Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Fang posted:

They leaf much to be desired.

Are you saying they fall short of expectations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

hairysammoth posted:

We've just found out that we've been accepted to a film festival in America, so we're suddenly gonna be around the Cape Cod area in August. We've decided to throw in some time for an impromptu holiday as well - do any kind TFR goons fancy taking some Brits to the range around then? I haven't shot anything more interesting than a double-barrelled shotgun since I farted around in the Marines cadets, and my missus has always wanted to try shooting. I'm sure the director and producer would fancy it as well - if nothing else, think of it as educational. You'll be ensuring that any future films they make are free of the more egregious firearms errors, at least.

Are there even any TFR folks in Massachusetts for that matter?

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Thanks! It's called The Drummond Will. It's a Hot Fuzz/Withnail & I kind of thing.

Us NH goons, with a few Mass goons, are hoping to get a shoot together for some weekend in August, probably the first or second weekend. If you're around the weekend we do it, I'm sure the other guys would be more than happy to have you join us. Keep an eye on the NH meet thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973237

If the weekend of the meet and your weekend in the area don't coincide, there are a few of us in the area, so I think you'll have some sort of luck in getting a chance to shoot something. If you want to drop a post in the NH thread about your availability and desire to go shoot some crap, I think that would be a good idea.

Also, from a fellow filmmaker, congrats on making it into a film festival!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

What preceded the current avatar? I missed it.

Edit: I guess I missed the last two, actually.

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 16, 2010

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

The markings on the rear sight of my M24/47 are in meters, right?

Also, one time when I was shooting my little break-top pocket revolver, there was this strange moment when, right as the round fired, I felt something graze my nose. It kind of freaked me out a little, but I shrugged it off. When I got into my car, I saw it was enough to draw some blood. I'm sure if it was more than just a graze, it would have gone through, it felt that fast. Anyway, the way it hit, is it went left to right across the top of my nose, slightly angled upwards. Now, I was wondering if this could possibly be from a piece of lead shearing off the round and hitting me? My argument against that is, I would imagine if the round struck the mouth of the barrel, the piece of lead would fly straight back, hit my knuckles or arm, not rise up (I was holding it a little lower than I would if I was properly sighting it, because the effective range of that gun is like ten feet and I was shooting at fifty feet) and take an almost ninety degree turn to the right and hit my nose. But, I don't see any other way. No one else was on the range at the time. Looking at the barrel, I saw no evidence of it being hit by the round, but since .32 S&W is unjacketed, maybe it wouldn't do any harm to the metal. It only happened once out of the fifty rounds I fired, everything else went fine save for the two or three FTFs that happened, though I think that was a fault of the ammo (Remington ammo LOL). The gun seemed to lock up tight and was shooting alright.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Dutch are scum.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

hairysammoth posted:

Guys. I'm standing right here.

Also, hcc was taking the piss? Christ.

Well, looks like it's incumbent upon you to show us how rad a Brit can be at the meet.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Gtab posted:

Actually, HCC wasn't taking the piss. He really was depressed and contemplating suicide. A number of goons have contacted him since. He's still alive, and he's working to sort through his issues. Hopefully he won't off himself, but he has said that he is done with being a goon for awhile. Long-term depression is pretty poo poo for those afflicted.

Here's hoping he does get the help he needs. I've never suffered from depression myself, but both of my younger sisters had problems with it and while it was pretty lovely for awhile, they've both managed to pull themselves out of it and are much happier.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I have somewhat of a gun detailing question. I borrowed a nickel Hi Standard Double Nine .22LR in pretty good shape. I shot it, cleaned it, maybe over-oiled it with the intention of de-oiling it later, wrapped it in a rag and put it away for a few weeks. The rag may have have some Hoppes in it in addition to some oil. When I got it back out, a few square inches of the cylinder and barrel were no longer mirror-perfect and have a slight haze to them, which I can't seem to get out. Did I ruin the nickel? Is there some way to clean it up? My brother suggested toothpaste rear end he uses on his golf clubs, but I don't want to make it worse. Is there some kind of polish that might make my gently caress-up better? :ohdear:

Hoppes is no good for nickel and if there was some on the rag, it may well have marred the finish. I really wouldn't try toothpaste if I were you. Maybe try some sort of metal wax, like one of the Mothers line that is suitable for nickel. I would suggest wrapping it in a clean cotton cloth from now on if you have to wrap it in something.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

There was a book I think Cyrano recommended a while back during one of those "The Wehrmacht was just normal soldiers!" thing. The title was something like Ordinary Men or something similar.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Pitch posted:

Is this a question? The title was Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland.

Yes it was a question despite the lack of a question mark and thank you for the title.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but can someone recommend me a few good lever-actions with an "Old West" aesthetic? I have been looking at stuff like the Henry Golden Boy, but everything I can find has been in the $600-1200+ range, which is more than I wanted to spend. Are there any decent lever actions that don't look all modern (I hate the look of Marlin lever actions, for example) that don't cost so much, or are they all that expensive?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=176214730

Just check Gunbroker or your local shops for cheapo lever actions. They can be really drat expensive, but you'll find some that have been used a lot but are still plenty shootable for pretty cheap.

And Marlin does make some old school cowboy model lever actions.

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 1, 2010

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Aside from purchases from a licensed dealer and interstate purchases, when else does a transfer need to occur?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I seem to recall it being mentioned on here it being needed in cases of inheriting a pistol. Or would that just be if you inherited it from someone across state lines?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I think ducks are neat, aside from the whole rape thing, but don't shoot snapping turtles. They are far superior.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

What was the entry?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Come on, don't make me look through all the recently changed entries.

Give me a hint.

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 10, 2010

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

the ohmebaglod flag posted:

Now that is just asinine. How do the people in rural areas of CA allow poo poo like this?

They're too busy taking away the rights of gays to notice.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

pulphero posted:

I have a few firearm related items that are not worth putting up a classified add for but could use a loving home. Any chance for a new pay it forward thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3249132

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

It's cool, it was pretty far back.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Seems like fairly major setback to me. Out of safety concerns, I wouldn't shoot them. I think when they're setback that deep they present some kb concerns.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

FunOne posted:

and if I should contact my vendor to have it replaced.

I missed this first time I read it, but if you are getting decent amounts of rounds like this across a number of boxes, I think it might be a good idea to at least try and see if you can get a refund or some boxes comped or something.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Looks similar to the shells used in this weapon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADEN_cannon

A picture of a cutaway of one of the shells (30x113b):

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

How much do Greener harpoon guns go for and where can I get one? Or is there a more affordable and easier to find harpoon gun of the same style?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

What do you BP shooting guys think of the BP substitutes? Aside from being less corrosive, do they hold any advantage over BP?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

What's the site that helps you find dealers that do transfers and what they charge?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Out of curiosity, would current production 7mm Mauser be safe to fire in an old rifle (old=1894 or so)? Is it like current commercial 8mm Mauser, where it's loaded to older specs to be safe in the antique rifles?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I think my question might have been overshadowed by the brief Balls/Gtab love-a-thon, so I am reposting.

Detective Thompson posted:

Out of curiosity, would current production 7mm Mauser be safe to fire in an old rifle (old=1894 or so)? Is it like current commercial 8mm Mauser, where it's loaded to older specs to be safe in the antique rifles?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

So is thing safe to fire with modern ammo, or would that be a bad idea?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=181087186

Edit: Also, I've been eyeing this thing, which prompted my 7mm Mauser question earlier. Am I nuts for considering it? It looks pretty good to me, but maybe one of you sees something stupid with it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=180881032

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 29, 2010

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Pitch posted:

I would never touch it with real modern ammo. New-production black powder, maybe.

I assume that refers to the shotgun, right?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Black Hawk Down

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 3, 2010

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

It is the UH-60 Black Hawk, because the aircraft was named after the Sauk Chief Black Hawk. Ergo, it is Black Hawk Down.

Yeah, yeah. It was an honest mistake.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Disregarding the beer companies themselves, which of these is cooler, TFR? I'm having a hard time deciding which one I like more.

This one? (Another auction for the same sign but lit up.)

Or this one?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Gtab posted:

If you absolutely cannot afford decorating sense and class, I guess spend your money on Number Two. :v:

The classy decoration is the old Pabst sign I've got my eye on, duh.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

So I got some gas masks that I need for props for a film I'm making, and I'm just wondering what certain pieces are, namely the non-perspired films and a small green baggy (not the carrying bag) with a metal bit at the end.

This is one of the ones I bought (which the seller jacked the price up on after I bought it). The films are in those little round tins and the baggy is below them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270586409539&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

No, it's an original film. I'm going to submit it to film festivals and everything. The gas masks don't really even come into play until the last like five or ten minutes.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Gtab posted:

I am sincerely interested, no troll. Let me know when it's done, please :) I'd like to see it.

Will do, my good man. Shooting is scheduled for the fall, then we've got editing and all that poo poo to do after, so I don't think it will be done until early next year, but I'll let you know.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

It's kind of an end of the world type of scenario, though it's implied in the story that it's more end of this part of the country. A small group of people are heading north to find something, though they don't quite know what they're looking for, just that they have to go and find it. Of course, the few other remaining survivors have gone all savage and aren't the nicest folks to be around. There are a few supernatural elements, too, that come about because of the accident that causes everything. I think it's going to turn out really cool. Hopefully it'll make it into some good festivals and who knows after that.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I suppose in the sense that both are post-apocalyptic in nature, though there's none of the good/evil stuff going on, the cause in my script is different and not really as well-defined, and it's much smaller in scope. I was much more inspired by McCarthy's The Road, but I've tried my best to make my own story and not borrow too heavily from other stories of the type, though there are certainly things that are common to most of these end of the world scenarios.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Revolvyerom posted:

You're making a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. movie aren't you

:v:
It does sound interesting though.

Heh, I was originally thinking of putting stuff like anomalies in, but the I realized it would be too specific of a thing to borrow.

spankmeister posted:

Well, not just that, more the "supernatural drive" that leads people somewhere where they don't know exactly what they'll find but they need to go anyway.

Don't get me wrong I didn't mean it in a bad way. :) Any story naturally lends and builds upon previous ones. It's basically the definition of culture.

Have you considered starting an ask/tell thread about being in the movie industry? :)

Oh, I didn't take it in a bad way, so no worries. I haven't read the book and I saw the miniseries when it first came out in 1994, so it wasn't really in my mind when I was writing. Though I guess there are parallels with the drive that's leading people somewhere, intentional or otherwise. Like you said, it's how stories work.

I think I'm too early in my career to start a thread of my own. Maybe once I get more time under my belt it'll be something I could have enough material to write about. At the moment my experience is relegated to the stuff I did in college and some smallish stuff afterward. This is going to be my first feature film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Alain Perdrix posted:

If you want someone to help with a soundtrack, let me know. A lot of my professional output has involved sparse guitar playing with extended technique methods, minimalist electro-acoustic noise, or voice-modulated no-input mixer feedback, which would maybe fit with a post-apocalyptic setting? I've done some soundtrack work before and had fun with it, and the University of Dundee's College of Art and Design in Scotland has exhibited some soundscape-y installations of mine.

I will say upfront that as this is a super low budget film, I can't really offer you any real compensation in terms of money, but you'll of course get credit and a copy of the film and some other little things. If that's okay, then yeah, I could definitely use some help with music. I've got one friend that I know for sure will want to do some stuff for it, but it would be good to have some other help so he doesn't get too weighed down trying to create music for the whole thing and can instead focus on making a few good pieces. I am definitely thinking minimalist so far as the soundtrack goes, single/double instrument tracks and atmospheric noise. No big orchestra pieces or anything like that. I think I might even buy a Theremin and do some work with that. Do you have any examples I can listen to?

spankmeister posted:

Do you read TVTropes? It's an amazing website, I often find myself clicking through it and after a seemingly short while looking out the window and wondering what happened to the sun all the sudden.

No, I don't. I've looked at, but there's something about the site that turns me off reading it. Not really sure what.

Oh, and because I think it got lost in the movie talk, quoting this to see if anyone can quell my curiosity. Also, does anyone know the substrate used in the filters in these masks (the other one I got is the tear drop shaped Soviet mask)? I'm guessing they're too new to use asbestos, though I guess you never know with those wacky Russians.

Detective Thompson posted:

So I got some gas masks that I need for props for a film I'm making, and I'm just wondering what certain pieces are, namely the non-perspired films and a small green baggy (not the carrying bag) with a metal bit at the end.

This is one of the ones I bought (which the seller jacked the price up on after I bought it). The films are in those little round tins and the baggy is below them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270586409539&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT