Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Anjow posted:

I know little about firearms. In film and TV, guards carry pistols. They hear a noise and decide to go and check it out, and on the way they cock the pistols. This seems to happen with shotguns, too.

Is this silly? To my uneducated mind it wouldn't make sense for them to carry a weapon that's not (barring the safety) ready to fire as they wouldn't know when they'd need it, they might get surprised by someone and having to take time to cock it before firing would get them killed.

Short answer: The guys who do sound work for TV and movies love to insert the noise of guns cocking, basically whenever a gun comes onto screen. They even do this when the guns in question don't actually have hammers to cock (for example, when a cop draws their Glock handgun, a striker-fired semiautomatic, and the sound of a hammer being cocked is inserted into the scene).

Long explanation: It depends on the gun's action. Some handguns are single-action. This means that the trigger only performs one action--in this case, releasing the hammer and letting it spring forward into the firing pin, impacting the primer and firing the round. Single-action semiautomatic handguns can (and should) be carried "cocked and locked" with a round in the chamber, the hammer back and the safety on. When you draw the weapon, it's a simple movement of your thumb to release the safety and make the gun ready to fire. Other guns are double-action. This means that the trigger both pulls back and releases the hammer. The hammer can be manually cocked, in many cases, but there's less of a reason to do so. Double-action guns are commonly carried with a round in the chamber and the safety (if there is one) off, relying on the heavy trigger pull (since the trigger does two things on a double-action gun, the force required to pull it is greater) to prevent negligent discharges. Police officers, for instance, carry their sidearms with a round in the chamber, so all they need to do in order to fire the weapon is draw and pull the trigger. Revolvers can be either single-action or double-action as well, though since they lack safeties they shouldn't be carried around in a holster with the hammer cocked.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Does anyone happen to know what Swiss laws are like re: foreigners going to ranges? I'm going to be in Europe over the summer and while I wasn't planning on hitting Switzerland the chance to go shooting would make it worthwhile. I expect my status as a foreigner makes it a long shot but I figure that if there's anywhere in Europe where I can just show up and shoot guns it would be Switzerland.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Are you just loving with me in a really lazy way?

I didn't feel like waiting, so I just saved it to my desktop. It came up as a simple jpg with no animation. Yours saved properly as an animated gif.

It's changed now; they weren't talking about the USMC logo.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

I wonder if he was expecting it to turn into a Waffenampt or something.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

I only saw the HCC thing after the fact; here's hoping he's okay. I've never had to deal with real depression in my own life but I've known people who have and I can only hope he soon finds a way to a better place, mentally.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

My uncle keeps angling for a transfer up to the maximum-security part of Pelican Bay because apparently all he'd have to do all day is watch a bunch of security cameras and push buttons. I don't know what his issued sidearm is, though, or if it's different at his facility than at Pelican.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

From what my uncle's told me, the tower guards get rifles, but the guards who have to interact with inmates don't get weapons. He told me a story once about a guard on an inner tower (at his facility there are two rings of towers, where the outer ring covers the perimeter and the inner ring overlooks the yard) went nuts one day and started emptying his rifle into a yard full of people... and nobody got hurt, so it might well have been a Mini. :v:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

joehonkie posted:

Someone recommend me some solid shooting glasses now that I have Lasik and don't need big cheap ugly things that fit over my old glasses.

Out of curiosity, what did you use back when you had glasses? I won't be getting Lasik anytime soon.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Do any Oregoons know the particulars of the residency requirements for purchases? I live in Portland now but I still have my California DL--if I go to a shop, will they accept something like a photocopied utility bill or do I have to go down to the DMV and get an official Oregon photo ID?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Comfy sponk posted:

Best bet is to go get the OR ID, some dealers might hassle you about being from out of state. You here for the long term?

I'm going to college, yeah, and while I spent the first year in the dorms so owning guns was already ruled out, I'm going to be living off-campus for the remainder. I know for a fact my CA DL won't cut it--I asked a guy at a local store about it and both he and his manager said no way, no how. I'll go down and get an OR ID then.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

The Sphinxster posted:

I am think that your ID has show your current physical address and that it is a federal thing.

The way it was explained to me was that there's an Oregon state law that you can't purchase a gun with an ID from any state that has a waiting period (CA has one, OR doesn't). The rationale is to avoid situations where Californians circumvent the waiting period by hopping across the state line.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

The Sphinxster posted:

OK, that's fine for the OR law, but form 4473 instructions (I've just looked it up) state pretty explicitly that you have to have at least one gov't issued ID that has your address of residence on it. I could still be wrong, and I'm no lawyer, but:

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473.pdf

Look at 20a in the explicative section.

quote:

For example, if a US citizen has two States of residence and is trying to buy a handgun in State X, he may provide a driver's license issued by State Y and another government-issued document from State X showing his residence address.

So if it weren't for OR's thing about CA DLs, it would work. In any event, I'm going to be picking up an OR ID so my DL doesn't even need to come out of my wallet.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

The Sphinxster posted:

edit: Which school in PDX?

Reed. Going to be my second year there in the fall.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

The Sphinxster posted:

Oh yeah, I think I read that in some other thread. I went to UP. No, not PSU :argh:

Welp, play some pool at the Bar at the End of the Universe for me.

I know UP, we crush you guys at Ultimate all the time. :smug:

I'm not going to be able to visit the Pub until my senior year, though. :argh:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

What kind of effect are orange or yellow lenses on shooting glasses supposed to have? High contrast for trap shooting?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Gtab please stop being full of poo poo.

having chaperoned 200+ new shooters to their first time to the range, i have seen 3-4 glock limpwrists (which was par for the other poly framed pistols we shot, including XDs and M&Ps).

And if we're bringing wideness into it... I don't think there's much basis for argument. At one point, one of those 200+ was me, and I wear small or even extra-small gloves--I have no problems with the size of the Glock frame. Many (more than half, actually) of the 200+ were women, so some of them had hands even smaller than mine. I've never seen somebody shoot a Glock and then say it was too big for them.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Er, "possibly construed" doesn't seem like the right way to think about it. It is a grip. It may also be a bipod, but regardless of this fact it is still a grip and in putting it on a pistol you would be putting a forward grip on a pistol. Even if you swear that, honest, you're only using it as a bipod, you will still be committing a crime.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Totally TWISTED posted:

Question: Huh?

Too "smart" for jury duty.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

If I were choosing a handgun to be a "I might run into a bear or other hostile wildlife, and said hostile wildlife might try to kill me" gun, it would probably be a .44 or a 10mm, not because of any dim view of .357's stopping power but mostly out of a desire not to take chances. That said, having said gun would require either some other reason to have it or some reason why I couldn't have bear spray or a shotgun loaded with slugs, in that order.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Terrible Robot posted:

Am I the only one bothered by this?

My uncle is an officer at a different CA institution, and he complains about the difficulty of the mandatory pistol qualifications. Corrections officers expect to use their guns much less than policemen.

The implication that they "weren't able" to teach them to use semi-autos is ridiculous, but keep that in mind.

Question--870 Police Magnums: worth some of the higher price point from a functionality standpoint, or are the advantages purely cosmetic?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Come on guys, he said semi-auto.

Borchardt. :v:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Daikon posted:

If we don't need safeties on our handguns (E.g glocks), why do we need safeties on our rifles (E.g AR15s)?

Most modern handguns are designed, at least to some extent, with military use in mind--and armies like safeties. From an administrative standpoint, it's nice to have a backup for when somebody fucks up.

On a modern handgun, which won't fire unless the trigger is pulled, they're not something you technically "need," but they're something that's sort of nice to have. Keep in mind, also, that Glocks have a DA trigger pull--on a single-action semi-auto, it's nice to have the option of cocked and locked.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Boner Wad posted:

Should I be careful not to touch the insides of a hollow point bullet for fear of getting lead poisoning?

I think I'm getting a little too paranoid about lead poisoning recently, I usually wash my hands at the club and after cleaning my gun. Any other things I should be doing? Anyone else get blood tests to check lead levels? If I'm shooting 100 rounds every other week, mainly outdoors, I should be fine, right? :)

I don't know that you can get lead poisoning through the skin of your hands. I've never heard of lead from bullets being a health issue, actually. I know that the lead oxide in primers is hazardous, but unless you shoot indoors or reload that's not really a problem. Wash your hands after shooting or cleaning (though a friend of mine eats after handling ammo and primers all the time without issue) and you'll be fine.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Gtab posted:

556s are mistakes that somehow escaped abortion foisted upon a gun-buying populace that desires only an actual 551 or 552, and no amount of tarty parts and/or suppressors can fix this hideous error on behalf of SIG-Sauer.

What are the primary differences, apart from auto/no-auto, between a 551/552 and a 556?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

_firehawk posted:

A bit ago Southern Michigan Arms had a .40SW High Power for sale. I didn't know if it was awesome or a sacrilege.

Browning makes new-production .40 BHPs. Call it sacrilege but it's reality.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

If you SBSed that it would look like it had a really dramatic protruding brow.

Even with the long barrel it looks like it's got a unibrow right there above where the barrel is.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

They also cause aircraft engines to shut off immediately and send them plummeting down out of the sky.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > The Firing Range > TFR General Question Thread: Everything We Know About Guns We Learned Playing Call Of Duty

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Daikon posted:

If you do that with both eyes open, you see double targets.

I'm told there's a trick to this, and I'm working on it in my backyard with airsoft (I can't close only one eye). Something about simply ignoring the input from your non-dominant eye.

In any event, as people have said, you always focus on the front sight.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Motronic posted:

Something that worked for me and some other people, but not for everyone: Put a small piece of tape on your shooting glasses that covers your front sight from your non-dominant eye. This ie easier said than done, so it will take some time to find the right spot and size (small!). Shoot like that for a while and it will help you learn how the proper focus feels with both of your eyes.

I've done that before and it works well, I just want to develop my shooting without it because I won't always have tape on my glasses.

As far as I can tell, it's a matter of figuring out which of the two targets you see is the right one and dealing with the fact that it's a little fuzzy.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

When was the last one? I remember one back when I was lurking where a guy posted pictures of his home-done barrel job on his 12ga... "yeah, the barrel's a little short, but it won't leave my house."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

FunOne posted:

Question about my what to do with my G32. I received the gun as a gift, brand new, and it is my first hand gun.

I've taken it to the range a few times, and I'm all over the map, even at short yardage. After the first few mags I start flinching and pushing all over the place.

The thing is, I don't know if this behavior is because it is my first handgun, or because the texturing is eating up my (admittedly computer-guy soft) hands. I end up having sore spots on the inside of my first knuckles and at the base of my right thumb after even moderating shooting.

My currently plan is to shoot through the ammo I have, since I've bought it and the experience still counts to see if anything improves in either eating my hand or placing my shots. If not, I'll see if I can sell the thing and get a different gun.

Is this valid? Is it possible that I have an incorrect 'Glock' grip or anything silly like that is killing my hands (besides 357 SIG MAN STOPPA), or should I just go ahead and sell it towards a CZ in 9mm?

357 SIG is a hell of a cartridge for a first handgun. I'd recommend putting the G32 aside for now and picking up a .22 pistol. Put a thousand rounds through the .22 and then come back to the Glock to see how you do.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

spankmeister posted:

This is gtab irl:

That's okay, this is Kommie:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Inspector_71 posted:

Issue with this comparison: The Frenchman loving owns.

I mean, give Kommie superpowers and you might get something pretty similar.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

I know I've heard, repeatedly, that the military has experienced performance problems with shorter barrels on the AR platform--does that even extend to 16" barrels, which I see all the time for civilian use? Do you have to go shorter than that (down to 14.5"?) to see performance issues?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Okay. I wondered why "SHORT BARRELS ARE NOT ENOUGH" wasn't a thing along the same lines as "lol 5.56 poodle shooter" and "9mm europellet"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

recon_etc posted:

If you hold a revolver wrong (say, one chambered in .357 Magnum, which was around by 1939), you can quite easily get your finger hosed by the escaping gases, and according to some even lose a finger. It's an amateur mistake, so that might fit your criteria. The actual revolver itself would be unharmed, though, so I'm not sure if that'd be an issue.

Edit: There are probably actual cases complete with pictures of people losing fingers like that if you were to search for such, but my stomach isn't particularly strong enough to go try that one out.

Yeah, but (from a creative perspective) most readers won't know that and would find it silly/stupid for that to happen.

For most readers "old/lovely gun explodes" will work fine.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Glock ergonomics don't work for some people, but other than that I can't think of any real bad things to say about them. I can tell you that there are other guns that feel better in my hand, but I still shoot fine with a Glock and the other advantages of the pistol (reliable as gently caress, built like tanks, simple in construction) more than make up for it. Unless your friend really doesn't like the ergonomics, there are few pistols that can match a Glock, function-wise, in its price range. A 17 would be a fine purchase.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

The Bananana posted:

elaborate

edit: Not on my being retarded, that's a given.

Glocks are reasonably priced, exceedingly reliable and durable (if you look around you can find a Glock torture test during which the guy actually drops the gun out of an airplane, goes and digs it out of the ground, and then shoots it again), and have a pretty solid aftermarket. Now, as said, their reliability isn't head-and-shoulders above other guns (most new-production guns are, by reasonable standards, perfectly reliable), but if you're looking at defensive applications then it's nice to have that extra assurance.

On the other hand, their stock trigger pull is heavy because the trigger is their only safety, they're not the best-looking guns in the world, and their ergonomics might not suit some people. It all depends on what application your friend is looking at. If he wants a carry/HD pistol, I would recommend a Glock 19 over most other guns on the market. If he wants a pistol that will be fun at the range, he might look elsewhere--or he might shoot a Glock, fall in love, and want to shoot Glocks from here until the end of time. He really needs to give them a try, think about what he's looking for out of this pistol, and make his decision based on requirements and some amount of subjective feel.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 29, 2010

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Hussar posted:

Umm, Glocks aren't double action, at all. The striker is plastic poo poo cocked by the action of the plastic slide, and the plastic trigger releases it. Single double action.

Glock slides are metal, actually. Not sure about the striker but I wouldn't be surprised if it's metal too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pitch posted:

Lessons for driving? Europe. :rolleyes:

Where in the States do you live?

That said, specific lessons for ice driving? drat. Not that I've ever lived somewhere where I'd need them.