http://www.x-ringsupply.com/files/Erma-Werke_6-51-765.jpg

An Erma-Werke KGP68A in .380ACP. It looks like Erma-Werke is (was?) a German company making other-caliber copies of the P.08. Are they any good?

If this pistol doesn't have a cute GELADEN loaded chamber indicator, I'm not interested.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Locus posted:

Also you are wrong the ideal handgun is a Sig P226.

FN Hi Power.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

KillianLett posted:

The reviews start out good then everyone says they hate it...

Might have something to do with it being organized by rating instead of chronologically...

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Why's the Waffen Werks AK-54R thread closed?

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

I like turtles posted:

What is the proper pronunciation of Mosin Nagant? (IPA first, then hackneyed attempt at a more readable phonetic spelling after)
I can get the proper pronunciation of Mosin by looking at the Cyrillic, Мосин:

/mosin/, mohi-seen

How about the Nagant? I know he's Belgian, but I don't know what the gently caress that does for the pronunciation of his name. I figure it could be:

/nɑgɑnt/, nah-gahnt
/nɑgɑn/, nah-gahn
/nɑdʒɑnt/, nah-jahnt
/nɑdʒɑn/, nah-jahn

My understanding was that it was /mosin/ /nɑgɑn/. Mssr. Nagant had a French name among Belgians, like Dieudonné Saive.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

GroovinPickle posted:

I am a huge pussy and refuse to shoot a centerfire rifle without both plugs and electronic muffs.

I am this way with indoor ranges. I can't get a good cheekweld on most rifles with muffs on, so I trust my AO Safety foamy plugs to save my hearing when I go loud outdoors with rifles.

bunnielab posted:

Also I have a compulsion to shoot every gun that I buy without ears just to see what it is like. Center-fire rifles are kinda loud but noting that makes you fall to the ground clutching your ears.

I guess you're not a sound guy. An AR-15 popping off a shot ten yards from me was more than enough to make me be certain of my ears

(Also making sure to CONFIRM range is hot, verbally, gently caress you other guy for not shouting for clear before deciding to shoot, even though we had the range to ourselves that day)

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

bunnielab posted:

This even brings up an interesting point, at what db level to engineers run pink noise at when they ring out a room? It always seems to flutter between the line of what I can stand unprotected and what I can't.

Obligatory sound guy joke:

What is the difference between a sound guy and Jesus?

Jesus would help you load a truck.

Basically, gently caress sound guys, those jerks. They're even lazier than electricians.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Sii posted:

My price range is pretty much anything up to $800.

Get two RIA Tactical 1911s: http://e-sarcoinc.com/pist-rockisltacticalm911a145pistol.aspx

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

rossmum posted:

Also, dity foreigner question here: the gently caress do NFA and AOW stand for? I know SBR but I only have a vague sense of what the former two mean, not what the letters actually signify.

NFA = National Firearms Act. This was the bill passed in the 1934 to combat mobster weapons possession (look up poo poo on John Dillinger and his gang, and you'll see why full-auto, grenades, and short-barreled stuff got regulated)

AOW = any other weapon. It's kind of a murky, ambiguous definition of any concealable gun that a private individual can have or manufacture that doesn't fall under short-barreled shotguns or rifles, like a pistol with a vertical forearm grip. I'm not hugely expertly clear on this whole thing either, other than it's $200 to make and $5 to transfer to another bank robber law-abiding US citizen. Also it kind of gives the ATF broad power to interpret anything they feel like as an AOW, as long as it's concealable, I guess.

edit:GODDAMMIT gently caress

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Disco Fitz posted:

Yep it does, here's a better image of the data stamp

Did it not come with a magazine?

But as other folks said, yes it's a Swiss K11. The Swiss have been using super-fun straight-pull bolt-action rifles since like 1889 or something. You can find some more info about your rifle here: http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/index.html and in the Milsurp Megathread.

People in the milsurp thread will probably cry over the sporterization of the rifle (like me, I am a milsurp fag), but they'll be able to tell you more about it.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

thermobollocks posted:

Has anyone here flown commercially with a firearm? In checked baggage, obviously. How has it worked out for you?

Fremry posted:

From what I hear, some companies are bad, specifically southwest.

I flew with Southwest the last time I flew with a pistol. It was easy as hell. I put the locked pistol case inside my larger luggage suitcase.

no one ever knew it was there

(Meaning, I told the airline rep I was flying with a gun. I unlocked the case, proved the pistol clear, filled out a tiny form, put the gun and form back in the case, locked it up, put the case in the luggage, handed the luggage over, and went on my merry way)

Roundboy posted:

See: Philly airport and LAX

I guess I got pretty lucky flying back to PHL

oh poo poo more words:

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Does anyone have a link to a good guide for photographing their guns? I have seen some amazing photography in here and I would like to be able to take some decent pictures as well. I know a lot of people use those homemade photo booth things (I think they are made of posterboard or something?) but I would love to see the specifics and any other tips to make the photos come out better.

I want to help!

Here's a link on how to make your own light tent, and another link to make your own lightbox. I have no other tips other than don't use the built-in flash on your point-n-shoot.

SadWhaleFamily fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 9, 2010

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Fremry posted:

Yeah, that's usually the case, but there are times when something new, not very popular, or obscure (especially in relation to C&R) that make it very very difficult to find.

when the .mil goons in TFR start going off with all their acronyms and abbreviations I just get so

Fremry posted:

Let's just all agree that Glock is the superior firearm. Ok? Good. That's settled.

"...no."

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

ChlorineTrifluoride posted:

Hydrostatic shock is part unverifiable hypothesis, part ammo marketing bullshit. No one can say for sure if it is actually true. Hydrostatic shock is the homeopathy of the gun world.

Homeopathy in the medicine/real world is pretty thoroughly shown to have no effect that's significantly stronger than a similarly-administered placebo. Is hydrostatic shock the same idea?

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Cycloneman posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask, but what firearm would you folks say is best for urban warfare? Thanks in advance.

Your mind.

:gong:

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Cycloneman posted:

Well obviously there will be defections from the police/military in this scenario, providing a professional section of the revolutionary armed forces. As a member of what would be in effect a revolutionary militia, I would only be useful to the extent that I could delay the military and/or police so that the professional sections of the revolutionary armed forces could come to the city in order to protect it and repulse the mainstream capitalist military.

well obviously

i mean when the police/military aka enforcers of the capitalist class will hear your side of the story and truly wish to fight on your noble side.

better red than dead!!!!

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Pitch posted:

Che Guevara loved the FAL.

See, no one's all bad.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Get a used fridge from craigslist and a padlock

urban camo and security, plus climate control

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Wrapping bacon in a paper towel and microwaving it for about 30 seconds makes it turn out pretty okay, too. Crispy edges and all that. My roommate (who always, always burns the bacon in the pan) tells me I am wrong, though she's never tried my method

EDIT: The Microwave Method is also the path to triple bypass.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

BrainGlitch posted:

It's also essential when you have the munchies at 2 am and everybody else is asleep but there's no loving milk for this cereal in the fridge, man, just fuckin bacon everywhere.

Why do you keep your cereal in the fridge?

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Gewehr 43 posted:

Just pour it off the aluminum foil and you'll be on your way to heaven (figuratively and literally!) in no time.

there is no survival of the consciousness after physical death

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Iron Squid posted:

Thanks!

Edit: What's a bullet button and why does my AR-owning friend complain about it endlessly? Does it have something to do with the allen wrench he's using to take his magazine out of his AR?

To the second question: yes.

Fully explained, it's part of CA law (maybe other places?) that require a fixed magazine that cannot be removed without the use of a tool on assault-rifle-style rifles. Interestingly, the tip of a rifle bullet counts as a tool. A "bullet button" is part of the mechanism that fixes a detachable magazine to a rifle to make it compliant.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Schiavona posted:

Can someone explain to me why I can purchase a CZ-83 in Massachusetts, but not a CZ-82? Is due to the wierd C&R status of the 82?

More likely than anything, considering it's MA, it's because the CZ-82 is a ZOMG MILITARY GUN and the CZ-83 is the commercial model.

No, it doesn't have to make sense. Best to just go to sleep.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I am in a similar situation as SynMoo, other than the considering CCW part (at least, not yet). The more and more I think about it, I think the first gun I buy after I go back to America will be a Beretta U22 Neos. Would this be a good thing? I only want a gun to have a fun, new hobby once I move back. And who knows, maybe I can start making friends

Insane Totoro in the .22LR megathread asked a similar question, and everyone there told him to just get the Neos already. Admittedly, this was because Mr. Insane Totoro-san could snag a Neos for approximately $100 after store credits and cash cards.

Neoses are very good things for plinking fun.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Lono was taken posted:

What's the general consensus on these motherfuckers?

Some goon has this gun and loves it (I can't remember if it's foghorn or The Stig, or neither!)

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

A buddy of mine has a Mosin Nagant 1891-1910 with an octagonal reciever, no bayo attachment, and is thinking of turning it into a sniper clone for hunting, using reproduction scope mount and scope with a nice turn-down bolt, and a match trigger. Is he potentially about to gently caress up a special/rare Mosin, or are these models a dime a dozen like the 1938s-44s?

Tell him to get a goddamn 91/30 from late WW2 and leave that poor Czarist-Russia-era Mosin alone, if he's gonna sporterize a milsurp piece.

(actually if we and I could get more pictures of it, we could tell you more about how rare of a Mosin it is. Still, he shouldn't gently caress with it.)

For more Mosin-Nagant info, check out http://7.62x54r.net

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

infrared35 posted:

A coworker of mine swears by them, but I've never had any first-hand dealings.

...which coworker?

I just remember your coworker(s?) from the dumb poo poo threads.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

I_like_turtles you have an awesome neurobiology story. I hope you show up in someone's paper or a peer-reviewed journal article.

Hopefully without invasive poking and prodding of your brain.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

I think you should pick it up, Fremry.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Lysandus posted:

I was looking at buying guns online and the site (centerfire systems) said they need your FFL on file.

Can someone explain this process to me? Wikipedia tells me its a federal firearms license so does that mean I need to get one to buy a gun from them?

Thanks.

No, you just need to contact your local dealer who will do your transfer for you, and they'll fax their FFL to Centerfire. Then Centerfire will know where to send you your gun so it can be transferred it into your ownership. This will be the case with every online gun ordering you will do.

If you have an FFL03 (Collector of Curio and Relics), you can file that with them as well.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Ophannin posted:

but try letting the nerves that make you twitch take over and then fire through the whole magazine in a very fashion. It's fun, and helps you realize the gun won't bite.

Am I right in thinking "What the poo poo is this gently caress?"?

It's at least a pretty expensive way to train out your flinch, and at most a highly irresponsible way to hit target carriers. Right on about going the .22 route, though.

the poi one way to help fight flinch is to develop a mental mantra. When you're on target and are ready to pull the trigger, place your finger on the trigger and start saying "front sight" over and over again in your head while focusing on the sight and steadily applying pressure with your trigger finger, until it goes bang.

Another similar way is to start counting up while steadily applying pressure with your trigger finger. In this beginning stage of trigger control, you should never be able to figure out which number you'll get to before the gun fires. It should always "surprise" you (not startle you and make you run away from guns forever).

(also do all these with a .22, because you'll have to run through a mojillion rounds for the best result)

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

GroovinPickle posted:

Avoiding a flinch when you're slow-firing is easy, but I'm interested to know how the really good pistol shooters can fire quickly and get back on target without flinching/anticipating.

Hundreds of thousands of rounds per year, similar thousands of dollars spent on training, and having no friends outside of competition shooters.

EDIT: QUESTIONE

Whatever happened to that one couple who were starting up a firearms podcast? I thought one TFR goon was doing that.

SadWhaleFamily fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 27, 2010

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Harry in Rio posted:

Anyone know where I can find a tang screw for a Type 38 Arisaka? I got paid in guns again. This one is pretty cool.

http://www.guns-for-hire.com/1911/arisaka38.JPG

http://www.guns-for-hire.com/1911/cutdown.JPG

http://www.guns-for-hire.com/1911/mum.JPG

The foreend was cut down to fit into a seabag. The tang screw is the only piece I need to finish this.

Also a Winchester Smooth Bore Model 67 (very cool), and stuff like JC Higgins .410's and an old Topper in 16 gauge.

That is pretty drat cool.

Give Sarco a call; they have a warehouse full of parts they don't advertise on their website. Possibly Numrich has some poo poo lying around too, though their site says tang screws are sold out.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Is Smart Reloader a terrible brand for reloading? They've got some relatively inexpensive, on-sale items at CDNN right now.

Would this turn into a case of "buy cheap, buy twice," where the twice you buy is the new health insurance to cover the cost of missing body parts?

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Sylink posted:

In my C&R book, do I need to add purchases of relics made before I had a C&R?

No.

edit: but you do have to record them if you sell them.

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Sylink posted:

What should I be looking at in AK-47s? I'd like a cheaper just for shooting and I dont need tons of fancy poo poo like bayonets, just a gun with sights that fires well.

I'm hoping to find one locally and I read through the giant AK thread but I'm still not sure what specifically to look for.

Sounds like you need a WASR-10. But find one with the double-stack magwell. WASR-10s were originally imported with a magwell that could only accept single-stack, 10-rd magazines, although they have been machined out by importers to accept double-stack mags.

I think they're still the budget AK that'll do what you're looking to do. AIM Surplus has a GP WASR-10/63 for $389.95

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

For all you lovely Golani Sporter owners out there (real Galil owners may not apply):

I am looking to get a scope/optics mounting option for my Golani. If it helps, mine is a GAL-serial gun. I have heard that the Golani dovetail for scope mounts isn't exactly IMI-spec, so maybe some mounts won't work?

Is this quick-release mount or this 30mm-ring mount compatible with the Golani?

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Drav posted:

So I'm over at Ammunition to Go because I need a case of 9mm for a training class. The Magtech 115gr is by far the cheapest at $172/1k, but is it fine to shoot with or is it dogshit?

You might find a better deal at gun-deals.com for 9mm Luger. As to Magtech specifically, it works fine for range use.

Also holy hell it's Drav; I've only heard of you in legend.

SadWhaleFamily fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadWhaleFamily
May 1, 2007

Is there any unmagnified red dot sight that can be mounted in a 30mm scope ring mount?

It's like I'm trying to dodge the tactical as much as possible by avoiding rail mounting but it seems I am trying my hand at retardation.