Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

spankmeister posted:

Nobody outside those tiny states and America cares about baseball anyway so whatever.

*ahem* Nippon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Seriously though, footie and American football should both be abolished and replaced with rugby.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

I like turtles posted:

http://www.hulu.com/road-no1

Pretty loving hardcore Band of Brothers style Korea show, from the perspective of Koreans, and actually in Korean.

High points so far: M1 Garand with bayonet used as hurled spear.

Holy poo poo they just hacked at a kid's hand with a big knife.

Too many blanks, but whatever, still pretty cool.

Eh, alright, so far there's a lot of back story on the main character. Not sure if it'll change or not.

Oh goddamn it I can't watch Hulu even when it's a Korean show!?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

I'm sure this has been posted somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find it; what's that site which lets you search all the main ammunition sites for the best prices? I can't seem to find the one I remember looking at.

\/\/ That's it, thanks. Too bad they don't seem to have anything for what I'm looking for. If anyone knows where to get decently priced new 6.5x50 Japanese, I'm all ears.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 14, 2010

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Pitch posted:

glorious Nippon, superior again

Meh, you don't find machines which take the charge cards outside of train stations.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

So Gtab did you buy that avatar for yourself, or did you get someone mad again?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

It only changed a few minutes ago.

I guess someone got tired of the awful insinuation that you're a terrible poster.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

thermobollocks posted:

I didn't know he was a mature single. In any case, he cleans up nice.

That's definitely not TTFA, judging from the pictures I've seen of him here.

Edit: This is a picture TTFA has posted of himself in the contractor thread in GiP
https://wi.somethingawful.com/73/737318e857a3708d5ab1e941784c5398c0ce4a26.jpg

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 20, 2010

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Dumb question from someone who doesn't know anything about revolvers. I've heard about how people in 'the old west' or whatever would carry their old single-action revolvers with one chamber empty so that the hammer didn't set off a round. Was this actually a possibility? Am I correct in assuming this isn't a problem with modern revolvers?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

You guys are slow as gently caress; it's been the new year for more than ten hours for me :smug:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

I know that standard .45 ACP loads are subsonic, but how close to the sound barrier are they? Will +P, +P+, +P++, etc. loads or loads with a light bullet be supersonic?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

It's primarily meant for Japanese people who just want to say that they've shot a gun. It's not for actually shooting in any real sense. You're probably going to go back to the US at some point, so just make time then and shoot a bunch. You'll use less money and have more fun.

Edit: Wait does that woman in the picture have a flak jacket on :psyduck:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Interrupt posted:

I rescued this early 1950's Mossberg bolt action shotgun (185-KA) from a basement. The barrel is clear and the trigger mechanism works so it looks like I should be able to get it firing again, but it's missing the bolt itself.

(yes, the trigger guard was farm-repaired with a metal tie at one point)

I'm seeing some parts available at http://www.havlinsales.com/bolt.htm for this gun, would the bolt pieces be the extractor and ejector they have listed?

Pitch already answered your question, but to reiterate that website doesn't have a whole bolt for that model, and frankly unless that gun has sentimental value it would probably take more time and money than it's worth to get it in working condition.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

SadWhaleFamily posted:

Similarly you could buy another example of a Mossberg 185-KA and take the bolt out of that (link is for a $50 gunbroker auction). I don't know what headspace issues could arise from it, though.

Yeah but at that point he might as well just use the new gun; the one in the picture is pretty rusted. Which is why I said it would probably be more than it's worth to restore the one he has there unless it has sentimental value.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Detective Thompson posted:

Thanks. Figured they were airsoft, but for some reason I just couldn't see them as L85s. I kept thinking they were something Chinese, for whatever reason.

It's probably because they don't have SUSATs attached. You don't often see SA80s without optics, so it looks weird at first glance.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Come to think of it why hasn't Pitch been hit yet? He has to be one of the highest volume posters in TFR.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

The Rat posted:

It's gotta be a partial inside job at least. I mean look at mine.

It's definitely someone who knows TFR fairly well. Hell, you only make a post or two a day on average, but were one of the first to get an avatar. If someone hadn't been around TFR for a while they probably wouldn't know that you're one of the best known posters.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Make that three of us who's first reaction was amused yet not entirely surprised that Cyrano did a drat structural analysis of pony avatars

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

I just noticed Craptacular just got the "50th and last" pony avatar, so I guess the scourge is over.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

How would you say/is there an accepted way of saying AN/PEQ-2? Say the letters, or is it "an peck"? Also what does AN/PEQ stand for?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Pitch posted:

Nothing. They're code letters that mean man-portable, laser-based, for special or multiple uses.

Is that a US mil coding scheme or something made up by the manufacturer? I don't suppose you have a link to a chart or something explaining the coding scheme?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

bulletsponge13 posted:

And the Army (according to every .mil historian I have ever read) did 80% of the fighting in the PTO.

Really? What's the background on this? I know there were Army units fighting in the PTO, but I always got the impression that the Marines were the major players in all the big battles.

\/\/ Yeah, but 80%? Does anyone have number on the relative troop strength?

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 5, 2011

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

poopgiggle posted:

nah Caro was over the top fake.

I don't believe that anyone that paranoid would post about their preparations for when the CIA comes to kill them on an Internet forum.

Then again Billy Freund happened so

If Caro was fake then he deserves a loving award, considering he went so far as to go to Libya and make videos of himself sounding crazy.

Like literally it would probably be the most elaborate and dangerous troll/fake ever, hands down.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Cyrano4747 posted:

Serial numbers weren't required until 1968 and you almost certainly won't find one on a pre-68 shotgun unless it was in a government inventory of some kind (military, police, prison, etc).

Most Winchester 1897s have serial numbers, from when they were first built in 1897. Though I do see some references to some not having serial numbers, chances are good that one does as well. They're on the underside of the receiver right above the loading gate, with one on the receiver itself and another (usually the same) on the barrel, as in this picture.

Edit: look at me and how fukkin beaten I am

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

A lot of it was also making it reliable enough to survive a variety of very dirty and difficult environments, having it be easy enough to manufacture that you could equip an entire army, old attitudes of some generals that infantry would immediately expend all their ammunition on first contact with the enemy, etc.

You could pretty easily find enough to discuss to write a whole thesis on the factors which delayed the widespread issue of semi-auto weapons. Not to mention that when one was finally issued, it took the form of the M1 Garand, which is mechanically kinda a weird weapon, with the en-bloc clip, despite the existence of pretty reliable detachable-magazine feeding mechanisms.

Edit: Goddamn did Cyrano get in ahead of me with a much more thorough post 0 for 2 today

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 1, 2011

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

JonReremy posted:

I'm not sure where to post this, so direct me if this should be somewhere else.

I have a question concerning getting my gun rights restored... About a year ago I got pulled over and searched and got caught with some bud. I got a letter in the mail a few days later saying that the court had declined to prosecute the case and thus I was not convicted.

I tried to buy a rifle (Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .223, it was pretty sick) and unsurprisingly NICS kicked it back. 5 months later the FBI sent me a letter back saying that I couldn't possess a gun because I was an "unlawful user of a controlled substance."

I'd like to buy a hunting rifle pretty soon. What do I need to do to get my gun rights restored?

Hunt with blackpowder :v:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Pitch posted:

Give us some credit. Do you have any idea how hard it is to make up hyperbole about a state that admitted to harvesting organs from its dead enemies to sell them on the grey market? It takes me hours to think up allegations that I can be sure aren't true.

Great Moses :stare: please link some sources or the thread with this

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

walrusman posted:

A parent can gift a gun to their minor children without issue.

You only have to be 16 to buy a long gun (18 for handgun) through private transfer in Maine, anyway. And I doubt that someone under 16 would be living away from their parents, so I'm guessing he's older than that.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Are all AK's with furniture that have those wooden VFGs Romanian in origin, or are there a number of places that manufacture them?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

The Gloaming posted:

Feel free to mock me after this post as I am sure it sounds like going into AA and asking if a Ferrari was a good car to put in a garage.

I am in college near where they make the Barrett 50 and have found a local dealer who will sell it to me at 2000 under the best price I can find online. I am a business student but also history so by proxy I love investments, war, and, guns.

Would buying one of these NIB and only using it on the off occasion I find a class to take on how it even works go up in value over time?

I know that they have made 1000s for the military but it just seems like something that gun buyers will want in 30 years when I have a kid and the wife makes me sell it for college.

Now feel free to flame the poo poo out of me. Just know I want to know as an investor. Not some guy who wants to hit cans on my farm at a mile away like in "Shooter".

Between this and your post in the shotgun thread you are not making a good impression here.

It's very unlikely to get more valuable, if you're a college student there's no goddamn way you can justify the price, and you sound like you don't know the first thing about guns, in which case a .50 cal rifle is the exact opposite of what you want.

Go read through the newbie thread and forget everything you learned from airsoft.

Edit: Jesus christ are there seriously people suggesting a college student invest in Class 3 firearms

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

I like turtles posted:

Cool, ok. My guy says that one's residency status doesn't disappear unless you actually renounce your citizenship. So if I establish residency by getting a Maine driver's license, and then end up in Canada, I'll be good to go, it sounds like.

This is relieving to hear. I had worried about this because I'm likely going to live in Japan, but wanted to buy some guns in the US every once in a while when possible. For now I'm still a full time student so I'm a dependent of my parents and figured I could still claim Maine as my permanent residence without a problem, but once I graduate and get a job I wasn't sure.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

I like turtles posted:

What I'm a little unclear on, based on the case linked by Craptacular: http://saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=290 is that the complainants apparently lost their residential status. I'm not sure how that works.
I think it may be different if you maintain a domicile in your state of residence, like my dad's house in this case. Even if I don't stay there hardly ever, it's still my base of operations in the US.

Yeah, my parent's have a place, so I use that as my address.

I did buy one gun once when I came back to the US for a visit, but for some reason my Maine ID (I actually don't have a driver's licence) wasn't enough to prove residency apparently. However the combination of my ID and my CCW worked for some reason. Of course the guy at Kittery Trading Post might just have not known. You'd think a valid ID with an address would be enough.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Can anyone identify the rifles/muskets used by the guys in these pictures? http://www.ericvalli.com/index.php?/stories/honey-hunters/

They're from Nepal, so I'm guessing it's British stuff. I'm wondering if they've been using the same hunting weapons passed down for generations.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

spankmeister posted:

Could they be Khyber Pass rifles?

They could certainly be copies, or maybe even original local manufacture. I'm still kind of interested if anyone knows what they might be copies of, if they are. I don't know drat about old muzzleloaders, so I can't tell.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

hunter x az posted:

Eh, the hi-point gets a bad rap for being a cheap handgun, however, it's a reliable shooter that can carry it's own -- not from stock though. Their magazine is poo poo and will give you FTF and FTE on occasion, because it's far too narrow from factory for MOST ammunition.

For 140$, the Hi-Point C9 is a defensible hand-gun that will do fine at the range. Would I carry as CWP? No, I want the Ruger LCP for that. Home Defense? No, I have my Glock. It's a range gun that's good for shooting rounds through.

Not everyone can afford a higher 200+ dollar gun to start with, that doesn't mean they're not ready. I'm the perfect example. I had a nice firearm but wanted to start with something that could take a beating, which with no doubt, the Hipoint C9 can. I get the hipoint hate, it's a terrible budget gun, but for shooting at the range, it's OK to start with imho.

Glocks are not "nice" firearms. They are good working guns. There is literally no reason to not practice on a Glock. In fact, if you plan to use it for defensive purposes there is every reason to use your Glock, because you want your muscle memory to be based around the feeling and controls of a Glock.

You are objectively wrong in effectively everything you have said and you should stop posting and read what people say.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Mad Dragon posted:

Birthplace of our National Anthem. :fsmug:

Goddamn that flag must be huge

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Do any of our resident posters well versed in the legal aspects of gun ownership know anything about potentially buying a gun without residence in a state?

I've been living in Japan for ~6 years (some people might remember me maybe? I used to post a fair amount, though I haven't posted much in TFR for a while and changed avatar) and I'm not sure if I'll reasonably be able to claim residence in a state for long.

Up until now I've been a student and have, as a dependent, been claiming my parent's home as my permanent residence. Using my state ID card (Maine, if it makes a difference) I've bought guns twice when back stateside for visits.

However, I just got a good job offer here starting once I graduate in March, and plan on staying. I'm no longer going to be a dependent, or back stateside much, but I'm going to make decent money for a new grad, and want to pick up some milsurp items even if I won't be able to do more than visit them every once in a while, under the theory that they're never going to get cheaper and I may be back stateside eventually.

My state ID has expired, so at the moment I just have a passport and a Maine resident CCL for identification.

Is it even legal to buy a gun if I can't prove residence in any state? Should I just grab a new state ID card when I visit next while I'm still a student?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Craptacular posted:

I have a vague recollection of a lawsuit in the past couple years against the ATF by someone in your position, because they couldn't legally buy a gun. I don't remember what the outcome was though, sorry. :shrug:

Comfy sponk posted:

I think it's still tied up in court of appeals. It's one of the SAF cases, something I cant recall right now, v. Holder. I think it was filed 2-3 years ago.

Yeah, I vaguely remembered this too, but wasn't sure if there had been any results and didn't find anything from googling.

Alaan posted:

Only buy face to face as a sovereign citizen :patriot:

This is probably what I'm going to have to do. The laws I see seem to only apply to FFLs, so I think a face-to-face transfer should work as long as I find someone who doesn't ask for state ID/mind selling to someone who's not a resident.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Wait, so you have a legally valid license to carry a firearm in Maine? Why doesn't that cut it for purchasing a firearm? That's how I proved residency in the state of Oregon and I bought handguns from FFLs and filled out several form 4473s and all of that, never an issue.

Because I also don't have a state ID or driver's license of any sort.

Last time I bought a gun I used my state ID (which has since expired) and my CCL, and I was told using both was good enough for proof. I'm figuring that without my state ID I'll not be able to buy from FFLs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

One day I will be happy
every day

Kommienzuspadt posted:

What? really? I just used my CHL. Does your CHL not have a photograph/current address? Like I said, in Oregon I've had no problem using solely my CHL as proof of residency. They did however specify that my address on my CHL MUST match my current address of residence. I got held up on purchasing my Glock 26 because I had just moved 3 days before and the CHL I had in my wallet had my (just barely) expired address.

Come to think of it maybe I could use my CHL now. The old Maine permit didn't have a picture, but when I renewed they gave me a new one that has a picture on it.