Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

How do I discourage insane dudes at the range from telling me their war stories and whatnot while I'm busy trying to shoot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

slidebite posted:

It might also help if you wear hot neon pink clothing.

...but that's what I had on. :bigtran:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Count Sacula posted:

The PPS seems like a winner on paper, but I can't find anywhere here (Tampa) to rent one. What's the word, TFR?

I love my PPS, and it's sexy as hell, fun to shoot, and has never, ever given me any trouble, even after dropping it in a sandy creek bed during a hot pursuit (hog hunting).

The only real complaints are 1. It's so small, the recoil is rough on soft, girly hands (like mine) and 2. It has a pretty small mag. 6, 7 or 8 round $50 mags.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Does anyone here have any experience with the Beretta 90 Two?

Ive been kicking around the idea of getting a P99 for a while, but now that I've got some cash to actually do it, I'm beginning to wonder if it's what I really want. So any suggestions? Looking for a 9mm, full size pistol.

I have a FN9 that I love, so I feel like the 90 two would be similar, and thus I'd like it as much or more, but I like the internal striker and sleek looks of my PPS, and therefore also think I'd like a P99 as much or more...so...there, help me decide guys.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Hey, didn't we used to have a range review thread? I looked for it, but couldn't find it.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Hey, I bought a LASER!!! and want to mount it on my AR, but the damned thing only came with a weaver rail mount. I managed to force it onto my picatinny rail, but it still has some play, not much, but enough that I reckon with enough movement, and definitely once I fire, it'll be dancing all over the place. Any tips or suggestions? Time is of the essence, as my hunting trip in less than a week!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Hey so, who here has a lot of experience taking 100% fresh meat out to the range for the first time? Any tips, rules, advice you can share with me? I've done so a few times before with some friends and the gf, but I'd like some other points of views and perspectives.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

infrared35 posted:

Always stress the safety rules. Make sure if you're the only one out there "supervising," you only have one other person shooting at a time until they've all shown they can be safe and follow your instructions. Start them off with a .22, probably a rifle, and have each shooter practice stance, aiming, and dry fire trigger pull a little before they go loud. Give them only one round at a time until they get comfortable with the gun, then give them more bullets. Then repeat the process with a .22 handgun if you've got one. Then consider moving up the power scale, again having each shooter try the gun out with dry fire and then giving them one round at first. If you have one, a pistol-caliber rifle is a great step up from a .22. A medium-to-large .38 Special revolver is a good beginner's gun as well.

The thing is, try to make it fun while still stressing safety. If you can, get some reactive targets - empty (or full) pop cans, small or large bottle of water, a hated icon from a children's puppet show, etc.

So I suppose... start with my AR... move to my 9mm pistols, and then end with my 12 gauge? Those are the only calibers I have...

I need guns, lots of guns.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Thank you gentlemen, the "one bullet" tip especially, since I hadnt thought of it. Anything else?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

) : I thought I was done buying guns. Now I know otherwise...

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

I like turtles posted:

They sure do make a semi variant. And it looks with its 16" barrel.
Picture isn't working, look here: http://www.impactguns.com/store/KRISS-CRBSO.html

I'm sorry, but that is just the most retarded looking gun.

That's just me though.

Just sayin'.

The Bananana fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 6, 2010

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Is there a gear thread anywhere? Could someone start one? I have a lot of questions about vests and molle and booby tassels, and I'd like some answers.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Hey, I'm looking for some quality electronic ear-pro, preferably the kind that lets me hear normal stuff, and only blocks gunshots. Price isnt really an issue, so much as quality. Recommendations?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Not bad looking, and the price sounds pretty darned good compared to what I was looking at.

Any other suggestions? Again, price isn't my main concern here, as much as quality and features of the product.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

foghorn posted:

I use those. I like those.

Only problem is that my ears get sweaty if you leave them on too long.

Will they fulfill my needs?

This might belong in the hunting thread/might not be achievable, but I want ear pro that lets me hear both my buddy and the surrounding environment while we're out hunting, but that still offers me the protectection I desire for my hearing. (gunshots are loud for my pussy ears.)

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Well... I'm probably gonna be stupid and just buy these:

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-MT15H69FB-09-Com-Tac-II-Headset/dp/B0014ZYYKW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1287322737&sr=8-1

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

So does anybody have any experience with the Peltor comtac 2's?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Tim Pawlenty posted:

Walther PPS? I'm thinking of getting one, they look like a nice carry gun. Anyone have any experience with one?

My PPS was my first gun, and has never ftf or fte on me, ever. It's a little peppy for 9mm, but super accurate. Fits great in my medium sized hands, and when my ex used it, she had no trouble with it, with those stupid, dumb small hands of hers.

It's small, and it's thin, but it's no ruger LCP or anything; still it fits almost anyhwere you can imagine, and I know some of the other guys in here have carried with it before, so maybe they can tell you about how well it conceals.

My only gripe is with walthers $50 loving dollar mags. Mine came with just one 7 rounder (they make 6,7, or 8 round mags) and so I ended up dishin' out an extra hundred for 2 mags.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

PPS Krew Check in here please

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Schigolch posted:

I agree with everything here, except i have not experienced a similar number of failures to return to battery. It has never happened to me, but happened once or twice when my wife shot it *extremely* gingerly when loaded with cheap FMJ. What DID happen to me after one range session was some tiny piece of debris somewhere down around the slide release spring or something caused it to lock itself closed, until it magically unlocked after a few field strips and cleanings. Never did identify the debris or cause, but it was definitely different from the slide lock issues the early PPSs had.

I don't mind the trigger guard mag release at all.

In general it is a phenomenal carry gun; shoots very well for its size, pleasant trigger, disappears with an MTac under anything but hipster fit t-shirts, and mostly disappears under those too.

So you'd recommend the MTAC holster?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Uh oh, I need to know if I successfully balanced my equation:

I bought an MTAC for my PPS today, but I also bought an Uncle Mike's OWB kydex for my P99 today, will the awesomeness of one off-set the terribleness of the other?!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

So what's the consensus around here regarding the Remington 1911's? Any good? The price is pretty tempting.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

So this is gonna be my first Christmas in the gun world, and I wanted to know: What are the holiday deals like? Is there a"Black Friday" or "Cyber Monday" for guns and gear?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Does anyone have any experience with - or thoughts on - the [url= Pan AV or its kin[/url] from Ultradot?

No experience with this, but it looks like a solid little red dot. Make sure you do get a good feel for the market though, or else you'll do what I did, and buy a BSA piece of poo poo.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

But seriously, is anyone keeping up with the World Series right now? Texas, it pains me to say, is getting it's rear end beat ridiculously.

I mean...

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Ok, I've got a question about something that may be a bit of a no no, but i'll ask anyway: I'm considering purchasing a small gun to carry concealed full-time in a lock box under my seat in my car (as in leaving it in there permanently). Is this a.) legal, b.) safe, c.) smart? And if so, or mostly so, what's a small gun that can withstand the heat of an enclosed car in summertime Texas?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

ok, sounds good, thanks for the info guys.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

OK, so I'm gonna bite the bullet and grab a 1k case of ammo online. What's the deal with the Polymer-coated steel Tula ammo? Is it any good? I have a decent quality, recent manufactur AR, so I'm safe to assume it'll eat this stuff, which I also assume is to be considered a far unhealthier diet than the Federal it's used to being feed?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I think it's basically the same stuff as Wolf.

Well...I've never used that either. Is it (or Wolf) fairly reliable?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Totally TWISTED posted:

Oakleys.

I like my Oakleys. They let me see everything, and I'm pretty confident in their ability to stop most anything*.

*except for MAYBE a bullet

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

I'll ask in here too:

Will a TLR-2s fit on a sig 250 rail?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Limbus posted:

Is it a bad idea to put a pack of silica gel in the chamber to absorb moister?

Well... Is it?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Hey, I'm looking at HD 9mm ammo, and I was wondering: Is there any difference or benifit from using a 124 gr round to using a 147 gr?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Propagandalf posted:

From what I understand, no. 147gr doesn't expand quite as reliably as 124gr at standard velocities. If you move up to a 147gr +p, the expansion benefit isn't worth the recoil gain. But that's a user preference, try it out and see if you like it.

Well the non +p stuff is fired at a lower velocity, so I thought that would be better, as it wouldn't zip through an attacker and into the school children across the street that always happen to standing in the trajectory of my firing.

FWIW, I've curretly got some Golden Sabers in 124 gr, but I've never fired them (yes, I know, I'm supposed to practice with my carry and HD ammo, blah blah blah. Those are expensive bullets mother fuckers ).

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

^^^^^^^^^^Thanks^^^^^^^^^^^

Totally TWISTED posted:

How do you know they even cycle in your handgun? I mean loving really fire at least a magazine worth of rounds before being a tightwad with your wallet. You buy way too much food as it is anyway fatty.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Frag Viper posted:

Well I made sure my first gun was both aesthetically pleasing, reliable and functional, so no, I dont have any plans to sell it. But I suppose it depends on what gun your first gun was, and the circumstances surrounding its acquisition.

And the scar looks sexy, but having never fired it, and only having had limited time with an m14, I can't offer much advice there.

Personally though, I'd prefer the newer rifle. That's me though, I'm shallow, and have almost no class.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

tomstuart posted:

I would like to get some gun mags to have laying around the house. Any suggestions on ones that are pretty good/decent and have good photos and good writing?

What kind of writing do you want on your magazines? Most of mine say 9mm Parabellum on them.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Uh, is there any reason I shouldn't shoot at a coin? The bullet's just gonna pass right throught...right?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Ozmiander posted:

Dessert Seagulls as far as the eye can see.

Mmmm... Dessert Seagulls sound delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Quick question here: When I received my Sig 250, it was covered with some goop. Should I clean that off before firing, and if I didn't, should I clean it off now, after having fired it? Maybe I'll just leave it on forever. seriously though, whats the goop for, and how do I get it off?