Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Gonna get this out of the way now

ANSWER ONE: Glocks suck.

u gtab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

wilfoy posted:

Since you didn't get many answers:

I have a Taurus PT1911 AR, and I absolutely love it. I've put about 1000 rounds through it now without any malfunctions. It's accurate enough for me to bust targets at 50 yards. The trigger isn't amazing, but for $600 it's a great handgun. I had to spray the frame out with brake cleaner and then RemOil, but after that it's been great. Go buy one and never look back.

I have a couple friends with them and they echo this. Now that you can't find SA Mil-Specs for like $525-550, this is really one of the best deals you can find.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Captain von Trapp posted:

I have a friend who's relatively newly into firearms ownership, and actually started in the canonical TFR way. His first gun was a 10-22, his second was a Ruger Mk III.

He has now decided the logical next step is a .50 BMG Barrett. He's already placed the order

Hey, I'm not complaining, I've never shot one before and am looking forward to it. My question is whether or not there's any authoritative source documenting proper break-in procedure (ie, that break-in is a meaningless concept on modern firearms). He has been getting bad advice on this score from the internet and I'd like something official-looking telling him that it's just unnecessary work and wear. Unless I'm wrong, in which case enlighten me.

Get him an account right now. poo poo I will help get him one. This guy sounds great.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

What's the word on the smaller Streamlight TLR3? They any good?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Uncle Caveman posted:

*I'm sure there are some bizarro long guns with DA trigger systems,

The AUG may as well be

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

I'm told The Coldest War is a good book and I'd like a good read on the flight to LA this week. Problem is, I'm seeing two books with the same title. One by David Halberstam (The Coldest War: America and the Korean War), one by James Brady (The Coldest War: A Memoir of Korea). Which one am I looking for?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Gtab posted:

im the guy recommending the Halberstam one in every TFR book thread.

the memoir might be a really good read too; havent read it. the halberstam book is a look at the conflict from varying levels of magnification all the way down the chain of command and has an absolutely enormous amount of data in it about all sorts of aspects of the war. it's really, really good. it's not as... personal? as memoirs generally are, since it's more of a retrospective on the entirety of the war, but it's an amazing read.

Awesome. Maybe I'll grab both then. Thanks

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

janklow posted:

having read the memoir, i will just add Brady's a decent writer (although he has written some garbage as well), but you're not looking for his book between the two of them.

OK I just got the Halberstam one so I'll leave it at that then. Thanks!

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

I like turtles posted:

I want to trade the PPS-43 towards it, but I figure best I could do is that plus $500-$600 plus tax.
I'd consider adding in my Springfield Loaded 1911, figure I could do that plus the PPS and maybe another $100-$200 or so.
But then I wouldn't have a 1911. I don't have any particular attachment to this gun, and I rarely shoot it, but I feel like I *should* have a 1911. If I could find an old one, I'd swap the Springfield out in a second, but... ehhh... I like revolvers because they're a lot of fun to shoot, I hear nothing but great things about the Dan Wessons, and this seems to be a pretty good price, but... ehhhhh.

Choices are hard

I wouldn't worry too much. 1911s are god damned everywhere so letting a deal pass right now probably isn't going to mean you never come across one again.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Speaking of books, I'm about halfway through David Halberstam's The Coldest War as recommended by Gtab and it is fantastic.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Ignoarints posted:

I hope you're right. I'm just cranky. I was just thinking about how I'd be paying by the hour and sitting there waiting for a cease fire. Or maybe wanting to change the distance but not being able to for a long while. But probably won't be as bad as I'm making it seem in my head.

It's not. I don't shooot outdoors very often but it's not bad at all. At most, there's going to be maybe 15-20 minutes in between cease-fires on a busy day. Also depends on the range as well. If you've got a place with a 1,000 yard range or something, gonna take a little time to get down to the targets.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

I emailed Franchi/Benelli about my old 48AL, saying forends and... that thingy that pops a round out of the magazine and onto the elevator were tough to come by. I got a response saying to call Mann & Sons or Carlson's. Anyone know these guys or have dealt with them before?

E: Also The Coldest War has been fantastic so far and I encourage anyone out there to pick up a copy.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Showin' Pennsylvania love itt

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Insane Totoro posted:

M&P9. Just sayin'

Didn't that guy defect to Canada?

Ron was Canadian-born, played for Philly, went to the Nordiques, and came back to Philly.

He's the assistant GM of the LA Kings these days.

Someone answer my shotgun question

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Am I crazy if I want a Beretta Cx4 really bad for some reason?

Are they pieces of crap? What should I get it chambered in? I was thinking 9mm but I really have no idea. How far can I expect to be firing this thing?

Nope they own.

There's really no reason to get it in anything other than 9mm unless you're reloading or just sitting on a shitload of .40 or .45. The rear sight actually is hinged and you can switch between "Short Range" (zeroed for 50 meters) or "long range" (100m).

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

hangedman posted:

Anyone?

IINAL and all, but I don't think you legally can. You'd still have the "15" (or whatever evil number) window on there, and it would probably be pretty easy to re-fit it for 15 rounds.

The second part, I got nothing. Sorry man

The Dregs posted:

I've been looking locally for a used Beretta 92fs. I found a guy who has a 92f for sale. He says it's pristine. He bought it 9 years ago and put about 400 rounds through it and hasn't fired it in 5. He wants 450. Considering that a new one costs 563 on Buds, is this a bad deal? Used gun prices are so high.

It's not a bad deal, but I'd probably offer $425 and certainly want to look at it first. If it's in as good a shape as he says, $450 is OK. How many mags?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

ilkhan posted:

kalifornia kalifornia

really?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

I like turtles posted:

Gun question: Extreeeeemly uncommon variant of an extremely uncommon firearm, like, possible prototype gun. If it is marked 9x18mm, how can I tell if it is 9x18 Mak, 9x18 Police, or 9x18 Ultra? I'm also seeing conflicting reports about 9x18 ultra and police being the same thing, anyone know anything about that?

I've always known "9x18" to be Mak, where's the gun from?

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

I like turtles posted:

Italy

Now you've got me curious about this gun. Is it some Beretta .380 they rechambered for 9x18 or something?

Because that would be pretty rad.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

I like turtles posted:

The AGM-1, brought it up once before in here. LSP has been very helpful in helping find even the START of ballpark pricing by finding an Italian classifieds site selling the Italian civilian legal 9x21 version. The seller isn't very good at the whole internet thing, I can apparently get conversion kits for 9x19, .45 and .22LR. For the 9mms, it takes BHP mags, which is pretty sweet. Yay weird goddamn guns that nobody knows anything about!
http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/3100/3104.htm
http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/3000/3009.htm

There may be about 50 of these platforms left in the country, and it's possible that this one is literally the only 9x18 whatever out there period, according to the guy's research, and the fact that zero mention of it is made anywhere else.

Well poo poo that is really goddamn cool.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Chantilly Say posted:

What are the advantages/disadvantages when comparing .22WMR to .17HMR? I'm thinking about getting a bolt-action rifle with a little more range than my 10/22, so I can scope it and plink out past 100yrds. I notice that CZ offers their bolt-actions in .22LR, .22WMR and .17HMR, at comparable pricing.

How do WMR and HMR compare to each other (range, ballistics, cost)?

Do I actually want a .223?

.22WMR in my experience is a touch less expensive than .17HMR, although that can vary based on whether the .17 is FMJ or ballistic tipped. .17HMR seems to be a more accurate round and will move quite a bit faster than .22WMR.

That all being said, .17HMR being so light a round, it will get pushed around very easily by the wind, and I know the .22WMR doesn't fare a ton better. If, like you said, you just want to get a Savage or CZ with a scope and wanted to plink at 150, maybe 200 yards, I'd go .17HMR before .22WMR.

NinjaRope is right that .223 isn't much more expensive, but you're also then probably going to spend a bit more on the rifle itself, reloading equipment (if you want to go that route), the scope, etc, so factor that in as well.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Mad Dragon posted:

gently caress that. You can pretend to be DENZEL.

Correct answer.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Gray Stormy posted:

RE: Water issue.

Culprit discovered. Water heater decided to poo poo its pants.

I swear to god if this kills you somehow I am going to reanimate your body just so I can kill you out of frustration.

Shut up, it makes sense in my head

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Yeah that could be worse. If you like it, go ahead.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Dick's has Marlin 795 and Mossberg 702 (and 802) .22LR on sale, which would you buy?

Marlin - 99.98 after rebate - listed as synthetic stock
Mossberg - 129.98 flat -xxxtreme forest c@m0

Get the Marlin. The mossbergs are pretty uninspiring.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Chemystery posted:

It was a range reload that either through my careless neglect or the range's mix-up got stuffed into the magazine. These 10mm were not +P or anything warm. Probably slightly hotter than a 40sw but nothing screaming.

My initial impression was that the bullet just bee-lined through the barrel. The primer strike was on the top 1/3 of the primer and make me wonder if that 10mm round just zipped straight through down the barrel without contacting the rifling.

Yea...

Seriously go buy a lottery ticket because that could have been a much worse situation

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

This is good a place as any to ask. Anyone have any experience with the Walther PPQ? It's supposed to have an absurdly short reset but that's all I've heard of it so far.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Totally TWISTED posted:

I finger hosed one, it was really nice and I want one now. I think the P99 looks cooler but in all other aspects I think the PPQ is an improvement. When I do get one I'd probably still carry the 99 a lot but the PPQ as a competition gun or range gun would be great. Holsters are possibly interchangeable and 2nd Gen P99 mags will work in a PPQ.

Online pricing seems pretty reasonable too.

Bitchin. Thanks.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Does anyone have a link to some actual tests about the 'falling bullet' being able to do damage? I'm talking about guns being fired in an upwards direction, and coming back down and killing people.

Mythbusters (ugh) tried it with, I think a Sig 239 fired straight up. Obviously it's going to depend on a ton of factors. Weight of the bullet, wind, angles, etc.

I'm sure it has killed people but there's really no way you could make certainties of it one way or another.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Man I just get a boresnake in whatever caliber I need and have done with it. Save you a shitload of time, especially on .22s or anything that runs particularly dirty.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Kommienzuspadt posted:

thanks for reminding me about that.

Seriously I don't know why every glock owner doesn't have one. Spray snake with CLP of choice, run it through once or twice, done. They were basically made for each other.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Man you can clean with what you want. I just find them useful for helping the process along.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

10/22

Cyrano4747 posted:

10/22

Cyrano4747 posted:

10/22

Cyrano4747 posted:

10/22

Cyrano4747 posted:

10/22

Cyrano4747 posted:

10/22

Cyrano4747 posted:

10/22

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Frankie posted:

The Remington 770 is the worst modern commercially made bolt action rifle in current production. The Mossberg is lovely, but the 770 is so far beyond bad it is ridiculous. The trigger is horrible, the bolt drags and jumps around and you can flex the stock by hand.

I am going to steer you towards a Savage rimfire as well.

Do they still make the 710? I remember those were pretty awful as well.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Insane Torito winning the lottery would pretty much ruin our fun, though.

At least, I always took him to be one giant forums-wide experiment in keeping a total stranger shackled to a life of soul-crushing poverty through the power of peer pressure alone.

Exactly. Insane Totoro is 10,000x more fun in this sense.

<3 u totoro

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

I saw a box of Hornady Steel Match 9mm yesterday and to my surprise, found they were hollow points. Two questions out of sheer curiosity:

1: Are JHP rounds the norm in competition, and if so, why?

2: Are the rounds themselves any kind of decent in self-defense applications? I'd assume not but if they're going to all the work of making a round really accurate, reliable, etc. I suppose I could see the application. Plus they were like $20 for a box of 50 rounds, which is pretty drat nice for JHPs.

To be sure, I'm sticking with my Gold Dots for defense, but just something I was wondering.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Most top end match grade bullets are JHPs as it lets them be more consistent. They are NOT designed to expand and should not be used in any role where damage is necessary (self-defense or hunting).

thermobollocks posted:

1. In pistol, far from it. The norm is "whatever gets the job done cheapest." I see tons of lead, Montana Gold, etc. Match rifle bullets are a different story.

2. Nope.

That's what I figured. Thanks guys

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I know it gets asked every now and then, but what's the skinny on flying with a handgun?

-Lock it (using a non-TSA-approved lock) in a difficult-to-pry-open case.
-Place that case inside my suitcase. Are there any restrictions on the suitcase? Does the suitcase need to be separately locked? Can I put a box of ammunition in the same suitcase?
-Inform the person at the luggage counter that I have an unloaded handgun in my suitcase. Is there any specific verbiage I should use here?
-The TSA comes by, I open the suitcase (and the gun case?) for them, and they inspect it. I keep control of the key(s?) at all times.
-When I get to my destination, do I just pull my bag off of the conveyor like everybody else?

The destination honors my carry permit, so no big issues there.

I'm almost positive you can't have ammo with it at all. Check your airline's website as well. They should have directions and such.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

ilkhan posted:

My complaints about the M&P trigger is less about the feel/reset and more about the stupid rear end hinge. I know they didn't want to straight copy the glock/XD mechanisms, but drat that thing is awful.

I loving knew I wasn't the only one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Uncle Caveman posted:

Yes but sooner or later, you're going to want to listen to something other than Foghat.

That's where I drop in my Jesus Jones cassette